User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
jaco de lucia
Jaco de Lucia

Merging some great bass technologies together in one bass

Hi folks,

It's been a while since my last major post--I'm the guy who is obsessed with the flamenco bass player Carles Benavent, to the point where I went out and bought several hollowbody basses and converted one of them into something worthy of his style of playing.

The footage is of me playing this unique blend of technologies--Q-tuner pickups ($300/pair) and H G Thor Labs epoxy treatment on the fingerboard (made fretless by me). I also gutted the electronics and made it simpler to use (one master volume, one pickup blend knob, one Vari-Tone switch, one tone knob) and added a 5th string (a high C string) to be able to have more chording options. The bass is a 1990s tobacco sunburst DeArmond Starfire bass.

I recorded this footage without much rehearsal beforehand, and my nails were a little too long to play cleanly, but you get an idea of how the Q-tuners and H G Thor Labs fingerboard treatment work together. The tone is of the bridge pickup only, and the bass is plugged in direct into the PC soundboard without any effects. If the volume is kinda low, I apologize. The tone is a little thin because of lighter gauge strings--but this is the sound that is preferred in "bajo flamenco".

Enjoy!

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
jaco de lucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
McShredder
Banned

Wow, sounds pretty damn good

Not like im into bass tone or anything, but i did enjoy your playing
McShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
WhyLater
When you can now?

I know you're playing straight into the computer here, but what amp do you play through? I'm interested in considering what sort of amp would recreate your sound best.

Great playing, by the way.
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
WhyLater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #4
jaco de lucia
Jaco de Lucia

Thanks guys! For the small coffeehouse gigs, (oddly enough) I use a simple Danelectro Nifty Seventy amp. It has the right warmth to tease out the mwah factor out of the fretless basses. In larger (and louder) venues, I employ a Carvin BRX112 (no longer made). It weighs about 40 lbs, but is an 800W amp with a 12" speaker with a neodymium magnet--very strong mag field means smaller magnet, so less weight. With the volume at "1", it is already loud enough for most bar gigs. Guitarists sometimes laugh at my amp when they see it--they think it is a toy because it is smaller then their rig, but when I plug in and turn it on, their jaws usually drop at the sheer volume this thing puts out. And it is not just about volume--the tone is great. Best investment I ever made on an amp.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
jaco de lucia is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: