Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
ieatcrayons1

what honestly makes guitars so expensive?

what is it about some guitars that make them worth 2,000+ dollars.

im sold on it being just because of the name? i know wood type and whether it is hand made is brought into account. but it shouldnt make THAT big of a difference!

i just know ive played starter pack ibanez guitars that play and sound better than $800 dollar fenders.

Last edited by ieatcrayons1 : 08-12-2009 at 02:41 PM.
ieatcrayons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
jonmo1
UG Board King

Honest answer?

Laws of Supply and Demand.

The more people want them, the more they can charge for them

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
jonmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
simpleben09
Simple Ben

Yeah, I've noticed that when they start getting over $1000, they dont get that much better. A lot of it can be cosmetic (paint job, hardware, etc) but personally, the only advantage is that they last just a little bit longer.
-B-52 AT-112
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
simpleben09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name

Dude, keyboards mostly start at $1000

This is an electronic track I made, influenced by Trentemøller and Meshuggah
If you want C4C just give me a message!
MaXiMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
simpleben09
Simple Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXiMuse
Dude, keyboards mostly start at $1000

Oh, I didn't know that this was Ultimate-Keyboard.com!
Jk just giving you **** lol. But yeah keyboards can get expensive as fuuuuuuck
-B-52 AT-112
Quote:
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
PumpkinPieces
Aeroplane Flies How High?

Reason for Jag's and mustangs: Kurt Cobain.
PumpkinPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
VanTheKraut
How tough am I?!

This is why I never consider a guitar over $1000. (and most the times even less). Thats about as good as it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Old Country. Old Blues. Old Rock. Old Metal. Gangsta Rap.
VanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #8
masterhugy

i just got a les paul ephiphone upgraded from a squire strat and well i have to say it was worth the money u can just feel the diference when you play the tone the greater control i dunnno i dont own a 2k+ guitar but i guess they are slightly better XD
masterhugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
emma9393
Banned

Building them and buying parts?

But really, it's ridiculous when they are over $1000.
emma9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
mattvl

They're handmade, the pickups are handwired, and the parts are high quality. Try building one by hand on your own and then figure out how many hours it takes to build a single guitar. After factoring in the price of parts $2000 bucks will seem like you're getting ripped off when you're selling it (although that time will be drastically shortened once you know what you're doing and acquire the proper tools).

EDIT: That doesn't mean it would be worth the money to the buyer though. Some people make great handmade guitar for around $1500 that I hear blow away anything the big name brands have put out (and around half of that price is just the parts).

Last edited by mattvl : 08-12-2009 at 02:58 PM.
mattvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
simpleben09
Simple Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPieces
Reason for Jag's and mustangs: Kurt Cobain.

Hey, what has four arms, four legs, and works at McDonalds? The remaining memebers of Nirvana XD. But really, God bless Kurt Cobain, and after making that joke, God, have mercy on my soul lol
-B-52 AT-112
Quote:

Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
perfectchaos23

well because some people people think rhe more expensive something is the better it is so they buy a 2k guitar which is a big mistake id rather buy a way cheaper guitar and have it set up really good
perfectchaos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Gryphon999
youtube.com/users/mordehm

they can just give it a price because ppl will buy em anyways.. programming some machines, a bit of wood, metal and plastic arent expensive..

EDIT: Hey, what has four arms, four legs and works at McDonalds? simpleben's mom >.> j/k
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus

Last edited by Gryphon999 : 08-12-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Gryphon999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
ieatcrayons1

the only time i would honestly pay more than $1000 on a guitar is if was from the Jackson Custom shop.
ieatcrayons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
squareimage

the name on the headstock.
squareimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
simpleben09
Simple Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatcrayons1
the only time i would honestly pay more than $1000 on a guitar is if was from the Jackson Custom shop.

yeah custom shopped guitars are okay to cost more than $1000, becuase its exactly what you want
-B-52 AT-112
Quote:

Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
Richmanofaction
UG's Man of Action

Nah- thats not true- a $2000 dollar guitar is expensive for various reasons- but like anything else you need to be careful what you're spending that 2000 bucks on. If I bought a Zakk Wylde Les Paul, i'd be paying for the name and the bullseye finish and all that hooey. For that price you're paying for certain features and techniques.

One thing that makes an expensive axe worth it is build quality and feature quality.
For build quality, they usually have the best woods and materials. On my soloist, the name on the headstock is mother of pearl, along with the inlays, the neck is bound and the guitar's paint job/finish is hand dressed. (for the difference- look up "eerie dess swirl" and compare a japanese jackson and an american one) My japanese jackson was factory assembled, has MOTO inlays, and has a bolt on neck. The Soloist was built at the USA factory in California by a small team of people. What you're paying for is the American labor, and the attention to detail that the small domestic team provided during construction. I know who wired my guitar, who did the neck dressing and who painted the finish. Also, I know that they picked the best cut of Alder for my guitar's body. As a consumer who is spending alot of cash on an instrument, this is important to me.

In terms of electronics, the pots and electronics on more expensive guitars reflect the price paid. Case in point, my Soloist's pots and pickup switch are more solid than those found on my japanese jackson. They are all steel, no plastic to be found, and can take abuse that a professional musician can dole out. In this price, you get the best of the brand. I have a Japanese jackson with a Floyd Rose- but it isn't an original, its licensed. It doesn't do all the tricks an original can, nor does it hold a tune like my soloist. The pups in a guitar like this should be top of the line- the USA variants of the brand. Be careful with a 2000 dollar guitar with active EMGs- they sound the same in a $200 guitar as they do in a $2000 one. In a guitar like this you want a guitar with passive pups that bring out the nuance of the hopefully fine cut of wood that you get in this price range.

I can't stress enough though that when spending alot of money on an instrument, I would look to see that I am getting the best possible value for the cost. Personally, I don't get why people would spend 3500 on a strat, but thats just me. If I am spending that kind of money, I would want certain features...for example, neck through, exotic woods etc.

All in all, its like asking "why buy a Maserati when I can upgrade my honda civic just as much?" In the end they both are cars, but one is just more finely executed over the other.

200,000 views and counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL

Last edited by Richmanofaction : 08-12-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Richmanofaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
darkcheef
☆☆☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleben09
Hey, what has four arms, four legs, and works at McDonalds? The remaining memebers of Nirvana XD. But really, God bless Kurt Cobain, and after making that joke, God, have mercy on my soul lol

I think the other two members, one is in a pretty famous band and the other is like a Governor (the same thing he "rebelled" against)
darkcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #19
JackleCube

Prestige and history, it's why I'd pay £1500 for a Gibson Les Paul Standard. And yeah, partly because it has Gibson written on the headstock.
JackleCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #20
jonmo1
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackleCube
Prestige and history, it's why I'd pay £1500 for a Gibson Les Paul Standard. And yeah, partly because it has Gibson written on the headstock.

If prestige and histroy is why you'd pay alot for a les paul, then the Name on the headstock is 100% the reason, not partly.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
jonmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: