Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
sturjman

Amp Settings

i've recently bought an electric guitar and i've heard in some songs how the sound goes way fast from clean to distortion is this tune depends on the guitar you have or any guitar can do it? or it's about your amp Settings ? or the pedals that you'r using? thanks
sturjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturjman
i've recently bought an electric guitar and i've heard in some songs how the sound goes way fast from clean to distortion is this tune depends on the guitar you have or any guitar can do it? or it's about your amp Settings ? or the pedals that you'r using? thanks

It doesn't really have anything to do with the guitar, it's either going to be the amp or a pedal.

So for example you could use a footswitch to swap from a clean channel to a dirty channel on the amp, or you could disable/enable an overdrive pedal for a similar effect.

The only thing you might do with the guitar is change the pickup position. So like you might have the bridge pickup selected when riffing, and then swap to the neck pickup to play a solo.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
sturjman

is there some kind of Amps that can switch from clean to distortion? like i've seen an artists go on the stage and play like from clean the distortion without doing anything
Old 11-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Any amp with at least two channels can do that.

The guitarist would have had a footswitch plugged into the amp that allows him to change channels quickly.

So if you have one set up for high gain and one for cleans, literally all you need to do is press the switch with your foot and that will change the channel.

If you don't have a footswitch you can do the same thing, but you would need to hit the channel button on the front of the amp.
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Depending on what gear is being used they generally change tone fast because their amps will have a series of presets available which they can change between using a foot pedal. Basically you can dial in a distorted tone and then save that tone and with the press of the pedal you can instantly switch from a clean tone to that distorted tone. Smaller, cheaper amps don't usually have preset options.
There is of course a plethora of single effects pedals available which can change your tone as well. The most common one you see on pretty much every guitarists pedal board is an overdrive pedal. Usually you dial in a relatively clean tone with moderate gain, and when you activate the overdrive you can add either a small or huge amount of gain (depending on your preference).
For myself when I play heavier music I use my overdrive pedal on an already distorted tone to further push and "colour" my lead tone.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #6
sturjman

thanks for the help guys i was really confused about that tone and how you get it
Old 11-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

The only time it really matters is when playing live. If you're just playing at home I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're only using real basic gear you can always play with a distorted tone and when you want to switch to a clean tone roll down the volume nob on your guitar most the way and it should give an okay clean tone.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:02 AM   #8
chewiee1145

A Day To Remember on a Line 6 Spider 1

Hi there, Could someone help me out? Im attempting to get my Line 6 Spider 1 into the sound of a day to remember. Im currently playing songs like all i want, downfall of us all. If someone could help me get the right sound that would be great
chewiee1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #9
SpiderM
Geetar playing marsupial

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewiee1145
Hi there, Could someone help me out? Im attempting to get my Line 6 Spider 1 into the sound of a day to remember. Im currently playing songs like all i want, downfall of us all. If someone could help me get the right sound that would be great

There is a thread on amp settings somewhere.
Failing that, you should start your own thread and not in 'guitar techniques' if you want a good response.
SpiderM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: