Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
EvanBrosky

When your guitar has no whammy bar

So let's say you're learning a song in which the guitar solo has some dive bombs and stuff in it, but your guitar doesn't have a whammy bar / floyd rose / kahler / whatever. What are the options you could do to replace the dive bombs and stuff?
EvanBrosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #2
Minderbinder
The Central Scrutinizer

This is certainly one option:
Old 12-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #3
Draco H.

with a whammy pedal set to an octave or 2 down it would sound about right
Draco H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:10 AM   #4
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

i make sound effects with my mouth

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Guitar137335

I use the whammy pedal and the Line 6 FM4 set to octisynth, it make the same noise as Paul Gilbert's aero plane Flanger Crazy!!

Last edited by Guitar137335 : 12-10-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Guitar137335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanBrosky
So let's say you're learning a song in which the guitar solo has some dive bombs and stuff in it, but your guitar doesn't have a whammy bar / floyd rose / kahler / whatever. What are the options you could do to replace the dive bombs and stuff?

Buy a new guitar.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #7
tappooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minderbinder
This is certainly one option:

Hey thanks for posting that vid, been looking for it for some time but didnt remember what it was called

My Buckethead covers (I don't dress up like him)
tappooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanBrosky

For slight dips in the whammy bar (one semitone or less), I push forward on the back of the headstock, which slackens the strings slightly, enough to cause a slight drop in pitch. Of course, you're not going to be able to do any Dimebag-esque divebombs with it, but it'll facilitate a few whammy bar things. You also run the risk of damaging or destroying your guitar if you do it too much or too hard, though I've never run into any problems.

Otherwise, I would just slide down from the note if it's being fretted, and if not, I don't really have a solution.

Whammy pedals work fine, too, but 1) they're expensive for beginners, 2) they sound a bit different and it's harder to get some of the finer physical control you have with the bar.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislausch
Whammy pedals work fine, too, but 1) they're expensive for beginners, 2) they sound a bit different and it's harder to get some of the finer physical control you have with the bar.

Just to add to this, the "problem" with the Whammy pedal that people need to understand is that you're simply shifting your guitar sound up or down by digitally speeding up or slowing down the sound waves. When you change pitch on a guitar, different notes are tonally different based on a number of factors, such as string thickness and tension.

It's like if you have ever played a note on one string, and then played the same note on another string. The sound is different, especially when the strings are not adjacent (and therefore farther apart in string thickness) or when going from a plain to wound string.

The differences are fairly subtle relatively speaking, but certainly notable to the average musician. I'm sure there are spectrogram pictures out there to illustrate the tonal difference between two notes on different strings, but I can't be bothered at the moment to look for any.

Dropping the whammy bar has the same effect since you are changing the tension of the string and therefore changing the way the string vibrates in terms of tone, which is something that the Whammy pedal does do, since it just pitch shifts.

On the other hand, the Whammy pedal does have aesthetic value because of this difference since a guitar cannot produce the same sounds in terms of tone that pitch shifting produces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
write 3 page long posts with the wrong opinions until people who don't actually read here or know anything about music theory promote you

worked for 20T

Now you have no excuse...
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Will Lane
needed a amp since 1995

Option 1: Hook up a whammy system/buy a guitar with a whammy system.
Option 2: Use a whammy pedal to detune your strings
Option 3: Detune your string with the tuners (my favorite)
Option 4: Use a time-based, adjustable delay and increase the time rapidly and consistently (a la "Eruption")
Option 5:

Last edited by Will Lane : 12-10-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 AM   #11
amonamarthmetal

Tune down with the tuning peg.
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
Wampler Ego Compressor
ISP Decimator G-string
MXR 10 Band EQ
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #12
derek8520

You can bend behind the nut if it's practical in the moment.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Just so we're 100% clear, you're not going to get the whammy bar sound without a whammy bar. It's just not going to happen. Nothing sounds like it with the same range of pitch at all. Neck bending, behind the nut bending, detuning with the tuners, whammy pedals, all either sound different or don't have the same pitch range, and most of them only go in one direction anyway.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
jerrykramskoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Just so we're 100% clear, you're not going to get the whammy bar sound without a whammy bar. It's just not going to happen. Nothing sounds like it with the same range of pitch at all. Neck bending, behind the nut bending, detuning with the tuners, whammy pedals, all either sound different or don't have the same pitch range, and most of them only go in one direction anyway.

Amen. +1

cheers, Jerry
jerrykramskoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: