Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
EndTheRapture51
thank u based ramsey <3
 
EndTheRapture51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Religion dying out

Do you think it is likely that in the next few generations we will see a drastic decrease in the number of religious people in the western world? Britain for me seems increasing secular among the majority

At the moment I know maybe 1 or 2 religious people around my age (22), 1 is a full practicing Christian, the other doesn't go to Church but she still lives by Christian values such as no sex before marriage, and she used to not drink but she gets tipsy but not out of it now. Most young people do not seem religious but is it likely they will become religious as testing times happen as they get older?

Obviously this is just my observation of one religion in my own country, but is it a trend across the West?
__________________
#WengerOut
EndTheRapture51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Baby Joel
Not who I want to be
 
Baby Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Not where I want to be
Yeah, I can definitely see it happening.
__________________
Not what I want to say
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
 
jambi_mantra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
In developed countries yea. Outside of that it'll still be there.
__________________
MELBOURNE UNI GRIDIRON CLUB 2014 SEASON
ROYALS 0-3
LIONS 0-3-1


Gridion Newsletter: http://issuu.com/mugc/docs/mugc_new...r_edition_three
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
Nelshizzle
Find a place and go there
 
Nelshizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Far out man
Honestly, I can only see new religions being formed.

If something drastic were to happen to all of us as a whole society regardless of scenario, better believe people are going to be out there finding a belief.
__________________
Too many thoughts

Not enough action

Too much action

Not enough thoughts
Nelshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat
 
BjarnedeGraaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Foodland
As said in the relationship thread. A lot of people don't really care for it anymore I think.
Also with all the negativity about religion nowadays, there's not a lot of people who want to be assosiated with it (wars, stereotypes about catholics who are pedo's and muslims who are terrorists and stuff)
__________________
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #6
eGraham
Logjammin'
 
eGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cutting off your Johnson
I do think religion will be phased out.

I mean Atheism is still a big deal in America, but at least it seems that Euro countries are more tolerant of that system.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.




I am an equal opportunity banner
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
I do think religion will be phased out.

I mean Atheism is still a big deal in America, but at least it seems that Euro countries are more tolerant of that system.

Certainly in the UK, more people are identifying themselves as humanist, rather than atheist(in my experience, anyway).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
You don't know every cyborg penis or eye type in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #8
LivinJoke84
Leeds
 
LivinJoke84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Maybe. Does it matter.

To be honest, some of the stuff i see about Atheism almost makes it sound like a religion from "extreme atheists"! Oh the irony
__________________
Otiks <-----CLICK!
LivinJoke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #9
fLYinGV23
I'm watching.
 
fLYinGV23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: From the window.
"God was a dream of good government."
If anything, I see people going to more Eastern forms of religion/philosophy such as Bhuddism. Which is fine as long as you don't impose anything on me and I do the same
__________________
Life is only a vision. A dream. Nothing exists, save empty space and you. And you, are but a thought.


My credentials below.
show
fLYinGV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
eGraham
Logjammin'
 
eGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cutting off your Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Certainly in the UK, more people are identifying themselves as humanist, rather than atheist(in my experience, anyway).

Humanism is new to me, actually. I assume it is still non-theistic even if it isn't atheist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinJoke84
Maybe. Does it matter.

To be honest, some of the stuff i see about Atheism almost makes it sound like a religion from "extreme atheists"! Oh the irony

Such is the reality of human nature.

And I don't think it matters because I want people to "see things correctly" or anything like that. I do think it matters because a more unified world who can get out of each other's asses about what they believe can focus on accomplishments elsewhere.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.




I am an equal opportunity banner

Last edited by eGraham : 07-24-2014 at 06:32 AM.
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
EndTheRapture51
thank u based ramsey <3
 
EndTheRapture51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinJoke84
Maybe. Does it matter.

To be honest, some of the stuff i see about Atheism almost makes it sound like a religion from "extreme atheists"! Oh the irony


I am not a militant atheist, I am more agnostic than anything, but atheism as a movement seems very pro-choice and libertarian movement - they are against religion dictating everyone's lie because of the writings of a book. They go about it in a very weird and obnoxious way but at heart it is an agreeable thing based on knowledge.

It's just they come across as neckbeard fedoras which isn't very nice.
__________________
#WengerOut
EndTheRapture51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #12
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGraham
Humanism is new to me, actually. I assume it is still non-theistic even if it isn't atheist?


Such is the reality of human nature.

And I don't think it matters because I want people to "see things correctly" or anything like that. I do think it matters because a more unified world who can get out of each other's asses about what they believe can focus on accomplishments elsewhere.

Humanism is non-theistic. Isaac Asimov identified as a humanist, and google will tell you anything else you need to know.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
You don't know every cyborg penis or eye type in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #13
LivinJoke84
Leeds
 
LivinJoke84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
I am not a militant atheist, I am more agnostic than anything, but atheism as a movement seems very pro-choice and libertarian movement - they are against religion dictating everyone's lie because of the writings of a book. They go about it in a very weird and obnoxious way but at heart it is an agreeable thing based on knowledge.

It's just they come across as neckbeard fedoras which isn't very nice.


I have seen some really militant and agressive Atheist stuff and its not nice. Its no better than those religious nutjobs telling people theyre gonna burn in Hell for their sins.

I dont have a problem with religion on the whole. If people wanna go to church on a Sunday, live a honest virtious life and adopt a "live and let live" approach then i dont see why they shouldnt.

It becomes a problem when they start trying to convert people (something which certain arms of Atheism is doing, which i object to). At least you can just ignore the converters though.

By far my biggest problem is when people start flying planes into buildings and chopping up British soldiers in the street, all in the name of religion. To be fair though, its probably only about 0.0000001% of religious people who even THINK about taking things that far. Those nutters would have probably done something like that without using religion anyway. Nutters gonna nut

TL;dr - live and let live everyone. If everyone took that approach the world would be a better place
__________________
Otiks <-----CLICK!

Last edited by LivinJoke84 : 07-24-2014 at 07:03 AM.
LivinJoke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
captainsnazz
#Cool&#Nice
 
captainsnazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: yorkshire
soon enough u will all accept thor as your saviour


also ts you kind of do come across as a fedora neckboard you should probably keep that in check
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
Anyone who needs a degree to think their good isn't doing music right, it's like taking a class in being funny.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
EndTheRapture51
thank u based ramsey <3
 
EndTheRapture51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinJoke84
I have seen some really militant and agressive Atheist stuff and its not nice. Its no better than those religious nutjobs telling people theyre gonna burn in Hell for their sins.

I dont have a problem with religion on the whole. If people wanna go to church on a Sunday, live a honest virtious life and adopt a "live and let live" approach then i dont see why they shouldnt.

It becomes a problem when they start trying to convert people (something which certain arms of Atheism is doing, which i object to). At least you can just ignore the converters though.

By far my biggest problem is when people start flying planes into buildings and chopping up British soldiers in the street, all in the name of religion. To be fair though, its probably only about 0.0000001% of religious people who even THINK about taking things that far. Those nutters would have probably done something like that without using religion anyway. Nutters gonna nut

TL;dr - live and let live everyone. If everyone took that approach the world would be a better place


My problem with obnoxious religious people compared to obnoxious atheists is that at least the atheists are not trying to impose their views and beliefs on laws and stuff.

It really disgusts me that religious people will want gay people to not be allowed certains rights just because it is "wrong" in their eyes or when people will not be allowed abortions etc. just to fit in line with their personal beliefs.

This is wrong, and although militant atheists might suck and be vile people at lest they don't have the attitude of militant Christians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
soon enough u will all accept thor as your saviour


also ts you kind of do come across as a fedora neckboard you should probably keep that in check


I have no beard or fedora I live the skinny jeans crew neck lyf
__________________
#WengerOut

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 : 07-24-2014 at 07:09 AM.
EndTheRapture51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
stratkat
IWTCIRD
 
stratkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
show


Renounce faith, buy a fedora.
__________________
E-married to EuBoat
FireFromTheVoid's Master;3

animelist

Last edited by stratkat : 07-24-2014 at 07:30 AM.
stratkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #17
Pastafarian96
Gemma-Claudia Owner
 
Pastafarian96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Land with a giant rock in the middle.
You could always join the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster, I don't care If you do or don't. Just that our afterlife is nothing but a beer volcano and stripper factory, but again, your choice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
Well, public masturbating sounds a lot like public mass debating, so it's kind of like preparation for politics, right?
Pastafarian96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #18
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!
 
slapsymcdougal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelshizzle
Honestly, I can only see new religions being formed.

If something drastic were to happen to all of us as a whole society regardless of scenario, better believe people are going to be out there finding a belief.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
You don't know every cyborg penis or eye type in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #19
LivinJoke84
Leeds
 
LivinJoke84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
I guess this thread could be summed up:-

A minority of people are arseholes
__________________
Otiks <-----CLICK!
LivinJoke84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #20
Jehannum
Registered Abuser
 
Jehannum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Birmingham, England
Christianity will die out. Islam will replace it.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.