Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
Rhoads_1096

Question on Les Pauls

Alright first things first I need a nice guitar with two humbuckers and am pretty much dead set on a Gibby LP but don't really know what model yet. The most I could spend would be 1500 so that limits me to studios and used traditionals. I just want to know what the general consensus is on the jump in quality from a Studio to a Traditional... I know that the traditional has all the bling but other than that what are the major differences in build quality, materials and such.... In short it comes down to a - Used Studio Deluxe 60s for $950 - Used LP Traditional 2011 $1500 - 2015 LP Studio $1300

BTW im currently running a Fender American Deluxe Strat through a Vox AC30 with an ocd and peppermint fuzz up front... I play a lot of bluesy rock and such
Rhoads_1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:14 AM   #2
chrismendiola

The Studio Deluxe II 1960s is my favorite Les Paul. I've heard people say that the Studio is to the Standard as the Studio Deluxe is to the Traditional. I've also heard people say that the difference between Studio models and the Standard/Traditional models is a bunch of faff, though from what I can see, the specs are really different.

What I can say for sure is that neck binding is there for the higher end models. Others will be of more help to you, but I hope I can help by merely saying I think the Studio Deluxe '60s is a great guitar and I'd like to buy one eventually, even though I usually really dislike LPs.
chrismendiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
Ironliftr3

I've played a Les Paul Studio since 1998 (bought new). Like it so much that I bought a second, used, 1998 moded as a backup a few years later (different color). I was 100% happy with these guitars, and hadn't played anything I liked more.

About two months ago, I decided to treat myself to a flame top Traditional. I bought a used 2011 in mint condition for $1700. At first, I wasn't in love with it, and thought I'd probably continue to play my Studio more often than the Traditional.

After a few weeks of playing it, and letting my hands get used to it, I love this guitar. It just feels more 'finished' than the Studio's do. My Studio's just feel like they require more effort to play.

Tone wise, they are comparable, although they all have different pick up configurations.

Summary - they are both great guitars, it depend on your budget. I think I paid $850 for my used Studio, in near mint condition. Is my Traditional worth twice that? That's a tough one. For me, I'm glad I did it because I wanted a nice flame top on a guitar that would keep me happy for a long time, and looked as good as it played. If a $1500 is going to break the bank, save your cash and get a used Studio.

I'll also add that if I was to gig consistently again, I'd have a hard time taking out the Traditional. I beat the hell out of my Studios over the years, so cosmeticaly they have some wear. I wouldnt' want that kind of wear on my Traditional.
Ironliftr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
dspellman

I've got a pretty good stack of Gibson guitars. Most recent *new* purchase was an >$4K Axcess Custom (multilayer white binding, ebony f/b, gold hardware, etc.). My personal feeling is that, in 2015, you're spending $3500 or over to get a Gibson that has the quality levels that Gibson became known for. Downscale from there, the Traditionals have all the Les Paul basics, the Studios are a cheaper clone.

I've heard people who can't afford the difference between a Studio and a Traditional refer to things like binding as "bling" -- but the whole business of buying a Gibson logo is "lifestyle" and "bling" and "tradition" anyway. There's a whole lot of Gibson Marketing that's gone into making you think you need a *Gibson* LP, and if you're at the OP's stage, you've drunk the KoolAid.

If I were going to spend *up to* $1500 on an LP-style guitar these days (and given my experience with other brands), I'd go to www.rondomusic.com and order up a semi-custom. I can get neck-through construction (not available at Gibson) with an Axcess-style neck heel and tummy cut (available only on the over-$3K Axcess). That clunky LP neck heel is a PIA. I can get stainless steel Jumbo frets (not available at Gibson) on a 14" radius ebony fretboard with my choice of several kinds of inlays (including none at all). I have a choice of scales (24.75" is standard, but 25.5" and 27" are not available on a Gibson) and I can get a 24-fret neck (again...). I can order a Floyd (only on the Gibson Axcess, unless you can find the mythical Traditional that was supposed to have had one last year or the Studio Shred, which is also difficult to find), get it with a wider neck (1 3/4" nut width) or a slimmer neck (17mm depth at the first fret, 21mm at the 12th). I can choose from several binding styles (including none, if I'm really dead set against "bling") and a long list of finishes and hardware colors, including nickel, chrome, black chrome, etc.. I can have solid maple cap or not. I can have a SOLID body (trust me, neck-through construction and a solid body sound different from glued neck and semi-hollow body) or have the upper bout chambered. Oh, and I can even get it in 7-string if I choose. Active pickups? Sure. But the stock AlnicoV's are pretty good, as are the electronics (the three-way switch is just so-so, though). Woods are excellent, finish actually does NOT discolor, check, crack, react with moisture, other chemicals and materials nor does it outgas Sulfuric and Nitric acids, as do Gibson finishes. Takes about 3-4 months for the Korean elves to get your guitar into the container and out to New Hampshire, but it will cost you around a grand (depending on what you order).

That's where my money (in that price range and for that kind of guitar) would go, leastways if you're planning to play it more than attempt to impress your friends.

For either a Gibson OR an Agile (or probably even a Dommengut or Nik Huber), I'd put aside a couple of hundred to have the frets superglued and get the thing PLEK'd and set up to your personal spec.

FWIW, I bought a used Agile AL-3100 Floyd for about $200 maybe 18+ months ago. Multi-layer binding on body and headstock, real ebony fretboard, MOP trap inlays, jumbo frets, standard neck, good Grover tuners, nickel-plated hardware, AlnicoV pickups. Had it set up (PLEK, superglue), put a big brass sustain block on the Floyd, and it's been working ever since. I don't know of a comparable Gibson (spec-wise) below a Custom (if you can get one with an ebony fretboard). All the bling. All the playability. And, given the 100+ models of LP that have been issued and the variety of pickups that have been on them, very satisfying sound.

Buy what you love, of course, but realize that the biggest "bling" you're playing for is that logo on the headstock, no matter which model you choose.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
bornfidelity
UG Guitar Wars I Champion

A lot of good advice already!
Another option is the Gibson The Paul which has least 'bling' (lol, weird for a guitar forum) of all Gibson guitars and it's beautiful and goes for 600-700eur. ($900?)
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer
Les Paul Deluxe (70s)
Dano '59
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez Artcore AM73
bornfidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
Rhoads_1096

Thanks for the advice guys... I went with a 2013 Traditional in honey burst; got it brand new for $1640 which I thought was a great deal

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?u...w&sz=w1576-h655

Love that top and I'm definitely happy i went with the traditional
Old 10-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

That's a great price for an NOS Trad. Enjoy & we're expecting a NGD w/ pics soon.
Cheers

Ken
Old 10-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
Rhoads_1096

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
That's a great price for an NOS Trad. Enjoy & we're expecting a NGD w/ pics soon.
Cheers

Ken

Yeah I thought it was going to be a lemon at that price but it plays great! Weighs in at a hefty 10.5 pounds and Ill be sure to get some pics up when I can break a better camera out tommorow
Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoads_1096
Yeah I thought it was going to be a lemon at that price but it plays great! Weighs in at a hefty 10.5 pounds and Ill be sure to get some pics up when I can break a better camera out tommorow

Naw the store just wanted to move old stock so it was a blow out price (probably made very little if any $$). It's heavy because IIRC 2013 was the year they offered totally solid bodies for the Trad with no weight relief.

Rate This Thread: