Search:

Old 05-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #21
MarauderNL
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by _-Joey-_
I sometimes switch between the two!

Yeah, same.
Especially when I need some more grip I go for #2.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #22
Rio38
Slowly Getting There

It really depends on what is comfortable to you. The great thing about the guitar is that there is no set right and wrong way to do things in many situations.

If the way you hold the neck feels comfortable and you are able to play well that way, then it is right for you. I hold the neck like you do for much of the time, but it depends on what I am trying to play and whether I am sitting or standing.

As long as your thumb does not hurt or is not strained from holding it that way, go for it.
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212

Last edited by Rio38 : 05-04-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Rio38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
Shuin_Zwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio38
It really depends on what is comfortable to you. The great thing about the guitar is that there is no set right and wrong way to do things in many situations.

If the way you hold the neck feels comfortable and you are able to play well that way, then it is right for you. I hold the neck like you do for much of the time, but it depends on what I am trying to play and whether I am sitting or standing.

As long as your thumb does nto hurt or is not strained from holding it that way, go for it.

this is what i'm waiting for... I feel wrong whenever I practice and slightly create my own style whenever any chords is complicated with my hands... thanks dude for enlighten us
Shuin_Zwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
KidCanary

I'd suggest slightly altering your thumb position, dNWaKE. Looks like you're really jamming it on the neck, and putting a lot of pressure on the knuckle.

Someone with more medical knowledge may correct me on this, but I don't think that would be good for the thumb, and you may run into problems later on.

Just try flattening it a little so there's more of the pad pushing against the neck rather than just the tip.
KidCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #25
Yess
TURN-THAT-THING-DOWN!

It doesn't really matter how you hold it, actually. Just try to find the most confortable way that fits your style
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #26
Zakk_Lp

If its comfortable to you and doesn't strain you at all its right.
I mean i hold it both of those ways depending on where i am on the neck and what type of thing im playing its not really a concious decision its just something i naturally do.
Zakk_Lp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
Julian2103

I have long fingers bt I hold the neck the same way as you do but I find the grip varies for different chords.
Roland Microcube
Laney HCM15 Hardcore Max
Takamine G Series EG341SC
Julian2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #28
Axe Murderer

Ouch! Your way looks painful and forced!!!

I smell carpal tunnel not too far off.... (just kidding)

I started like that too, cause, "your thumb should be at the back of the neck dead center". "Your fingers should be curved just so and on the very tips".

LOL

Just keep playing.

Eventually your hand will relax into a comfortable functional position thats right for you.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #29
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

To be honest, your hand should be somewhat like the second, but far more relaxed and with the wrist straight. Take a look at my posture vid and the stickies.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #30
Casualist

Mostly it's a bad thing to be gripping the neck with your palm,

but it severely depends on WHERE your hand is located on the neck, and which strings you are playing.

Where to hold the neck will come naturally as you practice and find the easiest/best way to position your hand for each position on the neck
Casualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #31
dNWaKE

When I play the guitar with my way (especially standing up), my wrist feels strained. What should I do? I feel that if i switch to the "rocker" style, i would have to relearn how to play alot of things using that style. playing the "classical" style just comes natural to me but my wrist feels strained
dNWaKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #32
Ikonoklast
Banned

Both are good depending on the situation. It's almost impossible to do big stretches with your hand in the 'blues' position (thumb over), but bending strings properly will be tougher with your thumb at the back of the neck.
Ikonoklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #33
dNWaKE

Here's a video i made (sorry for the bad playing) to show you guys my technique. how can i improve the way i hold the neck? is it wrong? sometimes my wrist feels strained.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #34
tenfold
Ibanez Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dNWaKE
Here's a video i made (sorry for the bad playing) to show you guys my technique. how can i improve the way i hold the neck? is it wrong? sometimes my wrist feels strained.

Your wrist is bent an awful lot. Try sticking the guitar on your left leg, putting your left leg up more, lifting that guitar up more in the air, and getting your wrist straighter.
Put your thumb behind the neck when you vibrato or bend, that will hurt your wrist a lot, it's probably why you feel strained.
Don't bend the thin strings down either, it's a little harder at first but once mastered, it's easier to put the thumb behind the neck and bend it up.
Use your pinky too! The pinky can some in super handy and if trained correctly, can take a lot of tension off your fretting hand in some licks.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still ******ed.
tenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #35
dNWaKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfold
Your wrist is bent an awful lot. Try sticking the guitar on your left leg, putting your left leg up more, lifting that guitar up more in the air, and getting your wrist straighter.
Put your thumb behind the neck when you vibrato or bend, that will hurt your wrist a lot, it's probably why you feel strained.
Don't bend the thin strings down either, it's a little harder at first but once mastered, it's easier to put the thumb behind the neck and bend it up.
Use your pinky too! The pinky can some in super handy and if trained correctly, can take a lot of tension off your fretting hand in some licks.

Shouldn't I practice with the guitar not so high up like that so it would be easier for me to play when I stand up?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #36
tenfold
Ibanez Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dNWaKE
Shouldn't I practice with the guitar not so high up like that so it would be easier for me to play when I stand up?

Yeah but you can always angle it up a bit up when you stand up too.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still ******ed.
tenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #37
dNWaKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfold
Yeah but you can always angle it up a bit up when you stand up too.

You mean by raising the strap?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #38
Into The Unknow
UG's Psychologist

Too me its looks like your holding it the correct way (as i do the same), as for the standing up part, i usually only play standing up albeit with my legs spread very wide ("big ass power stance" as the drummer put it) and tilt the guitar up a bit And when I'm at the higher end of the fretboard i have my thumb over the top of the neck.

On another note, liking the ibanez (just guessing from the fretboard as i have the same guitar)

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data

Last edited by Into The Unknow : 05-07-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Into The Unknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #39
dNWaKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into The Unknow
Too me its looks like your holding it the correct way (as i do the same), as for the standing up part, i usually only play standing up albeit with my legs spread very wide ("big ass power stance" as the drummer put it) and tilt the guitar up a bit And when I'm at the higher end of the fretboard i have my thumb over the top of the neck.

On another note, liking the ibanez (just guessing from the fretboard as i have the same guitar)

Haha thanks, I recently upgraded from a crappy cheap guitar to this Ibanez RG4. Its a world of a difference.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #40
From_The_Ashes

I'm not that talented. I can't play with my thumb wrapped around the neck to save my life.
From_The_Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: