Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Zao_89
BEADF#b

The Water Album [GP4/5, Midi]

IT'S DONE! Sorry I can't say much now, it's almost 2 AM here and I need some sleep, but IT'S DONE!!!! (Just a side note, some of these I've posted here before, some with different names. I marked the ones I already posted with a *)

Heres the track layout:

Humber River - Named after one of the major rivers in Toronto, just an nod to our hometown

Lakes
i Lake Simcoe - This song was either gonna be Lake Ontario, or Lake Simcoe, but after I found out I'm moving (to a place closer to Lake Simcoe) I decided to name it after that.
ii Lake Valencia - Lake in Venezuela. My Dad grew up in Venezuela. Simple as that.
iii Lake Chad - Lake Chad is known for being pretty deteriorated, and the song kinda reflects that, it loses the other instruments and just becomes simple.

Yangtze River

Seas
i Caspian Sea* - Known for being the largest enclosed body of water, and I thought the song was kinda closed in, and compressed (not sure how to explain my reasoning).
ii Red Sea - Known for being parted in the Bible. The song also parts in the middle, when it changes to the distortion part.
iii Mediterranean Sea*
- A lot of species from the Red sea came into the Mediterranean Sea, and I took that as a reference to the huge influence I had for the song (from Mouth Of The Architect).

Amazon River*

Oceans - 3 biggest oceans. Got it? Good
i Indian Ocea
ii Atlantic Ocean*
iii Pacific Ocean (Nothing Gold)*

Nile River

A World Under Flood* - I actually came up with this idea (and the album as a whole) after listening to Scale The Summit's Sargasso Sea, and though, what if I made a whole album of water references. This was the first image that came to mind, our world under flood.

14 Tracks in all. Enjoy

Edit: Changed the midi folder. A couple of files weren't working.

Edit2: The vocal track is mysteriously absent from the Lake Chad midi file...

Superedit: I added some brief song explanations for now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GP4.zip (22.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: zip GP5.zip (29.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: zip Midi.zip (43.5 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Zao_89 : 05-21-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Zao_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
bakshandloomis
Ug's Metalcore fanboy

I just listened to the whole thing, and I thought it was amazing. Very innovative and very melodic. There wasn't too many negative comments I had, but with 14 songs there is bound to be a few, haha.

-You seemed to use a lot of the same techniques over and over again (mostly the tapping), and while it sounds good each time, it got a bit old after hearing it so much.

-On some songs, you would get a bit repetitive; maybe with vocals it wouldn't be a problem, but I was imagining these as instrumentals. The songs I'm talking about would be Mediterranean Sea, Lake Chad, and Indian Ocean (although this track is probably my favorite).

You would think after 14 songs I would have a bit more to say, but you really did well with these.
Do you plan to record these soon?

And...... C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1126114
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

bakshandloomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
Zao_89
BEADF#b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakshandloomis
Do you plan to record these soon?

I think I want this to be our second album if we ever get signed. I see it like this, do you think Between The Buried and Me would get all the hype they have now if Colors was their first album?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned

There's a lot of tapping 1-5-9 voicings. While it's cool, it gets to be samey when it's done in most of the songs. There were moments of this that were absolutely incredible though. I loved Indian Ocean. If I was a dishonest person, I'd plagiarize it.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
DaddyTwoFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

It got way too samey. It has so much of the 1-5-9 'tapping' [I've never used tapping on those, usually just a stretch or string skip, but w/e], that all of the songs start to blend.

As a result, even though it is supposed to be conceptual, the songs didnt have their own identity [save a few]. With all of the differing regions referenced by the titles, I figured maybe they'd all showcase some of the musical flair there, like some arabic flavor in Red Sea or Mediterranean in that one, something to make them stand out, and not just seem like more of the same. [The one that caught me was Yangtze, which actually had the Asian sound that I was looking for]

There were parts in a lot of the songs that I found cool, or liked a lot, but some were repeated into oblivion. Indian Ocean could probably have more than half of itself cut, cause its all the same stuff [but most of it is good]. The whole beginning of Lake Chad bored me, but the end was just ethereal. It was beautiful, really, and I thought, what if the rest was like this? Atlantic Ocean had this problem too. Some of the time, it wasnt that it was boring per se, rather, it was too slow. Nothing would go on, or nothing would change [DRUMS! DRUMS are key here!], or whatever.

The Metalcore ruined it. The chugging is boring, and doesnt take much to come up with.

Highlights: Bits and pieces of too much, which could probably all be thrown into a couple songs, and Yangtze, cause it stood out. The album flowed pretty well. I've heard better flowing stuff, and I've also heard a whole lot worse, so good job there.

Not bad, but it could be a whole lot better. Whole lot.

[In advance: sorry if I seem harsh, I enjoy many concept albums. MANY.]
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
cullanrocks
Moonshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zao_89
I think I want this to be our second album if we ever get signed. I see it like this, do you think Between The Buried and Me would get all the hype they have now if Colors was their first album?

screw that dude. release this as your first album. then make an even better album. trust me. my band tried to do what you did. we ended up breaking up before we could release our best songs. its one of my biggest regrets, because we could have put those songs on our EP but we didnt.

as for the songs they are really good. sounds thrice influenced to me. ive only gotten to number 4 so far. 1 was kind of a generic intro. 2 was kind of generic. reminded me of a7x riffs. lake valencia was pure genius. the best so far. lake chad is rather boring until the outro.

ill crit (real crits, sorry about these lame ones) the rest when i have time.

in the meantime i have to study for a test. would you mind listening to one of the songs in my sig?

newest songs:
Dreamy Trip Song

Bluesy Rockish? Song

5/4 Ballad
cullanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
Zao_89
BEADF#b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cullanrocks
screw that dude. release this as your first album. then make an even better album. trust me. my band tried to do what you did. we ended up breaking up before we could release our best songs. its one of my biggest regrets, because we could have put those songs on our EP but we didnt.

Honestly, the other songs we have done would be better fit for a debut than this one. Releasing them after would be a dissapointment. If the band thing doesn't work out, I could probably record everything myself (if I get the equipment). Another reason for it being a second album is that I really want Justin Broderick (of Jesu) to do guest vocals for Pacific Ocean.

As for the Thrice comment, I told the bassist of the band to download their Water Alchemy Index album. He started a couple of songs, and once I have about 5 or so, I'll post a b-sides album of sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning_Angel
As a result, even though it is supposed to be conceptual, the songs didnt have their own identity [save a few]. With all of the differing regions referenced by the titles, I figured maybe they'd all showcase some of the musical flair there, like some arabic flavor in Red Sea or Mediterranean in that one, something to make them stand out, and not just seem like more of the same. [The one that caught me was Yangtze, which actually had the Asian sound that I was looking for]

Some of the songs actually have more in common with the description of the bodies of water than their placement. It seems kinda weird when I try to explain the meanings I came up with, but I know what I'm talking about. I guess I'll update the first post with some explanations behind the songs, but again, it's late here, and I gotta get some sleep.

Just another thing I thought I should mention, our drummer hasn't even had input on (or listened to most of) these songs. So some of the stuff will be different.

A note about the 1-5-9 thing (and by 1-5-9, I assume you're talking about the 024 chords), I think it sounds better tapped than strummed, which is exactly why I have the akward to play tapping part in Lake Valencia. Strummed, it wouldn't sound the same. Some of the songs are meant to be similar though, more specifically the 3 Ocean songs. I don't know if you caught the rhythm that I used in all 3 songs, but it's intentional.

Edit: And oh, about the chugging. I could have come up with another rhythm part (instead of the chugging) much quicker, but I don't think chugging is boring, and it's fun to play, so I used chugging instead.

Last edited by Zao_89 : 05-21-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

I think too many sections just repeat endlessly with nothing new being added to keep it interesting.

I thought Nile river was very good at capturing the mood of the river. Indian Ocean was also nice after that long intro. But you also raped the hell out of the add9 chords throughout the whole album. I think my favorite piece was Amazon River. It had such a nice groove to it. Very relaxing.

All that aside it would be nice to pop in the CD player and just chill while doing some other things, but it wouldn't grab my attention and make me just sit and listen to it.

I'll give it a 7/10

C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1128495

Edit: By the way, do you listen to or like Scale the Summit?

Last edited by StewieSwan : 05-21-2009 at 01:15 AM.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Zao_89
BEADF#b

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Edit: By the way, do you listen to or like Scale the Summit?

Haha, without STS, this album would have never happened (read the updated descriptions in the first post).
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

seriously... record this, I will buy this album!

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zao_89
A note about the 1-5-9 thing (and by 1-5-9, I assume you're talking about the 024 chords), I think it sounds better tapped than strummed, which is exactly why I have the akward to play tapping part in Lake Valencia. Strummed, it wouldn't sound the same. Some of the songs are meant to be similar though, more specifically the 3 Ocean songs. I don't know if you caught the rhythm that I used in all 3 songs, but it's intentional.

I know the Ocean songs were supposed to be similar. But its not good when they're that similar. If you repeat things throughout a concept album, do it discreetly, or change something, vary it a bit, a lot, whatever. See: Pain of Salvation, The Perfect Element I, or Remedy Lane, or pretty much anything they've done. When they come back to some of those little main melodies, its still interesting cause they vary it a lot, or, just cause they dont repeat into utter oblivion.

Same on Anubis Gate's The Detached. They come back to some earlier themes but they combine them with each other, or they vary them a lot, and again, they dont beat anything into the ground as much as here.

I think that's the biggest problem with this. You repeat everything to the point where it actually gets painful.
Burning_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
herman ri2
Banned

Indian Ocean.

Just put you in the league of great songwriters on this board. That song is just beautiful and amazing.
herman ri2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: