Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Airfish

E530: how good is the emulated output?

Hi.

Anybody has any experience with the emulated output of the Engl E530? YT is full of videos about that preamp, but everybody there played it either thru a power amp, or with speaker impulses or even recorded the sound from the built-in small ss power amp.

But I need to know: is the emulated output good enough to connect it directly to the mixer?

Iīm thinking about this preamp for my home studio, I already have the Line 6 Pod HD pro, but Iīd like to have some real tube stuff too.

And one more q: do you think I can use the Line 6 Pod HD Pro as a STEREO multiefect processor for that Engl? If yes, how should I connect both?

Thanx!
Airfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
godgrinder

It's alright. I feel that it sounds a bit brighter than going through a power amp and a cab. When I'm recording I use a blend of both the emulated output and mic'd up cab.

The E530 has an FX loop so I think you could chain the HD pro in there.
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke preamp | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Engl E530 | Krank Rev Jr | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115

Last edited by godgrinder : 02-20-2013 at 07:09 PM.
godgrinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

I've found most emulated outs arent supposed to be used by themselves but with mic'd signal as well. Like what godgrinder said. Tried a number of them and its just a bit to intense IMHO. But im no engineer either.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
godgrinder

That being said you can still pretty much get away with just using the emulated output. Or maybe record both the emulated output and the line out. Then run a cab emulation plugin on the line out track and try blend both.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgrinder
That being said you can still pretty much get away with just using the emulated output. Or maybe record both the emulated output and the line out. Then run a cab emulation plugin on the line out track and try blend both.

Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgrinder

....sounds very sofisiticated what youīre saying guys.... but pls come down to my level and just tell me: are the emulated line-outputs going to sound good in my simple home "studio" consisting of just the e530 (not yet, but probably soon), the Line 6 Pod HD Pro as the FX processor, the mixer and a pair of studio monitors (KRK VXT6 + a 12S KRK sub). Sorry, shouldnīt have used the word "studio" I guess.... so letīs call it my "home noodling rig", thatīs closer to the truth...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Shit yeah go for it. ENGL's are great amps and im sure they take there time on every single component on their products. Just go for it. Plus you get one hell of an amp to gig with to!
Epiphone Prophecy
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
godgrinder

Yeah it would be good enough.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
Airfish

Right, so I bought the Engl already. The cleans sound awsome, even from the uncompensated outs. There will be some struggle with distorted sounds, but you were right, this preamp is one hell of a beast, it just needs a bit of afford to tame it....

And I have a new question: is there any external DI box/speaker simulator, that could make it sound better WITHOUT COMPUTER SPEAKER SIM/IMPULSES? Really, pls donīt waste your time advising me to try impulses or other PC crap....

So if thereīs something out there, that could sound better than the built-in frequency-compensated outputs of the Engl (which are good, but not good enough), without the need to connect it to the PC, plase let me know about it.

Thanx!

Last edited by Airfish : 02-23-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
Right, so I bought the Engl already. The cleans sound awsome, even from the uncompensated outs. There will be some struggle with distorted sounds, but you were right, this preamp is one hell of a beast, it just needs a bit of afford to tame it....

And I have a new question: is there any external DI box/speaker simulator, that could make it sound better WITHOUT COMPUTER SPEAKER SIM/IMPULSES? Really, pls donīt waste your time advising me to try impulses or other PC crap....

So if thereīs something out there, that could sound better than the built-in frequency-compensated outputs of the Engl (which are good, but not good enough), without the need to connect it to the PC, plase let me know about it.

Thanx!

You could try a Palmer PDI-09 cabinet emulator, but it's gonna cost a few hundred and is no better than any of the "PC crap" that you can get for free, if anything it's severely limiting compared to the myriad of professional quality impulses you can get. Don't discount software, I thought a Pod HD owner would realise how good they can be?

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
Airfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
You could try a Palmer PDI-09 cabinet emulator, but it's gonna cost a few hundred and is no better than any of the "PC crap" that you can get for free, if anything it's severely limiting compared to the myriad of professional quality impulses you can get. Don't discount software, I thought a Pod HD owner would realise how good they can be?

Well, the computer is not my best friend, I have to admit, Iīm sort of an old-school type.... and all that sound card/software/plugin/impulse kind of stuff is freakin me out...

I only have a built-in ordinary sound-card in my PC, Iīm not sure, but I guess itīs not even an extra one, but only as an integral part of the mother board or something like that.... And I canīt touch my PC, itīs new, itīs also my working tool (Iīm not a pro musician, do other stuff for living) and I canīt afford to lose the warranty....

Do you think these "impulses" could work on my primitive built-in soundcard? Or are there any external soundcards, that I can just connect to my PC? And what else do I need to get them "impulses" workin? Any other software/hardware?

You see... lots of questions, for now no answer and a big headache of mine....

So now go ahead an teach me, if you have the courage....
Old 02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Airfish

Quote:

...oh and more more issue.... as a Pod HD Pro owner, I tried to use the simulated cabinets from there, but they only work in connection with amp simulations.... and a simulated amp does not work with a real one... tried it, sounds like a broken food processor....
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

I may be mistaken but I believe you can use the HD Pro as an interface and bypass the modelling? That basically makes it an outboard soundcard

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Airfish

Quote:
I may be mistaken but I believe you can use the HD Pro as an interface and bypass the modelling? That basically makes it an outboard soundcard

I donīt know what you mean by "bypassing".... I just donīt turn it on and donīt include it in a patch - I have patches including amp/cab modelling, and then I have some where I only use the effect simulations....
If thereīs a way to use the Pod HDś cab sims, without using the amp sims, that could solve my issue....
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfish
If thereīs a way to use the Pod HDś cab sims, without using the amp sims, that could solve my issue....

That's possible IIRC. Look in the manual.
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: