Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
paul.housley.7

trade offer - considering it for all the wrong reasons

I know I have a tendency to write long stories, so I bolded the important part.

I have a friend who loves Cradle of Filth and asked if I'd be willing to trade or sell my Paul Allender model PRS.
I don't know any cradle of filth songs and I honestly only bought the guitar because it specs out similarly to a PRS SE Cu24, and the price was incredibly good. (about 150 bucks new)

So I'm considering making the guitar available to him because I think he'll appreciate it more than I would. I'm not a big fan of active pickups anyways. I was looking at strats, teles, and upgraded Les Pauls. He offered up his own Schecter. Which model? I forgot! That's fine though - cause I'm not likely to take the trade offer. I played a Hellraiser at the GC and I liked it a lot but I don't think it's my kind of guitar any more than the Allender PRS is.

I was thinking about maybe doing some kind of multi-part guitar exchange. If I sold the PRS to him, then maybe I could buy myself an Agile 3200? Unfortunately, I can't find an Agile to play anywhere. I don't know what the slim neck and wide neck profiles feel like. I love the look and I like the idea of the axcess style neck heel, but I feel like I'd be taking a risk if I purchased one. I know they have a good rep, but are they as nice as a good playing PRS SE? Can anyone tell me about the difference between Agile's version of wide necks, standard necks and slim necks?

If I got the Agile and liked it, then I could sell my Epiphone Les Paul and maybe track down a Mexi-Strat. Then I'd have my LP and my Strat.
It sounds good in theory but it all depends on whether I'd like the Agile.
Would you?
Is there any other reason to think I'll regret giving up the PRS? The bat inlays are pretty cool. I can't help but wonder if these would be sought-after guitars in 20-30 years.

TLDR: Compare PRS SE with wide-thin neck to an Agile 3200 with any of the various neck profiles.
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
monwobobbo

dude you need to get your self straight on what you want out of a guitar. I see a vast amount of confusion and that leads to bad decisions. the PRS was a steal at $150 so I hope you plan on getting more than that (unless this is a cheapo model I'm not familiar with). you have a LP but want a LP and maybe a strat ? huh?
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Normally I don't advise buying blind. FWIW though, Agiles tend to get good reviews all around. Really it would be up to you if you felt like the guitar is better than a PRS SE. I doubt that PRS will be a 'sought after' guitar either so I wouldn't worry about that stuff.

Problem is, good luck getting some of that cash back if you're gonna flip the Agile cause you don't like it.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
JustRooster
Organ Donor

What does the Agile do for your that the PRS doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
JGM258

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
Problem is, good luck getting some of that cash back if you're gonna flip the Agile cause you don't like it.

Actually Agile guitars (mint) resell for 75-90% of their original price.

Here is the tipping point paul, do you LIKE the feel and play of the PRS? Do you identify yourself with the guitar and do you really enjoy playing it? If your answer is yes, you should keep it, or you may have future regrets.

I wouldn't sweat taking a "risk" buying the Agile new, worst case scenario you are out $15-50 for return shipping if you don't like it. The neck will be thicker then the PRS' though.
JGM258 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
paul.housley.7

I have an Epiphone Les Paul and a PRS SE Paul Allender.

I bought the Allender blind. I did it mostly because of the great price. It was too good to turn down. It turned out to be a great playing guitar but I don't particularly like the tone. I've never formed a particularly strong bond with it.
The Epiphone was my first guitar. It plays okay but it's not as nice a player as the PRS. I am fond of it and I think it sounds pretty good considering the price I paid.
I'd like to get a Les Paul that's a little bit nicer than my Epiphone.

I didn't initiate the discussion. I'm only considering it because the Allender is a guitar that appeals to a pretty specific market and I have an interested buyer. Do I negotiate with the guy who knows what it is and wants it or risk trying to sell the guitar a few years down the road, and maybe have to convince someone that the bats on the fretboard are a great look for a 46 year-old?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
dspellman

I have three Agile AL series guitars. Two have very standard necks, one is a wide-thin (1 3/4" width at the nut, 17mm depth at the first fret). Generally speaking, Agile necks are very comfortable to play UNLESS you're one of the very weak- or small-handed folks who needs the very thick base-ball bat size necks to give your palms enough purchase to get enough leverage to do bends. Generally, medium to XXlarge and strong hands will do well with nearly anything if they've got reasonably decent technique.

Okay, here's the dope on neck profiles.

Get yourself a contour gauge from your local hardware store.http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools...n/dp/B00004T7RA Put a couple of pieces of blue painter's tape on the back of your guitar at the 1st fret and at the 12th fret. Take a contour of the neck at each position, lay the contour gauge down on a piece of 1/4" graph paper and take a straight down picture of it. Have someone with the guitars you're interested in do the same and then share the photos.

I usually measure guitar's neck depth from the center of the fretboard (not the fret) next to the first fret to the back of the neck where your thumb would normally live (if you had GOOD technique <G>). I've got a digital caliper that will do that.

An Agile "wide" neck has a 1 3/4" wide nut, and the string spacing is slightly wider as well. By the time you get to the 12th fret, any extra width is pretty much gone, and by the time the strings hit the stock bridge, everything's back to normal. You get a bit more space available for working with chords. If you've got largish hands, that can be nice. Gibson's new guitars have wider necks at the nut, but their string spacing hasn't gotten wider. Gibsons OLD guitars had "nibs" that covered the fret ends, and their string spacing for a guitar that had a 1 11/16ths" nut width was actually identical to that on most other guitars' 1 5/8" nut width. Again, by the time you get down around the 12th fret, almost all differences are gone. I have one wide (1 3/4") Agile neck, and I like it, but I get along just fine with neck widths down to 1 9/16ths" (an old '70's Gibson LS6). In that particular case, there's no neck binding, no nibs, and the *actual* string spacing is about where it would be with a wider-nut Gibson that HAS nibs/neck binding. Confused yet?

It gets even more interesting.

The "thin" or "slim" profile necks from Agile have a depth of about 17mm at the 1st fret and 21mm at the 12th. One inch is 25.4mm. So 17mm - 0.669" and 21mm = 0.827"

Current standard Agile necks are around 21.5mm (0.846") at the first fret and 23.5mm (0,925") at the 12th (according to their specs).

Here are some measurements taken AT THE FIRST FRET of some various Gibson necks:

RR8 - - - - - - - .925"
R7 - - - - - - - .920"
R9 - - - - - - - .910"
50s Early - - - .900" (from Gibson C/S)
50s Rounded - - .870" (from my 2008 SG)
50s Rounded - - .818" (from Gibson C/S)
30/60 - - - - - .800"
60s Slim taper - .765"

And there's yet more. Now you have to deal with the SHAPEs of the various neck profiles <G>!

dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.housley.7
[B]I was thinking about maybe doing some kind of multi-part guitar exchange. If I sold the PRS to him, then maybe I could buy myself an Agile 3200? Unfortunately, I can't find an Agile to play anywhere. I don't know what the slim neck and wide neck profiles feel like. I love the look and I like the idea of the axcess style neck heel, but I feel like I'd be taking a risk if I purchased one. I know they have a good rep, but are they as nice as a good playing PRS SE?

Give someone your approximate location; maybe someone here with an Agile will volunteer to meet you. Better yet, ask that question over on the agile guitar forum. I was lucky; I got to play a half dozen early Agiles before I was ever actually interested in them.

The Axcess neck heel makes ALL the difference if you're working in the upper frets, and even the stubby horn is a benefit in that regard. I have an Axcess Custom (Gibson), and I think the 3200 is better in a lot of ways.

One, the guitar has neck-through construction, which makes it inherently stronger than the set-neck Gibson Axcess with its pared-down neck heel.

Two, the Agile is a full-thickness guitar (the Axcess has a thinner than normal body).

Three, the Agile is a SOLID body guitar (if you order a custom from Kurt, you can get one with the upper bout chambered), and it can be heavy. The Axcess I have is chambered, and it's almost too light. The Lifeson version of the Gibson Axcess still has the thin body, but it's a solid body guitar. If I were buying another Gibson, I'd get that one. The Agile will be heavier than the PRS.

Four, and this is a preference, the fretboard is real ebony, the inlays are real MOP , the radius is flatter (13.7" radius vs. 12 on most Gibbies or 10" on most PRS USA guitars) and the frets are jumbo. You can get stainless frets if you order a custom. Not available from Gibson or PRS (mostly).

I'd put the Agile down as a better-playing guitar than the PRS in part due to the neck heel and the cutaway horn shape. The little dent in the top of the cutaway of most PRS really doesn't make much difference in playability.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
paul.housley.7

Thanks Dspellman!

I think i know my answer. I think that if I had a nicer Les Paul I probably wouldn't have any concerns at all about selling the PRS. I'll take your advice and try to find one.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #10
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

If it means anything to you, a friend and I ordered our Agiles blind. I ordered an AL2000 hours after trying one, my buddy ordered his 3100 after trying my 2000(mines a Goldtop though!). Both guitars are very sweet players, regardless of price.

Rate This Thread: