Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #41
slimp

TS: if I were you, I would just buy a cheapa$$ Peavey Vypr 15 for 100 bucks, then in the meantime, save for a quality amp. By the time you have saved up a couple grand and done the research, you will know exactly what you want. Also, you said it is just a hobby, you don't want to invest a bunch of cash into an amp/effects if you are not sure that you will stay dedicated to guitar.
slimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #42
Ethanb08
No one in particular

Well theres that Peavey 6505+ 112 combo comming out sometime this year, it would probably be capable on the crunch channel of imitating his earlyer tone. Theres also a MXR EVH Phase 90 (phaser), MXR EVH Flanger, and the Dunlop EVH Wah (not really nessicary cause Eds not famous for his wah playing.) As for a delay, you could probably get almost any of the ones avalable, to stay in the MXR family you could get a Carbon Copy...lol

If your looking for Balance era sound that will be difficult. You would need 3 amps (Peavey 6505 style) 2 effects units capable of a detune effect. Then you would have to configure it like Wet/Dry/Wet, first amp being wet means its detuned up or down, the middle amp is dry meaning no effects, the other wet amp is detuned opposite of the first. I have a Sound clip of me imitating the balance style setup in my profile its the Amsterdam/Cabo wabo tone one. Or you could get a chorus pedal, it wont sound exactly the same, it will be more of a cheap imitation, but it should keep you satisfied if your picky. By the way MXR makes a Chorus pedal...lol no but theres also boss and digitech ones which would suffice.

But for all out cheapness, maybe look at a Vox AD15vt (mostly cause it has effects with it), thats what I used in my early days and I was a big Eddie fan. Or the new version of it the Vox VT15. Other than that if you want to buy your own effects later then maybe go with some of the other guys suggestions like a Peavey Classic 30, the Peavey Windsor or Peavey 6505+ 112.

Note that no matter how hard you try to get eddies sound, you probably wont get it, you may get close enough to satisfy yourself but like riffhog said it may be way off. But thats fine, as long as you are happy.
MXR phase 90, Carbon Copy
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)
ETB Infinity
ETB Wolfgang

Last edited by Ethanb08 : 04-21-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Ethanb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #43
riffhog
SLO Mojo

^Hey, Ethan! Just checked your chorus-VH clip, & while it's a bit looser & fizzier than Eddie's (IMO), you did a really nice job duplicating the depth of that tone, which I had yet to hear anyone do correctly until now. Great job! I have a flanger & chorus that I play with sometimes, & I can't come close to the depth you got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
riffhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #44
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffhog
Every time I hear someone say that such & such amp nails the brown sound, I just laugh myself silly when I hear the amp or clips for myself. Most aren't even close. There exist only a handful of amps that will REALLY get teh brown, with all the dynamics & sustain. If you're a pretty decent player, & play a lot of VH, you may be able to coax some brown-esque tones from other amps, but otherwise forget it. Anything else is just a mock compromise.

This is so true, in most cases people just suggest amps that they own because they've played some VH riffs on it and thought it sounded decent. It is really hard to get a certain players tone, and it's not just EVH, another case is Jimmy Page where whenever someone asks for Led Zeppelin tone, a ton of recommendations come in for any old mid gain, British voiced tube amps, when in reality, it's extremely hard to nail that Page tone without the right combination of amp, speakers, guitar, pickups and technique.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 PM   #45
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

He wants to get back into guitar after 12 years and he built a Frankenstrat. Who cares? I'd rather have someone stear me into an amp that might work for me then to tell me I'll never get a certain tone and to just give up.

TS - troll your craigslist and see if you can find a used Peavey Classic 30.

PS - I had you confused with another ThreadStarter who had $300 for amp and $300 for pedals. what is your total budget for amp? If you built a guitar and got decent pups then I'm sure you can stretch for a decent amp.

PSS - the 6505+ 112 won't be out until Octoberish.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #46
Mslone

Wow, Thanks for all the advice and banter... I appreciate your feedback and I now have several amps I will be trying out at Guitar Center this weekend!

The guy at the Guitar store mentined that Line 6 makes a nice practice amp with lots of built in effects for the $$.

I will try all the ones you have suggested.

Thanks again.
Mslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #47
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslone
The guy at the Guitar store mentined that Line 6 makes a nice practice amp with lots of built in effects for the $$.

If that is the Spider III he's talking about, kick him in the nuts. Try the amps listed here in this thread.

They troll your local craigslist to get a deal on one.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #48
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

Quick Newbie Amp Buying Guide:

>Avoid Fender Frontmen, Line6 Spiders, Marshall MGs. These amps don't sound great and worse, are unreliable.
>Don't let the salesman tell you what you need.
>Try before buy.
>Valve (generally) has superior sound unless you have a lower budget.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #49
riffhog
SLO Mojo

This entire thread has a lemming vibe to it. No matter what you tell the lemming, he's still going to jump off the cliff.
Good luck, & I want to be the first to congratulate the soon to be proud owner of one of the infamous trifecta.

Edit: TS, check out this thread:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1111823

Quote:
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Last edited by riffhog : 04-22-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #50
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

+1
Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #51
stratman_13
little kicks

Dude, if you want the Brown Sound, you're going to need to listen to Randy (riffhog).

His re-amped Mojave has the closest brown sound I have EVER heard, aside from the Metroamp '68 remake.

That, and Randy is just a kickass player, who actually does a really good EVH imitation. Seriously.

Who would choose to be alone, imprisoned by their broken memories?

--
stratman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #52
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman_13
Dude, if you want the Brown Sound, you're going to need to listen to Randy (riffhog).

His re-amped Mojave has the closest brown sound I have EVER heard, aside from the Metroamp '68 remake.

That, and Randy is just a kickass player, who actually does a really good EVH imitation. Seriously.

You're too kind, Jesse, & yes that Metropoulos '68 plexi clone is probably the best you can get, along with the Mojave Peacemaker.

I just hope the TS listens & doesn't live to regret his decision. Need to try amps!!!

Quote:

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #53
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman_13

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #54
ivan_2894
UG's Proud Argentinean!

guitar>phase 90>nice OD pedal> amp

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
ivan_2894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #55
Mslone

Hey, Thanks for the feedback.

Here are some pics of my Frankenstein replica:

It turned out really good i think. I still need to add the Floyd Rose, Its on it's way. Once that is done I think it will be really close!

Hey I stopped at a local Guitar shop and tried a few amps they did not have most of the amps ya'll suggested but they did have this used 1980's Fender 75W Jam amp that sounded pretty good for $100 Seemed to be in great shape...sound decent to me. I did not buy it, I thought I would come back here and see if anyone was familar with this old amp and if they had any opinions. It might be a cheap option to get me back into playing while I figure out exactly what I need/want...

Here is a pic I found online of the amp:

Thanks again for all the advice!
I'm trying to use it all to my advantage....I;m not letting any salesman sale me anything until I get some feedback for ya'll ....and I;m not going to jump off the cliff like some one here mentioned...
Mslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #56
mcrfobtai
Hates mcr, fob and tai

Try going for a Peavy Windsor or a Laney AOR. Those amps have the best Marshall sound in the price range for the money imo

Buy my Classic 30!
mcrfobtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #57
Shinozoku
UG Nerd

Randall RM20 with a Brown Module.

Or RM50 with a Brown and whatever other module you want for different tones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magero
Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores

Last edited by Shinozoku : 04-24-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Shinozoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #58
greggybhoy
Glasgow Irish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinozoku
Randall RM20 with a Brown Module.

Or RM50 with a Brown and whatever other module you want for different tones.

He doesn't have that much money to spend.

TS, I stand by my Peavey Windsor Studio recommendation. It's great for what you need.

The amps you have put forward as candidates are in no way going to complement or make the most out of the hard work you've put into your excellent looking guitar. As I've already said, that Van Halen pickup you installed will be useless unless running it through a decent VALVE amp - decent doesn't mean expensive. You cannot polish a turd, so take some sensible advice. Take note that for a decent Van Halen sound, you need a valve amp of some description otherwise you will be back asking us how to get his sound from an amp that will not come close to it no matter what.
greggybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #59
DaddyBarbs
UG Freak

Stop looking for $100 solutions- you'll be much happier spending $300 on something we suggest. We know what we're talking about.
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
DaddyBarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #60
saltysnail
Perma-Bland

If you have around 200 to spend and want some effects, and are just bedroom jamming, try finding an old lead 12. They're pretty good at getting a marshally sound for a very cheap amp, and they're certainly better than the mg's.

If it isn't to your liking or you can't find it, try the windsor studio or the vypyr. Both are good, easy to find, amps.
saltysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: