Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
herozs

how good of a guitarist was kurt cobain

How good of a guitarist was he? Was he good enough? Like do people here are better than him? just wondering
herozs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
sebastian_96
I spared no expense

He was alright I guess

the muffin!
sebastian_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
BSM123456789

he was good enough for his purposes, but im pretty confident that most guitarists here surpassed kurt's level of playing
BSM123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
nosaj89
nosaj89

some of the riffs on bleach are hard to play, i think he's a better songwriter than guitarist.
nosaj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
johnny butt

his guitar playing was ok, but his greater expertise lied in songwriting
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/johnny+butt/music/
johnny butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
GNiCk89
I Love the Morning Smoke

I dunno, lemme call him....

KURT!!!

.......he didn't answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
GNiCk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
sebastian_96
I spared no expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNiCk89
I dunno, lemme call him....

KURT!!!

.......he didn't answer.

the muffin!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
Jesus_Dean
Jumpinī Jiminy Jeezus!

Kurt Cobain wasn't a great musician. He just had tons of personality and charisma and that's what drew the people to him. If you see the live videos, he was often too f***ed to play, but the crowd enjoyed his show anyway.

B.t.w. I have a 14y.o. daughter who thinks Cobain is the greatest and she wasn't even born yet when he pulled the plug.
Jesus_Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
sebastian_96
I spared no expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Dean
B.t.w. I have a 14y.o. daughter who thinks Cobain is the greatest and she wasn't even born yet when he pulled the plug.

the muffin!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #10
sacred_silence7
UG Senior Member

Nirvana Thread

sacred_silence7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Dean
Kurt Cobain wasn't a great musician. He just had tons of personality and charisma and that's what drew the people to him. If you see the live videos, he was often too f***ed to play, but the crowd enjoyed his show anyway.

I'm more technically proficient than Kurt Cobain was at guitar. Yet he's sold more records than me. Therefore, I can only concur that Kurt>Me. And that being the case, he is clearly a better guitarist than I am, since he used HIS guitar to enterain far more people than I did. As for his personality and charisma.. His reclusive interviewing and putting his guitar out of tune on purpose to piss off his fans seems to disagree.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
zuckuss00
Let's all go it hog-wild

I think Kurt was a far better songwriter and lyricist, than a guitar player. But Kurt did have a real gift for music, i am sure he could have played the most complicated of material if he wanted. But instead he took simplicity and really made it work! He cared more about the melody and the hook in a song than the complexity of it. Look at Nevermind, the entire album is based around simple riffs and basic power chord, but has sold 26 million copies because of the image and sound! He had to do something right! But as far is technically goes he was not the best guitar player ever, if you watch videos and study his playing technique it was not considered correct, yet he spent more time practicing the guitar than probably 98% of the people on this forum. He had a different view on music, and arpeggios, sweeps, scales and fingerpicking didnt fit in to what he was trying to create...
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black

Last edited by zuckuss00 : 04-19-2009 at 03:27 AM.
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
toyboxmonster
lost in other worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
I'm more technically proficient than Kurt Cobain was at guitar. Yet he's sold more records than me. Therefore, I can only concur that Kurt>Me. And that being the case, he is clearly a better guitarist than I am, since he used HIS guitar to enterain far more people than I did. As for his personality and charisma.. His reclusive interviewing and putting his guitar out of tune on purpose to piss off his fans seems to disagree.

Not really sure that's a good argument.
I do think he was a great guitarist, but people like the Jonas Brothers are not, and yet they entertain plenty of fans.
Music shouldn't be about entertainment, and some of the best guitarists have only been heard by a few hundred people, whereas some really terrible ones have worlwide recognition.
toyboxmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
David_Bowie=GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboxmonster
I do think he was a great guitarist, but people like the Jonas Brothers are not, and yet they entertain plenty of fans.
Music shouldn't be about entertainment, and some of the best guitarists have only been heard by a few hundred people, whereas some really terrible ones have worlwide recognition.

But the jonas brothers aren't actually playing their guitars, they are just pretending to. And they dont entertain people, they entertain mindless little 12 year old disney fangirls (demons).

Kurt actually had talent, unlike what many people on UG will tell you. He could play some complicated things (look up Nirvana's Heartbreaker cover) but he usually didn't because it wouldn't fit the music. Just think of it this way, would a EVH-like solo fit any Nirvana songs?

Also TS, take it to the Nirvana thread. Then again, dont, we just discussed this crap a few days ago in there and im sick of the arguement.
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
David_Bowie=GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #15
Ninjamonkey767

He's not a great guitarist, but he's a great musician. It's sort of the "Generation X" attitude to blur the two together into the same thing, I believe.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
sleazydan
i hate Pete Doherty

Great songwriter and singer... i guess in technical terms not a brilliant guitar player HOWEVER.

I don't know how he managed it but he seems to have the ability to play the guitar whilst it is in full swinging motion around his head.. when i play i can only move about a little bit but somehow Kurt can through himself around the stage and still play his song properly.
I kind of admire him for that because that's what i love to see when i see bands, a bit of excitement and he surely does that live!
sleazydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #17
ledmetacdc

I second the thought that he was mostly a songwriter. When you look at his famous tunes, the guitar is backing the song. Pretty much the only reason to him too, is for his guitar lines.
ledmetacdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #18
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboxmonster

I'm sorry, what does that have to do with anything? A good guitarist is someone who can use their guitar to entertain people. If they can't do that, then they're a bad guitarist. I don't really see what other qualifications are necessary for being a good guitar player. If I sit in a room and play very technically well, but bore people, did I do my job as a guitarist? No. Therefore, I'm not very good. It really is as simple as that.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #19
flea's trumpet

the fact that Kurt could be trippin balls on heroin and still manage to perform makes him a pretty good guitarist in my books.

its silly to say that he is a mediocre guitarist simply because his songs are easy to play.
flea's trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Ninjamonkey767

Meh, everybody has different opinions on what "good guitarist" means. Lemme see if I can put this to bed:

Songwriting ability = Good (ignoring for a second the notion that he stole riffs, which may or may not be true)
Technical ability = Low (though maybe he's just hiding it)
Ability to play guitar while swinging it around is head = Good (though anyone can do that with enough distortion )

Rate This Thread: