Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Can a Strat Divebomb Well?

Basically what the title asks. Can the tremolo on strats, namely american strats, divebomb harmonics or make them scream well? Only wondering cuz I love the sound and feel of the strats, i need a guitar with atleast one humbucker (HSS) and I want a guitar with a tremolo bar.
Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
konigstiger

well it sort of can, but not nearly as well as a guitar with a floyd... ...but you can get a strat with a floyd... ...there will probably be tuning issues as well, as the divebombs would knock a strat out of tune (probably)
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
konigstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
MT in Austin

With the standard tremolo, dive bombing will often result in major tuning issues. You could always install a Floyd Rose tremolo and locking nut on a strat if you really want to go nuts. Fender used to offer a strat with a floyd rose and locking nut. I don't know if they still do.

I had to block the tremolo on my strat because I couldn't be gentle with it. I was always going out of tune.

Last edited by MT in Austin : 02-17-2009 at 10:49 PM.
MT in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
codybcool
UG Monkey

EVH anyone? I guess mods probably helped him out a bit though..
codybcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Yea EVH is a ballpark of where id like to be in terms of divebombing ect.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
5th_fret
One of UG's Anime Freaks

it is not a problem of the strat as a whole as it is a problem of the type (non-locking) of bridge.

edit: regarding tuning issues.

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
5th_fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Pepefloydean

A standard strat tremolo will do the same job as a strat with a floyd. The only difference is that the standard tremolo will produce several tuning problems.

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Pepefloydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
5th_fret
One of UG's Anime Freaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy
Yea EVH is a ballpark of where id like to be in terms of divebombing ect.

you need a floyd.

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
5th_fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
necrosis1193
Better LG than AQ Shipley

I can do it fine with barely any tuning loss on a 6-point with everything stock that would effect it except for graphite in the nut. A 2-point can do it fine.

Baltimore Orioles: 52-42
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2013: 8-8
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
wolfy808
UG Fanatic

For everyone to suggest EVH used a floyd: he uses a standard Strat bridge on Van Halen 1. He wound his strings above the string hole and the string, and I think he did some other things. Maybe install a locking nut?
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
wolfy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

I think ud need to get a special bridge if ur gunna get a locking nut, no? Gotta tune it.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #12
Lethal Dosage
Break it Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy
I think ud need to get a special bridge if ur gunna get a locking nut, no? Gotta tune it.

Yeah youd need fine tuners otherwise once you locked down you would go out of tune again.
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Lethal Dosage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
melton100

If it is set up well it can a lot... I do a lot of whammy stuff with my strat and rarely do I have problems.
melton100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

They is is indeed all in a good set-up. Even a well set-up Squier strat can handle dive bombs.

There's nothing magical about the Floyd Rose design that gives them three times the range and tuning stability of a regular Strat vibrato. The only real difference is on a Floyd Rose the strings are locked at both the nut and the bridge itself, whereas on the regular Strat trem they can only be locked at the tuners. It's a simple question of locked in two places versus locked in one.

Hell if you took the fine tuners out of a Floyd Rose, then it really would be just a regular Strat trem but with a locking nut installed.
Of course FR's are also often recessed, another difference, though there's no technical reason why a Strat trem can't be recessed too.

As such, you can dive bomb without a Floyd Rose just fine. It's just you have to make sure the guitar is set up better, and you have to accept that if you try swinging the guitar aroudn by the bar like the Dragonforce guys do, you're going to end up pulling the guitar out of tune. But heavy vibrato and the occasional dive, that's fine. Graphite or roller nut, locking tuners, make sure your spring tension is right for the strings you use, and you're set.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 AM   #15
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

It can dive perfectly fine, it's the staying in tune afterward that is the problem.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 AM   #16
JELIFISH19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
They is is indeed all in a good set-up. Even a well set-up Squier strat can handle dive bombs.

There's nothing magical about the Floyd Rose design that gives them three times the range and tuning stability of a regular Strat vibrato. The only real difference is on a Floyd Rose the strings are locked at both the nut and the bridge itself, whereas on the regular Strat trem they can only be locked at the tuners. It's a simple question of locked in two places versus locked in one.

Hell if you took the fine tuners out of a Floyd Rose, then it really would be just a regular Strat trem but with a locking nut installed.
Of course FR's are also often recessed, another difference, though there's no technical reason why a Strat trem can't be recessed too.

As such, you can dive bomb without a Floyd Rose just fine. It's just you have to make sure the guitar is set up better, and you have to accept that if you try swinging the guitar aroudn by the bar like the Dragonforce guys do, you're going to end up pulling the guitar out of tune. But heavy vibrato and the occasional dive, that's fine. Graphite or roller nut, locking tuners, make sure your spring tension is right for the strings you use, and you're set.

There's a huge difference between Strat trems and Floyd Roses. It's much more than being locked in two different places. And the double locking thing comes from the nut, not the bridge. Every type of bridge is locked at the bridge because there is no possible way for the string to move. If you have locking tuners, it's technically double locking since it's locked at the tuners and bridge. The main difference is that the trem arm is further back from the from the pivot point (knife edges) and the saddles are farther back. The locking nut also makes it decreases the actual string length so you have the ability to dive more since it's the angle of the trem and nut vs the trem and tuners. Bring a Floyd Style bridge's bar to the body of the guitar and u'll notice that it's unplayable in this condition because there's so much slack in the strings. Do the same with a Strat trem and you won't be able to do the same thing. A floyd can go down so much that the strings will become attached to the pickup magnets. A strat trem can't go nearly as far down or up.

My strat hasn't been tuned in a month and it's still perfectly fine. I do have the American 2-point synchronized trem and locking tuners so that helps fine. But it does not dive like a Floyd. I thought it did until I got my RG. The 2 different trems are not even close and can't even be compared. They're for two different purposes.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
f22master
Floyd Rose Know-It-All

for anyone wondering.. EVH used a standard synchronized tremolo, oiled brass nut with SUPER large string slots, and wound his strings above the wraps(and NOT under string trees).
i have a 6point trem and it keeps tune really well. i tune up about once a week(once a month on my OFR). i have a stock plastic nut and cheap tuners. my nut slots(lol) are alittle bigger and i dont use string trees. i also lube my nut (again lol) with pencil lead(graphite). with the proper setup a strat trem can really take some abuse!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
f22master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #18
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19
words
Not even close.

On a regular vintage vibrato style bridge, the strings can move in the bridge a little. One of the primary causes of tuning issues with a Fender Stratocaster style vibrato is strings shifting and binding not in the nut, but in the bridge itself. On a Floyd they can't, hence your double-locking.

As far as distance goes, that only applies if your guitar isn't set up very well. If your Floyd is able to dive down so far the strings become magnetically stuck to the pickups, your spring tension is too loose. You're talking about being able to dive beyond any point of sonic resonance and that's not something to brag about, that is in fact very bad.
On the flip side if your Strat vibrato can't dive down as much as a Floyd then again, you've got tension issues. Just as with the Floyd being too loose, you might have the Strat's springs too tight.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
I Poke Badgers
With Pens

Charvel! Check out their Strats, see what you think.
I Poke Badgers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: