Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

How would you feel if you were me?

So basically i grew up in a family of 6 with only 1 parent having income, and it wasn't very much. Not poverty status, but there have been times in my life where canned stew and value village clothing were what we got by on. Everything i have in my life i've earned through working for myself. I've put myself through university and don't get handouts. If it sounds like there's a chip on my shoulder, well, there is.

My parents are currently in the process of adopting this kid from Ukraine. Not a kid anymore actually, he's 21 or 22 now. They've been trying to get him since he was 10 or 11.

Am I an ass hole for not wanting it to happen and resenting my parents for wanting to bring in another kid who has stunted social skills from being an orphan in a rough country his whole life? That I believe the 4 kids they have should be their top priority first and taking care of them should come before a kid on the other side of the globe who doesn't bring a whole lot other than a new set of troubles to our family? Like on the one hand, it's great that my parents are "rescuing" (a relative term, honestly) him, but on the other hand, i just can't help how i feel with regards to believing it would be a mistake.

Now all this time i've been hoping i move far away before any of it goes down, but the timetable has recently been moved up significantly and now the adopted kid could be here by September.

What do you guys think? Am i justified in feeling the way i do? How would you feel in my position?
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
-tempest-
hi, my name is matt.

sure you can feel that way. its not going to change anything though and its pointless to focus on it.

I've spent my life questioning everything.
Sometimes what is placed right in front of us.
I find so hard to believe.
It can crush us so hard,
That it becomes difficult to breathe

-tempest- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
chrismendiola
Killed by drones

You can adopt an adult?

Str8 up gunnin' down these nerds
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

...you can adopt an adult....???

^goddamn you chris

...modes and scales are still useless.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
guitarxo
cat

I would definitely feel the same if I was in your position. Exactly the same.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Yes, you can, if you want them to legally be part of your family and take your last name and all that shit
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #7
EndTheRapture51
#TeamSWIFT

You can adopt an adult? Weird.

You shouldn't have a chip on your shoulder - those with a chip on their shoulder are THE WORST. However it's perfectly fair to feel a little weird over something like this and be aware of when people are taking advantage of your parents.

and we run
EndTheRapture51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
Baby Joel
just you and i

might be a thing where they assume guardianship to get the guy to come to beautiful not-Ukraine america? idk

oh. but you can't assume guardianship

idk. maybe low-functioning illness?

also, die and dye

lostboys http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lostboys/

th official homophone thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1675125

the serious thread: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1675340
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Ace I would be fucking pissed.

This is living above their means, and it's even worse because they're not living above their means with materialistic things, but rather with the family itself. If you're struggling to feed and clothe the children you already have, it should be illegal for you to have more, adopted or not.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
You can adopt an adult? Weird.

You shouldn't have a chip on your shoulder - those with a chip on their shoulder are THE WORST. However it's perfectly fair to feel a little weird over something like this and be aware of when people are taking advantage of your parents.

I can't help it. You wouldn't be able to tell anyways in normal life stuff. I just strongly dislike people who were born with a silver spoon and have every material thing they could want but are still shitty fukhead people. Unless im having a conversation specifically about it, it's not like i broadcast it in day to day life lol. But when some shitty 18 year old fukhead rolls up in the mercedes he got for his 16th birthday and then acts like an entitled shit head, yeah i dont like that and go out of my way to avoid these people
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
EndTheRapture51
#TeamSWIFT

Oh yeah I don't like that either I wouldn't say that's having a chip on your shoulder though

Having a chip on your shoulder is people who think the world is against them in almost every situation because they're poor/black/rich/a woman/a redneck

and we run
EndTheRapture51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Ace I would be fucking pissed.

This is living above their means, and it's even worse because they're not living above their means with materialistic things, but rather with the family itself. If you're struggling to feed and clothe the children you already have, it should be illegal for you to have more, adopted or not.

Well it's not living above their means nowadays, moreso when they first wanted to get him 11 or so years ago. Like we have a decent house in a decent neighbourhood and there's always decent food on the table and my dad makes more money now than he did back then, i just strongly feel that they shouldn't be investing into another kid that's not even theirs. The shitty part is that I have to pretend to be going along with it and I'll be expected to be a "big brother" to him and stuff, which i have no ****ing intention of doing.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acϵ♠
Well it's not living above their means nowadays, moreso when they first wanted to get him 11 or so years ago. Like we have a decent house in a decent neighbourhood and there's always decent food on the table and my dad makes more money now than he did back then, i just strongly feel that they shouldn't be investing into another kid that's not even theirs. The shitty part is that I have to pretend to be going along with it and I'll be expected to be a "big brother" to him and stuff, which i have no ****ing intention of doing.

Well in any case, I would still be pissed. It just doesn't make sense why they're bringing in an outsider when they historically struggled to provide for blood...

Why are they so hellbent on adopting some Russian krokodil adult?!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
guitarxo
cat

I don't think the fact that they were poor in the past matters at all. But it does suck that ace has to work and earn everything for himself while this adopted kid presumably does not.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Dreadnought
Mountain diver

I would probably feel the same way yes.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #16
Harvey Swick
7:47

the human mind can justify anything is the right circumstances.

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Harvey Swick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #17
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Well in any case, I would still be pissed. It just doesn't make sense why they're bringing in an outsider when they historically struggled to provide for blood...

Why are they so hellbent on adopting some Russian krokodil adult?!

Dude i have no idea. No idea. They go to Ukraine once a year to provide relief around the country for orphanages and shit like that, and at one of them they met this kid. No ****ing clue why they decided we should adopt him, it's baffled me for over a decade.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #18
MetalMullet

1. Have you considered that maybe your mom has a thing for him?
2. If "the kid" was a hot Ukrainian chick, would you feel the same?

These are legit questions.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Fat Lard

Did they budget accordingly, and can afford to make investments for their biological kids to go to college/etc.?

If so, stop resenting.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #20
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

Your parents should have done the wise thing, which is following mainstream society and just talk about how we should help people in foreign countries who have it worse.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: