Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

The Monthly Metal Feature - May

Good afternoon/morning/hammertime to all you folks out there. As will be with every month from here in, I present to you...

Welcome to the Mayday edition, Where we will get our 3 usual spots of Metallic enlightenment and a brand new feature to boot! Aren't you just lucky little devils eh.

Anyway, business stuff out of the way, i'm going to put up the slots for the next 2 month's features. Make your interest known to me via PM with your submission idea, and if your contribution is satisfactory, you will get the desired spot.

June.
BotM - Dyer's Eve
AotM (New!) - webbtje
Lost Relic - tba
Essential Guide - Blizk

July
BotM - tba
AotM - Phill-Rock
Lost Relic - tba
Essential Guide - Kepulix

Now onto the the whole part you read and stuff. Thanks to this month's Contributors \Powerslave/, Psychopathology and dead-fish. Hope you all enjoy.

Past Editions
The First Monthly Feature
The April Monthly Feature
Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Band of the Month - Heathendom

Brought to you by \Powerslave/

The current state of the power metal scene is nothing but a mere shadow of its former self. Genuinely good releases have become too few and too far in-between. The Greek band, Heathendom, is a breath of fresh air in this chocking genre of music. Their debut (and only) release, Nescience, is the best album to hit the scene in the last few years.

I was incredibly skeptical before listening to the band. They claim to be “Power Doom”. I expected a bastardized Candlemass or Manowar. While there is the occasional nod to epic doom bands like Solitude Aeternus, what we have here is something completely unique. The average tempo of the album is faster than most doom metal releases, but slower than most power metal, a perfect middle ground for the genres they claim to combine. If you take each of the individual attributes brought forth by this band

The atmosphere of the album is one of the strangest I’ve ever heard. Imagine being trapped within a chapel with a deranged priest. A strange comparison but, power metal melodies and vocals are layered over thundering doom riff, helping to create the strange atmosphere of the album. The most unique aspect of the band is the superb vocalist. Imagine the epic baritone of vocalists like Messiah Marcolin mixed with the falsetto of vocalists like King Diamond. Layering of the vocals (not quite like Hansi) is utilized to exaggerate certain vocal lines. Keyboards are sprinkled very tastefully on tracks, contributing greatly to the overall feel and depth of the music.

Heathendom is one of the best bands to debut in 2008 (despite forming in 1998). Fans of bands like Mercyful Fate and Solitude Aeturnus are sure to enjoy Heathendom. Nescience is recommended to the highest possible degree, absolutely essential listening. Keep your eyes out for this band; many excellent releases are sure to come!

Metal-Archives page

MySpace page

Official Website
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Lost Relic: Immortal Fate - Beautiful

Brought to you by Psychopathology

Immortal Fate were an American death metal outfit formed in Redwood City, at the very end of the 1980s. In their short four year lifespan they released a couple of demos, an EP, and a single LP. Their lone full-length was released posthumously, 7 years after it’s recording in 1993.

The word beautiful is really the opposite of what’s found here. This is dissonant, unpleasant, and extremely ugly. There are frequent switches from fast, almost indecipherable grinding riffs to sludge infused doom to pure drone. These phases transition excellently, which contributes to the very atmospheric quality of the band. The atmosphere present in this album is not that of wannabe gothic acts using flashy keyboards, it’s of pure surrealistic oddity. If David Lynch played death metal, it would sound exactly like this.

The band could be described as a spastic, less coherent Disembowelment with strong hints of Autopsy. The Autopsy link goes deeper than similar sound in fact; as Chris Reifert provided backing vocals for the Faceless Burial EP and Shitfun features drummer Freeway Migliore on bass.

Though not for everyone, Beautiful is a unique album that deserves a listen and is worth the time to check out.

Metal-Archives

Online tracks
Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

The Essential Guide to... Wino

Brought to you by dead-fish

"Wino?", I hear you ask, "Who is this 'Wino'?"

Well, you bunch of ignorant baboons who actually asked themselves that question, Scott 'Wino' Weinrich is one of the few living legends of the metal genre, one of the primary architects of doom metal, a man responsible for a number of classic stoner/doom albums, and a very fuzzy man.

Adorable, innit?

Wino, born in 1961, started his musical endeavors with The Obsessed in 1977. They didn't record much in those early years, but it did help him set his foot in one of the most important bands of the doom metal genre, Saint Vitus, with whom he recorded 3 studio albums (Born Too Late in '87, Mournful Cries in '88, V in '89), a live album (Live in '90), and an EP (Thirsty And Miserable in '87).

In 1990, Wino left Saint Vitus and revived his first band, The Obsessed, which proceeded to release 3 albums, including Lunar Womb, which featured a first appearance by bassist Scott Reeder, who would go on to play with stoner legends Kyuss. The Obsessed's music was a marking point of what is now Wino's signature style of stoner/doom.

The Obsessed disbanded in 1995, and Wino, ever the workaholic, joined Spirit Caravan after persuasion from the band's side. The band's music was in a much more psychedallic vain than Wino's previous works. Spirit Caravan was one of Wino's longest projects, lasting a full 6 years, yet managed to produce only 2 albums, Elusive Truth, and stoner metal staple Jug Fulla Sun, before breaking up in 2002.

Once again, Wino couldn't sit his notoriously fuzzy ass down, and formed The Hidden Hand, also in 2002. Arguably his most stable outfit to date, the band worked and released albums and EP's as well as tour much more consistently during their (once again) short time together (disbanded in 2007). This time, it seems the music was a mixture of both Wino's psychedallic and doomy sides, but closer to the classic Obsessed sound more than anything.

During his time in The Hidden Hand, Wino also lent his bourbon-smitten vocals and guitar skills to ex-Pentagram guitarist Victor Griffin's project, Place Of Skulls. He appears on the album With Vision, released in 2003.

Currently, fuzzy ol' Wino is working with Dale Crover (Melvins), Scott Kelly (Mastodon, guest in Neurosis), and Al Cisneros (Sleep, Om) in a band called Shrinebuilder, with material due out later this year.

Now, some of you may not understand why I picked a relatively low-profile person for this guide.

I picked him exactly because of that: He is relatively low-profile. This is a man who has been constantly active in the metal scene longer than 99% of everyone else, producing album after album of top notch doom and stoner, most of them very much relevant to our time. The metal genre doesn't have many people who can be called legends with an honest face, let alone in their own right, and he is one of those few.

Now, for the albums:

Cream of the Crop - The Obsessed - Lunar Womb

A pioneering stoner/doom album. As mentioned, features the great Scott Reeder on bass, and Wino's guitar is probably at its best on this album. Not much heavy-as-fvck moments like in Saint Vitus, but trust Wino to make even the simplest riffs flare and burn, such as the chorus riff of Bardo. The drums are typical stoner metal drums, being very beat and groove oriented yet shoving fills and rolls in every nook and cranny possible, but who cares about that! God damn it, the guitar on this album is just plain furios! As one review in MA states, it sometimes sounds like Wino recorded the solo's while riding on his Harley. In a world currently populated by a million guitarists who just want to shred and sweep and dive bomb and tap, this album is practically a how-to class of metal soloing..

Almost as Good - The Hidden Hand - Mother Teacher Destroyer

As mentioned, this is perhaps Wino's most balanced outing. Sharing vocal duties this time with fellow bandmember, bassist Bruce Falkinburg, the album features both Saint Vitus' slow, heavy, lumbering numbers, as well as Spirit Caravan's more trippy antiques. Admited by Wino, the band is much more political in its lyrics, and the music itself also feels a bit more 'controlled'. They are still all played with the passion and flare that Wino has become known for, obviously.

Now Get - Spirit Caravan - Jug Fulla Sun

As far as stoner metal goes, this is somewhere between Orange Goblin and Goatsnake. A lot of guitar work, quite a bit interesting experiments. It's not as overbearing as some stoner albums, but it has its fair share of volume. Not much to say about it, its just great!

Hit or Miss - Saint Vitus - Born Too Late

Don't let the cover fool you, this is not a Rob Halford album!

Some people will be mad at me for putting this album in this position, and I would like to explain that I think that this is a great album, which seems very hard to get into when stood up against other Wino releases. The production is... Interesting, to say the least, especially the lead guitar, and the songs are much slower than the above albums, and I can very easily see how some people who are not used to this sound can be turned off by it (example: me on the first listen).

Avoid - Saint Vitus - V

It's not bad, but it's different.

While Born Too Late is very different from the bulk of Wino's work, this sounds like a transition album between that period and future works. The result is actually more accessible than Born Too Late, but not as interesting, despite obvious efforts to make the album something more than a regular metal album (female quasi-operatic vocals on When Emotion Dies, and the bizarre feedback/pickscrape midsection in Jack Frost).

The album isn't a bad listen, it's just not as good, and I would say you should get to it near the end.

Spazz

Saint Vitus - http://www.myspace.com/stvitus

The Obsessed - http://www.myspace.com/theobsesseddoom

Spirit Caravan - http://www.myspace.com/spiritcaravanmusic

The Hidden Hand - http://www.myspace.com/thehiddenhandsound

Place Of Skulls - http://www.myspace.com/placeofskullsdoom

Note that some, if not all of those are fan pages. Think I should mention that...

Enjoy Fuzzy Scott and all of his endeavors.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

And now for something completely different...

Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Just ignore my incomplete thought in my second paragraph and the various grammatical errors in my article >.>
Old 05-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
webbtje
Banned

Location: In a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire, in Camden/Paris/the Isle of sodding Man.
Dyer's, you are an evil genius.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
CG Man16
hey

Is that supposed to be jari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #9
Blizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Man16
Is that supposed to be jari?

I immediately got the joke when I recognised that album cover in the background...
Old 05-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
CG Man16
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizk
I immediately got the joke when I recognised that album cover in the background...

Every time i look at it, i laugh, which is then followed by an intense burst of sadness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
TheMantipede
The Chains Are On...

Scott Kelly's bands are backwards.

>.>

I'm gonna get on some of this stuff though, Heathendom is sounding amazing so far, I haven't heard much of Wino's stuff outside of Obsessed/Vitus, and I have never heard of Immortal Fate.

Props to all involved in the "feature," and also, I lol'd at the comic, not because of the Wintersun joke, but because it was a blue screen in this time period.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Stranglehold

Whoa, Born Too Late is hit or miss? Jaysus......although I do rate Mournful Cries over it, its still a stellar album. Great list though, from everyone. This feature is deadly.

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #13
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

I've heard Heathendom ages ago, but I can't remember anything about them, good time to check them out again

Immortal Fate I've never even heard of, but they sound cool

as for Wino... I think he has worse albums to "Avoid" instead of V, but overall it was well written
I personally would have put Born Too Late as his best album though

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

What's AoTM?
Old 05-02-2009, 05:21 AM   #15
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

Album of the Month, most likely

Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #16
webbtje
Banned

Location: In a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire, in Camden/Paris/the Isle of sodding Man.
Indeed.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #17
Cianyx
dip i dip u dip dip i dip

Right, I was thinking Artist
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #18
Kepulix
The Witchfinder

I'd be interested in doing July's Essential Guide by the way

Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #19
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

Born Too Late is nothing less than amazing, almost as good as Lunar Womb.

Immortal Fate is sounding great. Nice find.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #20
dead-fish
Professor Miseria Supremu

As said, I put it there because it's much more different than the bulk of his work, same goes for V.

Also, Mantipede, yes, that was the joke.

Rate This Thread: