Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #41
solomon684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
Having them respond to the picking is where it gets complicated. jof1029 (iirc) posted a schem of a way to get that to happen, but you'll have to build a circuit.

Is this the post you were referring to: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...96&postcount=17

When you say build a circuit, what exactly do you mean, like a loop kind of thing where the LEDs are attached to the pickups at the end?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #42
Invader Jim

That's one of the posts, but he posted an actual schem. What I meant by 'build a circuit' is the actual comparator circuit.

Imho its just not worth the hassel and troubleshooting for so little a result.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #43
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

im not sure i ever really posted a full circuit for that, but i did post a single version of how to achieve a comparator circuit that would work (apparently not in that thread though). i think that it would be worth doing if you put some decent effort into it, but its not going to be something that would be incredibly simple and a quick drop in circuit.

heck, if i was ever going to do this (which i probably will eventually) i would go one step further and have different levels for different frequencies. so basicly it would look like a spectrum analyzer. this would involve running the signal though a bunch of filters so you could isolate frequencies as well. as Jim said, this isnt going to be something super easy to troubleshoot so if you do it you might as well just go all out.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #44
solomon684

Quote:
That's one of the posts, but he posted an actual schem. What I meant by 'build a circuit' is the actual comparator circuit.

Imho its just not worth the hassel and troubleshooting for so little a result.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...58&postcount=27?
(If thats it, I have absolutely no clue how to read that schematic)

I have tons of time this summer and not much to do with it, so I decided I'm gonna get this to work, even if it is a lot of hassle

Decided to add a killswitch btw, picked up a momentary SPST switch from radioshack (actually it was 2 for $3.75, so I'm gonna put the black one on this, and the red one on a red yamaha I have, which I love)

Edit: pic

Last edited by solomon684 : 06-29-2009 at 06:54 PM.
solomon684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #45
solomon684

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof1029
im not sure i ever really posted a full circuit for that, but i did post a single version of how to achieve a comparator circuit that would work (apparently not in that thread though). i think that it would be worth doing if you put some decent effort into it, but its not going to be something that would be incredibly simple and a quick drop in circuit.

heck, if i was ever going to do this (which i probably will eventually) i would go one step further and have different levels for different frequencies. so basicly it would look like a spectrum analyzer. this would involve running the signal though a bunch of filters so you could isolate frequencies as well. as Jim said, this isnt going to be something super easy to troubleshoot so if you do it you might as well just go all out.

Somehow I didnt even see your post....

So with your spectrum analyzer idea, the lights would be different colors depending on how hard the picking is?

If I'm gonna do this, then I'm gonna go all out and try to put all these ideas into one guitar... always on, different intensity based on picking, and your spectrum idea, even tho I still don't get it :p
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 AM   #46
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking. like two green LEDs for when its low leve, then two yellow ones for mid level and then a red one for when the signal is really high. of course then i would have that for like 4 to 7 (or more) frequency bands, which results in using something like 20-35 LEDs and a bunch of op amps. not really a simple circuit and probably would be tough to keep it compact enough to fit into a guitar. it would be cool if done correctly and worked well, but it would take a decent ammount of time and effort to get it working well.

and yes, that is the schematic of what i was thinking of. of course to do multiple levels of LEDs you would have to chain them together. if you dont know how to read that then i suggest you work on a bit more electronics theory before trying any of this.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #47
Invader Jim

I have an old '80s radio with something like that in it. 3 yellow and 2 red LEDs and some SIP opamp with a couple R's and C's (there may be more to it, but the small PCB for it is seperate from the main one). The LEDs light in sequence depending on the level of the incoming radio/tape/phono/aux signal (unaffected by the volume pot iow).
Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #48
solomon684

Quote:
Originally Posted by jof1029
yeah, thats kinda what i was thinking. like two green LEDs for when its low leve, then two yellow ones for mid level and then a red one for when the signal is really high. of course then i would have that for like 4 to 7 (or more) frequency bands, which results in using something like 20-35 LEDs and a bunch of op amps. not really a simple circuit and probably would be tough to keep it compact enough to fit into a guitar. it would be cool if done correctly and worked well, but it would take a decent ammount of time and effort to get it working well.

and yes, that is the schematic of what i was thinking of. of course to do multiple levels of LEDs you would have to chain them together. if you dont know how to read that then i suggest you work on a bit more electronics theory before trying any of this.

yea I found some electronics websites that people linked from this forum, still reading those and stuff.... I think I may ditch the spectrum analyzer idea, and just do the on/on/off which I had originally since its somewhat simpler, even though its still not easy. I'm gonna rout the guitar into a swimming pool route instead of the H-H-S so theres more room for all this stuff, and keep reading about all this
Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #49
solomon684

I'm gonna order the electronics and give it a shot, but before I order I want to make sure the parts I was looking at are good.

Amplifier
Rectifier (theres a bunch of different one and I dont know which one I need)
Buffer Wasnt sure what kind of buffer to get either
LEDs (only one 12in strip until I get it to work)(would use 8 AA batteries)

I still am not really sure how to wire it, but I think I have an idea and want to order the parts
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #50
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

well the op amp is fine, ive used that one before and it works well enough. depending on how many things you make you might want a chip with multiple op-amps on it though. something with 2 would work if you just wanted to make that exact circuit i posted you linked to. now if you wanted more levels of brightness, a chip with 4 or more op-amps might be better. it really depends on what you end up doing with it.

rectifier, that looks like it is made to be used for might higher power applications than we are talking here. spec sheet shows ratings in amps, while we are working with milliamps here. aside from that it recomends tens or hundreds of volts for the input, while we are working with numbers a lot smaller than that.

as for the buffer, thats not at all what you want. read over this and that should give you some ideas for how to pick and build a buffer.

looking at spec sheets is really important. even if you dont understand most of the stuff, just seeing what kind of voltages and currents the thing is designed to work for is a good place to start.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #51
solomon684

Instead of going with LEDs, I'm gonna use EL (electroluminescent) wire. I think I am going to order 9ft of this wire and this inverter with a 12v battery pack. Gonna wire up the pickups to it by wiring pickups-->buffer-->quad op amp-->EL wire, since it is powered by AC not DC, no rectifer is needed, then wire that up to a 3-way switch... how does that sound?

Edit: Ok, what I just said wont work since the EL wire needs 110v AC and a frequency between 900-1200 Hz to work without blowing out, while the pickups I am ordering have frequency's of 5.3k, 5.5k, and 8.7k. If I can find a product that can decreases the frequency from the pickups to something in that range I think I can get it to work through some trial and error... does anyone know of a product that does that?

Last edited by solomon684 : 07-03-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #52
solomon684

Routed out some wood under the pickguard just so there's more room.... and apparently the guitar's wood is birch

Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #53
Invader Jim

What you called "frequency of the pups" sounds like the DCR (DC resistance) which is not at all related to the frequency. The frequency of the pups depends on the notes you're playing. They do emit AC though...

I got the stuff you sent today btw. Looks more yellow irl than in the pic. Very nice though.

Never heard of Squiers being made of birch.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #54
solomon684

Quote:
What you called "frequency of the pups" sounds like the DCR (DC resistance) which is not at all related to the frequency. The frequency of the pups depends on the notes you're playing. They do emit AC though...

I got the stuff you sent today btw. Looks more yellow irl than in the pic. Very nice though.

Never heard of Squiers being made of birch.

Do you know a frequency range of notes? If they are between 900-1200 Hz it'd make this a lot easier. I'm gonna look it up and see if I can find anything

Glad you like it

My neighbor helped me route out the wood cause he's got more tools than I do and he said it was birch, I wish I knew more about the guitar in general though....

Edit: Since it has 21 frets, the frequencies are between 82.41 Hz and 1108.7 Hz, so I would have to boost the frequency AND the voltage to light the EL wire, or should I just not worry about frequency and I'm overthinking it?

Last edited by solomon684 : 07-03-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 PM   #55
Invader Jim

I think you may be overthinking it, but idk. Not familiar with this kind of thing.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #56
mity88

Sorry this is not on topic,but Invader Jim,i got a fender squier and saw that u said the serial says where its made and what year...so i gather mine is a 2OO3 model...but the first two letters are CY,its not that important,im just curious.thanks...
mity88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #57
Invader Jim

Replied on your profile page, mity88.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #58
solomon684

UPDATE!! (lots of pics)

Ok, so I finished scalloping and staining the freboard, it doesnt look perfect but I think its looks pretty good. The ebony wood filler was designed to match the ebony stain but they dont look similar at all so I'm gonna try to find a way to darken the filler or just leave the fretboard how it is

The GFS pickups came today, still need to get a soldering iron before I can actually start (my radioshack one sucks, I want to get one thats better)

Neck
Before

After

Body (without killswitch and LED switch)

Last edited by solomon684 : 07-07-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #59
AC/DC4EVA
Rocking And Rolling

nice! is that the superstrat kit from guitarfetish? looks like it.

looks nice looking forward to seeing/hearing the final product

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
AC/DC4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #60
solomon684

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC4EVA
nice! is that the superstrat kit from guitarfetish? looks like it.

looks nice looking forward to seeing/hearing the final product

yes it is, I was gonna go with standard wiring but I saw that and it seemed pretty interesting, so I decided to try it... wanna make the black look new and clean so I'm gonna try to clean that and make it look brand new

btw, nice call on the white hardware jim, looks much nicer than black would've

also... I have 22 AWG wire from guitar fetish laying around, would it be better to use 24 or 22 AWG?

Rate This Thread: