Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #1
Mayge

Versatile amp reccomendations? (tube, un-mic'd punk shows)

Oh f*ck another "recommend me an amp" thread. My lucky day.
-The UG Community As A Whole

I'm looking for a fairly cheap tube amp (<700 used) that can deliver solid clean tones and a good deal of distortion, preferably in the Orange/Vox "brit-fuzz" vein of things. I'm currently playing out of a Marshall MG100 hooked into the matching MG412 cabinet. At the time, I was super excited to have a real Marshall amp(!) but after hearing what's possible through my band's lead guitarist's Vox AC30, and another friend's Fender Duluxe Reverb, and after making many trips to music shops around town, I've decided I need an upgrade to a cheaper tube amp.

My band plays any gigs we can get, from mic'd bars with nice PA systems to lofts with only enough PA spots for vocals to quiet "unplugged" sessions outside over the summers.
I need something that can pump enough volume to fill a small bar full of loud people that can still manage to be heard on mostly-clean settings. My band plays a pretty wide range of music- from loud, blaring punk to softer post-rock stuff to garage rock a' la The Strokes. I like Marshall clean tones and brit-fuzz distortion like you'd find in a Vox or Orange amp. My MG, I've found, only sounds passable to me on a clean channel, EQ'd and boosted with my trusty blues driver.

My budget is around $500, plus the $100-200 I'll probably sell my head for, and if it's a combo, possibly another $100 from selling my cab.

Recommendations, y'all?
Mayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

JCM900 or a JCM2000 DSL100 or 50
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Robbgnarly

^ yep

Peavey JSX is also a great amp
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Is there a problem with getting a Vox?

https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps...0&commit=Filter

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-17-2015 at 08:48 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:14 AM   #5
Mayge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Is there a problem with getting a Vox?

https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps...0&commit=Filter

Eh, not really. I just don't love the aesthetics of the AC30, and everyone in the area has one it seems. Orange amps are my favorite thing, but for the quarter of our set that requires clean channels, they just wouldn't work. Unless I got like a Thunderverb or something.

Anyone got anything to say about Jet City amps? I've heard really great things about them. And you can't beat that price- $300-400 for 50 watts of tube?

Then again, cutting corners on price is how I would up with a frikkin MG100 XD
Old 12-18-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

JCAs are good amps for he price- I'm considering a couple for myself. By I don't know that they'll deliver that Orange/Vox tone.

What kind of visual aesthetic are you interested in?

Old 12-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #7
Cajundaddy

Laney. Brit crunch, looks good, good clean tone, reasonable price.

If you are truly an Orange fanboy you can get decent clean by rolling off the guitar volume. It sounds kinda Voxy or maybe Hendrix clean, not Fender pristine but it's pretty good. Trouble is Orange are always expensive if you need 30w or more. Laney 50w might be 1/2 price of the Orange and it's good stuff.

Also Peavey Classic 30 delivers solid AC30 tone in a different package. Definitely gig quality.

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 12-18-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:50 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

i just picked up a JSX, and i think that it would be a good way to go. i got the head, but the combos can be had rather cheaply as well.

other than that, JCM900, DSL50/DSL100, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 AM   #9
diabolical

Starting from cheap and working up our way to more expensive (most of these come in combo and head option, up to you). I'd go with 50 watt minimum and even go 100 watt in this case...

• Peavey Windsor - (new or older model) - 2 channel amp, passable cleans, decent overdrive
  • Peavey Valveking - 2 ch amp, decent clean and overdrive, takes well to pedals, gets really good with overdrive treble booster.
  • Peavey Ultra - earlier version of the XXX, 2 ch (I think), the clean and crunch
  • Peavey XXX - decent cleans, good crunch that takes well to overdrive, shitty fizz distortion which might be good for punk
  • Peavey JSX - awesome 3ch amp, covers all the bases. Awesome everything - clean, crunch, lead channel.
  • Ashdown Fallen Angel - good cleans, OK dirt channel, takes well to fx, I have easy mods that fix the 2nd channel for more gain and better eq. Other features is switchable 2 volume levels, boost for leads, digital fx. Very loud at 60 watts.
  • Marshall JCM900 or DSL or TSL JCM2000 used
  • Carvin VT50 (AC30-like, great price new)
  • Carvin X100B Series - more like JCM800, great price new
  • Carvin V3 - 3 ch amps, very versatile, great price
  • Carvin V3 VL300 100W Legacy 3 - great price, very versatile
  • Traynor YCV40, YCV50B - great versatile combos, usually priced well in your budget. Might want to look up their heads too.
  • Laney IRT and used TI single channel heads
That's about all I can think of.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 AM   #10
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I was going to suggest a Carvin V3M combo. 50 watts, versatile. Good cleans and can rock hard, too.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-18-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayge
Oh f*ck another "recommend me an amp" thread. My lucky day.
-The UG Community As A Whole

I'm looking for a fairly cheap tube amp (<700 used) that can deliver solid clean tones and a good deal of distortion, preferably in the Orange/Vox "brit-fuzz" vein of things. I'm currently playing out of a Marshall MG100 hooked into the matching MG412 cabinet. At the time, I was super excited to have a real Marshall amp(!) but after hearing what's possible through my band's lead guitarist's Vox AC30, and another friend's Fender Duluxe Reverb, and after making many trips to music shops around town, I've decided I need an upgrade to a cheaper tube amp.

My band plays any gigs we can get, from mic'd bars with nice PA systems to lofts with only enough PA spots for vocals to quiet "unplugged" sessions outside over the summers.
I need something that can pump enough volume to fill a small bar full of loud people that can still manage to be heard on mostly-clean settings. My band plays a pretty wide range of music- from loud, blaring punk to softer post-rock stuff to garage rock a' la The Strokes. I like Marshall clean tones and brit-fuzz distortion like you'd find in a Vox or Orange amp. My MG, I've found, only sounds passable to me on a clean channel, EQ'd and boosted with my trusty blues driver.

My budget is around $500, plus the $100-200 I'll probably sell my head for, and if it's a combo, possibly another $100 from selling my cab.

Recommendations, y'all?

Mesa express combo
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 AM   #12
the_bi99man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayge
Orange amps are my favorite thing, but for the quarter of our set that requires clean channels, they just wouldn't work.

Every Orange amp I've ever played (obviously counting only the ones that HAVE clean channels, not the Dark Terror) has fabulous sounding clean. Hell, the clean channel was actually the biggest deal-maker for me when I put a used Rockerverb on layaway last month at a local pawnshop. I've also had quite a bit of playing time with a TH30, their cheaper two channel option, and the clean sounds great.
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
GK 400RB w/Ampeg 4x10 Cab
https://soundcloud.com/dudeandguitar
the_bi99man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

I own a Jet City and Orange. I used the Jet City as my main amp in a punk/pop/rock band I was in last year. It was perfect for those tones. The only downside is that the clean channel isn't the cleanest. Like I leave the cleans pre gain on like maybe 1/10, and just crank the master up. I had no issues with it myself, and unless you're playing a pretty decent sized bar with no mic, I wouldn't worry about it; or unless you need pristine cleans.

My Rockerverb 50 Mk1 has a great drive for punk as well, and a nicer clean channel then the JC. The JC's drive is much more aggressive, but not as fat. Unless you're dead set on an Orange, I'd go for the JC.

I have some studio recorded songs using the JC I can send your way if you like.
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Orange Rockerverb 50 mk1
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
Mayge

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bi99man
Every Orange amp I've ever played (obviously counting only the ones that HAVE clean channels, not the Dark Terror) has fabulous sounding clean. Hell, the clean channel was actually the biggest deal-maker for me when I put a used Rockerverb on layaway last month at a local pawnshop. I've also had quite a bit of playing time with a TH30, their cheaper two channel option, and the clean sounds great.

I just got introduced to the TH30 in my search. I'm in love.

I mean, the Rockerverb or Thunderverb would obviously be nicer, but...you know. Money.

I'm close to throwing down my cash for the TH30 head, but I'm worried it would be limited by my cab (MG412 if I haven't mentioned it above). I don't have enough to upgrade both my head and cab. What do you think?
Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
EmoSupremo
Drain Bamaged

I use an off brand practice amp. It's just punk.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoSupremo
I use an off brand practice amp. It's just punk.
You do realise that most punks use good amps, no? Let's have a looksee shall we?
Ramones - JCM800
Sex Pistols - Fender Twin
The Clash - Marshall Plexi and Music Man
NoFX - Rectos
Bad Religion - Rectos

See any crappy practice amps among those? No?

You're an idiot.
Randall RM100 & RM20
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
You do realise that most punks use good amps, no? Let's have a looksee shall we?
Ramones - JCM800
Sex Pistols - Fender Twin
The Clash - Marshall Plexi and Music Man
NoFX - Rectos
Bad Religion - Rectos

See any crappy practice amps among those? No?

You're an idiot.

Before responding, do check out Cathbard's freaking awesome punk band...

Man knows his stuff.

I'll add Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein's Ampeg SVT head to the list.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-19-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #18
EmoSupremo
Drain Bamaged

It was a joke. But I am an idiot.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #19
ThunderPunk

Try to find a Fender "evil" Twin amp. Also consider checking out the Peavey Classic series of amplifiers.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster HH, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30cch, Peavey Classic 50 212.
ThunderPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #20
evmac
Baroness Lover

On the cheap side of things you could get a Peavey Valveking head and a decent cab for around $700. The amps clean channel is really nice, and the gain channel is okay stock and can be modded easily to make it good.

I have a JCA50 Head and my GAS for better amps stopped after I bought that amp. Sold my Krank 1980, and Valveking off once I played with that amp. It's not the best clean amp, but it can be serviceable depending the situation. The gain is awesome however and the amp is cheap as shit. Two channels, so you can turn down the pregain on the normal channel and just use the OD channel for your dirt. I recommend everyone try these amps if they have a chance because they're so good and so cheap.

I would hesitate to play any amp through that 4x12 you have now so I think it's the right choice to sell off what you have now and put it towards something decent.

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: