Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #21
Bostonrocks
UG God
 
Bostonrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anoka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Mark - I could maybe do screen shots of Audacity - since a lot of people use that.


Brett - also, you know I was just kidding in your original about you not helping - I was just trying to get your attention as usual



Yeah not problem man. I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not but I took it as one. but I really do want to help. if I can't get my music out there I might as well help others
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #22
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline



yeah, I miss the old one already, but this new one will be better. It will help lots of people before they even post and will hopefully last for years.
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #23
Bostonrocks
UG God
 
Bostonrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anoka, MN
+ 10
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
Bostonrocks
UG God
 
Bostonrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anoka, MN
Well. I will be the first to post a tone test....


http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play661586

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play661662


EDIT: sorry! double post FTL
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn


Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #25
Mark G
UG Nerd
 
Mark G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonrocks
Well. I will be the first to post a tone test....


http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play661586

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play661662


EDIT: sorry! double post FTL


Both very cool tones! Maybe a bit heavy on the bass, but I like it.
__________________
WTLTL 2011

Last edited by Mark G : 08-05-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #26
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
^^Bostonrocks - Your tone is fine IMO. Your Vox tone is bit brittle (or trebly and muddy) especially on Vox tone 2. I'm sure it sounds like sex live though. It's your mic IMO like we've discussed. I think with some input Mic Gain control like on a toneport, you could tame that for recording better. Otherwise, you know I think most all of your stuff Rocks.


Edit: He says too much bass I say too much treble. I'll listen thru headphones like I should have the first time. Then I'll shut up because I'm not the expert, Mark is.



Here mine, which you've heard before too (so has Mark) - Sludge 5
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play608036


If you want an example of possibly too much Mids - this is it


..
__________________

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 08-05-2009 at 08:07 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #27
Mark G
UG Nerd
 
Mark G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
^^Bostonrocks - Your tone is fine IMO. Your Vox tone is bit brittle (or trebly and muddy) especially on Vox tone 2. I'm sure it sounds like sex live though. It's your mic IMO like we've discussed. I think with some input Mic Gain control like on a toneport, you could tame that for recording better. Otherwise, you know I think most all of your stuff Rocks.


Edit: He says too much bass I say too much treble. I'll listen thru headphones like I should have the first time. Then I'll shut up because I'm not the expert, Mark is.



Here mine, which you've heard before too (so has Mark) - Sludge 5
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play608036


If you want an example of possibly too much Mids - this is it
..


Nah I'm not an expert. I know plenty of people who would kick my ass in a tone shootout. I also specialize in metal, I know significantly less about other genres.
__________________
WTLTL 2011
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #28
667
The Neighbor of the Beast
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston
My cube 30x (with my Schecter), f-fire, direct recording out into a usb audio interface.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play674695
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #29
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
I could write a small article about tubes, if allowed.
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:34 AM   #30
Mark G
UG Nerd
 
Mark G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
My cube 30x (with my Schecter), f-fire, direct recording out into a usb audio interface.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/.../all/play674695


Sounds like guitars are all to the left and drums all to the right...And the guitars are very thin sounding. Less gain, more mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarbiter7
I could write a small article about tubes, if allowed.


Why not? I'd say go for it, as long as its relevant for tone.
__________________
WTLTL 2011
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #31
unet
rah - sick
 
unet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Hey guys!

I won't be much help as far as technicalities are concerned (since i only use Audacity), but i can critique if any one needs it.

In, either way.
__________________
New Album Out Now!
unet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #32
darkarbiter7
UG's Doctor Whooves
 
darkarbiter7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere in time and space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G
Why not? I'd say go for it, as long as its relevant for tone.


Should I just write up an article and PM it to you?
__________________
Call me Wes.
Mah Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat-"Sadie"
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse-"The Crushinator"
1957 Gibson GA-5"
Gibson GA35-RVT
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
A pair of Ibanez TS9s (One of them Analogman modded)
darkarbiter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #33
LaidBack
Call me Mike
 
LaidBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Awesome, I never go around to posting clips in the original as this summer was a bit crazy for me, but tomorrow I finish my summer courses, I borrowed a SM58 from the other guitarist in my band (more of a vocal mic I know, but it is the best one I could get for free and on short notice) so I hope to get around to posting some before I head back to school.

Just a few questions, should be able to help some people as well as myself I'm sure. First, the SM58. It is more of a vocal mic, would this make any recording of mine drastically different? Also, recording with effects in the chain as opposed to placing them in during production; is one or the other frowned upon, or is it all preference?

Oh, forgot to mention, in the link in my sig there is a good guide on micing that you can add to J's micing post if you feel it is needed as well.
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #34
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Also Mark, you still have a few typos that I identified in the old thread


__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #35
unet
rah - sick
 
unet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
FIRST CLIP:

In a field of lilies
In my Profile.

Go!

(The primary tone is based off the sludge tone i'd posted a few weeks back)
__________________
New Album Out Now!
unet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #36
Mark G
UG Nerd
 
Mark G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also Mark, you still have a few typos that I identified in the old thread




I didn't fix them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarbiter7
Should I just write up an article and PM it to you?


Thats fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Awesome, I never go around to posting clips in the original as this summer was a bit crazy for me, but tomorrow I finish my summer courses, I borrowed a SM58 from the other guitarist in my band (more of a vocal mic I know, but it is the best one I could get for free and on short notice) so I hope to get around to posting some before I head back to school.

Just a few questions, should be able to help some people as well as myself I'm sure. First, the SM58. It is more of a vocal mic, would this make any recording of mine drastically different? Also, recording with effects in the chain as opposed to placing them in during production; is one or the other frowned upon, or is it all preference?

Oh, forgot to mention, in the link in my sig there is a good guide on micing that you can add to J's micing post if you feel it is needed as well.


Sm58 is very similar to the 57, so it shouldn't be that big of a difference. All will be fine as long as the micing position is right.

Having effects in the chain is fine, its the normal live setup. Did you read the guides in the first posts? I wrote a bit on post production effects.


I didn't see that micing guide, do you have a direct link?
__________________
WTLTL 2011

Last edited by Mark G : 08-06-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #37
unet
rah - sick
 
unet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Muddiness seems to prevail in my stuff.

How do i post EQ?
What software?

OH WAIT!!
THERE"S A BIG POST ABOUT IT!
__________________
New Album Out Now!
unet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #38
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Not a big deal Mark.

First sentance, last paragraph in Panning post and Fender in Voiceing post.
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #39
Ghold125
(")O.o(")
 
Ghold125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Unet, your tone is pretty thick, but you need to just lower the bass frq's just to clean things up. It has a lot of potential
__________________
...
Ghold125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #40
unet
rah - sick
 
unet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Thanks!
http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Going to try and use ReaEQ tomorrow on that track.
__________________
New Album Out Now!
unet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.