Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
dz_alias
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delaware
Reprogramming Digitech RP350 Firmware

What I'm asking is probably beyond the scope of everyone here.

However. I'd like to rewrite the software (or firmware rather) of my Digitech RP350. I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet, honestly. But if any of you have sources out there, I'd like to know what processor it uses (they give it some generic name), what processor it's based off of or most like, and the assembly used to program it (assuming that's what is used.)

The firmware is freely available for download on Digitech's website, and can be uploaded to the pedal.

Ideas? Comments?


It's not illegal if they don't find out about it :\.

Last edited by dz_alias : 03-06-2009 at 12:39 AM.
dz_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
noisefarmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz_alias
What I'm asking is probably beyond the scope of everyone here.

However. I'd like to rewrite the software (or firmware rather) of my Digitech RP350. I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet, honestly. But if any of you have sources out there, I'd like to know what processor it uses (they give it some generic name), what processor it's based off of or most like, and the assembly used to program it (assuming that's what is used.)

The firmware is freely available for download on Digitech's website, and can be uploaded to the pedal.

Ideas? Comments?


It's not illegal if they don't find out about it :\.


the reason why it's probably never been done is because what yr talking about is a lot of work for very little reward. feel free to go ahead with this and prove me wrong though.

seriously it sounds like much more trouble than its worth, trying to reverse engineer the existing software to do pretty much anything other than what it already does.

besides, line6 has the tonecore developers kit for this sort of thing.
noisefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
dz_alias
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisefarmer
the reason why it's probably never been done is because what yr talking about is a lot of work for very little reward. feel free to go ahead with this and prove me wrong though.

seriously it sounds like much more trouble than its worth, trying to reverse engineer the existing software to do pretty much anything other than what it already does.

besides, line6 has the tonecore developers kit for this sort of thing.

I have no Line 6 pedals. I wouldn't want to use their developers kits regardless. It wouldn't benefit me intellectually.

It's not going to be too much work. It'll give me something to do. And it'll help me learn plenty about audio engineering. Especially DSP...

EDIT: Going to bed. Will revive topic tomorrow.

Last edited by dz_alias : 03-06-2009 at 01:17 AM.
dz_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
XgamerGt04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
I doubt that assembly was used to do the actual DSP programming for the pedal, chances are its in some sort of C or something other than that. Writting an assembly program to do signal processing would be a tremendously difficult task for something like that. Also, DSP has very little to do with audio engineering. It is a much larger part of computer and electrical engineering.

If you can get me some markings of off the chip, sorry if you have already addressed this, I may be able to find something that may clue you in to what it is.
XgamerGt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
dz_alias
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delaware
Quote:
AudioDNA2 The Power Inside The Pedal.
With 400% more horse-power it's no wonder the RP350 sounds so good.
The Audio DNA2 chip is the world's most advanced audio processor, the 'engine' that gives DigiTechs new RP models so much more raw impact and subtle detail. Other manufacturers use general-purpose, off-the-shelf chips. But creating the best guitar tone requires a 100% specialised, optimised processor.
Being total audio processing fanatics their engineers set out to create a super-processor specifically designed to power a whole new generation of effects and models. The design team worked for over two years, literally redefining audio signal processing at the chip level.
Then their 'Tone-Gurus' - fresh from Production Modelling triumphs like the Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal - set to work taking advantage of all this new raw processing power. When you hear what AudioDNA2 does for the tone of the RP350 you'll agree it was all worth it.

The good majority of this is mumbo jumbo, I'm sure.
dz_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
dz_alias
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by XgamerGt04
I doubt that assembly was used to do the actual DSP programming for the pedal, chances are its in some sort of C or something other than that. Writting an assembly program to do signal processing would be a tremendously difficult task for something like that. Also, DSP has very little to do with audio engineering. It is a much larger part of computer and electrical engineering.

If you can get me some markings of off the chip, sorry if you have already addressed this, I may be able to find something that may clue you in to what it is.

Signal processing in general has well enough to do with audio engineering.

I'd rather not take my pedal apart, but I doubt I'll find reference material off the internet. So I'll go ahead with that once I get home.
dz_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
XgamerGt04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Yeah I can't get you any information based upon that, i'm guessing that it is probably just a rebranded chip from somewhere else. See what I mean is that DSP does not refer just to audio. DSP refers to any sort of processing done with digital signals. In Audio Engineering you will be dealing with the recording of signals using different programs that are already there, but you will not be doing any sort of DSP programming.
XgamerGt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
dz_alias
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by XgamerGt04
Yeah I can't get you any information based upon that, i'm guessing that it is probably just a rebranded chip from somewhere else. See what I mean is that DSP does not refer just to audio. DSP refers to any sort of processing done with digital signals. In Audio Engineering you will be dealing with the recording of signals using different programs that are already there, but you will not be doing any sort of DSP programming.

I think it is too. I can't find a single thing on the internet thought about the actual hardware used in it, nor anyone else with enough interest to want to change the firmware. Maybe I can contact DigiTech and ask them?

"Uh yeah, uh... I'm trying to reverse engineer the firmware of your RP350 pedal so I can make it better, uh... so I'd appreciate any information you could disclose to me concerning it's processor and such, thanks."

I wanna become an electrical engineer, more than anything.
dz_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
XgamerGt04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz_alias
I think it is too. I can't find a single thing on the internet thought about the actual hardware used in it, nor anyone else with enough interest to want to change the firmware. Maybe I can contact DigiTech and ask them?

"Uh yeah, uh... I'm trying to reverse engineer the firmware of your RP350 pedal so I can make it better, uh... so I'd appreciate any information you could disclose to me concerning it's processor and such, thanks."

I wanna become an electrical engineer, more than anything.


Yeah you may possibly encounter some DSP in electrical engineering, either way you'll have to take some electronics classes if you do computer engineering. I would try contacting them and saying that you want to try to learn about programming microcontrollers and see if they will tell you what kind of assembly, or what kind of processor it uses. They may be nice about it, or they may tell you no. Its worth a try.
XgamerGt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
dz_alias
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by XgamerGt04
Yeah you may possibly encounter some DSP in electrical engineering, either way you'll have to take some electronics classes if you do computer engineering. I would try contacting them and saying that you want to try to learn about programming microcontrollers and see if they will tell you what kind of assembly, or what kind of processor it uses. They may be nice about it, or they may tell you no. Its worth a try.

Actually, dealing with them before, they've been very nice. I just have to be very careful how I word my inquiry and it might work.
dz_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 AM   #11
noisefarmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz_alias
"Uh yeah, uh... I'm trying to reverse engineer the firmware of your RP350 pedal so I can make it better, uh... so I'd appreciate any information you could disclose to me concerning it's processor and such, thanks."


if you ask nicely you might have some luck, but i'd recommend forgetting any thought you might have of making it "better" because, and i'm being completely honest when i say this, if you had the ability to make it better you wouldn't be starting a thread asking how to do something or find out what kind of chips are in it.

and if you want to know what kind of hardware is inside it may i recommend opening it up and actually looking inside it. you'll find out much more that way.
noisefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:55 AM   #12
Thomme
Vintage MIJ nut
 
Thomme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I'd actually be really interested on how this works out. Alias, be sure to keep us tuned in. I'm thinking that if you could somehow work out a way to interface it with a computer, you could work out the programing if you're good with that type of thing... but, then again, I'm not sure how the RP350 actually works...
__________________
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Thomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
metalwarrior40
UG Resident
 
metalwarrior40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maryland,USA
If you could somehow get the program onto the computer, or where i can download it, i can give a crack at it, I know several programming languages, so i might be of some use.
__________________
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
metalwarrior40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:45 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.