Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #41
gald

Quote:
a convo i overheard. It was betweem an unsuspecting mom buying her son a Christmas present and a GC employee =(

A modeling amp like a Spider, Vyper or Cube is an excellent amp for a brand new player who has never picked up an instrument before.

You guys go to some pretty bad guitar centers, I've had nothing but positive experiences at both the Boston and Nashua, NH locations.

In fact, when I went to buy an amp two years ago (picked guitar back up after a 4-year hiatus) I was looking for a high-wattage solid state (due to misconceptions about tubes) and I told the dude I wanted to check out the MG 212 combo and he said "no you don't" and took like 30 minutes to explain tube amps to me, had me try a used plexi they had there and told me I should look for a used VK, Classic 30 or Crate V series, the same advice I got here.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #42
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
"This Peavey [Windsor] is like a Marshall, but better"
me: "ORLY"
"Yeah, they took a Marshall and wired it backwards"
me: "...wut"
"They put the power tubes after the preamp so it's like the preamp is always on full gain"
me: "That's, um, that's nice." *backs away slowly*

Swear to god. To this day my friend and I joke about taking our amps apart and rewiring them - backwards - for better tone.

That's classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #43
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
"They put the power tubes after the preamp so it's like the preamp is always on full gain"

Swear to god. To this day my friend and I joke about taking our amps apart and rewiring them - backwards - for better tone.

i lol'd thats seriously pathetic
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #44
lbj273
UG God

"Well we don't have any of these white things that fit in there but you can put a smaller one in and just glue it in" speaking about the bridge for an acoustic guitar, needless to say I got one from the ol local shop after that.
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

lbj273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #45
colin617

An employee told me that I couldn't put an after-market Bigsby on my ES-335. I showed him....

Another employee told me that there was no such thing as a Gretsch Elliot Easton model. He said that nobodies do not get signature guitars.

God I hate Guitar Center.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #46
RizzoWashburn
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gald
A modeling amp like a Spider, Vyper or Cube is an excellent amp for a brand new player who has never picked up an instrument before.

You guys go to some pretty bad guitar centers, I've had nothing but positive experiences at both the Boston and Nashua, NH locations.

In fact, when I went to buy an amp two years ago (picked guitar back up after a 4-year hiatus) I was looking for a high-wattage solid state (due to misconceptions about tubes) and I told the dude I wanted to check out the MG 212 combo and he said "no you don't" and took like 30 minutes to explain tube amps to me, had me try a used plexi they had there and told me I should look for a used VK, Classic 30 or Crate V series, the same advice I got here.

The GC in Nashua is actually a great store, probably because its smaller than most other Guitar Centers. I still prefer the Music Mill in Manchester though.
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
RizzoWashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #47
IbanezPsycho

Heres by best one...

So i go into one of the local guitar centers and talk to the pedal guys and ask if they have a Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexier. They look confused but yet do there normal lets check the computer. (I've worked retail before and after about a week i know pretty much ever product we have and then some, but yet these guys cant do anything without checking the computer.) So he comes back 5 minutes later and say's they do not but they can special order it. I state no that is ok i've had bad experiances with your stores already, twice i have not gotten my products in a timely manner or not at all. And he said what happened so i told him. When I first started out buying guitar stuff. I Ordered a fish and chips pedal and it was suppossed to be in a week later but never showed so I purcahsed the m108 instead. 2 months later they inform me my fish and chips came in lol. Second one was my isp decimator. Dude says it will be here in about a week which im cool with. Two weeks later still no show, so i speak to the manager and they tell me well we have to place a order of 25 before we can order yours so it will take a while. Im like that was never told to me and he stated yea we have some idiots that work here nudge nudge man these people cycle out of here like every month. I was floored.... I cant believe he admited that... But anyway they had one at another guitar center down the road so i picked it up there. It was probably mine and they just shipped it to the wrong store lol

So he is like sir let me tell you we are the best Guitar center in the state knocking all the other guitar centers. So im like ok let me try out that Boss OC-3 you have. But there isnt a cable to connect it so it takes him 5 minutes to find a cable. So plug it in and the cable is busted, so im like um this doesnt work and he looks at me crazy.. Im like can your hear the popping and hum. So he gets me another cable and i test out the OC-3 and it didnt quite do it for me. So ask the number one worst question you can ask, well do know of any other good octave pedals. He was stumped for about 10 minutes then he started rattling off stuff and so I had to correct him on what i was orginally looking for and finally he came back with a Voodoo labs pedal and asked which amp i wanted to test it on since I really didnt think the cube the oc-3 was plugged in was really up to snuff lol. I said a Valveking and he asked who made it which caught me off guard but hey he is in accessories so i cant knock him to hard. So i stated Peavey and 10 minutes pass and he isnt to be found so i walk around the store over to the valvekings and he sees me from a distance and states ohh there they are you found them. Now this isnt a walmart by any means i can walk the whole store and see everything in like 30 seconds tops. So im like yea i found them and then starts to setup the pedal and he is adjusting all the settings on the amp for like 2 minutes. So he flicks the switch and im have my hand pressed against the strings right when i remove them the thing lgoes off and is ungodly loud so i immediatly put my hands over the strings again and its still screaming. I'm in my normal postion right hand palm muted and left hand muting the strings. So I cant turn it off or turn down my volume knob because if its this loud mute I hate to see how loud it is with my hands off it. So Immediatly tell the dude to turn it offand he is freaking out cant find what to hit to turn it off. So i move him out the way and quickly hit the standby switch. Im like good god man what did you have the volume at....................

(Now the Punch line)
He looks me straight in the eyes and says man I play fenders I didnt know... LMAO what in the hell, how does playing fenders make a defference when it comes to a volume knob. He had this thing cranked to like 7 on volume, gain all the way up with volume and gain button pushed in lol on the 212 100 watt model... Even my wife who knows nothing about amps or guitars looked at him like a idiot when he said that..

So after that shining moment i sit down and make my adjustments and turn on the amp. And I start to jam and it cuts out yet again and this time im on a different gutiar and cable so im like what the hell. So he leans over and wiggles the jack and its is crazy loose so im like okie dokie im just gonna leave now... And he is like i can get you another one, im like naaaa thats cool man yall are closing in a few minutes and he is like its cool were not gonna close on you so im like seriously dude have a nice day and thanks for all the help..

This is all from supposedly the best store in the state lol....

So many great stories from these guys...

Last edited by IbanezPsycho : 05-01-2009 at 03:15 PM.
IbanezPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #48
IwantaTele
I is hugh roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzoWashburn
The GC in Nashua is actually a great store, probably because its smaller than most other Guitar Centers. I still prefer the Music Mill in Manchester though.

Do you know about the one in north attleboro, (MA) ive considered heading out there cuz its closer to me than anyother big chain for when i buy my new amp?(local store has nothing im looking for)

I survived weeding out 09'
IwantaTele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #49
mcrfobtai
Hates mcr, fob and tai

Quote:

That's great

I never really get too many dumb employees.
Just ones that think all the tone comes from your guitar

Buy my Classic 30!
mcrfobtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #50
zeek7pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodshed
I need to do this backwards amp mod!!

I DID THE MOD!!!!! Now all the sound comes out of my pickups!

On topic:

I wanted some mic cables that have a cut-off switch on them. They flat out called me a liar when I told them I already had a dozen or so of them, the "pro audio" guys said there was no such thing, and that I needed an adapter and a bunch of other weird ****. I've been using these cables for about 15 years now and know they in fact do exist. So being a smart-ass, I went to the truck, got one, and brought in to show them. You would have thought i brought a freakin' unicorn in the store! I guess if it isn't on their shelves it doesn't exist. By the way, Peavey makes them, they don't carry Peavey cables. Dumbasses
Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #51
Dragonis

"Yeah man that spider III is a killer amp"

Unfortunately I bought it on impulse because I really needed an amp. it was cool for about a week... then I realized why everyone hates them.

I suppose the purchase was more my fault for not doing enough research before hand, but I had just recently bought my first real nice Electric (Schecter C-1 Hellraiser) and I was excited to get it up and running. I've been playing an acoustic for the entire time I've been playing a guitar, and I never really had to worry about amps until I bought the Schecter.

Needless to say the Spider is getting returned today.
Dragonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #52
mcrfobtai
Hates mcr, fob and tai

Good for you Dragonis

Buy my Classic 30!
mcrfobtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #53
darkcheef
☆☆☆

Well not a really bad experience but it kinda pissed me off. So I'm driving to my local guitar center and when I get there I tell them what amp I'm looking for. They say they only have the 15W and 75W not 30, so they say they have some on the way on Friday (3 weeks ago) and they take my name and number. So when Saturday arrives I just go to my local music store (turns out there the only registered Peavey dealer in the near 50M radius other than GC. And to this day guitar center has not called me back about the amps.
darkcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #54
occub
Ride Red

A GC employee told me that people on the internet are intelligent and always give good advice.

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.

Last edited by occub : 05-01-2009 at 04:27 PM.
occub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #55
Dragonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by occub
A GC employee told me that people on the internet are intelligent and always give good advice.

That technically can be true some of the time. It all depends where you go and who you get the advice from. Don't listen to just any idiot that doesn't know what there talking about, look around there are intelligent people with good advice out there.

Like alot of the fine people here.

But yeah thats definately not a 100% accurate statement he made.
Dragonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:48 PM   #56
tracerbeast

So at the Nashville guitar center, I asked "So who is really dumb enough to pay full price on a beat up demo Ibanez, or a tube amp that has 100's of hours on the tubes...........? Are you dumb or a bunch of A@$-holes?" He replied with "Most of the customers dont even think about that...... and hey this is a business not a charity." Then i said "So you ARE a@#holes!" I bought some strings and this other employee says (very stoned might I add) "so dude whats your set up." I told him, and about three minutes later he finally replies. "Sweet dude!"
I went back an hour later with a buddy of mine and he asked me THE SAME QUESTION! I asked him how he couldnt remember me. Guitar center sucks.
tracerbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #57
warmark
The Lumberjack

Most of the comments in this thread revolve around the misinformation the employees peddle. Fact is, I see more of that in this forum than I get in GC. What is it with so many musicians and the whole "I know more than you do" attitude? Why is it so hard to admit when you don't know something? Most things involving musical equipment is preferential and subjective anyways.

The main reason not to shop at Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Music123 is that they have killed off most of their competition. We need other places around in order to keep prices down and promote good customer service.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #58
occub
Ride Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmark
Most of the comments in this thread revolve around the misinformation the employees peddle. Fact is, I see more of that in this forum than I get in GC. What is it with so many musicians and the whole "I know more than you do" attitude? Why is it so hard to admit when you don't know something? Most things involving musical equipment is preferential and subjective anyways.

The main reason not to shop at Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Music123 is that they have killed off most of their competition. We need other places around in order to keep prices down and promote good customer service.

Amen....

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
occub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #59
epiphonesg94
Banned

"Man, I really think you'll like this MG. It has great tone."

That dude was thick as hell.
epiphonesg94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #60
darkcheef
☆☆☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmark

I agree, thats why I payed $20 extra to support a local music store in tough economic times with great customer support other than GC.
darkcheef is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: