Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Bands & Artists Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-01-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

The Monthly Metal Feature - June

Guten Tag all. As usual, I welcome you all to the...

This month i'm bringing you ANOTHER new feature. This time Album of the month, where a user selects the best album released in the month previously and tries to convince you to buy dat shit.

Otherwise, it's more of the same. And here is the slots for July and August.

July
BotM - tba
AotM (New!) - Phill-Rock
Lost Relic - tba
Essential Guide - Kepulix

August
BotM - tba
AotM - tba
Lost Relic - tba
Essential Guide - tba

Time to get on down to business then. A hearty "Cheers" to this month's contributors, webbtje, Stranglehold, Blizk and most importantly myself, mmmyes.

Past Editions
The First Monthly Feature
The April Monthly Feature
The May Monthly Feature
Old 06-01-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Band of the Month - Vortech

Brought to you by Dyer's Eve

Vortech is the brainchild of one man, Juha Untinen. What this man is presenting you is a rather unique (At least as far as i'm aware) approach to Industial Metal, infusing it with elements of Progressive, Thrash and Death. From first appearance you could think to yourself "Well it seems like a bit of a Clusterfuck". But alas, you would be incorrect.

Their latest release 'Posthumanism', is a Tour de Farce in the merging of all these elements, the impact being furthered by the stellar production job and quality song-structuring. Their vocal style I find is much reminiscent of one Piotr Wiwczarek and the many ambiences scattered across the record bear a strong echo of Fear Factory. Added with guitars that flow almost seamlessly from all-out death metal to progressive melodic passages mixed with the blast-heavy programmed drums it stirs an interesting concoction if anything.

But the amazing music on display here is not the only reason I decided to make them this month's BotM... In a display of the utmost respectability, This man makes all of his music available for ABSOLUELY FREE. No catch, this is a man who put in the great time and effort into crafting such genuinely quality music and is perfectly happy for anyone to listen to it. And for those of you who want to contribute, he also makes available the option of purchasing the CD from him directly and downloading from a paying mp3 site. And if that wasn't enough for all musicians out there and those curious regarding his writing style, he has full Guitar Pro tabs for ALL of his songs.

So check 'em out, you can download their entire discography from their site absolutely free. And if you like it, I implore you to, as I myself will soon do, buy the CDs. Such a gesture is at least worth that.

Official site

Metal-Archives

MySpace

Last.fm
Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Album of the Month: Hacride - Lazarus

Brought to you by webbtje

What the fuck, you shitmongering little cuntbag? A prog album? Do you seriously expect me to sit through 4 hours of sweeping and terrible synths which probably sounds worse than strangling Susan Boyle? Next time you cross the road, don't bother looking.

Well you see, this isn't Dream Theater or Symphony X, silly person. This is devoid of wankery, and actually coherent and well structured, without ripping off Yes, Genesis, Dream Theater or Opeth. They've even stopped sounding like Meshuggah.

Webb, you make me want to strangle you. Another french band? Do you ever take a day off?

As far as I'm concerned, the French metal scene is one of the hidden gems in a sea of Gothenburg and bree bree mediocrity these days... I digress. These gentlemen could be from France, Patagonia or Turkmenistan for all I care. Seriously, Hacride sound like no one else on this album. It sounds massive, yet it's actually relatively stripped down. It has long songs without having five minute long solo trade-offs; you know what that means? Non-lazy structuring! In fact, I think there are about three or four solos on the whole thing.

Webb, remove your clothes.

Well, this is how every discussion I've had about Hacride's Lazarus has gone so far, potential copulation and all, and that basically outlines most of it. They've started using 7 strings in A, and it sounds heavy as hell without descending into monotony. It's the way in which the album was obviously planned as a whole that impresses me the most; if you listen closely, you'll notice recurring little motifs keep on popping up, and the album as a whole was obviously structured as something to be listened to the whole way through. Yeah, this is nothing new in itself, but the way in which the songs are self-contained too is great; it's very easy to listen to a single song without needing to hear the songs that surround it.

Time to linger on the instruments for a while, like an unpleasant bout of flatulence in a confined area. At the risk of sounding like a power metal fan, everything here is epic; the progressions and transitions sound huge, as does the dynamic drumming going on in the background. The drumming is probably the stand-out instrument here: in several interviews, Hacride have mentioned that the drummer listens almost exclusively to jazz; it shows. There's a lot of tom work, a lot of interesting little rhythmic shifts happening in the background; it's truly dynamic. Incidentally, not a single trigger was used.

I suppose I should probably rabbit on about the guitars a bit, seeing as this is a guitar site and all, so here goes: predictably enough, heavy as fuck, and much as this term is bandied around as yer convenient buzzword, they're pretty unique. I can't think of many artists who have texture within heaviness in the same way that Hacride do in Lazarus; however, this is not an album that drones away on powerchords – check out Act of God or A World of Lies if you want some crushingly heavy riffs, yo. A strongly middy tone makes everything nice and thick. There are a fair few synths, but not excessively so. Again, no widdle; they were all written to complement what's going on, so no obnoxious solos, and they're always used for texture and atmosphere, or the odd melody. The bass is sadly pretty inaudible behind the wall of guitars.

The vocals (yeah, they're not an instrument, I know, get over it) switch between Kidman-like shouting and cleans which vary from bellowing rage to surprisingly fragile, fitting the story of Lazarus told by the album. Look up the lyrics, if you can be bothered: a lot in the lyrical approach reminds me of Lord Worm, even if the content is of course completely different. There's something eccentric and fun about them, despite the dark story they depict.

Enough rambling from me: get this album. Buy it. Download it. Steal it. Listen to it in HMV. I don't care how you do it, but all of you are missing out on a lot should you choose not to at least give this a shot. I know I tend to ramble on hyperbolically about anything if I'm given the chance, but this time I mean it. You are an idiot if you stay away from this album because it's a progressive one; throw your preconceptions out of the window and just listen. Listening to this album will lead to you getting a pay rise, increase the size of your penis and make your significant other's breasts grow. Not listening will make your rent increase, your parents die and prevent anyone from inviting you to parties ever again. Do yourselves a favour and listen to My Enemy, the closing track and (for me) climax of this brilliant work; you will not regret it.

Incidentally,

Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Lost Relic: Atrocity - Infected

Brought to you by Stranglehold

When most people hear the word 'Atrocity' in a metal sense, they think of the dodgy German band that released a string of mediocre death metal albums before turning all gothic on us. But my friends, did you really think I would betray you like that? The answer is no.

I speak of the American Atrocity, an excellent band which I can describe best as 'Horrified' mixed with Possessed and Martin Van Drunen on vocals. Infected brings together the best of hardcore riffs, disgusting death metal vocals, and grindcore ferocity to an ultimate climax resulting in an album which has since crawled its way into my top ten.

The casual listener will of course disregard this as another plagiaristic effort, one which draws heavily from the early grindcore scene - but listen carefully. The seething rage of the riffs, the unrestrained hardcore song structure, the repulsive death metal vocals - this album is nothing short of a grindcore classic.

Available readily as a double album featuring 'The Art of Death' as a bonus cd, this album is well worth getting, for Carcass and Repulsion fans alike. Underground they may stay, but this review is at least an attempt to get an excellent band some well-deserved exposure.

Metal-Archives
Old 06-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

The Essential Guide to... Amorphis

Brought to you by Blizk

Left to right: Santeri Kallio (keyboards) – Esa Holopainen (lead guitars) – Tomi Joutsen (vocals) – Niclas Etelävuori (bass) – Tomi Koivusaari (rhythm guitars) – Jan Rechberger (drums)

Amorphis, one of the major pioneers of death metal, was formed in Helsinki in 1990 by guitarist Esa Holopainen and drummer Jan Rechberger. The early line-up also consisted of guitarist-vocalist Tomi Koivusaari and bassist Olli-Pekka Laine. A year later they recorded their first and only demo Disment of Soul in Timo Tolkki’s TTT Studio. The demo caught the attention of Relapse Records who signed the young band.

The debut album The Karelian Isthmus was released in 1993, a melodic death/doom album taking lyrical influence from universal themes of warfare and religion. The following year saw the release of a groundbreaking death metal piece and a concept album, Tales from the Thousand Lakes. It was influenced by Finland’s national epic, the Kalevala. Sound-wise the album pushed the limits of death metal by including clean vocals and a unique, moogy synthesizer sound, alongside the band’s typical folky guitar melodies. The band also became five members when they recruited a full-time keyboardist Kasper Mårtenson. He wasn’t in the band for long though as he dediced to leave the band after tough year of touring, as did drummer Rechberger.

Mårtenson was replaced by Kim Rantala, while ex-Stone member Pekka Kasari sat on the drummer’s stool. They also recruited singer Pasi Koskinen to take over the clean vocals they had written for their next album. Elegy was released in 1996 and marked a major change in their style. The songs drifted into a more progressive and experimental direction while still including much death metal elements. In 1999 they released Tuonela, which concentrated on progressive stoner and traditional doom, abandoning most of the death metal sound. It also includes more exotic instruments like saxophone, flute and electric sitar. Once again they had to find a new keyboardist as Kim Rantala had left the band. Ex-Kyyria member Santeri Kallio did the keys work for Tuonela and later on became a full-time member. In 2000 bassist Laine was replaced by another former Kyyria member, Niclas Etelävuori.

Am Universum (2001) was atmospherically similar to their previous album, but it included even more jazzy influences. Guitars left more room for keyboard and saxophone work, making it their most psychedelic album. The leading single Alone was a commercial success and boosted the album sales. In 2003 Amorphis parted ways with Relapse and released Far from the Sun through Virgin, having produced it themselves. The album turned out slightly heavier and more straightforward than their two previous outings. Drummer Rechberger returned to the band after Kasari had left for family reasons.

Koskinen left in 2004, leaving the declining band into a temporary crisis. In the following year they found Tomi Joutsen, a versatile vocalist able to handle clean and dirtier vocals as well as death growls. They did a successful US tour and released Eclipse in 2006, which was their most versatile album to date, marking the band’s return to form and into the use of death metal elements. They also returned to Kalevala as their lyrical inspiration, present in all of the successive albums as well. House of Sleep was a radio hit across central Europe and naturally Finland. In 2007 they released Silent Waters, which was similar in style with their previous album.

Their brand new album Skyforger was released May 29th. The limited digipak edition has invoked controversy with a major mastering fault: an occasional loss of volume on two tracks. Nuclear Blast has been noted to address the issue. The standard jewel case, however, does not have this problem.

Amorphis (derives from ‘amorphous’ meaning ‘no determinate form’) must be one of the most fitting band names in the world. They’re very hard to classify into a specific genre and they challenge the listener to forget all of their preconceptions about metal music.

First Purchase - Eclipse

Eclipse is a strong and versatile metal album featuring Tomi Joutsen for the first time. Quality tracks follow each other, all including a powerful drive and fantastic melodies. Songs like Leaves Scar and Brother Moon are part of the undeniable highlights of their career. The album retells the story of Kullervo, the most tragic character of Kalevala. As Eclipse features the current line-up and is a favourite among the fans, it’s a good starting point.

Follow-Up Purchase - Tales From the Thousand Lakes

A classic of melodic death metal with sales of more than 250,000 copies. Folky guitar melodies and the instantly recognisable keyboard sound created an atmosphere that was totally new to the scene, culminating on The Castaway and the legendary Black Winter Day. The album has retained its freshness to this day, verifying the claims of it being ahead of its time.

Also Get - Elegy and Skyforger

Elegy is a follow-up for Tales... and is indeed very different compared to it. While Tales had clean vocals only here and there, on this album only roughly half of the vocals are growled. The progressive elements, like the use of exotic instruments and the influence of surprising music styles starts to show. Quality of music hasn’t gone anywhere though, and it’s considered a classic of Finnish progressive metal with songs like My Kantele and On Rich and Poor.

Skyforger - too good to leave off the list! Like Eclipse, their new album has plenty of energy to it but the atmosphere isn’t quite as dark overall, mainly because of the lyrical concept. Some of the songs are absolutely outstanding; opening track Sampo is possibly one of the best they’ve ever written, while Majestic Beast is their heaviest piece in 15 years.

Hit or Miss - Am Universum

This is one of their most commercially successful albums. Although it has some particularly strong tracks like Alone and Goddess (of the Sad Man), it’s perhaps the album that splits opinions the most as the experimental take and psychedelic atmosphere seems not to be that well received by many. On the other side are the people who think it’s a very underrated album. Be careful with this one.

Avoid - Far From the Sun

This album is more straightforward than their previous album, as mentioned earlier. Saxophones and stuff like that have been dropped, but there’s still occasional reggae rhythm influence. The musical quality isn’t quite what’s usually expected from this band, although Day of your Beliefs and the haunting God of Deception are solid tracks. Relatively raw production and somewhat lacklustre vocals can also be an annoyance.

Info:
Official website
Myspace

Music videos:
Silver Bride
The Smoke
House of Sleep
Alone
Against Widows
Black Winter Day

Miscellaneous:
Kalevala
Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #6
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

And now for something completely different...

Insert your own caption for the last pic.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
Cianyx
UG Nerd

Vortech sounds really interesting from what I'm listening right now
Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Blizk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer's Eve
Hit or Miss - Ad Universum

Damned be the typos

Last edited by Blizk : 06-01-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

Haha.

Fix'd.

No doubt there'll be more.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
webbtje
Banned

Location: In a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire, in Camden/Paris/the Isle of sodding Man.
I am impressed and confused by any caption competition that involves Mendonca being in Status Quo.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #11
The Frayed Ends
Elitist Döuchebag

I'll be sure to check out Vortech and Hacride, sounds like good stuff.

I've tried getting into Amorphis a few times, and they somehow manage to bore me to tears every time.
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
Stranglehold

'Akercock-in all over the world'

Il get me coat.

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
freddaahh
A jolly nice chap

Webb, you've got me pretty enthused about Hacride, from your description they remind me of In Mourning - whom I adore - would you agree?
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
webbtje
Banned

Location: In a ditch, covered in petrol, on fire, in Camden/Paris/the Isle of sodding Man.
In a way, but a lot thicker sonically, and a less obvious metuhl influence in a way. Not quite sure how to explain it, In Mourning have always struck me as having a really strong thrash and death influence where Hacride (at least on Lazarus) have a much bigger groove and post-metal influence, texture and such over speed. I might well be pulling the post-metal bit out of my arse.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
dead-fish
Professor Miseria Supremu

What I read from Webb's post:

Hacride ----- are -------- french.

Just send me a bloody link, will you?

And comic is brilliant, on account of me confusing both of them ever since I've seen a picture of Akercocke.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #16
duncang
Popular British sitcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #17
The Kreator
Banned

Can I do BOTM for july?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 AM   #18
jibran
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyer's Eve
Dyer's fail

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Nooooott truuuuuue!

Good one this month.

Great job!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #19
TheMantipede
The Chains Are On...

How am I not surprised Webbtje did an article on Hacride?

Anywho, Vortech and Atrocity sound awesome so I'll definitely look into them, other two I'm familiar with but great job to all.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #20
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...

^^Lol, don't be dissing me, it was webb who put that in.

Rate This Thread: