Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

The ULTIMATE fake guitar thread

If there is anything you feel like is needed to be added, do NOT hesitate to pm me. i will be leaving friday June 12th, to canada and coming back June 21st or so, i will not have internet access in that time.

So now it seems like more and more threads are being posted every day where someone has found a sweet deal on that gibson les paul custom for ONLY $400!! imagine that!

I'm not sure if it's just because the economy has gone down the ****ter that people are starting to not think before they buy, who knows

here goes!

So i found this sweet guitar with $XXX off, should i buy it?

Remember the first rule of determining if a guitar is fake is the old saying "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is". This is true for almost all "iffy"guitar sales. Sure, you may find your dream guitar that is a legit true guitar for a hundred or so off, but finding a Jem V7 (normally around $2600 now) for $400 is a little strange huh?

The only guitars that are copied are Gibsons and Jems right? WRONG

I have heard so many times how only Gibsons, Ibanez, and fenders are copied, this is a completely false statement. Just about any large guitar company will have a few fakes floating around, this includes ESP, Jackson, Charvel, and so on.

What is a for sure way to know i wont get a fake guitar?

Though not always possible, buying from a reputable guitar shop, and checking the serial numbers to ensure that everything is all good. Obviously there is a huge difference between buying from Sam Ash than buying from "billy bob's pawn shop".

Normally, a true reputable dealer wouldn't even carry a fake in their shop, much less try to sell it to you. why? owning a fake guitar is a FELONY, a guitar shop wont risk that to make a quick buck, a pawn shop or similar place wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I have XXX guitar from XXX, how do i know if its fake?

Though this post is mainly for quick FAQs, in the next three or four posts will contain info on how to tell if your guitar is fake. I will have to contain many pictures, and so i think there is a picture limit on this website, correct?

Anyways, the first thing that will be a tell-tale sign of your guitar being fake is a certain part of the guitar being too small, or two large, or placed in the wrong position. See the replying posts for more info.

I just want this guitar so i can look cool, what will it hurt?

As stated At ibanez' website (CLICKY)

Quote:
Ibanez Counterfeit Warning

Some auction websites currently have hundreds of instruments that look like Ibanez guitars and/or feature our trademarked Ibanez headstocks and logos. These guitars do not offer the feel, sound and quality people expect from Ibanez. In fact, most are not good guitars by any standard.

We here at Ibanez, our distributors, and our retailers have heard many complaints from consumers who have purchased these instruments thinking they were getting a great deal when actually, in the end, they were getting swindled.

If a guitar is up for auction or straight sale at a price that's a fraction of what a new or used Ibanez guitar would typically sell for, chances are it's not a genuine Ibanez. If the shipping cost is more than the price of the guitar, it's probably not a genuine Ibanez. As the old saying goes," If something seems to good to be true, it probably is."

The best protection against being cheated or disappointed is to buy your new or used Ibanez guitars and basses from an authorized Ibanez retailer. To locate your nearest authorized Ibanez dealer, please consult the dealer locator here on our website.

One final but very important note: Because of the damages and hardship that illegal merchandise cause at so many levels, counterfeiting in the United States is a serious crime. By Federal statutes, it's not only a felony to sell counterfeit merchandise, it's a felony even to own it.

owning a guitar that is indeed a counterfeit is a felony, not just trying to sell it. Obviously this is to discourage the usage of these guitars made by con-artists and to encourage people to buy the true guitars, which honestly, once you play one of these when you've played the real thing, you'll never want to touch another of these fakes again.

Please do not buy these guitars just to have a cool "wall ornament", this is only encouraging the con artists to make more of these phony guitars.

OH NOES! i now have confirmed my guitar is fake, now what?

This is a tough question. Obviously you cant sell the guitar, my suggestion would be to somehow remove all indications that it is a fake of a brand (removing the logo permanently). Parting it out is another option, along with removing all logos.

remember YOU CANNOT SELL THE GUITAR OR IT'S PARTS.

What's the difference between lawsuit guitars and fakes?

Very simple, a lawsuit guitar was a guitar made by a reputable company that was a little too alike with another guitar from another company, so a lawsuit or two later (hence the name) that guitar was not in production anymore. leaving the guitars already made called "lawsuit guitars" as they were a line killed off by a lawsuit due to them being too similar to another guitar, and they were sold before the production stopped/couldn't sell them anymore

This will be an ever growing thread, i'll probably add alot within today and tomorrow, along with extra stuff with guest appearances from other UGers!

ill be reserving 5 or 6 replies for other things due to the picture limit

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
conor1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

Ibanez

So now, one of the most commonly faked guitar is the ibanez Jem, which is not a surprise. The Jem has had a great reputation, since the 80's, to be a fast, good looking shred guitar. It also has had a good reputation for being incredibly expensive.

There are many websites that are for Ibanez enthusiast, the main one being The Jemsite. Websites like these can help you identify your guitar to see if it is fake or not.

What's the best ways to tell if an Ibanez is fake?

Obviously, the first thing in determining a fake is the price. For example, a jem 7V is about $2500 new, finding one for about $400 is obviously a fake, please people, use your sense.

The best way (in my opinion) is to first find the model number, serial number, and get a good picture of the pickguard, tremolo, and headstock (front and back) of the EXACT guitar you are looking at. Remember, a dealer on ebay may be giving you different pictures than of the real guitar.

Now that you have these pictures, look up a picture of the real guitar, now compare these for some irregularities.

also, ask yourself these questions-

-If a Jem, does it have "team J craft" on the back?
-According to the ibanez websites/databases, does it have a different neck?
-does the inlays seem to be painted on?
-is the Edge/lo pro/etc. seem to be replaced with a floyd rose knock off?
-On a jem, are there only 9 screws holding the pickguard to the guitar? (not including pickup mounts)
-Does it have a block neck joint instead of a AANJ when your model should?
-Does the tremolo cavity seem to be recessed too deep/far back?
-If it's an Jem with a vine of life inlay, is it abalone instead of mother of pearl? (thanks Justice4AllOne)

if you answered yes to any of those questions, you may have a fake. That is just a few of the signs your guitar is a phony, if you cant decide for yourself, take it to an authorized dealer and get them to run the serial number and check it themselves.

So how similar are fakes?

Scarily similar, sometimes completely identical besides one or two "oddities.

now let's take a look at some fakes shall we?

Up first is a very good example of a fake!

next, is the real thing! beautiful, isnt it?

Now then, let's have a look at these and notice EVERY difference.

-The real Jem has a much nicer case (not pictured), the inside of the fake one looks like roadkill
-The real Jem has a true ibanez floyd, the fake has what looks like a LFR
-The real Jem has 6 screw on the back plate (not pictured), the fake has 4
-The FAKE Jem is missing the 10th screw on the lower horn of the pickguard
-The Fake Jem seems to have "team j craft" on the headstock
-The cover for the output jack on the fake ibanez has the screws in the wrong place

That is a just a few differences, if you look harder, you will see more.

i'll be adding more soon, i will cover the JS copies a little bit, some RG copies (if i can find any) and then finish with some more resources for more info.

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote:
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 : 06-10-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

Gibson, thanks to VictorinoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by [VictorinoX]
*reserved for Gibson/Epiphone fakes/pictures/clues/what to look for*

How to spot a fake Gibson

1. What to look for when in purchasing in person...

A. Measure the guitar to check that itís not undersized. Correct measurements can be found on www.Gibson.com.
B. Examine headstock and headstock logo to determine that they match those of authentic Gibson guitars.
C. Check to see that all pearl is inlaid.
D. Check that Les Paul model script is always in cursive.
E. Verify that thereís not a three-screw truss rod cover.
F. Check the control and pickup cavities for sloppy routing or wiring.
G. Check to confirm that it has a one-piece neck.
H. Make sure the pickup cavity is not painted black inside.
I. Always ask for the Gibson Ownerís Manual and Gibson Warranty Inspection card.
J. Check the wiring. If itís plastic it isnít a true Gibson.
K. When all else fails, contact Gibson Customer Service at 1-800-4GIBSON.

Check the following websites for more reference:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifesty...terfeitGibsons/

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/othe..._sold_in_us a/

2. What to look for when purchasing online from Ebay, Craigslist, etc...

A. The guitar is located in China or some other Asian country. No Gibsons are manufactured in China, all Gibsons are US Made. Gibson has satellite companies like Epiphone that manufacture overseas and are much less expensive.
B. The sellers sometimes state that the country of origin is China, apparently in a half hearted attempt to dispell that the guitars are real, even though they stamp Made in USA right on the guitars.
C. There are some subtle differences between the fake Les Pauls and the real thing. Look closely at the headstock front. Most of the fakes have a Gibson logo that is of a thicker font than the real Gibson logo and is aligned almost horizontally at the top of the headstock. The real Gibson logo is a thinner font and is angled with the G started near the post of the D string tuner. The real key is to look at the truss rod cover. Real Gibsons have a bell shaped truss rod cover with TWO screws. Every fake I've seen has a cover with a similiar shape but with THREE screws. Also, the copies of Les Paul Standards often say "Gibson" right on the truss rod cover, NO Les Pauls say Gibson on the truss rod cover, some Epiphone Les Pauls do but those aren't made in the USA and say Epiphone at the top of the headstock not Gibson.
D. These guitars that are often stamped with legitimate looking serial numbers but they don't always match the true manufacture years of the real Gibson guitars.
E. All high end Les Pauls come with nice Gibson cases, these fakes rarely include a case.
F. ASK THE SELLER - many of them will admit that the guitars are made in China, and remember, no Gibsons, especially those that say Made in USA, are made in China.

The above is elaborated and explained more at this link:

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-spot...T:-1:LISTINGS:5

3. Pictures of fakes vs. authentic Gibson craftmanship...

For this example, I'll be comparing an authentic Wine Red Les Paul Custom to a counterfeit purchased by one Jacob Jakubowski in 2006.

Below is the original, authentic item:

Now is the counterfeit:

Already you can tell something is off, but it'll make more sense once we dive into the minor details and intricacies.

A. First is the most noticeable and obvious of all. Also a dead giveaway:

A Gibson, especially a high end model like the Wine Red Custom, should only have two screws, and the truss rod cover should not be flush against the body, or even have a flat bottom like the second one has. Only lower model Epiphones use three screws, and even then, they're few and far in between.

B. Next is slightly less obvious, but still prominent, given that the potential buyer has a keen eye:

The way the headstock joins the body should be strong and straight, with a slight curve only as it leads into the top of the neck. It should be flush and smooth. It should not taper or appear warped in any way, and the fretboard should most definitely not stick out from the neck.

C. The next display encompasses the entire headstock as a whole, including the truss rod cover.

In addition to the truss rod cover, take note of the mismatched and misplaced Gibson logo. On the authentic item, the logo should be closer to the D-string tuner post. It should also be a bit taller, not as scrunched down. The Custom Shop Diamond inlay is also too small on the authentic. It should take up more space on the headstock.

D. The next detail, while not often noticed, is as recognizable as a fake's truss rod cover:

Gibson has never (NEVER) painted the cavities (pickup, control, etc) black. If anything, there's a small patch of paint reminiscent of the finish of the guitar. If any of the cavities are painted black, drop it and walk away.

E. Another dead giveaway, directly related to the truss rod cover, is the hole in and of itself:

An authentic Gibson should have a rounded, somewhat triangular hole as opposed to what resembles a pill of some kind. There should be a clear space for the screwdriver/hex wrench to get in and on the truss rod. The hole in the fake would only fit an allen wrench, which do not work with Gibson truss rods.

F. The next is also one of the more noticeable intricacies, given you donate enough time to fully inspect the guitar:

The wiring of an authentic Gibson should always be clean, clear, and precise, so as to avoid confusion of which wire goes to which pot. In a fake (as shown above) the wiring is usually very sloppy and the routing is less than desirable. It also lacks a plate with which the gorund the pickups.

That about sums it up for Gibson. I'll post more info as I come across it.

*Epiphone info will come soon*

Quote:
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 : 06-10-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

Fender, thanks to Justice4AllOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice4AllOne
FAKE FENDER GUITARS AND HOW TO SPOT THEM - Part One

Fake guitars have become a huge problem of late. Fender, one of the most respected and long-standing electric guitar companies, is faked very often, although not many people are aware of how to spot a Fender fake, as they would be with an Ibanez JEM7V or a Gibson guitar.
Let's start with two Stratocasters.

- Okay, first off, what we've got here claims to be a "Fender Stratocaster," although its make (America/Mexico/Japan) is not listed on the site.
- One quick lookover of the body and neck should tell you, "Hey, this has a six-point synchronized tremolo and 21 frets, this is a Mexican Stratocaster!" This is because American Fenders (Custom shops and the Yngwie Malmsteen Strat aside) have a two-point floating tremolo, and 22 frets. Upon closer examination, the headstock of the guitar is labeled, "FENDER Made in the USA". This is our first clue that this is a fake, because American Fenders, as I've said, use a different bridge, and have a 22nd fret.
- Second thing to look for, is the logo "FENDER Made In ______ Stratocaster" parallel with the bottom of the headstock? If the logo isn't at the flat edge of the headstock, and parallel to it, that's not a good sign. That's where the logo should be, although, if you're guitar is using the CBS headstock, it won't necessarily be parallel.
- Let's take yet another look at the headstock. Fender American Standard guitars say "Original Corona Body" at the ball end of the headstock. If this is absent, the guitar is most likely a fake.
- Now, why don't we take a quick look at the back of the guitar? Look at the neck plate on this guitar. If the guitar is "new" it should NOT have a blank neck plate. It should have the Fender logo, or at least an F, depending on the model. Again, a blank neck plate is an indicator of a fake guitar.
- Another tip off on the back of this guitar, is the trem plate. The trem plate on an American Stratocaster has one long rectangular hole to feed the strings through, while this, like a Mexican Strat, has six small square holes, another indication that it's fake.
- The back of the headstock is also useful. Does your guitar have a serial number on the back of the headstock? If not, it's probably fake. If it does, you should check with Fender to see if the number is legit.
- Another thing I'd like to share, USA Fenders with white pickguards use a white-black-white 3-ply pickguard. This is a 1-ply white, meaning it is either an aftermarket pickguard, or a fake.
- Now then, if you've got the guitar ON HAND, here's an interesting tip. Feel the logo. It's a decal, and if you can feel the transfer over the finish, it's either a fake, or a 1960's Stratocaster. If you aren't buying a 1960's Strat, you've got a fake on your hands.

Now for the other Strat.

- This guitar is listed as a "USA Fender Stratocaster". This is the only accompanying photo.
- One look, ONE LOOK, can tell you that this is NOT a USA Fender. As you can clearly see, there is a six-point tremolo, and 21 frets, both traits of some USA Custom Shop Fenders, the Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Stratocaster, and, you guessed it, Mexican Standard Strats. Chances are, this is a fake.
- Another thing, look at the headstock. This guitar lacks the "Original Corona Body" logo from the American Standard Strat, nor does it say "Stratocaster" on it. (Thanks for catching the lack of "Stratocaster" Necrosis1193!)
- And finally, I've NEVER seen a Strat with a white pickguard and black knobs. Those all use white knobs, meaning the knobs are aftermarket, and it's a used guitar, or the guitar is probably fake.
- Once again, if you've got the guitar on hand, look at the decal. If you can feel the transfer, it's a 60's Strat, or a fake.

Quote:
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 : 06-10-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

continued

Quote:
FAKE FENDER GUITARS AND HOW TO SPOT THEM - Part Two

Let's look at a Fender Thinline Copy.

- Okay, here's the very first thing that should throw you off. It's got a painted on-F hole like a PGM. Thinline Tele's use real F-Holes.
- Thinline Telecasters DO NOT use that pickguard/control plate configuration, in any form. Make sure you're getting a pickguard over that entire area, shaped differently. And if you're looking at an HH Thinline, the pickguard should cover both pickups.
- Telecasters do not have the belly contour on the back like this one does.
- This Telecaster is labeled "Made In U.S.A." in the wrong place. It should be at the ball-end of the headstock, unless you're dealing with a '69 Thinline, in which case, it isn't present at all.
- Don't be fooled by the 21 frets. The only real Thinline with 22 frets is the Squier Thinline.
- As I've said before, feel the decal. If you feel the transfer, it's fake, or from the 60's. My money's on fake.

Quote:
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 : 06-10-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
thementor
UG Fanatic

yay 5th!!!

*reserved for awesome fake guitar*
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

thementor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

thats all

Quote:
FAKE FENDERS AND HOW TO SPOT THEM - Part Three

Let's take a look at two more fake Telecasters, another Thinline, and a very odd one.

- This Thinline falls for some of the same faults as the previous one. See the pickguard and control plate? You shouldn't have that. You should have one of the many Thinline pickguards.
- Look carefully at the neck. You see 22 frets? Only Squier Thinlines do that.
- Now for the OBVIOUS one. That headstock shape is all wrong. If they can't even get the shape right (Tele headstock, or CBS headstock on some models. The John 5 signature uses a special headstock.)
- Like I said before, feel the decal.
- The input jack is also wrong. It should just be a circular jack in the side of the body. (Thanks again Necrosis1193!)

Now for the other Tele.

- If you see a Tele like this, stay away unless you can get a serial number and check it before hand, because the only way this would exist is if it came out of a Fender Custom Shop. Teles do not come in HS configuration, with a flame maple top, and a Thinline pickguard, with two volume and two tone controls. Teles just aren't manufactured that way.
- Again, feel the decal.

Sorry about the lack of basses, I can't find any fake Jazz Basses or P-Basses. But here's some things to look for.

- Like always, look at the neck plate, if it doesn't have the Fender logo or the Fender F, be careful.
- Feel the decal, as you ALWAYS should if you suspect a fake.
- Is the truss rod adjustment at the bottom? It should be, if you've got an American bass.
- Locate the serial number on the back of the headstock, that's where it should be.

GENERAL FENDER RULES

- Feel that logo decal. If you feel the decal transfer over the finish, you're either dealing with a fake, or a 1960s Fender.
- Look at the headstock, make sure the shape matches the model and year.
- Look at the neck plate. If you've got a blank neck plate, chances are, you're dealing with a fake.
- Make sure the Fender logo is in the right place.
- Make sure you've got the right Fender logo. Some models use a silver logo with a black outline, and some use an all black logo.
- If the guitar is using a white pickguard, make sure the proper screw number is there (10 on a Jazz bass plus 3 on the control plate, 12 on a P-Bass, 11 on a Stratocaster, and 8 on a Telecaster plus 2 on the control plate) and that it is a white-black-white 3-ply pickguard. All pickguards, regardless of color follow this screw pattern, unless you're dealing with a special pickguard, such as the Thinline or one of the Mustang/Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Jagstang/Duosonic/Bronco/etc. guitars.
- There should be a serial number on the back of the headstock.

Quote:
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 : 06-10-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #8
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

reserved for more pictures and such part six! feel free to post, send me a pm if anything needs to be added.

i'm going to go grab some caffeine and a sandwhich and get started on Ibanez fakes

Quote:
.. You are the man.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #9
[VictorinoX]
Banned

Just tell me what ya need, man. I'll do my best to research it when I can.
[VictorinoX] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #10
f22master
Floyd Rose Know-It-All

sounds cool. who said they wanted one as a wall ornament

EDIT: ^ same here man, just hit me up and lemme know whatcha need. im on computers all day long.

but i will be gone on a boy scout summer camp (GO TROOP 341!) next week so i wont be back till weekend after this one...

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B

Last edited by f22master : 06-10-2009 at 01:54 AM.
f22master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Quote:
Originally Posted by [VictorinoX]
Just tell me what ya need, man. I'll do my best to research it when I can.

What Vic said.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 9-5
2014 Pick 'Em: 150-72-1
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #12
[VictorinoX]
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22master
sounds cool. who said they wanted one as a wall ornament

a true outlaw wears his **** proudly, regardless of make.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #13
conor1148
Rhythm and jump.

if anyone wants to handle a Fender section, a gibby/epi section, and a "misc" section, that would be great.

Quote:
.. You are the man.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
That_Guitar_Man
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thementor
yay 5th!!!

*reserved for awesome fake guitar*

You thread ruiner you

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
That_Guitar_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
[VictorinoX]
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor1148
if anyone wants to handle a Fender section, a gibby/epi section, and a "misc" section, that would be great.

I'll take Gibson/Epi. I'll also throw in a few ESP/Tokai or any of the like if I find them.

I'll reserve next post for that.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
f22master
Floyd Rose Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor1148

i guess ill help with the "misc" section...

EDIT: instead of reserving a post, ill just PM you (TS) with the info and you can post it. cool?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B

Last edited by f22master : 06-10-2009 at 01:57 AM.
f22master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #17
[VictorinoX]
Banned

*reserved for Gibson/Epiphone fakes/pictures/clues/what to look for*

How to spot a fake Gibson

1. What to look for when in purchasing in person...

A. Measure the guitar to check that itís not undersized. Correct measurements can be found on www.Gibson.com.
B. Examine headstock and headstock logo to determine that they match those of authentic Gibson guitars.
C. Check to see that all pearl is inlaid.
D. Check that Les Paul model script is always in cursive.
E. Verify that thereís not a three-screw truss rod cover.
F. Check the control and pickup cavities for sloppy routing or wiring.
G. Check to confirm that it has a one-piece neck.
H. Make sure the pickup cavity is not painted black inside.
I. Always ask for the Gibson Ownerís Manual and Gibson Warranty Inspection card.
J. Check the wiring. If itís plastic it isnít a true Gibson.
K. When all else fails, contact Gibson Customer Service at 1-800-4GIBSON.

Check the following websites for more reference:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifesty...terfeitGibsons/

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/othe..._sold_in_us a/

2. What to look for when purchasing online from Ebay, Craigslist, etc...

A. The guitar is located in China or some other Asian country. No Gibsons are manufactured in China, all Gibsons are US Made. Gibson has satellite companies like Epiphone that manufacture overseas and are much less expensive.
B. The sellers sometimes state that the country of origin is China, apparently in a half hearted attempt to dispell that the guitars are real, even though they stamp Made in USA right on the guitars.
C. There are some subtle differences between the fake Les Pauls and the real thing. Look closely at the headstock front. Most of the fakes have a Gibson logo that is of a thicker font than the real Gibson logo and is aligned almost horizontally at the top of the headstock. The real Gibson logo is a thinner font and is angled with the G started near the post of the D string tuner. The real key is to look at the truss rod cover. Real Gibsons have a bell shaped truss rod cover with TWO screws. Every fake I've seen has a cover with a similiar shape but with THREE screws. Also, the copies of Les Paul Standards often say "Gibson" right on the truss rod cover, NO Les Pauls say Gibson on the truss rod cover, some Epiphone Les Pauls do but those aren't made in the USA and say Epiphone at the top of the headstock not Gibson.
D. These guitars that are often stamped with legitimate looking serial numbers but they don't always match the true manufacture years of the real Gibson guitars.
E. All high end Les Pauls come with nice Gibson cases, these fakes rarely include a case.
F. ASK THE SELLER - many of them will admit that the guitars are made in China, and remember, no Gibsons, especially those that say Made in USA, are made in China.

The above is elaborated and explained more at this link:

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-spot...T:-1:LISTINGS:5

3. Pictures of fakes vs. authentic Gibson craftmanship...

For this example, I'll be comparing an authentic Wine Red Les Paul Custom to a counterfeit purchased by one Jacob Jakubowski in 2006.

Below is the original, authentic item:

Now is the counterfeit:

Already you can tell something is off, but it'll make more sense once we dive into the minor details and intricacies.

A. First is the most noticeable and obvious of all. Also a dead giveaway:

A Gibson, especially a high end model like the Wine Red Custom, should only have two screws, and the truss rod cover should not be flush against the body, or even have a flat bottom like the second one has. Only lower model Epiphones use three screws, and even then, they're few and far in between.

B. Next is slightly less obvious, but still prominent, given that the potential buyer has a keen eye:

The way the headstock joins the body should be strong and straight, with a slight curve only as it leads into the top of the neck. It should be flush and smooth. It should not taper or appear warped in any way, and the fretboard should most definitely not stick out from the neck.

C. The next display encompasses the entire headstock as a whole, including the truss rod cover.

In addition to the truss rod cover, take note of the mismatched and misplaced Gibson logo. On the authentic item, the logo should be closer to the D-string tuner post. It should also be a bit taller, not as scrunched down. The Custom Shop Diamond inlay is also too small on the authentic. It should take up more space on the headstock.

D. The next detail, while not often noticed, is as recognizable as a fake's truss rod cover:

Gibson has never (NEVER) painted the cavities (pickup, control, etc) black. If anything, there's a small patch of paint reminiscent of the finish of the guitar. If any of the cavities are painted black, drop it and walk away.

E. Another dead giveaway, directly related to the truss rod cover, is the hole in and of itself:

An authentic Gibson should have a rounded, somewhat triangular hole as opposed to what resembles a pill of some kind. There should be a clear space for the screwdriver/hex wrench to get in and on the truss rod. The hole in the fake would only fit an allen wrench, which do not work with Gibson truss rods.

F. The next is also one of the more noticeable intricacies, given you donate enough time to fully inspect the guitar:

The wiring of an authentic Gibson should always be clean, clear, and precise, so as to avoid confusion of which wire goes to which pot. In a fake (as shown above) the wiring is usually very sloppy and the routing is less than desirable. It also lacks a plate with which the gorund the pickups.

That about sums it up for Gibson. I'll post more info as I come across it.

*Epiphone info will come soon*

Last edited by [VictorinoX] : 06-10-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 AM   #18
Ian hawkins

I welcome the idea of a fakes thread.
Anyone who has had a fake guitar,please,post your story and pics for the benefeit of others.
Sometimes a fake can be VERY hard to spot.Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Kirk Hammet have a Gibson flying that he used for their first hfew albums,only to later be told that it was a fake.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Ian hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #19
dimeNG

You are wrong, it's James that had the fake flying v.
dimeNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 AM   #20
canadaboy700
IRL Duck

http://www.bazaarguitar.com/ibanez-...roduct-457.html

This site is funny.

Search for a different guitar untill you find one with the chinese guy trying to speak english.
He also admits the guitars are fake.

If this does not involve you somehow flying with your hair, I will be horribly disappointed.

PSN = wario184
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

****ing Watermelons...

How dat shit work yo?
canadaboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: