Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #1
ArturPr

Cold hands!

Since about a month, whenever I pick my guitar up to practise, I put it down just as fast. My hands always feel soooo cold and I can`t play, it just feels bad. I tried forcing myself to play some fast excercises for 30 minutes, but it didn`t help at all. Everyone else in home says it`s warm, but my hand are always cold. What do you suggest? What warming excercises can I do? BTW I am not a fatass who sits at home 24/7, I am a rather active guy.
ArturPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
TobusRex
Tab Contributor

Have you tried squeezing those stress balls for a few minutes?
TobusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
ArturPr

doesn`t really help a lot. I think it may be a blood-flow problem but I don`t see a reason why could it happen
Old 04-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
K33nbl4d3
ayy shakira shakira

I tend to play through a couple of ska punk songs when I need to warm up my hands. Something like this:

I ignore solos for warming up, so no bends or anything to strain cold fingers, lots of quick muting to get blood flowing.
K33nbl4d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
ArturPr

it doesn`t work. I notice my left hand gets a bit warmer after playing alot of fast lines, but even after 15 minutes of constant fingerboard raping they are still not warm enough for bends, and they simply hurt. For the right hand, it just doesn`t get warm at all
Old 04-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
TobusRex
Tab Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturPr
doesn`t really help a lot. I think it may be a blood-flow problem but I don`t see a reason why could it happen

Diabetes is a prime suspect for blood flow issues. Get it checked out. You could also have carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists.
TobusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
whirlpool
Tab Contributor

Under active thyroid can cause cold hands (and feeling cold in general). If you feel generally tired too get a blood test done.
whirlpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

I have the same problem. I've always had poor circulation in my hands. What I recommend is going to a jog before playing. Or at least do something active to get your body warmed up. If that doesn't work, soak your hands in warm water for a few minutes. Keep your finger tips above the water so they don't get too soft.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
SanDune65

I have found that using Baoding balls (Chinese exercise balls, Chinese meditation balls, Chinese medicine balls and healthy balls) helped the dexterity and strength of my fingers a great deal...gets them heated up pretty damn good too.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
BCKRedBaron
Registrar'd Loser

I've had this issue in the past. Not as bad now, but in high school and college I used a Mechanix glove, one of the thinner ones, and cut the fingers out for my left hand. It seemed to help. Also, you may want to be careful with pressing yourself when your muscles are cold. When you say things like "forcing myself to play fast exercises" or "15 minutes of constant fingerboard raping" it makes me think you may be working too hard too quickly. This can put you at a greater risk of injury. Be patient.

7 String Legion
BCKRedBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #11
21GunSalute

Blowdrier. It works pretty well. If it doesn't work, see a doctor.
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
21GunSalute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
monabri

You might (might!) be suffering from Reynaud's. Don't panic. It's poor circulation to the body extremities. Make sure your body (back in particular) is warm. Try a warm drink beforehand to ensure your body core temperature is warm. Try googling Reynaud's as it is quite common.

Last edited by monabri : 04-29-2016 at 01:15 PM.
monabri is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: