Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #41
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0
In the case of the Aussie it might be cheaper to just build your own cab. Surely trees grow in Australia so you should be able to get wood locally without paying the A(ustralia)-typical arm-and-a-leg prices. Then you're just a nice V30 away from having a good sounding cab.

The 12BH7 isn't interchangeable with any of the popular types of tubes. As far as I know there are options for different types of tube but the biggest gains are to be had from getting a 12BH7 from a different manufacturer. Any tube change is going to mess with the amp a little, but since the ISF just alters the parameters of the EQ all the changes should be relative.

Why cant you replace the tubes with 6L6s, EL34 and the like. How is the amp naturally voiced, assuming ISF is set in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
TOMMYB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #42
ch0
EMG hater

6L6's and EL34's aren't typically interchangeable with one another as they use different sockets. You (normally) either have to modify the amp to accept different tubes or buy an amp (like the Peavey JSX iirc) that has provisions for both. As far as modifying the HT-5 to accept one of these tubes I'm sure it could be done, but you'd probably have to modify just about everything else in the amp to make it work.

As far as the "natural voicing" of the amp with the ISF set in the middle... well. If one end of the dial is all UK and woolly and the other end is all American bite then the middle is, well, in the middle.
ch0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:43 AM   #43
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0
6L6's and EL34's aren't typically interchangeable with one another as they use different sockets. You (normally) either have to modify the amp to accept different tubes or buy an amp (like the Peavey JSX iirc) that has provisions for both. As far as modifying the HT-5 to accept one of these tubes I'm sure it could be done, but you'd probably have to modify just about everything else in the amp to make it work.

As far as the "natural voicing" of the amp with the ISF set in the middle... well. If one end of the dial is all UK and woolly and the other end is all American bite then the middle is, well, in the middle.

Thanks, about what you said with the OD pedals, are you sure it would be like that for all OD pedals. Im a total gain junkie and i was intending to buy a nice OD pedal to use with the amp. Its just that maybe it was the particular pedals you were using because the Bad Monkey pretty much a budget OD and although i havent heard it, EHX isnt known for amazing gear so im sure that with a really nice pedal like a Keeley Mod, MXR or Fulltone OCD it should sound awesome no?

Im really curious so if you have or will test it with other/better ODs report back. Ive been saving for over a year so i want to know everything before i buy as this would probably be my amp for a long, long time before i can upgrade again.

Quote:
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #44
ch0
EMG hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMYB22
Thanks, about what you said with the OD pedals, are you sure it would be like that for all OD pedals.
Doubtful, I'm sure there are good sounds to be had from slightly higher end OD pedals. Also, to defend the Bad Monkey a little, with the gain on 0 it gave me some really sweet Led Zeppelin light-crunch sounds that I can't really replicated on the HT-5 without cranking the clean channel. My main problem was what happened when I started to turn the gain up on the two pedals (the Green Screamer and the Bad Monkey) - the tone went all shrill and thin as opposed to the almost Mesa sound I get from the HT-5 on the US side of the ISF.

Quote:
Im a total gain junkie and i was intending to buy a nice OD pedal to use with the amp. Its just that maybe it was the particular pedals you were using because the Bad Monkey pretty much a budget OD and although i havent heard it, EHX isnt known for amazing gear so im sure that with a really nice pedal like a Keeley Mod, MXR or Fulltone OCD it should sound awesome no?
I'm sure some of my issues with the Bad Monkey stem from the fact that it's a Digitech product. No doubt, sorry to repeat myself, a better OD pedal would yield better results. I'm not sure if those "better" results would trump using what Blackstar gave the HT-5, but still better. As for getting more gain out of the amp, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong with mine, but with the gain on the amp set to 3 o' clock (or so) I can't really get anything more out of it with pedals except more feedback. The tone just gets super muddy.

Quote:
Im really curious so if you have or will test it with other/better ODs report back. Ive been saving for over a year so i want to know everything before i buy as this would probably be my amp for a long, long time before i can upgrade again.
Chances are if I drop some more money on pedals in the near future they won't be OD/distortion pedals.

I know this is the HT-5 owner's thread, so we're all going to be pretty partial to the amp that we purchased, but: I've owned some of the other less expensive tube offerings available. A Peavey Valveking 112 and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe namely. Both were more expensive and neither came anywhere near as close to sounding as good as the HT-5. As long as you understand that the guys at Blackstar were being serious when they choose to market the HT-5 as a bedroom practice and studio recording amp, you'll be fine. This amp isn't powerful enough to play gigs, but then, that's how it was designed. It is easily loud enough to cause some hearing damage though.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #45
demitriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7apex
1. It's can be as quiet as you want, but the distortion is better when it's quiet if your driving the an OD through it.
2. It has a gain knob as well as a complete second channel for it!

Ok thanks, but is the distortion on it not good enough? Why do you need an overdrive pedal?

Also which is best, the half stack or the combo?
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
demitriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #46
philwhite

I got my HT5 last week. Couldn't be happier. Love the sound.
philwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #47
k7apex
Appalachian State

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriv
Ok thanks, but is the distortion on it not good enough? Why do you need an overdrive pedal?

Also which is best, the half stack or the combo?

I am just in personal favor of OD pedals because i use a few of them for different tones and it allows me to be further away from the amp because the footswitch only has about a 5ft reach. The built in distortion on the amp is quite good, but it won't reach really deep metal, it'll get close but it need that little extra boost. The distortion channel is really nice on it though, it's the same circuit (or close) to the one that is used on the pedal.

I use the half stack (i got a deal on it as a whole stack) and i love the thing. The only reason i recommend the half stack mainly though is because you can choose to get different cabinets later on. I'm going to probably swap out for a 2x12 or 4x12 somewhat soon to try and get a fuller sound. The stock cabinets are pretty good though.
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
k7apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #48
demitriv

Yea ok, thank you very much you have been very helpful.
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
demitriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #49
mini_groning
von Tratt

Im quite intrested in the full stack version for some time now but i havent played it yet but i have two questions about it.
The first one is can it do bandpractise well?
The second is how well can it do metal? I mostly play KoRn and Slipknot but alot of others too.
mini_groning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #50
jaybals
guitarchitect

im thinking about getting one of the combos for uni, but ill need to try it out first

just wanted to know what are the dimension for the combo? and how does it's size compare to an orange tiny terror or fender champ?

Dr. Octafuzz
Fulltone Wah
Ibanez TS7
Carl Martin Chorus
Malekko 616
HoF Reverb

http://www.facebook.com/SpecialBruise
https://soundcloud.com/special-bruise
jaybals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #51
ch0
EMG hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_groning
Im quite intrested in the full stack version for some time now but i havent played it yet but i have two questions about it.
The first one is can it do bandpractise well?
No, not really. It's a bedroom practice amp which wasn't designed with getting over other instruments in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_groning
The second is how well can it do metal? I mostly play KoRn and Slipknot but alot of others too.
You'll probably want a distortion pedal. The HT-5 can only make it up into early Metallica sounds with the gain it's got on board.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #52
mcrfobtai
Hates mcr, fob and tai

Awsome amps, but no where near the best small ones on the market. In it's range though, unbeatable

Buy my Classic 30!
mcrfobtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #53
k7apex
Appalachian State

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrfobtai
Awsome amps, but no where near the best small ones on the market. In it's range though, unbeatable

What amp have you found that's better than the HT-5 at a similar price? As far as i know, the HT-5 is the best value out there.
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote:

Donate to my cause
Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #54
ch0
EMG hater

Quote:
What amp have you found that's better than the HT-5 at a similar price? As far as i know, the HT-5 is the best value out there.
I get comments like that a lot from people who spent $300ish on something they're not really all that happy with.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #55
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie

Quote:

Hey k7apex, can you tell me how well your OD's go with the Blackstar, can you disagree with what ch0 said earlier because i like a lot of gain and i was considering getting one with an OD pedal to boost it which i assumed would have worked out fine but now im unsure.

Also how does it sound with the Schecter, i also have the C-1 Classic and im interested in knowing how well they come together.

Thanks

Quote:
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 AM   #56
k7apex
Appalachian State

Quote:
Hey k7apex, can you tell me how well your OD's go with the Blackstar, can you disagree with what ch0 said earlier because i like a lot of gain and i was considering getting one with an OD pedal to boost it which i assumed would have worked out fine but now im unsure.

Also how does it sound with the Schecter, i also have the C-1 Classic and im interested in knowing how well they come together.

Thanks

I recently got the schecter and i love the sound of it, both on clean and when overdriven.

I am not one that usually uses the distortion channel, but thats just because of my own preference. It accepts my OD pedals really well and the sound i get from it is what i'm looking for. Depending on what type of music you play will determine which pedal to get. If you play stuff like hendrix and muse, go with the electro-harmonix big muff. If you play metal-core or high gain stuff like A7X, look into the Ibanez ts9 tubescreamer. Other than that, just play around for the tone that you are looking for.
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote:

Donate to my cause
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #57
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie

i know this may sound a little pushy but next time you can, could you try seeing how much gain you can get on the Distortion channel with your OD. Its just that i really dont get money often so if i buy this amp and its not right for me then or cant do what i need then it will be a LONG time before i would be able to upgrade again, not to mention that i just want to get some nice gear already so i can focus what money i have on other things.

If you can help me i would really, really appreciate it

Quote:
Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #58
k7apex
Appalachian State

Quote:
i know this may sound a little pushy but next time you can, could you try seeing how much gain you can get on the Distortion channel with your OD. Its just that i really dont get money often so if i buy this amp and its not right for me then or cant do what i need then it will be a LONG time before i would be able to upgrade again, not to mention that i just want to get some nice gear already so i can focus what money i have on other things.

If you can help me i would really, really appreciate it

How much gain are you looking for? What type of genre do you plan on practicing on this amp?
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote:

Donate to my cause
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #59
TOMMYB22
UG Newbie

Quote:
How much gain are you looking for? What type of genre do you plan on practicing on this amp?

I hate to use this analogy but as crap as it is, the insane channel on my spider has a ****load of gain and that would be pretty good if the spider wernt so ****. but the main goal would be metalcore/death metal or slipknot amounts of gain, not that i play slipknot i just want alot of gain.

To be fair i was considering getting the MXR Zakk Wylde sig OD which would probably have alot more gain than you tube screamer but i just want to know if it takes OD pedals well (as a boost).

Quote:
Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #60
k7apex
Appalachian State

I know what sound your looking for, i used to own a spider too. It accepts my pedals very well, all of them. It doesn't make any strange sounds and it gets a nice full tone and distortion when using the OD's. I would consider just going into a store, finding a HT-5, and ask to try ODs into it. I can't really give completly true advice on some OD pedals that i haven't tried out yet, so it hard for me to help you out. I have been able to play before i forget using my ts9, but i don't know if that ahs enough gain for your taste. I play mostly a7x, bfmv, and three days grace using the ts9.
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote:

Donate to my cause

Rate This Thread: