Nyctophiliac

Official Exercise and Nutrition Thread *READ FIRST POST!!!*

Who to listen to:

sinisa
kadinh
SmellyHarold
walkinbazooka
JewMasatFlex

Copied from old thread ( http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=573981 )

Someone tried to make one of these but it didn't go very well, so I am going to try and make a better one. I will put a dictionary for terminology and a spot for links at the bottom, as people ask questions or have links to add, I will add to them.

If anyone has goals they wish to meet, you can post them and I will add them. This could be a way for everyone to help motivate each other to keep at it.

Here are some basic principles to know:

Cardio: Cardio is awesome for burning fat. Running/jogging is the very best. One of the best times for cardio is whenever you wake up, before you eat. This way your body goes straight to burning fat because you don't have any carbs to burn. However, doing cardio at any time will greatly benefit you.

If you want to build bulk muscle, or get bigger, you are best off by joining a gym or buying your own free-weight equipment. You want to be lifting lower reps (about 6-15) and higher weights. However, when lifting more weight, be sure to have good form, don't just put 500 pounds on a squat bar and go halfway down or grab 60 pound dumbells and swing them around. You also need to be eating lots of protein.

Power lifting: Generally stay between 1-8 reps, You want to be using high weights. Free weights are necessary. You want a high protein diet, and Form is key as with everything.

If you want to get toned, you don't necessarily have to join a gym or lift free-weights, but it will help if you do of course. You can do body weight exercises such as push ups, dips, pull/chin ups, situps/crunches or various other exercises. If you lift free-weights, lift higher reps (about 12 minimum) at lower weights, again form is most important. You also want to be doing cardio (running, biking, swimming, athletics) as well as working out.

One of the biggest mistakes that people make, is thinking that if they lift a lot, they will get toned, this is not necessarily true. Being tone is a matter of having a lower body fat percentage. You can have extremely toned muscles from lifting, but if it is covered up by fat, you won't be able to see it. Therefore, the key to looking toned, is burning off that excess fat.

Fat loss: The best way to natural fat loss is knowing how your metabolism works, and getting exercise. If you are trying to eat 3 small meals a day, or even 2 meals a day, or if you are starving yourself, you are wrong. When you eat, your metabolsim kicks in. If you go longer periods without eating, your metabolism slows down. This is why it is best to eat about 5-6 small meals a day. If you want to cut back on what you eat, this is fine, just split it up. If you eat 3 healthy meals a day, just split that up to 5 or 6. You want to eat every 2.5-3 hrs, again these are not full sized meals. It is ok to eat a slow digesting protein before you go to sleep, such as peanut butter or cottage cheese. Cardio activities also help give your metabolism a boost, and play a large part in burning fat. Get your ass off of the couch or computer and do something if you are serious about losing weight. You want to eat most of your carbs at breakfast. Your body burns carbohydrates for energy, next it goes to fat for energy, however, DO NOT cut carbs completely out of your diet. It is also good to take a multivitamin when going on a low calorie diet. This helps ensure that you are getting all the needed nutrients. Remember, EAT HEALTHY, DO NOT EAT JUNK FOOD OR DRINK A LOT OF SODA/POP and expect to lose weight.

Some added facts/tips:
-You do not build muscle while you are working out, you build it when you rest, be sure to take rest days
-Getting the right amount of sleep is essential, about 8 hrs a night.
-Drink a lot of water (about a gallon a day)

Good protien sources:
eggs
chicken
tuna
skim milk
whey protein shakes (do not make shakes the majority of your meals, use them to fill in when you have to or when you need some extra calories, you want the majority of your intake to come from real food)
peanut butter

good carbs:
Any complex carbs, a few are:
wheat bread
brown rice

Links
An excellent site with EVERYTHING you need to know: www.bodybuilding.com

Excersises (scroll to the bottom and select are you wish to work out) http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Looking for a specific workout? Look at these
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm

How to bust a plateau (when you can't increase in weight anymore)
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbi...=PlateauBusting

----------------------------------------------
You will probably get all kinds of advice from different people, a lot of whom don't know what they are talking about, this is why you will probably benefit most by using the links section, and looking around.

Peace,
PlayTheMetal

If you're new to lifting and want hawt abz and big bicepts, do this programme here, even if you don't, do it anyway

If you've been training for a year or more and want to get stronger

Read this one and this one too

"Building an Olympic Body through Bodyweight Conditioning"
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

"Pullups: A Matter of Function"
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/7/

"Grease the Groove" (obviously not the dragondoor one because it's down :/ )
http://humanmachine.wordpress.com/2...e-for-strength/

"Beastskills" tutorials:
http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials.htm

"Rosstraining" - Good all-round strength conditioning
http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

"Crossfit" - All-round strength conditioning (And i mean very all-round)
http://www.crossfit.com/

"Gymnastic Bodies - The Science of Gymnastics Strength Training"
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/

"T-Nation" - Excellent compendium of knowledge, literally a library of good sh*t.
http://www.tmuscle.com/index.jsp
Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
MetallikSH

interesting...i think i will go to eat a sandwich and then i'll sleep a bit on the sofa.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Kensai
49ers

Nicely done. Can we post now or are you addings some more posts? If so I'll edit this with a question.
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
El3ment380

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallikSH
interesting...i think i will go to eat a sandwich and then i'll sleep a bit on the sofa.

Yeah, That sounds good. The sofa is great cardio, and the sandwich kicks your metabolism into high gear.
El3ment380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Dreadnought
Nyctophiliac

This thread is the new version of the Official Bodybuilding and Nutrition thread, as it was getting pretty long. It can be found in the Archives forum. You can go ahead and start posting, of course Kensai. Other two dudes are warned for spamming though.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
freshtunes

www.Animalpak.com also has some great information, and a solid forum.
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
freshtunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
CoreysMonster
Banned

as always, my favorite mod doesn't dissapoint.

I'm on my way to losing weight and toning muscle. I've been 114 kilos for about half a year, and in the past 3 weeks have straightened my diet to vegetarian and lean turkey, cut the beer and have been trying to slowly get back into sports. I've started by walking to and from work (about 1.5 hours total) every day, and I've lost 2 kilos so far, and I've noticed a steady build in weight loss as I am getting accustomed to moving more (taking stairs instead of lifts, taking longer ways to work etc.)

I've also started lifting light weights, to get back to my original strength before my year of binge drinking and pizza.

And with the information from the links, it'll help me even more to reach my goal of a new and healthy me (or rather, the old healthy me )

Last edited by CoreysMonster : 06-25-2009 at 11:51 AM.
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Lt. Shinysides
Perma'd

awesome links. *stickied*

I think you've just about covered all the bases with those. good job.

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides : 06-25-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Lt. Shinysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
bendystraw
UG's liquid transporter

That's a well put together FAQ, I'm sure this thread will cut back on threads.
bendystraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
duggyrocks
does not rock

Posting so this will sit nicely in my user cp

Im starting to eat more now realising what a dumbass i was being thinking i could gain on the ****ty low intake diet I was on. Eating til I literally cant take another bite ftw!

duggyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Dreadnought
Nyctophiliac

You know, I didn't really do anything except post links that were recommended by the other regulars in the old exercise and nutrition thread

But please, keep the praise coming
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #12
fishmunky
The worst it's ever been

New Thread, i guess this would be a good time to give an update on my progress, since starting a new routine a little over 7 weeks ago, i've notice a difference in body shape, my shoulders and chest are definitely more defined and i've dropped 13 pounds thus far. my cardio and conditioning is probably the best its been since i was like 12 years old

in short high volume, tons of cardio and muay thai are currently working for me
fishmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
The Dance Hat
A Panoramic Zucchini

Nice to see a new thread, though I don't know why.

Just a quick question to contribute, then.
My gym has machines for many things I could be doing with dumbbells. I prefer doing free weights, but I'm not sure which is better. Which should I use?
The Dance Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #14
Saf1
Basshead

Good thread.

I'm pretty fit but might use this to build some muscle

LAST.FM'ERS http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lastfm/
Saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #15
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
This thread is the new version of the Official Bodybuilding and Nutrition thread, as it was getting pretty long. It can be found in the Archives forum. You can go ahead and start posting, of course Kensai. Other two dudes are warned for spamming though.

Ah alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster

as always, my favorite mod doesn't dissapoint.

I'm on my way to losing weight and toning muscle. I've been 114 kilos for about half a year, and in the past 3 weeks have straightened my diet to vegetarian and lean turkey, cut the beer and have been trying to slowly get back into sports. I've started by walking to and from work (about 1.5 hours total) every day, and I've lost 2 kilos so far, and I've noticed a steady build in weight loss as I am getting accustomed to moving more (taking stairs instead of lifts, taking longer ways to work etc.)

I've also started lifting light weights, to get back to my original strength before my year of binge drinking and pizza.

Well, good job

And I guess I have a question. I'm trying to put on alot of weight which I'll be doing by eating mostly but I also need to increase my stamina. I'm doing alot of running, few hours per week, and was wondering if anyone had any good, general tips for running, both eating before and after running with the gaining weight aspect in mind. Or should I just skip running and try to gain weight first, or vice versa?
██████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #16
ACG
is a penguin.

Woo! Finally a new thread. I've wanted to make a new one for quite awhile but never committed haha. I'm most likely gonna write up a new first post as well, and run it by you guys first. Is that alright? The one we have now is pretty outdated and doesn't have TOO much information about...stuff. Not gonna be for a bit though.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Dreadnought
Nyctophiliac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
And I guess I have a question. I'm trying to put on alot of weight which I'll be doing by eating mostly but I also need to increase my stamina. I'm doing alot of running, few hours per week, and was wondering if anyone had any good, general tips for running, both eating before and after running with the gaining weight aspect in mind. Or should I just skip running and try to gain weight first, or vice versa?

If you want to gain healthy weight, you're going to probably want to add a resistance training routine in order to promote muscle growth.

Unless you're running extremely far distances and very frequently, don't worry about running inhibiting your ability to gain weight. If you're a regular runner and not obese, running doesn't really affect your weight.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #18
ACG
is a penguin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai

While it would be easier to gain weight without running, it's still definitely possible. It will be just a bit more difficult as you'll have to make up for it by eating more (probably around 500 calories more than you'd have to per day). And that's very doable. Buy a tin of almonds or cashews and have a few handfuls throughout the day. Add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to some of your meals. And just have larger portions of food.

As for what to eat before running, I usually go with a meal ~1.5-2 hours before the run, which consists of ~30g of protein and probably ~60-80g of carbs (whole wheat), and maybe a little fat (cheese or milk for example). That should provide you with a lot of energy for the run.

and right after the run, I usually have a banana and a protein shake. It's usually good to have a form of carbs that's quickly digested into your bloodstream (high GI carbs).

Uuuhhhh how's that? I'm not an expert on running or anything, but it works for me so meh.

edit: ^that too.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
ESPplayer5150
UG's Combat Sports Fan

heres a good program i followed to gain mass and i think its a good starter for anyone to bulk up http://www.leehayward.com/squats.htm
ESPplayer5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
daytripper75
First Sword of Braavos

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I am trying to lose some weight and tone up a bit. I'm looking through those links right now.

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
daytripper75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: