Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
billiegoat

lol fool visited my profile and yes he didn't try out due to the strict no drug policy
billiegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
srob7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleaze Disease
He didn't make it because he didn't actually try out.
I thought you said you knew so much about him...

I never said I know a lot about him....I said I've been listening to the RHCP since 94.......

So you guys really think he would have made it if he wasn't needled 24/7?
srob7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #23
srob7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiegoat
lol fool visited my profile and yes he didn't try out due to the strict no drug policy

So why does it matter if I visited your profile????? Just trying to see what level of playing you are actually at to think he is a technical player.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
ItsOnlyGNR
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by srob7001
Yea, sure... he's real technical.

I'll give him this....he is a great song writer.

I have quite a few instructional things at home with him giving lessons on his "technique". What a ****ing joke. I have never heard so many mistakes in one "lesson" from the teacher.

And so what if he tried out for Zappa plays Zappa....I guarantee he didn't make it becuase 1.he is sloppy, 2. all his improve stuff is always played in straight 8th notes and always in the blues box. I've seen Zappa plays Zappa twice now and I know he could never play that kind of music. At least not without a lot of help from the others in the band.

I've been listening to the RHCP since 94 so I know what he is capable of...and technical guitar stuff is not something he is very capable of. And I have heard a lot of his solo work as my buddie loves his music. Like I said..good song writer..not so great technique.

If his is in your top 10 then you must not listen to a wide variety of music.

Find me a video of him playing something really great without messing up and i will retract my statements.

I'm guessing you're a huge Yngwie Malmsteen fan... Just cuz John doesn't shred the hell out of his guitar doesn't mean he's not "technical." Jimi Hendrix was self-taught, but I guess that means he's not "technical" either, right?

You can call me:
C.J.
Curt
Curtis
ItsOnlyGNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #25
ItsOnlyGNR
Unregistered User

Quote:
I never said I know a lot about him....I said I've been listening to the RHCP since 94.......

So you guys really think he would have made it if he wasn't needled 24/7?

Last time I checked, doing heroin ruins your brain... He would probably be even bigger if he never got hooked. I mean, he's clean now, and Stadium Arcadium was by far one of RHCP's best albums, especially the guitar work.

You can call me:
C.J.
Curt
Curtis

Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR : 07-22-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #26
srob7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlyGNR
I'm guessing you're a huge Yngwie Malmsteen fan... Just cuz John doesn't shred the hell out of his guitar doesn't mean he's not "technical." Jimi Hendrix was self-taught, but I guess that means he's not "technical" either, right?

No, I'm not a Malmsteen fan....don't know asingle song or lick of his.

I don't consider someone that plays sloppy in an instructional video very technically gifted.

And the fact that I learned the entire 1st disc to Stadium Arcadium in 1 day tells me that the songs (which are well written and just great sons in general) are not that technically hard to play.

Also, Hendrix was good....on CD......almost everything you hear of him live sounds like ****. He just plays so sloppy live, but I am sure that is mainly due to the fact that he was always high on something.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #27
srob7001

Quote:
Last time I checked, doing heroin ruins your brain... He would probably be even bigger if he never got hooked. I mean, he's clean now, and Stadium Arcadium was by far one of RHCP's best albums, especially the guitar work.

It ruins more than your brain...it ruins your entire life.

My best friend from high school is hooked on the ****...trust me...I know what it does to people and it affects more than your brain.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #28
ChiliFan01

Quote:

WoW WoW WoW Wow Wow STOP!

Frusciante openly admits that without his period of addiction he wouldn't be as creative as he is now.

And FYI-It ruins veins not brains

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
ChiliFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #29
ItsOnlyGNR
Unregistered User

Quote:
And the fact that I learned the entire 1st disc to Stadium Arcadium in 1 day tells me that the songs (which are well written and just great sons in general) are not that technically hard to play.

That's not because John isn't technical, it's because of RHCP's style. They've never had complicated guitar parts. He wrote his guitar parts to be simple because there's only one guitar, so he needed to make it sound "thicker", for lack of better words... On that video you were talking about he says something about the song "Little Wing", right?.... I forget exactly what he says, but it had something to do with making one guitar sound like 2 or 3. And that's what he did.

EDIT: Here's what he said:

Quote:
... And it took me a while cuz it exists on so many levels. You've got the chord being played and then you got a lead part going on top of it and then you also get on top of the lead part these extra strings that are being barred that are on the high strings. It ends up sounding to somebody's ear who doesn't play guitar or is at a beginner level it really sounds like its 3 guitars at once.

You can call me:
C.J.
Curt
Curtis

Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR : 07-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #30
Volta_91
^ = Josh

JF's technique is as sloppy as hell.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................... .............................Time waits for nobody.

Volta_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #31
hippieboy444

To each his own. Stop trying to win the argument.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #32
notthenameiwant

technique means basically nothing, people need to shut the **** up about it and stop using it when trying to prove that frusciante isn't a good guitarist

he has one of the most respectable styles in music right now and that has absolutely nothing to do with technique

and saying he plays strict 8th notes and blues "box" things is probably the most ignorant thing i have read on here (thats saying a LOT). he often uses outside notes, but his music at the moment doesn't require the need to shred mindlessly using lydian... so theres no reason to... that doesn't mean he's a bad guitarist it just shows that he has self control and doesn't care about showing off and plays whats good for the song... just like flea. you also don't find many gutiarist/bassist combos that are so complimentary to eachother

all the haters in here's attitude towards music is boring and pretentious. get a soul

Last edited by notthenameiwant : 07-22-2009 at 07:08 PM.
notthenameiwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #33
billiegoat

Sorry about all this I looked at your profile and I'm a huge fan of alot of them especially Paul Gilbert. And I play well mostly chili's and Gilbert lol. I don't wanna have any confusion, sorry if i got a little heated. BTW here's a link of an improv he did not too long it's great I encourage you to check em all out. 3 especially for epic bass. Specially as this is all improv. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBt7A2GhG4&feature=related[/link]
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #34
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Reported this thread.

If you have nothing helpful to say keep it yourself.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #35
billiegoat

All this had been squashed? Or are you just report happy?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #36
Ninjake
Capt o' the gravy train!

Technique doesn't matter nearly as much as feeling.

Technique is the medium with which we convey emotions through our music, nothing more.

When you play with technique, and rules, theory and pre-learned finger movements bind you to your notes.

You have to let the music flow freely from your hands, and escape through the guitar.

Hendrix did this.
Cobain did this.
Frusciante does this.

I'm not saying people who focus on technical skill are worse at guitar or even music than those who don't, i'm saying they've lost sight of what music is.

That will be all, I have work in the AM.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Ninjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #37
Ganphra

HAHA, RHCP isn't representative at all of JF's technique. Look at his dozen or so single albums.... and you'll see his genuis. There are two reasons why he can't teach: First, he doesn't know theory much if any.... and his personality makes it difficult to talk to people... especially teach people. If you watch any interviews past 97 you'll see what I mean... He's very technically advanced.... but his lack of theory knowledge... and introverted personality makes it difficult for him to teach!
Ganphra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #38
Helpy Helperton

Quote:
It's not really a note though. It sounds like its just a bunch of string noise but it's not feedback. I've accidently done it before but I didn't know what I did... I'll try and find a video or something so you know what I'm tlaking about.

I know what you're talking about I was fascintated with the same thing for ages. Like a mixture of open strings, muted strings sometimes a bit of slide. I think of it like a lead in line before a solid note is struck, it's like in between beats. Hard to explain (otherwise someone would have explained it to me a long time a go lol)
Helpy Helperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #39
breadstick
Stop that. Now.

It's just string noise. I'm sure he doesn't do it intentionally. Just be more loose with your picking. He sort of strums his single note lines a lot.

Last edited by breadstick : 07-23-2009 at 08:58 AM.
breadstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #40
srob7001

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiegoat
Sorry about all this I looked at your profile and I'm a huge fan of alot of them especially Paul Gilbert. And I play well mostly chili's and Gilbert lol. I don't wanna have any confusion, sorry if i got a little heated. BTW here's a link of an improv he did not too long it's great I encourage you to check em all out. 3 especially for epic bass. Specially as this is all improv. [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNBt7A2GhG4&feature=related[/link]

It's all good my friend.

I don't think he is a terrible guitarist or anything at all, that's not what I was getting at in this thread. I actually love the chili peppers and I love his style of music, I personally just don't consider it that technically challenging. That's all I was getting at. And regardless of how technical I think he is....I still love listening to the music that he creates.

So enough hate and bickering...can't we all just get along??
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: