Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Metalmaker

Question isp decimator vs. g-string decimator

what is the difference between the isp decimator noise gate and the isp G string noise gate?

i just can't figure it out, noobish, i know, sorry

thanks for the help though

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Metalmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
mikeyElite
who ate my snackpack?

you can gate your effects loop and guitar at the same time with the G version. you have to pick one or the other with the standard version.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
Metalmaker

okay, sweet, thanks,

so basically, just get the g string cuz with just one i might end up needing it anyway?

also, with the g version, if i have no other fx, save a wah in front, i should just put it in my amp's fx loop from what i gather, is that right?

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote:
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
mikeyElite
who ate my snackpack?

this should explain the G pretty well,

Old 07-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
madh4ttr
What the .....

the regular ISP will do you fine, no need to spend the extra $$$
Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
GrisKy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madh4ttr
the regular ISP will do you fine, no need to spend the extra $$$

not neccessarily.

front-loading a gate will help kill feedback and any noise from your earlier pedals. a gate in the loop will simmer down noise from your amp (and any FX in the loop before the gate). so, if you've got a noisey amp that feedbacks like crazy, the "g" (actually designed for high-gain amps) is more cost effective than eventually buying two gates because one doesn't do the job.
GrisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #7
Metalmaker

that diagram's........well it makes the g look like a pain in the @$$, my main concern is that for some reason it's not just my pups, cuz they're hot passives, and that it's some noise from the amp....

EDIT: what i'm asking is this, if i have just the g, will that alone keep my entire rig quiet regardless if a have a long effects chain or none at all (except a wah which goes in front of course)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote:

Last edited by Metalmaker : 07-07-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Weeping_Demon7
Feminist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmaker
that diagram's........well it makes the g look like a pain in the @$$, my main concern is that for some reason it's not just my pups, cuz they're hot passives, and that it's some noise from the amp....

EDIT: what i'm asking is this, if i have just the g, will that alone keep my entire rig quiet regardless if a have a long effects chain or none at all (except a wah which goes in front of course)

It's very simple. You run your guitar into one input, another into the effects send, the last input into the amp itself (or the next pedal down the line) and the output goes into the return.

Yes, the G Decimator is a better pedal.

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Weeping_Demon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
GrisKy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmaker

and to answer your EDIT question, essentially yes. it'll give you a gate in the two places where you need 'em, but the downside is that you can only control one threshold knob for both. check out the rack version if it's in your budget. it solves that problem.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
Faux~Affliction
Got Djent?

Personally I'd MUCH rather just buy two regular Decimators.
It's the exact same price, and it gives you more control over how much you are gating because you have two knobs instead of one. This is especially helpful because the loop may require less gating than the front for example.
The only reason I see for getting the G-String is if you absolutely NEED the pedalboard space.
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Faux~Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #11
GrisKy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux~Affliction
it gives you more control over how much you are gating because you have two knobs instead of one. This is especially helpful because the loop may require less gating than the front for example.

yeah, thanks faux... pretty sure i just said that.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #12
davidbcoo

when i'm gigging, i'm typically just plugging straight in to my pedal board and running that to the amp. in my case, because i'm not using an effects loop on the amp, it is probably smarter to just buy the regular decimator, right?
davidbcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:09 AM   #13
IsThereLoveInSp
A Monday Morning Lunatic

It seems to me that if you just put the regular Decimator at the end of the chain in the effects loop, you would kill the noise from both the amp and the guitar/effects before the amp as long as you always kept the loop on. Is this true?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #14
Balalayker

Excuse me for a stupid question but why not to simply take an ordinary non-G decimator and put it in the very end of your effects chain (into the loop?). Won't it filter the noise from everybody then?
Balalayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balalayker
Won't it filter the noise from everybody then?
Yep, though the 4 cable method would work better.

My understanding of the thing (I didn't really search stuff, I figured this out thinking about it) is that with the 4 cable method you're using the sound coming out of the fx loop as a sidechain for the reduction of the signal going into the amp's front end.

In short, when there's noise in the fx loop, the noise gets reduced before the fx loop.

And that's a pretty intelligent thing, 'cause it works better.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
black_box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Yep, though the 4 cable method would work better.

My understanding of the thing (I didn't really search stuff, I figured this out thinking about it) is that with the 4 cable method you're using the sound coming out of the fx loop as a sidechain for the reduction of the signal going into the amp's front end.

In short, when there's noise in the fx loop, the noise gets reduced before the fx loop.

And that's a pretty intelligent thing, 'cause it works better.

I thought the point of the 4 cable setup was that you can use the guitar's raw output (before any effects, pre-amp, etc. which would introduce noise) as a trigger for the suppression of the noise in the send/return loop. If the raw output is above a threshold, it just pipes the send signal (preferably the output of your last pedal in the FX loop) right back into the receive port of the FX loop on the amp. If the output falls below the threshold, then it suppresses the send signal to reduce the noise.

Basically, if you mute the strings (raw guitar output is cut and goes below threshold), then the decimator mutes everything going into the power amp section.

Last edited by black_box : 09-01-2014 at 03:57 PM.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

^ it either uses the signal going into the amp as sidechain for gain reduction in the fx loop, or the signal in the fx loop as sidechain for gain reduction before the amp's front end.

ISP isn't clear on what the send/return does, so we either get someone with one to run tests or we have to live with the question.
Or, well, we find info on the internet, but who knows if they're trustworthy...
Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #18
dspellman

If I'm using a gate, I'm using the four-wire G series.

Pull up ISP Technologies; they can explain it better.

http://www.isptechnologies.com/port...tor-pro-g-rack/
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #19
jamitfx

i'm not a noisegate fan (a crancked marshall has some noise and i like it), but the ISP g-string was a great pedal when i used it. It didn't kill any dynamics when playing hard or gently.
jamitfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #20
AndyGray
UG Addict

I own a G-String and it 100% does not have two gates.

It is intended to be the first effect in your chain, where the pedal "detects" the guitar signal.
The second run through the pedal is where the actual noise gate cuts sound.

It's main advantage over having a standard noise gate in the loop is that you do not need to adjust the threshold when going from clean to full gain.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: