Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Modern Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
miniscat
miniscat

Billy Talent

I've been a massive fan of Billy Talent since their 1st album. What do you guys think of this band?

I've been lucky enough to see them play in a small bar in Cardiff (Wales) & they are one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

And Ian D'Sa is awesome :-)
Orange 1x12 Cab
Korg pitchblack
Boss DD-5 delay
MXR 90 phaser
MXR Blue Box
Boss BD-2
Zak Wylde OD
LPB-1 Booster

Music is the source of happiness
miniscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
druggietoad2k5
UG Freak

I like them, even their Pezz stuff.

Apparently their new album is really bad though, from what i've heard, or at least not as good as the other ones.

I've never seen them live though.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

druggietoad2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
nic2991

Love these guys, seen them live twice. Their first album was amazing, and the second was pretty good. Hoping that the third one is listenable.
nic2991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
David_Bowie=GOD

I find Billy Talent annoying, or at least what ive heard from them.
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
David_Bowie=GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Andrax20
Self-hating bassist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggietoad2k5
I like them, even their Pezz stuff.

Apparently their new album is really bad though, from what i've heard, or at least not as good as the other ones.

I've never seen them live though.

Seriously? I've heard from just about everyone that their new album is by far their best work yet! I guess we'll find out on July 14th.

And I saw them June 20th at EDGEfest, they were by far the best band there.

Last edited by Andrax20 : 07-11-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Andrax20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
frenchdude

I'm a big fan of Billy Talent !! Listening to them every day, at least one song because that's my vitamin for starting the day

And I completely agree with Andrax20 for saying that the new album is better than the 2 previous ones ! More melodic, more "sensitive", more interesting !

They're plenty of energy when playing live, their style is very unique and I saw the band in Paris in 2007 ! Incredible show

And I forgot to mention one thing : they're humble guys !

A thing I'll never forget : during Rock am Ring 2007 and 2009 and each time during the bridge of Try Honestly, you can see the singer, Ben just like a child in front of 80 000 people and confessing that he would have never dreamed of this moment in his whole life, he was truly sincere on the screens, i like people like that, with feelings in these moments ! So much for the story.
frenchdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
archangels
HAIL SK8N

Seriously?

This is the Billy Talent Thread?

*sigh*

Well, I guess I'll tell the handful of you in here anyway. I pirated the leak of III because I couldn't stand waiting for it to come out.

Since I was recently disappointed another band's excuse for a new release (I'm looking at you, Green Day), I was a little nervous about it.

But now, after about the third time through it, I can say with relief, and excitement, that I love it. There are about two songs that kind of rub me the wrong way because they're lighter and a little poppier, but that's how II was my first few listens as well. I'm sure they'll grow on me.

And don't worry, I'll be buying a legitimate copy once it hits stores. Billy Talent is one of the few bands that I think honestly deserves the money for the music they make.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Funky_Fresh91
So fresh a so clean clean

I've gotten some of their songs from II and all from their first, and i frigging love Line and Sinker and River below.
Ian D'sa has a unique way of playing, mainly with his chord voicings. I can't really explain it all too well, I have a hard time with fingering some chords on their songs.
Funky_Fresh91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
frenchdude

Quote:
Ian D'sa has a unique way of playing, mainly with his chord voicings. I can't really explain it all too well, I have a hard time with fingering some chords on their songs.

That's what I love too because I discovered a bunch of new chords. And although that there are very good tabs here on UG, I've bought the 2 guitarbooks and I'm waiting for the new one...in a few months like always..
Old 07-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
archangels
HAIL SK8N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Fresh91

The first time I listened to BT, I thought there were two guitarists.

Needless to say, Ian's my favorite guitarist. Not to mention he's got sexy hair.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
toyboxmonster
lost in other worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangels666
Not to mention he's got sexy hair.

<.< I hate his hair.

Anyways, the first album was great. Blistering, jagged punk guitar with post-hardcore vocal dynamics. The second album had a handful of great tracks, but most of them were duds and the production was too squeaky clean. Needless to say, I don't have very high hopes for Billy Talent III
toyboxmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
Andrax20
Self-hating bassist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchdude
That's what I love too because I discovered a bunch of new chords. And although that there are very good tabs here on UG, I've bought the 2 guitarbooks and I'm waiting for the new one...in a few months like always..

Not sure if they're going to release a book like they did with the first two albums, but they are releasing something called "Guitar villian"

It'll be a two disk box set, disk 1 being the regular album, but disk 2 will have the same songs but with the guitar edited out of the song, so that guitarists can play along.

The box set also features a poster that gives all tabs (corrected by Mr. D'sa himself) to allow you to play the song correctly.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
toyboxmonster
lost in other worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrax20
they are releasing something called "Guitar villian"

If you are seriosu, that's really depressing.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
archangels
HAIL SK8N

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboxmonster
<.< I hate his hair.

To each his own, I guess. I'd never do my hair like that, but I think it looks cool.

Quote:
Anyways, the first album was great. Blistering, jagged punk guitar with post-hardcore vocal dynamics. The second album had a handful of great tracks, but most of them were duds and the production was too squeaky clean. Needless to say, I don't have very high hopes for Billy Talent III
Well, I don't know if I would classify D'sa as a punk guitarist, but I know what you mean. I kind of felt like II's production made it feel more polished and sophisticated. Sure, some of the songs weren't quite as raw, but you can't tell me that Burn the Evidence wasn't a damn good song, and that was one of the cleanest-sounding songs on the album.

I think you might like III; I noticed right away that it felt a little less studio-produced, though that could be just because I downloaded the leak, and the final cut might be different.

Though there are two songs near the end that are a little slower and pretty polished that so far I'm not too fond of. Every band needs a hit though, right? Ah, I'm sure they'll grow on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboxmonster
If you are seriosu, that's really depressing.

Way to read what it actually was instead of trolling for GH hate.
It's a copy of the album with the guitar lines taken out so that you can play along.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
toyboxmonster
lost in other worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangels666
Way to read what it actually was instead of trolling for GH hate.
It's a copy of the album with the guitar lines taken out so that you can play along.

I'm not entirely sure what you think I misunderstood, nor am I certain about the outlandish definition of "trolling" under which you operate.
I'm sure I can state a not-so-positive opinion without being on the search for trouble.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
frenchdude

Quote:
Not sure if they're going to release a book like they did with the first two albums, but they are releasing something called "Guitar villian" It'll be a two disk box set, disk 1 being the regular album, but disk 2 will have the same songs but with the guitar edited out of the song, so that guitarists can play along. The box set also features a poster that gives all tabs (corrected by Mr. D'sa himself) to allow you to play the song correctly.

Exactly, I've just seen that elsewhere !! I was very surprised but it's a VERY good thing and I think it's the first time I see that kind of "gift" in a box !

Tabbing Billy Talent has always been "a pain in the ass" (don't know if it's the right expression ) and even the Hal Leonard guitarbooks weren't 100% accurate !

I will order this box this week, I saw it's already available in France for 25 euros
Old 07-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
nonotreals

i heard the tale end of an interview with them on 102.1 the edge last night. I really wanna hear the whole interview but i cant find it. does anyone know if its available online anywhere?
nonotreals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:18 AM   #18
MattsRichardson
Practiced Sarcasticist

Quote:
Seriously? I've heard from just about everyone that their new album is by far their best work yet! I guess we'll find out on July 14th.

And I saw them June 20th at EDGEfest, they were by far the best band there.

upon first listen i didnt like BillyTalent III, but this is right up there with I & II. i love it man great musicians they are. guitarist is incredible
MattsRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
Andrax20
Self-hating bassist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsRichardson
upon first listen i didnt like BillyTalent III, but this is right up there with I & II. i love it man great musicians they are. guitarist is incredible

Totally agree with you there, I was actually slightly disappointed when I first heard the album, but the more I listen to it, the more and more tracks are getting stuck in my head, I now think that this is thier best album yet.

As well, the mixing is much better then BT I and II, I can follow Jon's bass lines through out the song (same goes for Aaron and Ian, but especially Jon), as before his bass lines easily got lost amidst the drums and guitar.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #20
iforgot112233
Guitar player wannabe

Quote:
Totally agree with you there, I was actually slightly disappointed when I first heard the album, but the more I listen to it, the more and more tracks are getting stuck in my head, I now think that this is thier best album yet.

As well, the mixing is much better then BT I and II, I can follow Jon's bass lines through out the song (same goes for Aaron and Ian, but especially Jon), as before his bass lines easily got lost amidst the drums and guitar.

Exactly how I felt about them at first too.

Rate This Thread: