Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #1
BlackFalcon17

Question Guitar with Passives for Metal

I'm looking to get a new guitar later this year. I want one with passives since my current one has EMG Actives. I play mostly mid-high gain metal type stuff, and it'll be left in drop C. $800 max budget. I don't really have a preference regarding shape, but I'm not a fan of heavy guitars. Also prefer not to have a tremolo, as I mostly likely wont use it, but if it has one it'll be blocked. Any suggestions?
BlackFalcon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Fernandes has you covered.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com

And their online store is clearing out some stuff:
www.fernandesguitarshop.com

Also check out Deans in that price range, especially models in the '79s and Chicago series.

DBZ is another company with solid options.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-25-2015 at 12:19 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:20 AM   #3
BlackFalcon17

Whoa, these guitars look pretty damn nice. Where are they based?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:56 AM   #4
breadfan82
UG's Undertaker

Some of the LTD guitars are inside that price range. And the EC models have the classic single cutaway shape without Les Paul weight.
Jackson RRT-5
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
breadfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFalcon17
Whoa, these guitars look pretty damn nice. Where are they based?

Fernandez is Japanese, but like many companies, much of their production comes out of South Korea.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-25-2015 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Idiotic typo!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #6
K33nbl4d3
Not sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
much of their production comes out of North Korea.

Ummm...

(Also I thought most of their production was in China?)
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
TheLiberation

Also, I'm pretty sure Schecter is an obvious option to consider here. I think all sorts of Blackjack series are a reasonable option, as there are many models with passive pickups (SD Nazgul/Sentient mostly), and also there's the Banshee series with SD Nazgul/Sentient. If you like heavy stuff and want to tune to drop C, I'm pretty sure they'll do great.
TheLiberation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #8
Kevätuhri
?

The Schecters are indeed nice due to their amazing stock pickups. You can't get a much better set for metal than the Nazgul/Sentient pair. I've also heard a lot of good things about Fernandez. However, both Dean and LTD are brands that I wouldn't recommend, even though I've not owned a guitar from either brand, I've heard a ton of stories about them falling apart pretty quickly. LTD's I've tried have also felt pretty cheap compared to other guitars in their price range. But that comes down to just personal opinion, a lot of people love them.
Kevätuhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
TheLiberation

Haven't played either unfortunately, but while I heard mixed opinions about Dean, I've generally heard very solid opinions about LTDs in this price range.

By the way, to follow up my previous post, my suggestions:
http://schecterguitars.com/internat...13-12-19-detail - <3 gorgeous, I played the active version and it's immensely comfortable to play.
http://schecterguitars.com/internat...jack-c-1-detail - same as above.
http://schecterguitars.com/internat...13-12-05-detail - also absolutely gorgeous, although the Full Shred pickup is not to everyone's liking as it has a more bassy sound, while the Nazgul is far sharper-sounding and more trebly.

But either way, all three are around the $800 area if I'm correct, and are definitely awesome.
TheLiberation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
ThunderPunk

Danelectro Hodad? Lipstick humbuckers? Those are metal right?

You could look into the Fender standard telecaster HH. They are going for around 500 right now. That leaves you room to get a nice hard case and do a humbucker upgrade. It's a hardtail. And it comes in either black, white, or silver.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Squier Jazzmaster Vint Mod. Peavey 6505, Crate BV-120H, Sovtek MIG-100, Peavey Ultra 112, Egnater Tweaker 40H.
ThunderPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #11
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Fernandez is Japanese, but like many companies, much of their production comes out of North Korea.

SOUTH Korea.

Last edited by dspellman : 05-25-2015 at 10:11 AM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #12
BlackFalcon17

Hahaha nice meme. I have a lot to think about now. Because I own Ibanez guitars and thery are comfortable for me, I think I was having a hard time selecting another brand. Now that my mind is more open, I guess I have a lot of guitars to try out!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33nbl4d3
Ummm...

(Also I thought most of their production was in China?)

Damn! I meant SOUTH Korea. (Fixed.)

The "X" models are almost definitely Chinese, and the top end is Japanese, but everything in between is MiSK, AFAIK.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevätuhri
However, both Dean and LTD are brands that I wouldn't recommend, even though I've not owned a guitar from either brand, I've heard a ton of stories about them falling apart pretty quickly. LTD's I've tried have also felt pretty cheap compared to other guitars in their price range. But that comes down to just personal opinion, a lot of people love them.

Low-end Deans- as in $500 or less- are generally pretty terribad, and I wouldn't recommend one. But I own an EVO and a high-end Caddy that are quite nice. In the $800+ range, they're worth considering.

FWIW, my EVO was a $500 guitar...in 2003. That's @$650 in today's currency, so it doesn't fall under my ban.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
BlackFalcon17

TheLiberation, looking at the Schecter guitars, and none of the ones that are being sold have the Nazgul/Sentient pickups like on the Schecter website. Has it changed?

Edit: like for the Banshee, "Seymour Duncan JB SH-4/'59 SH-1N." Are they the same thing?

Last edited by BlackFalcon17 : 05-25-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #16
Vassilis1981

Stay away from schecter. Although they look great they are cheap made guitars.I bought a hellraiser hybrid c1 that schecter prices at about 1600,00 euro. After a month the carbon binding on the headstock started to winkle out at the edge. Of course they didn’t replace it neither fix it. The authorized distributer just put some resin and said to me to live with the flaw. Cheap construction, cheap work , awful service and attitude.
Vassilis1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
DanyFS

Quote:
TheLiberation, looking at the Schecter guitars, and none of the ones that are being sold have the Nazgul/Sentient pickups like on the Schecter website. Has it changed?

Edit: like for the Banshee, "Seymour Duncan JB SH-4/'59 SH-1N." Are they the same thing?

SH-4 is the bridge pickup, '59 is the neck pickup. They are different pickups that will give you different sounds obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassilis1981
Stay away from schecter. Although they look great they are cheap made guitars.I bought a hellraiser hybrid c1 that schecter prices at about 1600,00 euro. After a month the carbon binding on the headstock started to winkle out at the edge. Of course they didn’t replace it neither fix it. The authorized distributer just put some resin and said to me to live with the flaw. Cheap construction, cheap work , awful service and attitude.

You may have got a lemon. It happens But they should have fixed it if it was still in warranty.
DanyFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #18
BlackFalcon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyFS
SH-4 is the bridge pickup, '59 is the neck pickup. They are different pickups that will give you different sounds obviously.

What I meant to ask is if the pair is identical to the Nazgul/Sentient, but with a different name. I'm guessing the Nazgul/Sentient set is for the newest models and the places I'm looking at (Guitar Center, Zzounds, Musicians Friend) don't have them yet.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #19
DanyFS

Quote:
What I meant to ask is if the pair is identical to the Nazgul/Sentient, but with a different name. I'm guessing the Nazgul/Sentient set is for the newest models and the places I'm looking at (Guitar Center, Zzounds, Musicians Friend) don't have them yet.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood you. I looked around the web and yes, they are like the modern version of the SH4/'59. I guess there should be some slight differences in sound, but about that I'm not sure because I never tried the Nazgul/Sentient set, so I can't help you with that any further.
DanyFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #20
highgear

I've liked about every Schecter I've played, but... They've ALL been heavy. Like absurdly heavy.
highgear is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: