Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
gisobon

is this correct?

hey guys, so if i got myself the emg 81/85 pickups, can i just install it myself? or do i need someone's help. i'm intending to put the emgs into my epiphone LP custom.

I love Schecter
gisobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Ace Carson
Registered rock'n'rolla

Well that highly depends on your experience. In terms of tools, you'll need a sloder iron, some solder, some decent tools like a couple of screwdrivers, some knife or other means of dealing with wires and such.
If you have these things, you mechanically *can* do it yourself, but if you have no experience in soldering and assembling guitars, I strongly suggest that you go a guitar tech.

Cheers. Ace.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
gisobon

but would it involve drilling out the guitar? cos my friend told me that the emgs may not fit into an epiphone LP. that true?

I love Schecter
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Zamorak
delay extraordinaire

The problem with adding EMG's is you gotta add a 9V battery somewhere. If the battery doesn't fit in the comparments already drilled, you have to route a battery compartment.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
MonkeyLink07
UG's Fire Gym Leader

Yeah, if the battery fits, then you're golden. The new EMGs all have a quik connect system, so the only thing you will have to solder is the switch. If you don't think you can do that, go to a tech, but it really is not the hardest thing and is pretty hard to screw up.
MonkeyLink07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
gisobon

oh yeah i forgot about the battery. so actually inserting a battery would require drilling yeah? anyone of you guys got an epiphone LP custom and turned that into emgs 81/85? is there a need for drilling?

I love Schecter
Old 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Ace Carson
Registered rock'n'rolla

I had an Epi LP Standart and I had to glue some foam to the tone cavity cover because there is just plenty of space for a battery. But I didn't solder anything.
The best way is to get a battery holder. In that case you`ll have to cut a rectangular hole and some little holes for screws only in your cover (that flat piece of plastic screwed on on the back side where the knobs reside)

Cheers. Ace.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
gisobon

wait so if i bring it to the techs to do it, which part of the guitar will they drill?

I love Schecter
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Ace Carson
Registered rock'n'rolla

The plastic cover.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #11
gisobon

That would be the back panel? For what? Can't they unscrew the backpanel and just be done with it? The batteries would be inside the guitar yes?

I love Schecter
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
MonkeyLink07
UG's Fire Gym Leader

It is fairly easy to install the pickups yourself, but if you do not feel comfortable doing it, then you can bring it to a tech. They will take out your old pickups, put in the new ones, and give it back. At least that is what they should do.

What Ace was suggesting was a battery box, but for the amount of time that the battery will actually be changed with EMG's I'm not sure how useful it will be to take the time to install.

Battery Box:
MonkeyLink07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
gisobon

oh cool so i definitely i have install a battery box yeah? cos emgs need batteries right? oh and one more thing, will they remove the strings to get to the pickups or will they remove the back panel and remove the pickups from behind?

thanks.
ps sorry guys i'm just asking so i won't get duped by anyone. i just wanna know what to expect.

I love Schecter
Old 07-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
spacec0wboy

They need to remove the strings to access the pickups.
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
spacec0wboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

You do not need a battery box.
EMGs batteries should last 1 year providing you unplug the guitar after every use.

As far as I know, a 9V battery will fit in the Epiphone LPs control cavity.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:36 AM   #16
gisobon

oh cool but i've asked the tech about drilling and they said they definitely have to do it. so where can i get a battery box? i don't think it comes together with the emg box with the pickups right?

I love Schecter

Rate This Thread: