Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
mfarre03

I want to learn how to play soo bad but...

Ok, so I have been talking about learning how to play guitar for more than a few years now. I finally bought a DOT Cherry in December and have practiced maybe 3 times, 1 hour at a time. I have been using the Justineguitar.com and just get discouraged, not sure if I will ever learn how to play. I know 3 times, wtf, barely enough time to tune the guitar, lol. Guess I need some encouragement, 34 now and not sure how easy I will learn how to play this thing. I don't have an amp, just playing acoustically and really doesn't sound all that great, lol. I think I played more guitar hero than my REAL guitar. Not whining just frustrated with myself.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
mfarre03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Martindecorum

Find yourself some tasty music, a song that you always go wow thats just awesome, not complex just sounds awesome and set yourself a goal

Calm Down, Dead Man - Industrial Synth Project
http://www.facebook.com/CalmDownDeadMan
Martindecorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Chrisiphone
UG's Videographer

Find a song or a youtube video of someone playing a song you like which encourages you to play and want to learn.

I'd learn a song you want to learn first, a simple one for starters, then once you feel comfortable and happy knowing you have learnt it go back to the justineguitar.com lessons and keep alternating to keep you progressing.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Chrisiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarre03
Ok, so I have been talking about learning how to play guitar for more than a few years now. I finally bought a DOT Cherry in December and have practiced maybe 3 times, 1 hour at a time. I have been using the Justineguitar.com and just get discouraged, not sure if I will ever learn how to play. I know 3 times, wtf, barely enough time to tune the guitar, lol. Guess I need some encouragement, 34 now and not sure how easy I will learn how to play this thing. I don't have an amp, just playing acoustically and really doesn't sound all that great, lol. I think I played more guitar hero than my REAL guitar. Not whining just frustrated with myself.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I don't know what you expect from three 1 hour practice sessions, get yourself back to justinguitar and start from the beginners coarse, also find your self a song you like that's easy, Justin has easy songs 1, 2 and 3 youtube vids but there are plenty others on youtube.

Learning guitar takes practice and perseverance, giving up after three hours because you can't play is just dumb. most people here measure there progress over a period of months not a few hours.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)

Last edited by Andy Jarvis : 03-04-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Andy Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Regression

It took me months before I could play anything properly, mind you I have never been very dedicated. The key thing is just not to give up. Now I look back and wonder how I ever had trouble with some things. If you remain persistent, then you will get there. Sure it gets frustrating at times, but one day you will just notice a huge difference in your playing.

Also, maybe record yourself every 5 practice sessions or something, just so you can see evidence of the progress. It's probably already happening, you just havn't noticed it.
Regression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
FuZzY(aus)
I am bloke

learn songs you really like stick at it and get an amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
FuZzY(aus) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
MarauderNL
Registered Abuser

Discouragement is definitely a big problem in the beginning, but keep going! It's the only thing that'll make you good.
You should always try to keep your playing as interesting and fun as possible for yourself.
MarauderNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Learning how to play guitar is difficult and it's going to require a lot of work an patience. If you do learn how to play, though, you'll be rewarded with the ultimate prize: You'll be able to play guitar. I got frustrated a lot when I was first learning, but I kept telling myself that if I kept at it, I'd eventually be able to actually play guitar. That alone was enough to keep me going. I'd hear a certain artist I'd like and go, "It might take a really long time, but I'll eventually be able to do that!"

If that doesn't motivate you enough, then maybe guitar isn't for you. And that's not a bad thing at all. Different strokes for different folks, you know? But don't let your age discourage you for two reasons:

One, why does it matter that you're 34?? You're not trying to be a teen idol, are you? And let's assume you'll die at 80... that's 45 years of guitar playing! Imagine how good you'll be after playing guitar for 45 years! Haha.

And two: You shouldn't concern yourself with being wildly famous, but if that's what you really want, there are PLENTY of old guitarists who are still around. Plus, if you decide to play the blues or folk music, the older you are, the better.

Last edited by BigFatSandwich : 03-04-2009 at 07:20 AM.
BigFatSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
Shredy_Mc_shred

When i first started playing I had the same problem I thought that no matter how much I practiced I would never improve. But dont get down learn to play something that sounds really cool and really stick at it. And learning songs in small chunks helps alot.
Shredy_Mc_shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
Norphin
Guitarist

Well, obviously you should get an amp, as learning the workings of an amp is important to a guitarist, but yeah, find a song, or something about guitar that you really like and use that as motivation. If there was nothing that made you really want to pick up a guitar, then why did you do it?! =) but seriously, the better you get at guitar, the more fun you'll have. Like, it can be boring when you're learning theory and how to slide, bend properly etc. but when you can and start listening to awesome songs, looking up the tab and you tell yourself "Wait.....I could learn that!" is a great feeling.
Norphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #11
Unrulyguitarist
That Guy

Well, everyone has said it so far, all of us sucked at first. But it takes dedication. You came to the right website though. We might play around a lot, but we don't mind helping. Keep up with those lessons, and if you don't have any real big obligations, lock yourself in your room and play like crazy. Practice and practice.

You can do it. We did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saphrax
Remember kids.
Backhand = Discipline
Palm hand = Abuse

Unrulyguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
zhilla

I started at 34 - got lessons for my 34th birthday in fact! I would definitely recommend a decent teacher if you're struggling to teach yourself from scratch - knowing I've got a lesson in x days helps motivate me to actually practice (as oppose to just noodling and playing stuff I like or already know). A teacher will give some structure to your learning, and just the fact that someone will be there at the end of the week to listen to your progress, and that someone other than yourself has an interest in how you are getting on helps a lot - for me anyway.

And get an amp - even if its just a cheapy 10W practice amp. You can pick a real cheapie up for the price of a couple of beers, and even a crappy amp is infinitely better than no amp!
zhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #13
CarpUK
Wine Sponge

Well, that's the same age as I was when I started last year. My advice, such that it is, is...

1. Either get an amp or get an accoustic.
Yeah, there are a few on here who'll extol the virtues of playing an electric sans amp, but as far as I'm concerned playing a lump of dead wood that sounds like a broken bed spring just isn't fun. Fun, of course, being the only reason to do this...

2. Getting starting is hard
When you first pick up that guitar, your fingers haven't got the first clue what to do. It's just totally alien to them. Consequently, it takes a few weeks (at, say, an hour a day) just to get a little bit of hand strength going, and to get the fingers used to the idea that they've got to do something a bit fiddly now. I'm not saying that a couple of weeks will get you to any kind of reasonable standard, just that those are the really difficult weeks to get over, because during that time you'll struggle terribly with even the most basic stuff. It's worth it though, and it doesn't take that long before you're looking back and thinking "Hehe, it used to take me five seconds to fret G major, and even then it sounded like poop... now I just kinda do it".

3. Forget the internet, get a book or two
In fact, get a really, really basic book or two. Go to Amazon, or your local bookshop if you prefer, and get a couple of absolute beginner books, and follow them slowly, and (more or less) to the letter. The reason I say go for books rather than the net is beginner books will not be overwhelming, and won't leave you looking for the next simple, basic lessons in amongst all the usual advanced technique stuff you find on the net. Or, to put it another way, learning a few open chords, a scale, "Amazing Grace", and all those other starter lesson thingies seems to be the right way to start, and getting distracted by pinch harmonics, 101 exciting things to do with a whammy bar, and stuff of that ilk really ain't gonna help.

4. Don't rush
For pure physical reasons (especially at our age), the learning curve at the start feels like the side of a skyscraper. A mistake (there were plenty more ) I made was to try and do too much too soon, especially in the first few months. My hands just weren't ready for it. This meant I put too much time into attempting things I wasn't quite ready for, and not enough building up the absolute basics. Okay, yes, pushing yourself forwards is always needed, but being able to recognise when you're attempting something that's just way beyond you is handy to. This is, again, why I recommend some starter books.

5. Once you've punched the air in delight once...
...it gets so much easier. No idea about everyone else, but every so often I have a "I can't believe I just got that right!" (cue whoops of delight, punching of air etc.) moment. They're wonderful. They make the previous evening's banana-fingered disaster just melt from the memory and drive me on. It doesn't matter if it's something amazingly basic - the first time I managed to repeat a few bars of a simple two chord progession over and over, in time to the metronome, at a reasonable pace, without messing it up - had me jumping around the room like I'd just sunk the winning put in the Ryder Cup, the buzz is still brilliant. Or I might just be odd

...and most importantly...

6. Practice
Quite simply, just do it. Utlimately, the only to learn to play the flippin' thing is to play the flippin' thing. Try and set aside some time as regularly as possible, and just work through whatever you're practicing at the point. Whilst "practice" sounds dull, it's not. Once you really start to make progress it's amazingly good fun.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:

Thanks in advance,
Mike

That's just it., you have to spend some time learning how to play before you'll be able to play anything.

The guitar isn't just something you can pick up and "do", at least not in the manner you're used to. It takes a good few months to get to grips with the purely physical aspects of having it there. It will feel like a big stupid piece of wood with razor wire attached to it for quite some time, you just have to knuckle down and work through the initial awkard period.

The wealth of information avaialble to you is also your biggest obstacle, it's hard to know where to start and matters aren't always helped when you get dozens of people offering contradictory advice, especially when many of those people aren't all that much further along than you are.

Best thing to do is set yourself realistic, short term goals and at this stage they will be really short-term....stuff like learning to tune the guitar, learning to play a single chord etc. This may seem tortuous, but the fact of the matter is that everything you do is building a foundation, and each one of those baby steps will will make the next one a little bit easier.

For the time being forget tabs and forget learning songs, just start getting a feel for the guitar. Learn to tune it and try to learn a couple of chords - E A and D are probably the easiest ones to get to grips with and you'll also be relying on those chords in some way or another for a good chunk of your entire playing "career". Start with the E chord, and literally all you're trying to do is fret that one chord cleanly so that all the notes ring out when you strum it, and likewise you want to be able to strum the chord cleanly and controlled. If you get dead notes then look to see why it's happening and try to remedy it - if you're not pressing down hard enough see if you can increase pressure a bit, if you're touching other strings then shuffle your fingers round a bit and get them out of the way.

Once you feel you're getting somewhere with the E chord do the same with A, and then D. Once you've got to the point where you can play each of those chords cleanly on a fairly consistent basis then you can look at putting them together and changing between them. You can also experiment with strumming patterns, this is best done with a single chord until you're a bit better at changing. Play around with the different patterns that you hear in songs and also experiment within the chord - pick the notes individually rather than strumming them all, that's going to help you build pick accuracy and control.

Most importantly go slow all the time, make sure you learn how to do something before trying to do it fast. Like with picking individual notes out of a chord, do it at whatever speed you need to for you to have complete control over your picking hand, that way what you're doing is training yourself how to do things the right way from the start - the more practice you get in doing those actions correctly the better you get at them, and as you get better at those actions you'll gradually find yourself performing them faster. If you rush though all that happens is you teach yourself the "wrong" way, and no matter how much you practice something if you learned it the wrong way you'll never get any better at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #15
Fitzpatrick

Watch guitarists that inspire you
Fitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #16
Howard2k

I was there, only 3 months ago.

I remember looking at those pages on JustGuitar and thinking "what.. the.. hell.." And my fingers hurt, and I was pissed off and frustrated.

Learning guitar is LONG road. But after only 3 months I can "play" parts of a few songs that I like and I'm learning a few other bits. It's getting rewarding. Playing an E Chord has no reward, but once you string a few chords together you'll be much happier I'm sure.

I spent a decent amount of time finding tabs for songs that I liked, and I made a note of which ones looked easy. I then picked one of those (Seven Nation Army - White Stripes) and started to learn that. I still suck at it, but if someone heard me playing they'd be able to tell what song it's supposed to be

I know some people say forget songs etc. My personal approach is to spend a certain amount of time on technique and a certain amount of time on songs. When I started I knew no songs, so I was just focusing on being able to cleanly strum a chord. Then when I learned a riff or two I would spend a bit more time on the riff and a bit less time on the chords. But you still need to balance. And if you're still following JustinGuitar he'll get to the pentatonic scale soon too. Well worth learning.

Anyway - stay motivated. It's a very, very, very long road. But for me, being able to play a few riffs from some songs that I like is rewarding by itself, and I know that the only way I got here was practice, and the only way I'll get further is practice.

I'm 34 too. Even old folks can do it.
Howard2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
Rio38
Slowly Getting There

I am also 34 and started playing about 8 months ago. The biggest thing for you to do at this point is just get used to having this chunk of wood and metal in your hands. Get used to how it feels and where each fret and string is. Soon, it will become second nature as to where things are.

Definitely start to do the easy chromatic finger exercises 1234 up and down the fret board to get your fingers used to working in sync with your strumming hand. Also learn a few scales so you can get used to playing on adjacent strings.

It will get boring after a while so also throw in an easy song here and there. It won't seem easy to you at all at this point, but really, all the techniques you could learn at this point are in the songs you will want to play.

Last thing is keep at it. There will be days and weeks that you just don't feel like you are going anywhere, but you really are.
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Rio38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I'm also 34, I just started playing 19 years ago

I can still remember how hard it was in the beginning though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
CarpUK
Wine Sponge

Okay, so would everyone who's not 34 or thereabouts please leave the thread.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

I'm 46 and although I've spent 28 years half heartedly playing ie strumming chords it was only 18 months ago I decided to take things a little more seriously, yes it's hard but I'm not for packing it in.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Andy Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: