Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Progbass92

Behind the Shadow- Progressive Metal Epic (GP4/5, midi) C4C

So, this was a song full of firsts. It's the first song I've ever written that's over twenty minutes, the first one to have a concept, and the first one with lyric ideas as well.

First I'll give a little background to the concept. The song is about the origins of the "shadow". The shadow concept is one of the archetypal theories that psychologist Carl Jung develped. Archetypes are part of the collective unconscious, the unconscious motives of our ancestors passed down through the generations. They include gender roles, survival instincts, and the shadow. The shadow is explained as the darkest of all the human archetypes, containing our deepest fears, hatred, and the source of our sometimes violent behavior. Interestingly enough, it is also the source of our love and our creativity.

So the song itself is going to be about the origins of the shadow (hence the title, because it's the story behind it) . Forces of good, the light, and evil, the shadow, clash but in the end, the shadow ends up winning out and humans become as they are today. Kind of a twist on the Adam and Eve story without all the fruit and the nudity.

The song is a Seven- Part epic and it tends to switch between lighter and darker moments.
I'd like some feedback specifically on the dynamics, the flow of the song, and the overall feel of it. A rating would be nice too.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Behind the Shadow GP4.zip (25.0 KB, 179 views)
File Type: zip Behind the Shadow GP 5.zip (32.2 KB, 574 views)
File Type: zip Behind the Shadow midi.zip (39.2 KB, 141 views)

Listen Here:

http://projectterria.bandcamp.com/
Progbass92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Ulalume

I cant believe I listened to this whole thing. You will probably lack replies due to its length.

You are a lucky son of a bitch that this was ****ing good! Otherwise I would have been pissed. Hell, by Verse 9 I was banging my head a little. Thats a good sign if I am doing that to MIDI sounds!!

As you could imagine, I am rather impressed with this. Usually when people put "epic" songs on here, they are generally not epic and usually rather boring. The only part that bored me was the "death metal" (or whatever) part and surrounding sections. However, that is a relatively small area. Maybe some more technical drumming would make that more interesting (or this song in general).

As a whole, the flow of the song is great. Many switches in mood (in a good way). With vocals this could go places. The guitar solos/duets were also very good. A bit to shreddy for my liking, though. Its not even the shred, its the excess shred. The song is very melodic and many of the solos (aside from the last guitar duet) kind of break that melodic side, for good and bad. I think mixing shred with more melody would make the solos more interesting and memorable.

It is so long that it is bound to have some problems, however you did a great job! Many people want to make 20 minute+ epics, but most of us are incapable. You have entered that realm.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Ulalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Progbass92

Thanks for the crit. I'll take your advice into consideration. I totally agree that part III is a little boring and I'll try to change the drums to save the section because I really like some of the riffs. It was the first time I incoporated "deathy" riffs into one of my songs. I do need to work on the solos. They are a bit too shreddy and need some improvement, so that will be taken care of.

Do you have anything I can headbang to?
I can crit yours.

Listen Here:

Old 05-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Gulli05
Symphonic Metal Guitarist

Finally some more 10+ prog/power/symphonic metal song!! I have been hopin' to see one for so long now.

I am listening to this now. This is intrestin' and keeps me intrested. There are so many songs here described as epic but only a few are. This is one of those truly epic songs that is posted here.

If I am right I see a lot of Symphony X / Michael Romeo guitar influence aswell as some Dream Theater and such. Some parts remind me of To-Mera (A good thing - it is a great band).

Overall this is really good and I like it. It shows you are capable of writing a long song which many want to do but few can really do.
It flows pretty well too. Though a few places seem like a just: "Wow - it jumped into an acoustic part!!" But guess that can be good - for it will surprise the listener.

I can tell you this would have an place on my iPod and playlist if recorded and published. Great job man. I hope to hear more music from you!!

Btw - will you be recording this?

Edit: No need for C4C on me - unless I post a song sometime this summer then I would maybe want a C4C. So you'll just owe me one C4C, k?
Btw - I enjoyed this a lot...
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X

Last edited by Gulli05 : 05-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Gulli05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
AngrySockMonkey
Straight Outta Compton

You are officially made of win and awesome.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Progbass92

@Gulli05: Thanks I'm glad you liked the song. You're absolutely right about the influences. Dream Theater and Symphony X are definitely the inspirations for the song, so a cookie to you sir . This won't be recorded for awhile because I'm curretnly working on putting a band together, but when we get all of our members, we can start recording my stuff and other songs that we may write together.

Oh, and AngrySockMonkey,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySockMonkey
You are officially made of win and awesome.

sigged.

Listen Here:

Old 05-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
uk.mace
[ Make it Loud ]

My God this is long!!

The intro kinda seems redundant, but I guess it makes for a nice lead into the next section. I love the synth! As someone's already said, it's very Symphony X-like. Especially the transition into a new key at 35/36. The duet is cool, nice harmonies with nothing too flash. Good job working in the bass solo under the acoustic, it works nicely and sounds good at the same time.
The piano break is brilliant! Beautiful and it doesn't get too repetitive.
Loved the panning on the acoustic break bit. Very cool anthemic bridge and chorus sounding big and not too technical. I liked the stripped-back sound of the 2nd duet, too. Would have thought some kind of synth maybe should go under the riff at 300 though. Like the one a bit later - spooky and quiet.
Absolutely love the death interlude!! F*cking brilliant use of the diminished scale! And somehow it all manages to flow nicely back into a calmer melody. Chorus 2 was great, not as anthemic as the 1st but still a nice one. I loved the drop back down for part V btw.
Loving bar 533 onwards, reminding me of Constant Motion a bit.
The pre-verse/verse in part 7 is again rather DT and personally I think there's a bit too much of the strings in there.
I really liked the octaves over verse 9, though I felt to me like it was a sort of signal that the song was coming to an end, even though it wasn't (quite).
I also loved the repeating synth at the end.

I have to say (and I never use this word) that was definitely epic. Absolutely brilliantly crafted and I can't believe I actually listened to all of it! Very well done!

dಠ_ಠb
Get Shpongled
uk.mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Aaron!!
nil desperandum

that was 24:17 long....it seemed alot shorter

Wow...I just jizzed my pants..

That was incredible

10/10
Perfect.

Thanks.

Last edited by Aaron!! : 05-23-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Aaron!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Gulli05
Symphonic Metal Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progbass92
@Gulli05: Thanks I'm glad you liked the song. You're absolutely right about the influences. Dream Theater and Symphony X are definitely the inspirations for the song, so a cookie to you sir . This won't be recorded for awhile because I'm curretnly working on putting a band together, but when we get all of our members, we can start recording my stuff and other songs that we may write together.

Yay! I got a cookie!!

Hope you find members for your band as quickly as possible.
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X

Last edited by Gulli05 : 05-23-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Fixing quote - which I messed up...
Gulli05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
|_JR_|
Something awkward.

Dude, this feels like Dream Theater influence to me! No complaints though, I love them too , and it's not like it's too blatant a resemblance, there's loads of originality to choose from, and overall, it's an awesome tune. Really. Epic as hell - from beautiful atmospheric stuff to headbang meal madness... and all those freaky time signatures!!! I'm all into the experimental thing so it's win... for me at least :P

To answer your question, almost everything flowed really well, no transitions bothered me, even if there were some weird key-changes...

Only little piece of criticism - I think in some places, some extra atmospheric chords on strings/synth would enhance the feeling (it seems a teeny tiny bit empty occasionally). That's all.

Hehe, the song is a bit too long for me to go over all of it, so I'll just say - you rock!! Seriously, this song needs a band to play it right now! Get on with it! xDxD
Rating 10/10. Obviously.

(btw, wanna check my song Anharmonic Oscillations? Or not, it sucks compared to this :P)

old myspace
|_JR_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
pmeg568c
UG Spammer

this is obviously great but i would like to see it and your other songs played by a band. because a lot of it is unplayable. it could also easily be 4 or so separate songs, no reason to try and make it 24 minutes because its "cooler" that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.

Last edited by pmeg568c : 05-23-2009 at 05:52 PM.
pmeg568c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
Darksucker
Better than lightbulbs.

Holy ****.

Get a band and record this for real.
This is the only time I've ever been floored by a ****ing MIDI tune.
It get's a bit hard to focus exclusively on the song at about 10 minutes (while surfing, etc). It's not the song, though, once you get some real guitar and maybe some vocals this will be insane.

I can't imagine how long it took you to get all this into GP, let alone record it.

btw, if you would check out the song on my profile, I would love to hear some feedback from you.
Darksucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
zakatak9389
Deviate from the form

Wow, I really was not expecting something this great. I think I'll just have to go into detail with each part, I loved it so much haha.

Intro was great, loved your use of 5/4, one of my favorite odd time sigs. The acoustic melody was wonderful and the piano stuff backing it fit perfectly. I wasnít really too fond of the transfer to at bars 13/14. It kind of interrupted the atmosphere that the intro had going. You should expand on the intro a little more, and maybe throw some drums or something in for a verse-type thing and then transfer to the metal part.

The metal riff was good, and I liked the keyboard melody backing it. You made good use of 7/4 here, it didnít sound too awkward or forced. Verse thing at bar 36 was great. It really had an awesome symphony X kind of vibe to it. Loved the buildup at bar 44, especially with the strings backing it.

Guitar duet 1 was great, good harmonies, nice piano in the background and some cool phrasing. Very good use of 7/8 here. Acoustic guitar interlude thing was nice, but it sounded too high to me, you should move it down an octave. Lead bass part was good, but I didnít like the faster licks, it didnít fit quite right imo. Next riff at bar 96 fit perfectly and had a nice melody to it, but I think you cut it off a little too quickly. The piano interlude was awesome and it was even better when the drums came in for verse 1. Great harmonies here as well. Interlude riff was awesome too. Loved the break at bar 200 with the theme thing in there haha.

Return to verse II was perfect as was the bridge. Loved the strings behind everything, it made it that much more dramatic. Ahh, so glad you brought back the riff from earlier for chorus A. I wish more people repeated themes throughout songs with variations like that! Holy crap, piano break at bar 256 was beautiful.

Guitar duet 2 was nice, but it felt a little too shreddy for my taste, I would have liked to see some more creative phrasing here, but it still sounds good. Riff at bar 300 was good, I liked how you kind of stripped everything down to basics. It was a nice break from the atmospheric stuff, important stuff for dynamics. Pre-verse was great, loved the strings behind everything. Key change for verse III was excellent, very Symphony X-esque. I also liked the other key changes in verse III as well; how it kept getting heavier until it got to the death metal part, which was excellent. Good use of diminished arpeggios here. I wasnít really too fond of the transfer IV though. It was a little too abrupt. I think itís sound even better if you had ended on that Db5 chord in bar and kind of had a cross fade going, the distortion guitar fading out while the keyboards fade in.

I am absolutely in love with IV though; favorite part of this piece no doubt. Wonderful atmosphere going on here, almost reminiscent of pain of salvation. I liked the distortion chords at bar 374, but I think they wouldíve sounded much better on a clean or acoustic guitar. Solo 1 was great, but once again it was a little too shreddy for me. I would have liked to hear some slower more intricate phrasing here. It started off good but it just got way too crazy. It sounded great, but I just didnít think it fit the mood quite right. I felt pretty much the same way about solo II as well.

Post-solo riffs were great, loved the key changes and the strings. Once again really great use of odd time sigs, I really do envy your usage of them! Verse 4 was great, had a strong dream theater vibe to it. Chorus B was great, although it got sort of repetitive, but with vocals itíll sound great. I really liked the abrupt transfer to the acoustic part. For some reason it just worked, it really grabs your attention haha.

Acoustic part was excellent. Although the transfer to bar 493 was a little too abrupt, you should have put an accelerando in there to build up to the 170 bpm tempo. The acoustic part at 170 was pretty good though. Instrumental part was fantastic, very dream theater once again haha. The part in bar 556 was a little ridiculous, although, itís probably just the fingering. Loved the melody at bar 557 though, absolute win.

Solo 3 was great, but once again it was way too shreddy in most parts, just straight scalar runs, most of the time. And how the **** are you able to play the slides in bar 584? The 5/8 sweeps sounded sick, but they just seem uber technical. Not to sound rude or anything, but Iíd like to see you play these solos. Solo 4 starts off promising but yet again it just goes into a bunch of scale wankage. I did like how you incorporated the riffs from earlier in the song though. Loved the return to the melody at bar 625.

VII was nice, but wtf was up with the jingle bell? Excellent piano and guitar harmonies though, and a sweet bass line to boot! Bars 663-664 sounded off-key though. Loved the pre-verse though, great keys backing everything and the riff sounded great with the eighth note rests. The break was great, it had a sort of folk-ish sound, almost a sort of wintersun vibe to it. Verse 9 was great and holy crap Iím so glad you returned to chorus A, excellent job there for the transfer back! Final guitar duet was perfect except for that A in bar 771 on track 3. An excellent ending to an incredible musical journey!

Iím pretty much stunned, this is quite a musical achievement, I really envy you for this now! I really liked this song much more than any of your other work. You showed some great use of dynamics throughout the song and established some wonderful atmospheres. Damn, just when I think Iím getting better, you unleash this masterpiece! Haha, youíve really inspired me to work all that much harder on my own stuff. This is probably my favorite 20 min+ song Iíve heard. I like it even more than symphony X or dream theaters work! I love the shadows concept as well. I just posted up a new song, and Iíd appreciate to hear your thoughts on it (linkage in sig). Keep up the awesome work! :Peace

EDIT: just realized you critiqued my song, I spent like over an hour critting this

Last edited by zakatak9389 : 05-23-2009 at 06:09 PM.
zakatak9389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Progbass92

Crits Returned!

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

@Darksucker: I want to record it badly but I think it may have to wait until college when I can get a little bit more serious about the band. You know, getting signed and touring, all that jazz. The one I'm starting currently is more for fun. We're not looking to get a deal or anything.

pmeg, you're really hard to please aren't you. None of it is impossible to play actually. Every melody, chord shape and rhythm is very possible to play with practice. I made sure of that for the most part Some of the arpeggios may need a little work and some fingerings here and there need to be fixed, especially on the first two solos, which I forgot to do before I posted the song.

@zakatak: Thank you so much for that lengthy detailed crit. I don't think it's fair to compare yourself to me as to who's better. Our styles are so different, it would be too hard to tell. The comment about the song being better than DT and SX is a bit of a stretch. There's no way this measures up to the Odyssey. Oh and the jingle bell will not sound like that on a real recording. I will definitely use a bell tree which works a lot better. You know you like the jingles though.

Listen Here:

Old 05-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
pmeg568c
UG Spammer

haha, im not really so much hard to please as I am more apt to like something that i can hear performed. to me, music composition is just as important as the performance of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
pmeg568c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
Progbass92

Fair enough. I see you point, and the song will be changed if it becomes too much of a hassle to play all of the really technical parts. The solos are definitely not set in stone, but most of the song is.

Listen Here:

Old 05-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #17
TeraBite

**** me that was long o.0

i must say, betweek you and zakatak, i have been inspired to start another epic metal song =]

i can't see anything wrong with it at all, apart from when you suddenly end the guitars without fading them...

hell of a lot of work put into that, and it was a damn good listen
Line 6 spyder II 212

Soundtrack?

Hellbound Believer

Epica
TeraBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #18
shooterman

wow this is amazing great piano
shooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
|_JR_|
Something awkward.

I'll add another little thing to my comment.

On your soloing, you often recur to these looong runs of 16th notes - that's not a lot of fun to listen, it feels "robotic", you know? Try to add some variety to the rhythm to enhance the feeling.

The rating still stands though. And thanks for commenting on mine!

old myspace
|_JR_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
Progbass92

Quote:
Originally Posted by |_JR_|
I'll add another little thing to my comment.

On your soloing, you often recur to these looong runs of 16th notes - that's not a lot of fun to listen, it feels "robotic", you know? Try to add some variety to the rhythm to enhance the feeling.

The rating still stands though. And thanks for commenting on mine!

Yeah, I totally agree with you on that one. I need to improve all of my solos because a lot of them are fairly boring to listen to. I'm working on them right now, so I'll probably repost with some newer solos and some more little atmospheric things thrown in throughout the song as well.

Listen Here:

Rate This Thread: