Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
josephgriffiths

ISP Decimator VS. Boss NS-2

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out why everyone everywhere says the ISP is so much better than the NS-2.

I currently own an NS-2 and have been using it for years. I set it up as follows:

guitar-->NS-2 input-->NS-2 loop send-->(pedals before amp)--> amp input-->AMP FX SEND-->(other pedals inc. EQ etc)-->NS-2 loop return-->NS-2 ouput-->(delay/chorus pedals)-->AMP FX return.

So I've incapusated the amp pre amp stage in the NS-2's loop. It takes the threshold from my guitar. So if I don't play is silences all the pedals including my amps preamp stage. It won't silence the time delay pedals though.

So my big question is that if the NS-2 completely silences my rig even on super high gain settings, and has a pretty damn fast response. What is it about the ISP that is so much better? Is it just a tone sucking thing perhaps? or does the ISP also do some hiss filtering while you're play as well or something?

Thanks.
josephgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Mark G
UG Nerd

NS-2 does it well, ISP decimator does it better. It is just more transparant. Not a big deal for loud live volumes, but more obvious for recording and low volumes.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
eyebanez333
UG's storm chaser

The ISP is more transparent. I've owned both. The decimator went out on me awhile back, so I just picked up a used NS2 and it's still on my board
eyebanez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!

My understanding is that the ISP is true bypass and the Boss is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
mrxtreme_4
... ... ...

The NS-2 worked for me, I never really noticed any significant changes in tone when using it. A bit of color I guess, but it didn't suck my tone
mrxtreme_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut

nu-uh

the decimator has (IMO) a much better buffer, but i'm sure it's still buffered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #7
DanTheHobbit
Possible Homer Sexual

So for most applications, replace the buffer in the Boss (via solder or an honest tech) and save a load of money?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
fixationdarknes
RR addict

Momentary threadjack: I've heard that it's better to get 2 regular ISP's (non G-string version) and just run one through the pedal chain and one through the loop rather than having the G-string which does both.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard_xD
So while you fap, you're thinking "oh this is a really good song, I'll need to get the album?"
fixationdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
madh4ttr
What the .....

how many times are we gonna see this thread
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

hourly.
I have the NS-2 and the G-String.
The ISP is better.
That is all.
ktnxbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
denied
Jamming

The ISP is a much better gate, and as Dave said, has a much better buffer. Not TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
Momentary threadjack: I've heard that it's better to get 2 regular ISP's (non G-string version) and just run one through the pedal chain and one through the loop rather than having the G-string which does both.

Thoughts?

It depends. Having two gates allows you to set different thresholds for each pedal, as opposed to just one with the G string. That said, the G string has the tighter gating technology of the rack version. It depends on what you need.
denied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanTheKraut

I would imagine that a true bypass on a noise gate in most instances is a rather moot feature.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheHobbit
So for most applications, replace the buffer in the Boss (via solder or an honest tech) and save a load of money?

how much is a tech gonna charge you to replace the buffer?

But I mean assuming you keep the noise gate on all the time, it doesn't really matter about the buffer. if you ask me the decimator is a better gate as well. I mean, the ns2 will do the job, but the decimator will do it better.

Quote:

Thoughts?

not sure- but certainly the g-string is only marginally cheaper than two decimators, so it may be worth considering, especially since you'd have two threshold controls. Another advantage would be that, in the unlikely event that the pedal breaks, if you have the g-string you're screwed, whereas if you have the two bog-standard decimators you could probably still get through the gig, plus replacing a bog-standard decimator is a lot cheaper than replacing the g-string version.

Of course the disadvantages are that 2 pedals will take up a lot more pedalboard space and will take up more power supply jacks.

Just depends, really. I haven't tried the g-string, but assuming it does work as well as 2 normal decimators, it just depends on the individual rig and player's needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied
The ISP is a much better gate, and as Dave said, has a much better buffer. Not TB.

It depends. Having two gates allows you to set different thresholds for each pedal, as opposed to just one with the G string. That said, the G string has the tighter gating technology of the rack version. It depends on what you need.

ah, so the g-string is actually a better gate, is it? That would change things a little. I already have the bog standard decimator (i got it before the g-string was released), so I figured I'd just get another one. But if the g-string is better... (plus the pot on mine is a little dodgy, it's starting to get a bit stiff, i don't want to buy another normal decimator only to have my original one crap out 2 days later, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #14
fixationdarknes
RR addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
Of course the disadvantages are that 2 pedals will take up a lot more pedalboard space and will take up more power supply jacks.

I don't really understand though how you can do the X connection with an NS-2 or G-string and still have the pedal be on your pedalboard. Wouldn't you need really long cables and it would look like a rat's nest, with wires going everywhere?

Quote:
So while you fap, you're thinking "oh this is a really good song, I'll need to get the album?"
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
eyebanez333
UG's storm chaser

Quote:
I don't really understand though how you can do the X connection with an NS-2 or G-string and still have the pedal be on your pedalboard. Wouldn't you need really long cables and it would look like a rat's nest, with wires going everywhere?

Wouldn't be any more cables than if you were running pedals in your effects loop
eyebanez333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Seanthesheep

I notice a tone loss with my NS 2 although i have never run an ISP decimator through my rig. the tone loss you can EQ out, but I do see a room for improvemtn that could make the ISP pedal better
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
josephgriffiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebanez333
Wouldn't be any more cables than if you were running pedals in your effects loop

This is true. I run everything through the NS-2's loop (thats including my amp preamp stage).

So from what I can tell, the Standard Decimator doesn't have a separate guitar input like the G-String or NS-2 which would make it completely inferior.

But as for the G-String vs. NS-2, the G-string just has a better buffer basically. That's what I'm hearing from this thread.
josephgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:49 AM   #18
fixationdarknes
RR addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebanez333

So do you need two long cables to reach all the way from your pedalboard (where your G-string or NS-2 is located) to the back of your amp where the FX Loop input is?

Quote:
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 AM   #19
Slap-happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
I would imagine that a true bypass on a noise gate in most instances is a rather moot feature.

What about the times you want to achieve that fragile, glassy tone with your vintage Telecaster into a Deville before hitting the br00tz and knocking out some Cannibal Corpse?

Oh, hang on...
Old 07-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
EspTro

dudes, honestly if you cant get your hands on an ISP, the Boss Ns-2 has no drawbacks. i hae mine set to 3/4ths with the decay on minimum and i spent a good 20 minutes chugging while switching it on and off looking for any sort of tone sucking.....none......pull the trigger, ns2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
EspTro is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: