Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

The Monthly Metal Feature - April

How-do boys and boys. Welcome to the April edition of the Monthly Metal feature.

Since the positive reception of the first one, i've decided that after this installment, we're going to release a new one on the 1st of every month. Give you something to look forward to amidst the dirge of economic downturn. Aswell as bringing you a new section to park your gnashers into. Get in.

So without further ado, thanks to our selfless contributors, here is your feature. Enjoy.

Oh, and for those who wish to look back or had missed it...

The First Monthly Feature
Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Band of the Month - In Mourning

Brought to you by Broadsword

What happens when you combine the aggression of Opeth, the melancholic rock-riffing of Katatonia, and the atmospheric qualities of Edge of Sanity? The result is up-and-coming Swedish Prog-Metallers, In Mourning, who, while still paying homage to their previously-mentioned forefathers, offer an immediately refreshing slab of melodic and progressive metal.

With only the debut, Shrouded Divine, and a handful of demos under their belt, In Mourning already prove they certainly know how to handle their instruments. Thus far, they’ve managed to write music that not only will instantly piques one’s interest – while not being readily gratifying – but has substantial staying power as well, due to a multitude of interesting subtleties and smart structuring.

In the debut, one will find aggressive and melodic riffing (note: not in the laughable Gothenburg sense), powerful growled vocals, and tasteful breakdowns, all cleverly used in conjunction with atmospheric clean/acoustic passages and sparse clean vocals. It must also be noted that, unlike the current scene of modern Progressive Metal bands, the album is devoid of any pretentious “wankery,” and in its place, substance.

It is the atmosphere of the album as a whole, however, which sets In Mourning above being just a ‘good’ band. This is brought about largely in part by a fantastic production job and, most importantly the leads. Indeed, it is the leads which carry the album and propel it to great heights, creating a space-y feeling reminiscent to that of Edge of Sanity’s Crimson albums and Katatonia’s later efforts.

They are not without their flaws, obviously; a few shaky transitions are scattered throughout, and some sections are overdrawn. Regardless, Shrouded Divine is an incredibly solid and mature album, especially for being a debut, and high hopes are held for their upcoming album.

In Mourning is highly recommended for fans of the afore-mentioned bands, or for anyone who is looking for melodic, memorable (Progressive) Metal that isn’t personally insulting.

Metal-Archives

MySpace - Recommended Song: The Black Lodge

Official Website
Old 04-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Lost Relic: Multiplex - World

Brought to you by VampireGoldfish

Quote:
tut tutut TUT
booom
tut tutut tututututu
boom booom boom
tut tutut TUT
booooooom
tut tutut tututututu

And with that 39 second intro to this true hidden gem, I discovered one my many contenders for the throne of one hit wonders in the underground metal world so long ago.

Hailing from Tokyo Japan....
One full length under their belt...
A member of a superb compilation of grinding power back in the day...

Multiplex

Combining a pin point deadly accurate dose of old school grind/death with some flavorful pinch's of electronica and other oddities, its a wonder these pioneers NEVER got any attention that their music deserved. The music evokes images of cold, dead, unforgiving steel machinery in a world devoid of life. The drums pound and drill away with memorable, that's right, MEMORABLE drumming, with a unique bombastic sound that has seemed too sadly lose its popularity in metal. The bass weaves and floats and flutters across the musical landscape in a playing style I've honestly only seen in this band. Wonky, bouncy, and determined... this bass will leave a mark in your ears you won't soon forget.

"So how about the geetar VG!?" Humble driving rhythms are key here. Never stale and never tiresome, they didn't really need leads to remain refreshing.

But decided to add them anyway! Out of this world robotic leads with such a pronounced alien sound. Not exactly Demilich status, but you get my point.

Harsh growls. Echoing. Cavernous. Vox from a steel labyrinth surely.

Multiplex released one album known as

WORLD

Ten unforgettable tracks from 1992 ladies and gents. Far ahead of their time.
Far far ahead of their time. Four of the bands members have ONLY produced music in this band.

Why?
Why god dammit?!

We will all have to make due with whats available.
Whats available is damn fucking amazing though.

Link to the now unavailable album

VG
Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

The Essential Guide to... Blind Guardian

Brought to you by Phill-Rock

Blind Guardian are one of the pioneering power metal bands. Formed in 1984 in Krefeld, West Germany under the name "Lucifer's Heritage" by vocalist/bassist Hansi Kürsch and lead guitarist Andre Olbrich, who would go on to be the principle song writers for all Blind Guardian releases. They released two demos under this name, and underwent some lineup changes before settling on Hansi Kürsch, Andre Olbrich, Marcus Siepen (rhythm guitar) and Thomen Stauch (drums) as the concrete lineup. Between 1987 and 2005 (with Thomen leaving) this lineup remained solid, making BG one of the longest lasting metal bands without personel change. When the band signed to No Remorse Records, they changed their name to avoid being seen as satanic in content.

They debuted with Battalions of Fear in 1988, a speed metal album with some small hints of what was to come. The following year, they released Follow the Blind, which began to showcase a sound more reminiscent of what we would today consider power metal, with thrash influences. Kai Hansen's (of Helloween) appearance on this record cemented BG into the power metal greats with an endorsement of the man many claim invented the genre. In 1990, Tales from the Twilight World (their 3rd album) took a turn towards the more melodic and choral style that the band's brand of epic melodic power metal is known as today. In 1992, Somewhere Far Beyond continued in the same direction, and the live album Tokyo Tales displayed the band's presence, skill and power in live delivery. But it is with the next two releases (Imaginations from the Other Side, and Nightfall in Middle-Earth) that BG generally are agreed to be at the pinnacle of their success. Soaring vocals, fast and heavy rhythms, rapidly pulsing bass, pounding drums, majestic melodies and classically whimsical synths make up the two biggest competitors for their Magnum Opus. However, it is at this point that Hansi decided to give up bass duties to focus on his prmoninent Queen-styled vocals (letting Oliver Holzwarth take up live/session bass). Between these two releases, they brought out an album of cover songs and reworkings of their own songs with The Forgotten Tales. And then there was a four year silence before their return featuring a new directions with A Night at the Opera. This new effort brought a lighter, more progressive and orchestral sound to the bands repertoire, quite unlike their previous offerings. In the next two years, the double live album (simply entitled Live) and the live DVD Imaginations Through the Looking Glass, proved them to be amongst the best live performers in the entire metal scene. Due to musical differences, Thomen left the band over the departure from the heavier speed metal side. Frederik Ehmke took over drum duties on A Twist in the Myth, what many fans believe to be the bands weakest record to date. However, sometime after 2010, two new albums have been promised: One, an orchestral project. The other, what some believe will be a return to the hayday of the mid-late 90's.

First Purchase - Imaginations From the Other Side

Featuring all original band members on their original intruments, and containing a balance of what BG has come to be known for, this is a perfect first outing for anyone. A bridge between the melodic new and heavy old, arcing higher, perhaps, than either.

Follow-Up Purchase - Nightfall in Middle Earth

A truly cinematic experience. This is a concept album based on J. R. R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion. Hansi's vocals are given full attention as he chose to step aside from his bass duties. With the help of spoken-word narrative tracks, speedy solos and riffs, melodic interludes and orchestral elements, it weaves an amazing story.

Also Get - Follow the Blind

With FTB, you'll experience a more polished version of their old speed metal style at its best. Full of headbanging glory and irresistible sing-along classics for the traditional metal fan. It's amazing to see how great they sound with only one previous album under their belts.

Hit or Miss - Battalions of Fear

High on the list of great metal albums for me, but for some the not-so-fantastic production, raw and agressive style, and band members who aren't yet fully sure of how to excecute what they intend can be a put off. Thrashy, speedy, powerful, and featuring some amazing songs. But still one to be careful with.

Avoid - A Twist in the Myth

Well, don't avoid it, but certainly keep it until last. Some love it, some... well, they don't hate it, but would agree with my advice to stay away until you have accumulated the rest of the back catalog. Songs like Otherland and Skalds and Shadows still make the album enjoyable, though as a whole it's lacklustre compared to its predecessors.

More Info

Official Blind Guardian Website

Another Stranger Me (Music Video)

Mr. Sandman (Music Video)

Blind Guardian on MySpace
Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

Maybe it's finally a time for me to check Blind Guardian out, they seem like an interesting band

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
matt85210
UG's Sexy Party Host

This is one of the few brilliant ideas this forum has. Great thread, Dyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
freddaahh
A jolly nice chap

Woah, In Mourning are brilliant. Thanks for this, a great thread idea.
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
dead-fish
Professor Miseria Supremu

Powerslave, depending on if I can or can't get next month's Essential Guide spot, I will or won't be doing the BoTM, which means that you might be able to do it as planned originally.

Now, is the Essential Guide spot taken for next month? If not, then I'm calling it.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

By the looks of it, Psychopathology wanted to do it.

But if you want to swap, arrange with him. From his post I think he'd be quite happy to.

And sorry Dunc, it looks like the 3 spots have been taken.

I guess you can have the June one if you so wish.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
duncang
Popular British sitcom

I just deleted my post cause I realised that, but I'll take June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Why did you take out the mediafire link of World from my post?
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Old 04-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
Reviewer Pete
1994 No More

In Mourning are excellent. Well, the title track and The Black Lodge anyways.

As for Blind Guardian...no mention of ANATO? The most epic metal album evar!!1
Old 04-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

an unenlightened one
Old 04-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

^Because if you know the rules, you'd know you can't link to illegal downloads.

Obviously I don't have a problem with it, but i'm sure UG's administrators do.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

They can ban me if they want.

Best way to look at it
Its a hidden gem. No MySpace, no website, no blogs.

There was no other way for me to share the music, which was required by the rules.
an unenlightened one

Last edited by VampireGoldfish : 04-09-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #16
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Ah, I forget there was no MySpaz link in there.

Well you're right, I can't find the **** either.

I'll put it back in then.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Thanks.
an unenlightened one
Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
Kusabi
UG's Comrade Ogilvy

Awesome thread is awesome. I've been meaning to check out In Mourning and this is pretty good motivation to. Will check out Multiplex also.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Still haven't checked out In Mourning yet, I think i've listened to them before...but, I just haven't gotten around to listening to them. Currently listening to Multiplex - Empty Happiness

I am finding it to be pretty good, has a real metal feel...like in a steel factory. Upbeat, brutal (yeah I said it), the vocals i'd like to be a bit stronger, just a nudge more...that was probably the worst thing I could find that was wrong with them..; They're very good.

imo, the album really progresses. The first instrumental kinda threw me off, but it's gotten oh so much better

I'll check out In Mourning after World is done.
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Let me know what you think of the rest.
It really is the definition of Hidden Gem. I don't know a single person that listens to them besides me.
an unenlightened one

Rate This Thread: