Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #1
Sic(27)

Question Help 7 String

hey guys I'm deciding between 2 guitars right now, an Agile 727 or an agile 725. I play a 25.5 and 24.75 guitars right now ( Fender and Gibson) but I'm worried about the 727 scale length. Im 6,3 16 years old and i have medium size hands, would those obscure jazz cords and bending pose a problem with the 27 scale? Or am I just over thing it and should just buy the 27 scale
Sic(27) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #2
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

The 27 inch scale is a bit bigger, yes. Nothing you can't get used to, though. It's all about what tuning you're going to be in and what strings you use. If you're going to drop tune at all, get the 27, better intonation on the lows. I, however play only standard tuning with my 7, so 25.5 is good enough for me.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #3
dspellman

You won't have an issue with a 27" scale, especially past the first five cowboy chord frets. In fact, you may decide it's much more comfortable to work with. Two stop bends are going to require a wider bend than what you'd do on a Les Paul, of course, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly. Jim Soloway is a very accomplished jazz player and builds his own guitars, and a lot of those are 27" tuned standard.

One thing you'll definitely notice is how piano-like the bottom end sounds compared to a 24.75" scale.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

It shouldn't be an issue, no. You should adjust to it quick enough, I'd imagine, especially with your height.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #5
Heminator89

I had the same issue. It seems funny for the first couple of days but you'll get used to it. Chords and bends will pose a problem for a first couple of days only. i would suggest you get a lighter gauge like 9ers to get used to the tension first and then go towards the heavier gauge should you feel so. The 27" scale is more versatile, you can tune down very comfortably and have perfect intonation on it. Go for it! Have fun!

Comments and feedback welcome!
Heminator89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 PM   #6
Sic(27)

thanks guys you rock
Sic(27) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:23 PM   #7
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I would go for the 27". The difference isn't that noticeable in playability, but the sonic difference is due to the higher string tension.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: