Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #61
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmark
Most of the comments in this thread revolve around the misinformation the employees peddle. Fact is, I see more of that in this forum than I get in GC. What is it with so many musicians and the whole "I know more than you do" attitude? Why is it so hard to admit when you don't know something? Most things involving musical equipment is preferential and subjective anyways.

The main reason not to shop at Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Music123 is that they have killed off most of their competition. We need other places around in order to keep prices down and promote good customer service.

There is a lot of misinformation on this forum, but forum members aren't getting paid to help people out. They do it of boredom/niceness/whatever. You're right about most things being subjective, but I think it's reasonable to at least expect people who are there to help potential customers as their job to be at least generally knowledgeable. Just my $0.02.

And I like supporting my local shop, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
TNfootballfan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #62
papersun87
Flying Sand

There's no GC in my town, only Russo's Guitars. Those guys are AWESOME. Any one of them will know almost everything about any product in the store, demo it for you, and get out of your hair when you want to play it for yourself.

I can't imagine buying from some GC hack, given the dozens of facepalm-worthy stories I've heard about their service and their Wal-Mart method of doing business.
papersun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #63
tsukihimeblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by papersun87
There's no GC in my town, only Russo's Guitars. Those guys are AWESOME. Any one of them will know almost everything about any product in the store, demo it for you, and get out of your hair when you want to play it for yourself.

I can't imagine buying from some GC hack, given the dozens of facepalm-worthy stories I've heard about their service and their Wal-Mart method of doing business.

<3 Russo's. Never had a bad experience with them.
tsukihimeblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #64
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

I was told that groove tubes bias themselves.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #65
Austin_Scharosc
gear snobbery over 9000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by al112987
I was told that groove tubes bias themselves.

Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Austin_Scharosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #66
David_Bowie=GOD

This spider III is one of the best practice amps around...

I was a beginner and bought it, thankfully it was only 15w so it was only 100 bucks wasted.

I do love the spider valves though, Line 6 modeling is good. Sure, it may not be the best sounding tube amp for the price, but its a step up from SS and it sounds miles better than the Spider IIIs.

I also once asked what pickups would they recommend for my epi sg(eventually I will put better pickups in)for playing alternative, grunge, modern rock, and classic rock. He told me about EMGs.

Other than the salesmen who force spider IIIs on you, my GC isn't that bad, most of the salesmen are good and helpful. They aren't overly pushy like the people at the Sam Ash next door.
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
David_Bowie=GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #67
gregs1020
Hi mom!

"You kids get away from those magazines, you make the pages stick together!"

Or maybe that was at my dad's barber shop, can't remember.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #68
Dizma

So when I was a beginner I go in there wanting to buy the Marshall solid state half stack and he goes, " dude, you should get this Raven half stack. It's way better cuz it can go from clean to metal so not knowing anything about amps, I bought it... That was the biggest waste of money! But now I have a Mesa so who cares anymore...
Dizma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #69
papersun87
Flying Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Bowie=GOD
I also once asked what pickups would they recommend for my epi sg(eventually I will put better pickups in)for playing alternative, grunge, modern rock, and classic rock. He told me about EMGs.

This is not necessarily bad advice.
papersun87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #70
TMF128
Custom User Title:

I am lucky, the guys at the Guitar Center near me know what they are talking about.

When I was buying my second amp after my first one died, they said that the Spider III is a good amp, which it IS for a beginner. It may not suit tonefreaks tastes, but for a beginner, the 15 watt is a good amp to start out on. Anything bigger is a waste of money, and shouldn't be used on stage. Don't get me wrong, I am not a Spider supporter, I prefer tube amps by a mile, but the Spider III was a good amp to start out on.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
TMF128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #71
Dizma

My friend got a bunch of money on a gift certificate to GC so he went there to get a new snare and they said that his card hasn't been authorized. They wanted us to buy a new gift card and then spend it and we were like, "dude thats a fraud and were gonna call the cops." and then finally they gave us what we wanted...
Dizma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #72
David_Bowie=GOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by papersun87
This is not necessarily bad advice.

Ive played a guitar with EMGs in it before though, the pickups didn't really seem to fit me. Theyre great for some of the heavier stuff I play like AiC and Soundgarden, but they still don't fit a good amount of what I play.
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
David_Bowie=GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #73
Jak-666

me: im looking for a GOOD guitar
GCE: ok, try this B.C Rich
me: goodbye
Jak-666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #74
Dragonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmark

The main reason not to shop at Guitar Center/Musician's Friend/Music123 is that they have killed off most of their competition. We need other places around in order to keep prices down and promote good customer service.

Completely true. I can tell you this much, I'm never going to guitar center again, the one by me is full of jackass's and a bunch of kids that don't know anything. Not saying that I'm full of knowledge myself, but you know what I mean.

Anyways so I finally returned Spider, I can tell the guy was pissed off I was returning it too cause It was the same guy that sold it to me. I told him that after two weeks of having it I had buyers remorse and I wasn't diggin it. I could just see in his face that he was mad, I probably screwed with his sales goals for the day. Jackass. I used to work in retail so I understand his pain, but **** man that things a piece of crap.

I need to find a local shop, the only music shops I know of around me are GuitarCenter and SamAsh. I think I'll be going to sam ash from now on.

On a kind of side note, the GC near me also sucks because although there are bunch of people workin, there is NEVER anyone around to help you out right away. I mean **** man its not THAT big of a place. No lie the last 3 times I was in there took me at least 20 mins of standing at the counter to get someone to help me, everyone just dissapeared or walked by me like i wasn't there. Learn some ****ing customer service for christ sakes

There is only one guy I know that works at that place who is cool, but only because I happen to have known him my whole life. Everyone else there is a jackass.

They just lost a customer.
Dragonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #75
lbj273
UG God

The guys at the GC I go to know I know my stuff now (thanks to UG) and don't try to sell me stupid stuff anymore
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}

lbj273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #76
Unskathed

Rep, "What ya need?"
Me, "Oh, I have like 300 to spend on accessories and pedals or whatever."
Rep, "What kind of amp are you playing out of?"
Me, "An Engl Fireball."
Rep, "Never heard of it. I could get you an awesome amp for 300. Ever hear of Line 6?"

Same day, different guy:

I walk into the high-end amp loud room.
Rep, "Hey man, what you play through?"
Me, "An Engl Fireball."
Rep, "Do you play like death metal stuff?"
Me, "Yeah."
Rep, "Wow, I can't believe you didn't get a Dual Rectifier. That's the only good amp out there for death metal."
Me, "What about this VHT Deliverance?"
Rep, "That amp doesn't do high gain."

Unskathed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #77
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Scharosc

Here is the worst part, telling someone something like that can actually be detrimental to their equipment. I even asked him if they have returns for defective tubes (which is certainly not out of the question seeing that GC doesn't burn them in or test them or anything), and they do not, which makes me feel terrible for the kid who goes into that store and buys $100 worth of tubes and have them red plate on him within 5 minutes.

Even still, I told him what amp I had and he was like "yeah, those old Marshalls didn't have features like biasing, it's only something you see on modern amps."
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #78
splamron
UG's Walter White

When I was looking for a guitar in the $500AUD range:
"Man, your too good for that, you should be looking at this" *gives me an rr5*
me: "Umm, its really awesome, but it's wayy to expensive"
guy: "on dw dude, just get a paper run and soon enough you'll have enough money for that and a decent amp, like this *Shows me a spider*

I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
splamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #79
gregs1020
Hi mom!

I honestly can't stand going on there anymore. I've heard more fail in 30 minutes than I can relay. SamAsh is better by me - but that probably varies by location.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #80
Bostonrocks
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by al112987
Here is the worst part, telling someone something like that can actually be detrimental to their equipment. I even asked him if they have returns for defective tubes (which is certainly not out of the question seeing that GC doesn't burn them in or test them or anything), and they do not, which makes me feel terrible for the kid who goes into that store and buys $100 worth of tubes and have them red plate on him within 5 minutes.

Even still, I told him what amp I had and he was like "yeah, those old Marshalls didn't have features like biasing, it's only something you see on modern amps."

wow.....
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: