Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #61
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Michael, first I want to tell you that Frankie looks pretty damn good, man

Glad to hear you're not wasting your cash on one of the notorious sh!tboxes that salesmen throw at you!
Some of those old Fenders (even the SS ones) can get acceptable VH tones to get by on. I forgot to mention that I have a little 1996 Fender Princeton 112 Plus SS that does a pretty decent VH impersonation. I could put up a clip, & no one would guess it was SS, esp after you add echo & phaser to it. I heard Terry Lauderdale (ex-guitarist for the VH tribute band Hot For Teacher) use one on the radio one time, & it was astonishingly good (as is Terry). As many people have said, the vast majority of EVH's tone is simply in his hands.
If that little Fender gets it close enough for you, hell, buy it! What's $100? Worst case you have an extra practice amp.

Again though-awesome job on the guitar. Great attention to detail. That quarter looks oddly out of place though . Shouldn't it be under the edge of the bridge? Hope it's a 1971 also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
riffhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #62
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I just wanted to pop in say your frankenstrat looks great!

Also, at this point you need to save up for a good amp so that $100 Fender amp may be the way to go for now.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 04-25-2009 at 02:53 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #63
Ethanb08
No one in particular

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffhog
^Hey, Ethan! Just checked your chorus-VH clip, & while it's a bit looser & fizzier than Eddie's (IMO), you did a really nice job duplicating the depth of that tone, which I had yet to hear anyone do correctly until now. Great job! I have a flanger & chorus that I play with sometimes, & I can't come close to the depth you got.

Yah, its kinda funny cause I recorded that one not with the 6505+ but with my Vox AD15vt, cause it was upstairs near the computer and i was lazy...lol its on the nu-metal amp type (so recto copy I think). But yah I recorded it into audobe adition, copy and pasted 2 more of the tracks, hard panned one right and one left, then left one in the middle. I then used the strech function and detuned the left to 99.5 and the right to 100.5, and wallah you acheive the same effect as eddies balance era sound. A chorus comes close but it will never be on because it is a modulation effect, and detuning doesnt modulate it stays at a specific pitch. Perhaps I will load one up with eddies settings on my 6505+ either F.U.C.K. album settings or some other live ones, which might be balance era... I'm not sure.
MXR phase 90, Carbon Copy
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)
ETB Infinity
ETB Wolfgang
Ethanb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #64
Mslone

riffhog,

I picked up the the Fender Jam, I talked em down to $80. So it will be qa good starting point!

Regarding the Quarter. Yes it is a 1971.... Took a while to find.... The position looks off becuase the Floyd Rose is not on the Gutar yet. The Floyd is larger in the back and will extend back close to the quarter. I will put up new photos when I get it installed.

OK so I have an Amp to practice on. What all effects pedals do I need for VH? besides Phase & Flange.

Thanks for the help guys!
Mslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #65
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

You don't need effects to practice Eddie licks but if you found a used Phaser on craiglist that might be nice to have - but personally I'd save every penny you can toward a better amp.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #66
Harvesterofsrrw

get a good tube amp with a good clean channel and get a tonebone hot british, mxr phase 90, mxr flanger and a good delay pedal, you may want a crybaby wah wah too for some stuff
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Harvesterofsrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #67
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslone
riffhog,

I picked up the the Fender Jam, I talked em down to $80. So it will be qa good starting point!

Regarding the Quarter. Yes it is a 1971.... Took a while to find.... The position looks off becuase the Floyd Rose is not on the Gutar yet. The Floyd is larger in the back and will extend back close to the quarter. I will put up new photos when I get it installed.

OK so I have an Amp to practice on. What all effects pedals do I need for VH? besides Phase & Flange.

Thanks for the help guys!

The obvious choice for EVH solo tone would be a phaser (the re-issue Frankie-paint job one w/ the "Script" switch works pretty well) & some delay. That should get you in the ballpark. A flanger is nice for some songs, but not necessary IMO, except for playing "Unchained". I rarely use my flanger, even when I play VH covers, mostly because it's a noisy old POS '78 MXR.

Quote:
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #68
Mslone

Do you guys recommend going with individual pedals or getting one those Multi effects pedal boards with 6 built in one like a Boss unit? Looks more conveinent?

Pros / Cons?
Mslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #69
bubb_tubbs
UG's Grouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslone
Do you guys recommend going with individual pedals or getting one those Multi effects pedal boards with 6 built in one like a Boss unit? Looks more conveinent?

Pros / Cons?

If possible, I'd borrow somebody else's unit for a few weeks and try it out.

I bought my PODXT Live with the intention of using all sorts of awesome effects and really only ended up coming back to Wah, Overdrive and Chorus, plus the onboard EQ and noise gate.

My pedal selection so far has reflected what I learned. If you can do it cheaper without buying the unit, that's fantastic.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
bubb_tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #70
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
If possible, I'd borrow somebody else's unit for a few weeks and try it out.

I bought my PODXT Live with the intention of using all sorts of awesome effects and really only ended up coming back to Wah, Overdrive and Chorus, plus the onboard EQ and noise gate.

My pedal selection so far has reflected what I learned. If you can do it cheaper without buying the unit, that's fantastic.

Borrowing stuff to try out is the best way to go for sure. There's so many great multi-FX processors out there, esp used ones, but many, if not most, color your tone to an unacceptable degree IMO. I've personally had good luck with a Lexicon MX200 rack reverb/processor (gregs1020 has the same unit also), but I only use the reverb on it, & pedals for everything else. The MX200 is under $200 new, but I'm not sure if it's been discontinued. There's just certain pedals that I really like (Fulltone OCD, Phase 90 script setting, MXR vintage flanger), & they aren't duplicated well by anything digital that I've found yet.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #71
bkstackerben

I have found that my fender frontman 15w amp ($99) can actually produce a lot of the classic van halen I/II tones
bkstackerben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #72
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkstackerben
I have found that my fender frontman 15w amp ($99) can actually produce a lot of the classic van halen I/II tones

That's nice.

The thread is FIVE YEARS OLD!

Rate This Thread: