Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Krilce

Choosing a new guitar

Hey. So, after saving up some money to get an electric guitar, I've come to the point where I need to choose one. Right price would be somewhere around 400e. I've been reading reviews over the net, and I've seen some positive things about Epiphone LP Standard, with Grover tuners. Now, a friend of mine told me that I could also get Charvel Desolation DS-2. After reading some reviews, I've seen that they are also positive, especially user ones, but the thing is, it has a bit bland sound compared to LP Standard model.

So, I'll need help choosing between these two. Maybe someone could recommend something even better, or just different. I'm looking for a versatile guitar, meaning I'd be able to play quite a few genres (although I prefer metal).

Thanks.
Krilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

I'm assuming you want something

The Epiphone LP Standard is a solid choice. You need to try the one you're interested in buying, before getting it though. I'd also get different pickups for it. The stock ones are OK as far as stock pickups in guitars at that price range go, but they're not too well voiced for tons of gain. Nevertheless, it's a good little LP copy.

The Desolation series isn't something I'm very fond of.

If you're willing to go used, you might have a lot more options available to you, but it depends on whether you're willing to risk getting a guitar that might have a hidden mechanical problem (as that's quite often why they're being sold in the first place) and it depends on your location.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 09-23-2014 at 08:23 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Krilce

I wanted to get used one at first, but after looking at what's being offered, and for what price, I'd rather get a new one.
Krilce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
bcrichy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krilce
I wanted to get used one at first, but after looking at what's being offered, and for what price, I'd rather get a new one.

If there is a couple guitar shops (Preferably guitar center) near you Krilce, i would snoop around there and play guitars and see what you like. I would definitely go for a used guitar that is in nice shape but its a good guitar overall.

Knowing you play mostly metal, Bc rich has some slick designs that are budget guitars but nice. ibanez RG's are around 400 and they are VERY nice! i have one myself and they sound amazing ranging in all tones/music.
bcrichy123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: