Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
blazzingroach

I'm relearning at the age of fifty. When I first started many years ago, I'd literally fall asleep while practicing. The same repetitive motions, the same boring exersizes, over and over and over... That's how ya get good, at anything. Had I stuck with it throughout all the years, I'd be almost playing like all the great guitatist that I admire, instead of wishing.

CarpUK and steven seagull hammered it. Take their advise. Guitar isn't something ya learn to do overnight. besides what they noted, ya might wanna hookup with a someone that's at the same level guitar wise as youself and practice together once a week or so. Having a teacher is good, but having someone to bounce your enthusiasm off of really helps.

"Hey dude, check out this little riff I learned!! bowchickabowbow"

Blaze On!

Last edited by blazzingroach : 03-04-2009 at 03:41 PM.
blazzingroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
bade0815

I think you should start with these "babysteps" - tune the guitar (that's pretty important though), play the easy chords E, A and D and just get a feeling for the instrument. After you've done that, you can throw in some easy songs ( e.g. Seven Nation Army, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo). Don't stop when your fingertips hurt a bit, you mustn't stop playing when they do, soon enough they'll be hard enough.

I don't know JustGuitar, but I recommend you to get a book and a amp! Maybe you know somebody who is playing guitar, you can ask this person if there are any questions (or us of course, but here you'll get 1000 opinions from 1000 people). Or you can get a teacher.

I hope I helped you.

PS: This may be interesting:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...e_decision.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...instrument.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colu...irst_steps.html

Even if you have these guides, you should get at least a real book
bade0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #23
millerdrr
Imperialistic American

Try making it more fun. See if you can find someone to jam with. (Plug for group in my sig coming) Bluegrass shows have hundreds of people of all levels of experience, and I've never seen snobbery from anyone in two decades of going.

If that's not your thing, maybe try recording yourself or finding a backing track to jam along with.

CYNONYTE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

millerdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #24
MetaMegaMagic

I actually find guitar a simple instrument to get started on. I played violin for 3 years, I had the finger strength and then I taught myself guitar with some tabs.

I've played for 1 month and I'm doing Crazy Train for the school talent show.
MetaMegaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #25
Lethal Dosage
Break it Down

Find a good song that you like but thats easy at the same time my teacher has been teaching me a couple songs latley and it really makes me want to play even more when I hear myself playing these songs that I love. I learned Dr. Feelgood 2 weeks ago and I was so excited that I could play it. Then I started learning Sweet Child O Mine this week and ive got the first riff in the intro pretty much down and I cant put it down now.
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Lethal Dosage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #26
That_Guy!
Awesome to the max!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaMegaMagic
I actually find guitar a simple instrument to get started on. I played violin for 3 years, I had the finger strength and then I taught myself guitar with some tabs.

I've played for 1 month and I'm doing Crazy Train for the school talent show.

Yeah violin is way harder to play then guitar, and good for you.

Anyway my recommendation is to just practice some chords while watching tv. And if you can pick up your guitar everyday and play for at least 15 minutes. If you really wanna play buy a roland microcube for like $80 or whatever it is and play some power chords, they are fun and easy.

It's not as complicated as it seems just have fun and play your guitar everyday. The first week or two will be a bit of a chore but after that practice becomes fun because you can really see how you're progressing.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #27
nevin021s

I'm way too lazy to read all these, so here is my advice. Don't think about whether you want to be good or anything. Just play. And by just play, I mean use youtube, tabs, you know, whatever, to build up your knowledge. If you like it a lot you will progress and move past tabs, and ultimately mature as a player. If you sorta kinda like it, you might just pick it up every once in a while, but still enjoy it. The point is, don't think about it too much, just pick it up and play. Learn some chords, and play them. Then learn the pentatonic scale. Then learn songs. And before you know it, you can play it.
nevin021s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #28
Chetbango

Kill your guitar hero game. Destroy it, it represents everything lame about our society.
Chetbango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #29
nightrain789

To the person that said learn the E, A, and D chords, do that. I'm trying to learn some Dylan songs for my history of rock class (totally get to play guitar in class tomorrow! So excited) and I've had to put so much work into Mr. Tambourine man.

Sorry for the tangent. But yeah, I've been playing everyday for the past 3 months, thats when I started taking it seriously, and once you get better you will love practicing.

So, the best advice I can give you is this:

1. Learn your basic open chords. They will take you a long way. Don't be like me and decide that you want to play metal, and then when somebody asks you to jam say that you can't switch between your G and D very well.

2. Once you feel decent with your open chords, learn some basic Dylan songs, as they are all basic chord progressions. Seriously, it will help a lot

3. Learn your major, minor, and pentatonic scales, so that you can learn some improvision skills. If you're ever bored, its nice just to throw some basic solos out, because its a lot of fun and doesn't feel like you're practicing.

Good luck man. Stay driven, because I wish I had. Its a lot of fun after a while, so keep at it.

EDIT: Just one story for motivation- I was playing guitar in my dorm and this cute girl walks up and starts talking to me. I'm not good looking by any means, but shes talking to me, and asks, "How long did it take you to learn how to play?" I've only learned how to do almost everything I know in the past 3 months, so my reaction was, "Since when do I know how to play?"

You'll never be happy with how good you are, but after a while others will think that you are actually good. It really happens that quickly with any sort of dedication

Last edited by nightrain789 : 03-05-2009 at 05:00 AM.
nightrain789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 AM   #30
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetbango
Kill your guitar hero game. Destroy it, it represents everything lame about our society.

Where did the TS mention Guitar Hero?

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Andy Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #31
darkhorizon

It took me about 3 months before I could mechanically play songs with reasonably smooth chord changes. Over the next few months afterwards I learn strumming patterns, could play faster and more accurately. More importantly I learnt to feel the music I was playing so I could pick out the patterns to play and get the tempo / changes correct. Now I am learning lead guitar it is quite easy to know what to play but the how to play it takes alot of practice like everything else with the guitar.
darkhorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #32
Chetbango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Jarvis
Where did the TS mention Guitar Hero?

In his original post.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #33
Andy Jarvis
Still sruggling along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetbango
In his original post.

Ah, last sentance, missed that, sorry.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Andy Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #34
mfarre03

Thanks for all the advise, its just the kick in the ass i needed, LOL. This weekend I should be picking up an amp, either from GC or the local pawn that I noticed a few. I pretty much got my D,E and A down, even though A kicks my ass, damn fingers seem so big. Hopefully when I get an amp everything will sound a lot crisper.
mfarre03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #35
Chetbango

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarre03
Thanks for all the advise, its just the kick in the ass i needed, LOL. This weekend I should be picking up an amp, either from GC or the local pawn that I noticed a few. I pretty much got my D,E and A down, even though A kicks my ass, damn fingers seem so big. Hopefully when I get an amp everything will sound a lot crisper.

Check here for nice deals. How much do you want to spend on an amp? Sell your Xbox to get a better amp

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/msg/
Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #36
blazzingroach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarre03

Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Get any kinda small amp to begin with and practice, practice, practice. Take some time and research to find the amp you want. Eventually you'll be spending all kinds of money on effects pedals looking for that certian sound. A lot of the modelling amps are effects laden and will help cut down on useless effects pedal purchases.

2006 Epiphone '58 Korina V
2008 Aslin Dane Bohemian
Real Sound Mars Twin Tube Distortion/Overdrive
Crate dxj112 amp
Dunlop HighGain used as expression pedal
blazzingroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #37
mfarre03

I can't believe its been this long since I posted this. So...its almost 2012 and I haven't gone anywhere with my guitar but I still have it. We will try this again, I am going to stick with it this time. Thanks for everyone's advice, I read all the posts again.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #38
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Have you tried getting a teacher? I think the psychological aspect of not wanting to disappoint your teacher due to not practicing can be a big impetus. My exams are next week, but I still feel the need to practice for my next lesson because I don't want to disappoint, in addition to not wanting to waste my money and time.

Do you have any friends who play guitar or any other instruments? I find it makes for quite a fair bit of motivation.

Find some music you like that you think aren't too hard, then work on them. I've found that my biggest advances are when I actually sit down and try and nail a song just out of reach.

There's really nothing you can do about the helplessness associated with picking up a new
instrument at first. You just need to convince yourself that it's going to be worth your time and get up your butt and start practicing. (It is, by the way. There aren't many other choices I've made that I think are better than making the decision to pick up the guitar.) I remember not actually being able to do anything on the guitar in the first few months, and I'd just play random notes on the guitar while lying down on my bed because I didn't have a real teacher guiding me.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 AM   #39
mfarre03

I do have a buddy that is lead singer/guitar in a band. He actually has my guitar right now because one of the pickups isn't working. Once he has fixed it we are going to sit down and play. I also bought my 8 yr old daughter a guitar for Christmas so I want to have some idea what I'm doing, lol (can't get upstaged by an 8 yr old).
Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #40
Powka

For me - it's every finished song that I play. As soon as you get it right, you get 100% motivation boost for playing longer and harder. Just need to find the right song, starting from very simple and easy ones, and going towards more complicated. The harder the song, the bigger the reward afterwards, and more motivation. I also hate learning all those chords, scales, etc - I hate theory, I just want to play, but in order to play good, you have to learn them, so it's a package deal, and when you want to learn so badly, you just make yourself go through all that theory.

A buddy is good, but difference between the buddy and a teacher, is that you have to pay the other one, and when you pay, you actually want to learn something, to get something out of what you paid for. Just my two cents.
Powka is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: