Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
fadetowhite
UG Member

bending hurts

i have decent calluses. and the highest bend ive done is a bend up two steps. but does anyone have this problem that when you bend too much then the nail of that finger begins to retract or something and exposes more of the sensitive skin under the nail, and then your fingers hurt and you cant bend anymore.
fadetowhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Dobzilla
UG Addict

Uhm...

To be honest, when I've been playing, the highest bend I've come across was a step and a half, so I don't think you really should worry too much about that.
Dobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
PlagueX1
The Plague

Haven't had that happen no. I did slice my middle finger a few days ago pretty good by bending the 24th fret tho.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

PlagueX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
viper_mike

not me, and i'm bending with nylon strings
viper_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Hadeed

why bend so much? by saying ur bending 2 steps, u mean 4 semi tones, right?

if it becomes that big of a problem, simply legato slide up to it.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
dutch5367
Gibson Les Paul

I've come across a couple 2 step bends, but not many. It hurts a little, but what can you do
dutch5367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #7
jimi_sean
Guns N' Roses

Yes, I used to get that. It can be a bit painful can't it. Give it a few days and it will heal up just fine. It may happen a few more times in the future aswell. It isn't anything serious.
Now my left hand nails are just a bit smaller than before.
jimi_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
thatguyaswell

Lighter Gauge Strings...but 2 steps is quite a bend
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Marshall 1960a 4x12 with 75's
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
thatguyaswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
RCShadow
44 Years Young

To the OP....how long are your fingernails?

Chris
RCShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
fadetowhite
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCShadow
To the OP....how long are your fingernails?

Chris

i used to have relatively long nails, but now i cut them more often so they dont come in the way of guitar playing.
and i meant that the highest ive ever bent a note is four semitones up, doesnt mean i do it all the time. most of the time i do full bends. half bends also but not as often.
anyone notice that the high e-string is harder to bend than the b and the g.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM   #11
Shard Heilia
Piraxis Lead Guitarist

No... O_o

Sounds like a practice thing to me.

HELP FUND THE UG MISSILE SILO

My gear:

Ibanez AX120
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde overdrive
Peavey Valveking 112
Shard Heilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
Hadeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetowhite
i used to have relatively long nails, but now i cut them more often so they dont come in the way of guitar playing.
and i meant that the highest ive ever bent a note is four semitones up, doesnt mean i do it all the time. most of the time i do full bends. half bends also but not as often.
anyone notice that the high e-string is harder to bend than the b and the g.

the all bend the same to me... the closer you are to the nut the hard it'll obviously be to bend... i'm saying this with 0.011 to 0.049 d'addario (blues/jazz rock) strings on.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
RCShadow
44 Years Young

I find the high "e" not hard to bend obviously, but hard to nail the note . Strange since the "B" right above it is a no-brainer. Practice, practice, practice!

Chris
Old 11-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #14
fadetowhite
UG Member

what i mean is, like, with the force i apply on the high e to do a full bend is more than the force it would take me to bend the g by 3 1/2 semitones. and this problem is there even at the high frets. maybe its just my guitar
Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
thatguyaswell

could be your guitar I know some of my guitars feel stiffer than others
80's Vantage
Takamine 12 String
Ibanez Bass
Washburn Bass
Marshall JCM900
Marshall 1960a 4x12 with 75's
Acoustic 150
Line 6 POD
Boss OC-2
Heil Talk box
thatguyaswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #16
RCShadow
44 Years Young

My guitar is a hardtail so it gives your fingers a workout. The pain I had went away after a few months last year when I started. Now my calluses just have to be sanded (yep, sanded) so I don't drag other strings along while bending and such.

It's funny and probably well known but I went to my local music store and tried a tremolo equipped axe and the first bend I did was with hardtail force and whoop! The strings promptly went off the fretboard lol.

Good luck to the OP but I bet this is just a practice issue (read: technique).

Chris
Old 12-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #17
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetowhite
i have decent calluses. and the highest bend ive done is a bend up two steps. but does anyone have this problem that when you bend too much then the nail of that finger begins to retract or something and exposes more of the sensitive skin under the nail, and then your fingers hurt and you cant bend anymore.

This thread is really old. But this is exactly what is happening to me today. I play every single day either my Martin Acoustic, or my Gibson Les Paul. I have great Calluses on my fingers. Its the skin under the nail's splitting and or separating and causing extreme discomfort. I'm don't have anything planned, but I sure would like to keep practicing. I don't think any kind of super glue, or anything like that would help me. I think just letting that skin heal under the nail, probably 3-4 days would do it.

I been practicing the solo for Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd). Owie!!! the bends, the entire 3rd ring finger is very fragile and sore to the touch.

Are we the only ones dealing with this: LOL NOT!!!!!!
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 AM   #18
bptrav

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyarmour
This thread is really old. But this is exactly what is happening to me today. I play every single day either my Martin Acoustic, or my Gibson Les Paul. I have great Calluses on my fingers. Its the skin under the nail's splitting and or separating and causing extreme discomfort. I'm don't have anything planned, but I sure would like to keep practicing. I don't think any kind of super glue, or anything like that would help me. I think just letting that skin heal under the nail, probably 3-4 days would do it.

I been practicing the solo for Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd). Owie!!! the bends, the entire 3rd ring finger is very fragile and sore to the touch.

Are we the only ones dealing with this: LOL NOT!!!!!!

It has happened to me too, playing exactly the same song (Comfortably Numb) actually. It never happens to any finger except my ring finger either, even though I use the same bending technique with all of them. Unfortunately it seems some of us just have a less sturdy "connection" between the fingernail and the finger.

I've tried superglue and Newskin liquid bandages as a temporary fix, but within 10 minutes of playing that "seal" breaks and I'm back where I started, except now with a bunch of crap all over my finger.

As for preventing it in the future, make sure you are using other fingers behind the ring finger to help with the bend. Also try to bend primarily with your wrist rather than your fingers. Smaller gauge strings will obviously help too. Another thing that can help is using lotion/moisturizer on a regular basis to prevent dry skin (especially in these dry winter months).

Look up "nail separation" on google for more information about it. The general consensus seems to be it just needs time to heal though. When you come back to guitar after letting it heal I'd also take it slow the first couple days, not doing a lot of bends.
bptrav is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: