Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
TLGuitar

Help me assess a Strat?

Well, I got an American Stratocaster which I don't play right now, and I've tried to sell it before but couldn't close a deal.

It's a 1992 American Stratocaster from the Floyd Rose Classic Series (the name is signed on the headstock). It came with an original (rather than licensed) FR and an HSS configuration with a DiMarzio Puff-Pro and two fender singles, and it's in a very good condition. It's painted black. The series lasted from 1992-2007 and is now discontinued.

It sounds very good, but for me the FR was rather more cumbersome than necessary. While leaving an extra guitar with a FR for the casual effects and playing tricks in a record could be beneficial, I don't use it as the main guitar and it's somewhat money currently going to waste (I got it as a present for one of my birthdays).

How much would you say such a guitar would be worth? Perhaps I'd be better with keeping it as it might raise in value?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TLGuitar : 04-14-2014 at 04:40 PM.
TLGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
ryanbwags

Well, there's one listed on eBay for $1300 US. No one has bid on it yet, though.
Hard to say, it's really only worth what someone will pay for it. That's a cop out answer, but it's true. There is an absence, at least in my town, of good brick and mortar shops to check this at. If there's a reputable guitar shop in town that's been there for awhile, maybe go ask them.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Cajundaddy

Probably $800 top dollar. Someone will want it for shredding.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #4
TLGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy
Probably $800 top dollar. Someone will want it for shredding.

And that would make it cheaper? Cause that's much less than the average Standard. Let alone with a custom installation of a FR. I know that it's neither "vintage" nor brand new, but it's in pretty much top condition and while I don't know how much of a "collectable" it could count, it's still from the first batch of a discontinued series.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Cajundaddy

A used guitar is a used guitar unless it was owned by Hendrix or someone. The last true collectible rolled off the assy line in 1969 with very few exceptions. I bought my STD USA Strat for $450 in v good condition. I bought my nearly new Std USA Tele for $600.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV
Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
TLGuitar

About your first comment - That's overstretched. Many people would probably put some extra dollar for a good condition 70's guitar, even if it doesn't have Hendrix's bite-marks on it. And about your deal - well, first you might have gotten a good price, but again - it's not exactly the same as you bought the standard versions. It's not a Clapton or something, but it's still a FR (more money) from a discontinued series.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

It would probably go on Craigslist for $750 to the right person, $600 to everyone else.

Source: I know more current Strats on Craigslist than US Senators

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
ryanbwags

The floyd is also a tricky bit. Strat purists will usually want the vintage fender trem on there and, correct me if I'm wrong, "shredders" will be after more of a superstrat. Craigslist would be a good way to try and see what people will pay for it. Put it there for more than you think it's worth (there's got to be a number in your head) and see what people offer for it.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGuitar
About your first comment - That's overstretched. Many people would probably put some extra dollar for a good condition 70's guitar, even if it doesn't have Hendrix's bite-marks on it. And about your deal - well, first you might have gotten a good price, but again - it's not exactly the same as you bought the standard versions. It's not a Clapton or something, but it's still a FR (more money) from a discontinued series.

You can always ask more but it probably won't sell for more. If you want to sell it, price it to sell now. I just sold a pristine 2009 Les Paul Studio Sunburst that sells new for $1300. It was in like-new condition and a very nice guitar but we were not in love. I got $750 on CL and I think it was a fair deal. A guitar usually loses 30% in value the day you take it home from the store.

I would never pay a premium for a 70s Gibson or Fender because most of them were schite quality. A recent vintage MIM Strat is usually nicer than a 70s Strat. I have a 79 MIJ Lawsuit 335 that plays great but is only worth about $400. No market demand.

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 04-14-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
TLGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
It would probably go on Craigslist for $750 to the right person, $600 to everyone else.

Source: I know more current Strats on Craigslist than US Senators

I didn't know US Senators had knowledge about Strats from Craigslist. The more you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
The floyd is also a tricky bit. Strat purists will usually want the vintage fender trem on there and, correct me if I'm wrong, "shredders" will be after more of a superstrat. Craigslist would be a good way to try and see what people will pay for it. Put it there for more than you think it's worth (there's got to be a number in your head) and see what people offer for it.

Well, it does have the DiMarzio on the bridge. You can produce enough of a tone from it.

Anyway, I was basically offered more than what has been said here but it didn't go through in the end.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
JustRooster
Organ Donor

List it for $750, expect to sell it for $600.

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
Fumble fingers

put it on ebay with low starting bid , then sit back and watch
Fumble fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
JustRooster
Organ Donor

What Fumble said, as well. That could go either way, though. You may walk away a winner of a $950 bidding war, or begrudgingly have to ship it after someone knabbed it for $400.

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #14
TLGuitar

OK, here's the deal. As I'm not a USA resident, I probably won't sell it through eBay or Craigslist. About my previous attempt at selling it - if I remember correctly, some guy wanted to buy it for 3,300 NIS which would currently exchange for about 950$. The prices here are also higher, but still. I think you underestimate your suggestions or don't know what guitar I'm talking about.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #15
Cajundaddy

Markets vary a lot based on location so always a good idea to include that information in your OP. In SoCal a FR HSS Strat is very common and often sells for $500-$600. It may be very different where you live.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #16
TLGuitar

Well, could be, but it still might be a different guitar than mine.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
EyeballPaul

American made guitars seem to go for higher prices outside of America.US guitars are like the holy grail to me being British.You can't get an American strat here even second hand for less than around £700($1170.70USD) minimum.

"Not anyone can become a great artist,But a great artist can come from anywhere"- Anton Ego

Last edited by EyeballPaul : 04-15-2014 at 07:36 PM.
EyeballPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
dannyalcatraz

Reverb.com is also a good site to try to sell it. You might also inquire of Elderly Instruments or Guitars & Effects.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #19
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGuitar
OK, here's the deal. As I'm not a USA resident, I probably won't sell it through eBay or Craigslist. About my previous attempt at selling it - if I remember correctly, some guy wanted to buy it for 3,300 NIS which would currently exchange for about 950$. The prices here are also higher, but still. I think you underestimate your suggestions or don't know what guitar I'm talking about.

dude we know the guitar it's just that non traditional strats just don't command as much money plain and simple. in a foreign market they may go for more but not in the US. $950 seems pretty good to me.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
TLGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
dude we know the guitar it's just that non traditional strats just don't command as much money plain and simple. in a foreign market they may go for more but not in the US. $950 seems pretty good to me.

Well, some acquaintance of my brother, who's an aspiring luthier if I remeber correctly, has looked at some photos of the guitar and suggested asking 5,000NIS for it (it's over 1,400USD). That did seem overpriced, even though he probably meant to leave some negotiable area. I planned to probably get something like 4,000NIS for it (around 1,100USD). The thing is that most people who replied wanted to trade. I currently use a Les Paul Studio instead - strictly speaking, the Strat probably sounds better (but that's subjective), just that it's a real hassle with the FR. It probably also adds unnecessary ringing to it due to its mechanism. So back then I didn't look for a trade (and sometimes it's hard to say what trade would really be worthy), but I may consider one at the moment. I just need to get it set-up so I could upload some demonstration playing it. People are probably less reluctant on checking a guitar they've heard being played (just that I have a seriously lousy amp and I usually play using an interface+Amplitube, so it might seem less "authentic").

Last edited by TLGuitar : 04-16-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Rate This Thread: