Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
polfuelmen84

Exclamation NEED HELP!! Classical Guitar expert needed.

I recently purchased a Savona SN-20 classical guitar. The problem is I can not seem to find any information anywhere on it. I do not know how reputable the sources are but this is what I found out...
It was supposidly made bout 30-50 years ago. It was made out of a local wood only grown in Brazil. There were only a couple hundred made when there was a wild fire destroying the trees. Thats all I could find out. I brought it to a local guitar shop and the guy who owned the guitar shop said he's never seen anything like it. He said it could be Brazillian Rosewood. Which you basically cant find a solid top with it anymore. Again who actually knows.
I've been trying to do a lot of research and reading and can't find much of anything. There is also a Savona International Guitar Competition in Savona, Italy. So that would lead me to believe they are some how linked? Any information anyone would have would be really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

_TrevoR_
polfuelmen84@yahoo.com
polfuelmen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
leondb
AE86 User

Did you pay $2500 for it?
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
leondb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
polfuelmen84

Quote:
Originally Posted by leondb
Did you pay $2500 for it?

haha no I paid $100 for it why do you ask? I love it though, very nice sound once I put some new strings on her and got it tuned up.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Confusius
UG Nerd

Pics!

I'll look around see if I find anything...

EDIT: lmfao, everything I've found are threads made by you asking about it.

Call me Kyrl, pronounced Curl

DOIN DAT FUNKY DANCE

Last edited by Confusius : 02-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Confusius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
polfuelmen84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusius
Pics!

I'll look around see if I find anything...

EDIT: lmfao, everything I've found are threads made by you asking about it.

Thats awesome lol Anytime I found anyone with a picture or a blog or article I put something on there haha thanks for the help though
Old 11-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
appmona

HI ... I have a Savona SN20 (no serial#) that I purchased in 1972 at the department store Lechmere's, for about $50 . Lechmere's went out of business quite some time ago. The guitar is amazing! It was in my attic for years and it survived the most harsh conditions, heat, humidity, cold and today the guitar plays just as well as the first day I bought it. It has a nice tone. The back and sides are made out of a beautiful Brazilian Rose Wood which is quite rare and expensive today. Mine is identical to the one pictured above.
appmona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Dawn.DeBlois

Quote:
Originally Posted by polfuelmen84
I recently purchased a Savona SN-20 classical guitar. The problem is I can not seem to find any information anywhere on it. I do not know how reputable the sources are but this is what I found out...
It was supposidly made bout 30-50 years ago. It was made out of a local wood only grown in Brazil. There were only a couple hundred made when there was a wild fire destroying the trees. Thats all I could find out. I brought it to a local guitar shop and the guy who owned the guitar shop said he's never seen anything like it. He said it could be Brazillian Rosewood. Which you basically cant find a solid top with it anymore. Again who actually knows.
I've been trying to do a lot of research and reading and can't find much of anything. There is also a Savona International Guitar Competition in Savona, Italy. So that would lead me to believe they are some how linked? Any information anyone would have would be really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

_TrevoR_
polfuelmen84@yahoo.com

HI. I have the SN20 as well. It was built late 60's/early 70's. It has a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with copper frets but the rest of the guitar is a laminate (although an amazingly beautiful and hardy laminate). Many are fooled into thinking they have a 100% Brazilian rosewood instrument. To recognize laminate you have to look to see if the inside guitar wood matches the exterior grain. These guitars are rare, but not extremely so, and they play very, very well and with beautiful tone.
Dawn.DeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: