Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old Today, 01:53 PM   #1
Seref
Gob****e

Location: Miami, Florida, United States of America, North American Continent, Earth, Terrestrial Planets, Solar System, Local Cluster, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe, Multiverse, Omniverse, Eternity
Ebola

I hear a lot of people saying that something needs to be done, that people need to intervene, that we have to stop the spread, and that the rapid transmission is starting to become a real danger.

While I agree it would be nice to not have a global catastrophe, what can realistically be done about ebola? Every time an aid crew goes to try and provide some treatment or order, they either get attacked for trying to set up a quarantine or they get accused of being the ones giving the local population ebola. Any small quarantines have had ill people break out. Attempts at educating the population so far have failed--they continue to eat dead bats lying on the ground.

So for all the "something should be done"-ers, what is there to do, exactly? If you martially enforce a quarantine on a whole country you condemn those who are not yet sick. If there's no quarantine then one sick person in a busy airport will start an international disaster. And none of it matters anyway when the local population thinks the aid workers are the devil.

On a scale of 1-10, how ****ed is everything?

Guitar Build Fund: $I've lost count / ~$925.00

show
Seref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Well, iirc, US labs are working hard to develop more of a serum that can cure it. If you remember, there was enough serum to cure 2 of the US citizens who were infected with ebola; but when a third got infected, there wasn't enough for him.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : Today at 01:58 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 PM   #3
Wormholes
See you on the other side

Well the least we could do is stop bringing those infected to parts of the world where no one is affected.
Wormholes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #4
archangels
Made from Real Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientists
You should seriously start freaking out about global warming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The general public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientists
Okay, don't freak out about Ebola. We've got it under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The general public
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE

Old Today, 02:20 PM   #5
Baby Joel
silently leaving the room

The largest problem is that in areas most affected (Liberia and Sierra Leone), they are so war-torn that they don't trust anyone. So many people there think that the ebola virus itself is some sort of elaborate white-man hoax designed to put them in submission or something. There's pretty huge conspiracies over it. The other problem is that because they're so war-torn, they don't have really any decent health care service. They don't have health education. They don't have the training.

In Liberia a few weeks back, one of the nurses at the main ebola facility/hospital made a public statement saying how it's all a hoax and ebola isn't real. That prompted the massive break out, where people basically broke into the hospital, and got everyone out. Everyone with ebola. Out on the streets. So that's a case of even one of the health workers, who probably wasn't really that qualified to begin with, making things worse.

The countries are doing a vaguely decent job at containing it. Although the cases within countries are growing, it isn't spreading out as much as it could, and that's pretty important. So I guess instead of having the world affected by this, it'll just be West Africa that dies off

I don't really know what can be done. It's at about a level 10 over there, honestly. The Western world just has to keep trying to do what it can

scary stuff honestly
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #6
theogonia777
Professional Musician

it would be really cool to get ebola and survive just because that would be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
That's right I have a four inch penis.

Now you have no excuse... | On Toni Loomi - Pink Floyd and Jazz
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:32 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Joel
In Liberia a few weeks back, one of the nurses at the main ebola facility/hospital made a public statement saying how it's all a hoax and ebola isn't real. That prompted the massive break out, where people basically broke into the hospital, and got everyone out. Everyone with ebola. Out on the streets. So that's a case of even one of the health workers, who probably wasn't really that qualified to begin with, making things worse.

Jeese, that's fucked up. "It's all a hoax. All those dying people in there...they aren't even sick. It's just a hoax. BREAK THEM OUT!" Come on, unqualified nurse; use your eyes, please!

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old Today, 02:40 PM   #8
UltimateGuizar
user title pending.....

They probably should get local trusted people/teachers to educate villages on how to avoid being contaminated and work from there. If they gain the trust of the locals then there's a better chance for containment.
Also get rid of that nurse, ffs.
UltimateGuizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:41 PM   #9
Dregen
andy, you're a star

i died from ebola
Dregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:40 PM   #10
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateGuizar
They probably should get local trusted people/teachers to educate villages on how to avoid being contaminated and work from there. If they gain the trust of the locals then there's a better chance for containment.

Ok...but how do you get the "local trusted people/teachers" to trust Western aid workers long enough to properly educate them?

Bandcamp

Old Today, 04:42 PM   #11
slapsymcdougal
Funyuns ho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Toshan
Quality polis, MacGregor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurfzone
you're winning this argument and i don't like it.
slapsymcdougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:53 PM   #12
VillainousLatin
That Latino Guy

Nothing should be done, let nature do it's thing.
Old Today, 05:06 PM   #13
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

We already have a thread on this.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: