Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
goodwood

Gibson Les Paul Encyclopedia

Can someone reccomend the best book for this quitar? I want to learn everything about it before dropping several grand. I did some searching at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc... after reading some reviews, some books were too basic or they just weren't technical enough with the changes, chronology, numbers and so forth.
goodwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
cthuludawn21
Hi, I'm a Mac, AND a PC.

summary of the Les Paul : extremely overpriced with shoddy quality products. people only buy them on brand value. don't buy a gibson les paul people, buy a so-called "copy". esp EC1000 deluxe, agile AL-3000, ibanez ART, and many many more are thousands of dollars less and on average equal or better guitars. the list of issues with Les Pauls are too long to list here.

...just saying what needs to be said. i don't like to see someone throw down their hard earned cash for something that won't live up to the standards of a good instrument.
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
cthuludawn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
SGmaniac1021
You're ugly, get over it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthuludawn21
summary of the Les Paul : extremely overpriced with shoddy quality products. people only buy them on brand value. don't buy a gibson les paul people, buy a so-called "copy". esp EC1000 deluxe, agile AL-3000, ibanez ART, and many many more are thousands of dollars less and on average equal or better guitars. the list of issues with Les Pauls are too long to list here.

...just saying what needs to be said. i don't like to see someone throw down their hard earned cash for something that won't live up to the standards of a good instrument.

1/2 .....I agree on some points, but you make them sound like the **** of the **** here....it's a bit better than that.
SGmaniac1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #4
dar1o_kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthuludawn21

envy???
dar1o_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
kenan6346

If you pay $4000 for a Gibson Les Paul Supreme or something, your gonna get a bloody good guitar and there is absolutely no doubt about that. But a significant chunk of that price tag comes from the brand name, and you can get guitars that sound great and look great for a much cheaper price. That said, if you've got the money then go ahead and buy whatever guitar you want, you earned that money and you have the right to spend it the way you want.
kenan6346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
kschaef

To answer your question, theres a book called Total Guitar that I have. It's huge book (pages are like 16" tall and theres several hundred of them) that offers guides on how to do guitar maintenance, several playing lessons, as well as at least 15-25 pages on the history of the bigger guitar companies like Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc. and a few pages for any small company you can think of.

It's pretty awesome. Check it out.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

kschaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
goodwood

I appreciate everyone's opinion on this subject matter. Keep them coming.

kschaef thanks man. I'll check it out and see what I find.
goodwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
kschaef

No problem.

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

kschaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
Robino_Ibanez
fails at epic NPD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschaef
To answer your question, theres a book called Total Guitar that I have. It's huge book (pages are like 16" tall and theres several hundred of them) that offers guides on how to do guitar maintenance, several playing lessons, as well as at least 15-25 pages on the history of the bigger guitar companies like Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, etc. and a few pages for any small company you can think of.

It's pretty awesome. Check it out.

I've got that too! Isn't it "totally guitar" though?

Rate This Thread: