Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
TJM2482
UG Monkey

Difference between regular/prestige Ibanez?

Hey everyone. I'm looking at various Ibanez guitars (RG and S series) and I'm wondering if the prestige neck is significantly better than the ones found on the non-prestige models. I ask because I'm looking to spend $600-900 or so on a guitar, which means I'd have to go used if I wanted a prestige. On the other hand, the S470/570/770 can all be had, new, for that price.

Thoughts? New non-prestige or used prestige?
TJM2482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Jemstar

Buy an RG550 770 or 540p from the early 90's and swap out the pick ups for whatever you like.... you'll have a nice guitar for an awesome price.
Jemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Dayn

I can't comment on the difference between the necks, but if you can get one in good condition, I'd go for a used Prestige. Higher quality materials and craftsmanship. If it's in good condition... get the higher-quality guitar.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
TJM2482
UG Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemstar
Buy an RG550 770 or 540p from the early 90's and swap out the pick ups for whatever you like.... you'll have a nice guitar for an awesome price.
I'm not too well versed in Ibanez's old locking trems. I loved my ZR but I'm guessing the older ones aren't as hassle-free. Are there any specific bridges I should be looking for? (or avoiding a la the Edge III in the budget RG's).

EDIT: I used to have a quilt top S470 that had the ZR.

Last edited by TJM2482 : 10-23-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

I was in your same position. I was considering an S770PB but found an S2170FB Prestige on eBay for about the same price with a case. Depending on the model, the necks won't be drastically different. My S prestige has a Wizard Prestige on it and it's a little bit chunkier than a regular Wizard II. Not super noticeable, but it is a little chunkier. I like it though and I prefer it to the Wizard II, even though I love that neck profile a lot. The newer prestiges and the necks on the RG Prestiges are all very similar though, give or take a tiny bit of difference. Some Prestige profiles are a little chunkier from what I remember though, but nothing too different. If you like the Wizard II, not much of anything on a Prestige is going to be so different that you'll hate it or dislike it. I could be wrong about some of the older profiles (like pre-2000 models) but for the most part, they're very close.

EDIT: If you were asking sheerly about quality, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the quality of the neck on my Prestige is leaps and bounds better than that of my other non-prestige Ibby's. It doesn't flex as much, holds up to tension changes better, is better finished (the fretwork alone warrants getting the Prestige.) Most of the quality that you will feel buying a Prestige will be the neck finishing and fret dressing. On top of that, the neck is just much much better on a Prestige overall. If you can find one in your price range, hit it up.
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube

Last edited by Krauser : 10-23-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
supersac

if you can get the prestige thry are made in japan with higher quality materials and better craftsmanship

and as for bridges on the prestige models they are considered as good if not better than an ofr
edge,edge pro etc are great bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
imbaguitar

The main thing, imo is that some non-prestige necks might suck, while all prestige necks are going to be good. better quality control, essentially. Also, on a scale from 0-10, prestige necks might be 8-10, while non-prestige might be 2-9, if you know what I mean. So I would definitely not want to buy a non-prestige without trying it, but a good one is the store would save you money.
Thats all from my experience..
imbaguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbaguitar
The main thing, imo is that some non-prestige necks might suck, while all prestige necks are going to be good. better quality control, essentially. Also, on a scale from 0-10, prestige necks might be 8-10, while non-prestige might be 2-9, if you know what I mean. So I would definitely not want to buy a non-prestige without trying it, but a good one is the store would save you money.

This man speaks the truth. While Prestige necks are overall a lot lot better, you may run into a good quality standard Ibanez neck in a store. They're pretty hit or miss but the good ones are pretty good. If you can play it and it's not a dud, you can save yourself some cash (unless you find a Prestige in that price range used). Ibby does have some cheaper Prestige models though like the RG1451. You could definitely find that used for cheap. It's only 800 new and is a solid MIJ Ibby.
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

PRS SE to MIA PRS.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Twistedrock
^^ Le prestige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
PRS SE to MIA PRS.

This man speaks truth.

Twistedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
DarthV

I own 3 Ibanez guitars and can tell you there is a big difference between the necks. My 540s (real wizard neck) and rga121 prestige have necks that are much superior to the one on my s470. For the price, you really can't beat the non prestige S guitars, but I'd rather buy a used mint RG1570 over a new s570/770. Or get a used rga121 if you don't need/want a trem. The older s540 sabers are amazingly thin/small guitars if you can find one of a good price. The lo-pro edge bridge they have is one of the best floating trems ever made. Haven't tried one of the newer S prestiges to be able to comment, but you're not going to find one for anywhere near your budget unless it's being sold out of the back of a white van

I don't really have any issues with the construction and finish quality of my MiK S470. It's still a very nice instrument. The ZR is very stable, but just don't have the same 'feel' as the lo-pro edge.

But you really need to try them out in person. You may not like the thin & flat neck on a rg1570 or rga121.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
TJM2482
UG Monkey

The RGA's are awesome - aren't they also mahogany with a maple top? I loved the tone from my old mahogany S470.

I think I'm gonna try and snag a prestige S or RG. Are the Korean prestiges (S2170 I think) of the same quality as the Japanese ones?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Not really IMO

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Prestige Ibanezes are incredible. Non Prestige Ibanezes aren't.

It's pretty cut and dried.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #15
TJM2482
UG Monkey

Geez, guitar prices sure have gone up over the years. I remember RG1570's used to be like $749 brand new :p

I'd absolutely love a prestige S2170, but I think they're Korean (not sure if there's much of a difference in quality). RGA would be a nice fine too fine they're mahogany with maple caps. Though some of the basswood RGs are pretty appealing
Old 10-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
DarthV

The Korean S prestiges are not the same quality as the MiJ Prestiges. I've seen some nasty pics of very shallow neck pocket routes on the MiK "prestige" S's.

TJM2482, not all RGAs had the maple tops. The RGA121H (which I have) were arched mahogany only bodies, no maple cap.

Offworld92, yeah but do you expect incredible from a sub $500 new price on a S420? When you compare it to any other new guitar in the same price range, they are very good values. Specially when you take the ZR trem into account. I definitely wouldn't pay the extra money on the s570/770 for the fancy finishes. Rather spend that money on a used prestige

Actually there was a 2010 s5470, with the new wizard prestiege HP neck, that went for under $900 on ebay about a month ago. That would have been one sexy guitar to pick up at the price.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
JELIFISH19

They're different profiles. The Prestige necks are thinner, wider, and flatter. They also have a different finish and better fretwork. Well worth the price. Plus, it's overall better quality.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
Pac_man0123
<3 Ibanez (and Musicman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbaguitar

I would dare to say that the worst Prestige neck you could find would be miles ahead of the best standard line neck you could find.

I used to hate Ibanez necks, but I was only playing the Korean and Indonesian ones. Once I played a Japanese one (7 string in fact- it was an RG7620)... well, you can guess what happened. *points to sig*
Pac_man0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #19
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Prestige is a newer Ibanez title for their Japanese line. If it existed in the 90s, every Japanese Ibanez would be called a Prestige. The modern Prestige has a 5 piece neck, and the newer tremolos that offer different features(many of which I love). The actual craftmanship of the older vs newer Japanese Ibanez is the same, though the newer ones solve some of the issues with necks warping because of the 3-5 piece neck contruction.

The AANJ, all access neck joint, is available on every Ibanez after 1993, except for a few reissues, and is far superior in terms of upper fret access to the old block neck joint.

Personally, if you can spend +$500, do it and get a Prestige. There are many more variations available on the used market, and the multi-piece necks are superior. If you do get an older Ibanez, stay away from the RG470 series, because they are standard load-out with a Lo-TRS tremolo, the worst trem on a Japanese RG(except for one year early 90s when they used the original Edge trem).

It shouldn't be hard to find a modern Prestige in your price range.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:18 AM   #20
PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted

Prestige Ibanez, just for starters, have way better quality control. I don't think there's a difference between Korean and Japanese Prestiges in that regard.

One thing that might also be of interest is the pickups, which they really skimped out on in the non-Prestige guitars. It's no biggie though, since Ibanez owners end up changing their pickups 80% of the time anyway. Just something to look out for if you don't feel like paying up to 200 bucks extra for a good set of pups.

Rate This Thread: