Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #81
JustKeepPlayn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Penguin77
Build quality.

I can't say much because I got my American strat NEW for $550, but honestly, the upgraded harware and craftsmanship are amazing. It may not be worth $2000 but you can really fell the differance. I could've gotten a mexican strat and upgraded the hell out of it and had one hell of a guitar but it just doesnt compare to the quality of the wood, neck carve, fret dressing and materals, etc.

Thats just my 0.02

that's true. I've a $120 Squier Bullet Strat and when it works, it sounds like a regular Fender strat. the problem is the quality. The 1st bullet strat I got, I had to take it back and get it exchanged because whoever the idiot or the machine that put the truss rod in placed it off center towards the lower strings. The one I had exchanged for has heavy fret buzz, but I haven't play around with it much, nor set it up. Most likely, it needs a saddle adjustment.

But yeah, I agree with ninja penguin. When you buy an expensive guitar, you're not getting something made by people in a foreign factory that are underpaid, overworked, and are only there because it beats farming the family plot. You get something that's made by people that actually love to work with guitars, have experienced hands, and take pride in what they're making.
JustKeepPlayn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #82
CapnKickass
Make it hapn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlhead443
Nobody? Nobody noticed this?

hmm, why buy a 15k PRS when you can get an Ormsby guitar for like what 2-3k?

CapnKickass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #83
RockAddict311
RockAddict311

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleben09
Hey, what has four arms, four legs, and works at McDonalds? The remaining memebers of Nirvana XD. But really, God bless Kurt Cobain, and after making that joke, God, have mercy on my soul lol

The Drummer is actually the FRONTMAN of Foo Fighters XD

FYI
RockAddict311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 AM   #84
CarpUK
Wine Sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
It's nothing to be ashamed of and everyone has to start somewhere, but seriously guys, come on. Some of you are being really obvious. If you can't see why someone would pay 15k+ for a one-off PRS like that then either you're too young and are having trouble even imagining what fifteen grand looks like, or you're going to be a student or similar and you're too naive about the world of money and what other people will or won't do with it. Fifteen thousand for a guitar like that is nothing compared to what some people will spend money on and even just limited to the world of electric guitars, there have been much more expensive guitars than that and probably very few of those will play, sound or last like that one does.

Plus... said 15k guitar shouldn't really be viewed as a musical instrument, but as a collectors item and investment. If you consider what it could subsequently be sold for, the amount of money "lost" on buying the guitar may only be a few grand in the short term, and there will more than likely be a positive return in the future.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #85
CarpUK
Wine Sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megdidar
I appreciate that fact that that PRS is an absolute work of art and one of a kind. However there comes a point where things start to get absurd. I can see no justifiable reason for a guitar to cost $3000 more than my motorcycle. 15,000.00 and I can't even ride it.
Call it different priorities, I can't imagine that a 15000 guitar sounds 13000$ better than a nice Gibson or even an ESP standard or custom shop.

In ten years time, your bike will dog food cans, whereas that guitar will almost certainly be worth more than $15,000 in absolute terms.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #86
Deep*Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic-clown
well ..thats ******ed...Dave Grohl went off the make the Foo Fighters

Would rather he worked at Macdonald's.
Quote:
Nobody? Nobody noticed this?

A person would live their life very well informed if they believed the opposite of anything Ed Roman says.

And if LPs are so fragile why do so many vintage ones well used by professional musicians show up for sale in usable condition.
The only people who break them are people who don't look after their instrument at all, and if you think $1000 is steep for an instrument then you would probably look after it better than a 13 year old with no concept of worth.

If you don't think a guitar is worth a few thousand dollars then don't cry, your $150 Starter kit guitar is just as good anyway right? So why complain?
edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpUK
In ten years time, your bike will dog food cans,

wat
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Deep*Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #87
CarpUK
Wine Sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep*Kick
wat

Just saying that such guitars tend to appreciate in value over medium to long term, whereas motor vehicles tend to end up on the scrap heap after a while.

If you compare the purchases, you end up with...

- A $15k bike
You get a bike. It does all the things a bike does. In ten years time it'll be worth a lot less than it is now, and will probably cost a load to run. In other words, you lose a lot of money but get (assuming you like motorbikes, which I personally do) a lot of fun out of it. As an investment, it sucks massively.

- A $15k guitar
You get a guitar, and one that is (unless you're genuinely rolling in it) too valuable to really use. In ten years time, you'll still have it, and it'll probably sell for the same or more than you paid for it. In thirty years time it may end up having appreciated massively in real* terms. Okay, as an investment it's probably not going to match up to, say, chucking the lot on the stock market, but compared to the bike it's a moment of financial genius, and if you're a guitar collector then you're going to find it tough comparing your fellow collectors guitars with your Boeing shares.

(i.e. after inflation, meaning you "win")
Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #88
kramer242

you pay for a lot of things....quality of build, playability, labor fees, shipping costs, not to mention an assload of tax when you buy it, etc. All in all, while forking out the cash sucks, if you love the end result it is always worth it.
kramer242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:21 AM   #89
iamawsomeguitar
GUITAR4DAWIN

i think you should be able to spend more than 1000 after all i think second hand is the way to buy guitars so much cheaper and a little dings and things dont affect the sound . But for all you people sayign you wont spend over 1000 on a guitar you can really tell the difference and they are worth it (well most the time)
iamawsomeguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #90
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawsomeguitar
i think you should be able to spend more than 1000 after all i think second hand is the way to buy guitars so much cheaper and a little dings and things dont affect the sound . But for all you people sayign you wont spend over 1000 on a guitar you can really tell the difference and they are worth it (well most the time)

they are worth it if you are worth it, i think. any beginner isn't going to be able to make a gibson les paul historic R9 sound any better than an epiphone les paul special II. But an awesome guitarist is gonna make the epi sound decent but only as good as the guitar can possibly sound which is somewhat limited, but the gibson will sound a whole world better.

I can't justify having a 1000 guitar because instruments around the 500-600 range sound just as good when i play them, and i guess that must be because i just don't have the skill to do the more expensive guitars any justice. They do feel much nicer to play though!
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #91
Crizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleben09
Hey, what has four arms, four legs, and works at McDonalds? The remaining memebers of Nirvana XD. But really, God bless Kurt Cobain, and after making that joke, God, have mercy on my soul lol

Aww man what's that dude in the Foo Fighter's called? Aww man he also did some drum tracks for QOTSA oh and I hear he's forming this new supergroup OH YEAH
It's that drummer dude from Nirvana umm Dave Grohl. You fool
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Crizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #92
James13v
Psychic Alien Jellyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pak1351
You can think whatever you want, but don't spout off bullshit. Ask Warren Haynes what guitar company he likes, or Joe Bonamassa, or Jeff Beck, or Eric Clapton, etc. Personally, I could go my whole life without playing another Ibanez or Dean and die a happy man.

Everyone has different tastes, but Ibanez and Dean and ESP are not superior guitars in any way compared to Fender or Gibson, they're just different. They all 'charge a few hundred dollars for the logo on their headstock'. Nobody sells their guitars at cost, and if you want to call the profit per guitar charging for the name, go ahead and do it, but be aware that every company does it, and not just guitar companies.

Don't pretend to understand their motives. These companies (should) know what to charge in order control a certain market share (which is a huge factor in pricing as well) and make their company profitable. They certainly know more about what they're doing than you do.

ESP custom shop alone absolutely destroys Fender and Gibson CS.

Also, Gibson for one place a significantly larger value on their brand name than Ibanez, for example. And you would be suprised at the greed and stupidity of some people on this earth.
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9

Last edited by James13v : 08-13-2009 at 08:31 AM.
James13v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #93
DavePT

Quote:
Originally Posted by James13v
ESP custom shop alone absolutely destroys Fender and Gibson CS.

Also, Gibson for one place a significantly larger value on their brand name than Ibanez, for example. And you would be suprised at the greed and stupidity of some people on this earth.

This thread (and forum in general) is a very good example of that.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #94
CarpUK
Wine Sponge

Quote:

Data or it didn't happen.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #95
yLynch
Banned

@ the people saying go no higher than $1000...

What's that in Ausfailian dollars?
yLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #96
ZachCrawfordOMG
Explorer Nut

Quote:
You just justified it. Also, besides being a Private Stock (pretty much PRS's CS), it's a 513, which is one of the most versatile guitars and a very sought after PRS. And they clearly aren't looking at the average guitarist when pricing that. It's mainly a collector's piece. It's kind like buying a Lamborghini; you don't buy one because you can afford one, you buy one because you can afford five.

This.
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
ZachCrawfordOMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #97
JackleCube

You call it greed, to me it just seems like business. If I built guitars, I'd try and sell them for as much as I could, and with the history of Gibson, they can, and they're clearly selling, so why not, sounds like good business to me.
JackleCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #98
James13v
Psychic Alien Jellyfish

Just to add a general comment in relation to this whole thread: There is a point where guitars just can not get any better, no matter what you do to them, price-wise this point varies from company to company. Beyond this point, one is paying for aesthetics and sentimental value (brand name, handmand, rare wood cut etc...). Those $15,000 PRS Private Stocks are a perfect example of a guitar that has gone well past the point of practical quality (as I shall call it).

Many people question why others buy guitars like PRS Private Stocks and similar guitars that obviously could have been made/sold cheaper whilst sounding exactly the same, feeling exactly the same and still looking extremely awesome. You don't have to look very far to see why though, and the answer can be found in gold.

Yes gold, as in the element. This relatively useless metal (unless you want a good conductor...) has been overwhelmingly valuable to man all over the world for literally ages. The main reason for this is because it is pleasing to the eye and not much else. It is a primitive obsession that ridiculous amounts of people have died over; that is how much something that is shiny and pretty means to some people. Looking at how much people will value something like gold, it's not hard to understand why people will spend so much money on a guitar.

Do I think spending ridiculously large sums of money on aesthetics and sentimental value is stupid? Yes, I concider myself a realist though.

Would I spend ridiculous amounts of money on a guitar if I had the money to spare and it wouldn't affect my financial situation significantly (I'm a rich mofo in this hypothetical...)? Yes, because I'm human.

Final point: humans are stupid, we do things that are illogical and dumb. But really, we don't care, because when faced with our own mortality our mistakes aren't important as long as we feel we are alive.
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9

Last edited by James13v : 08-13-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #99
yLynch
Banned

Quote:
Just to add a general comment in relation to this whole thread: There is a point where guitars just can not get any better, no matter what you do to them, price-wise this point varies from company to company. Beyond this point, one is paying for aesthetics and sentimental value (brand name, handmand, rare wood cut etc...). Those $15,000 PRS Private Stocks are a perfect example of a guitar that has gone well past the point of practical quality (as I shall call it).

Many people question why others buy guitars like PRS Private Stocks and similar guitars that obviously could have been made/sold cheaper whilst sounding exactly the same, feeling exactly the same and still looking extremely awesome. You don't have to look very far to see why though, and the answer can be found in gold.

Yes gold, as in the element. This relatively useless metal (unless you want a good conductor...) has been overwhelmingly valuable to man all over the world for literally ages. The main reason for this is because it is pleasing to the eye and not much else. It is a primitive obsession that ridiculous amounts of people have died over, that is how much something that is shiny and pretty means to some people. Looking at how much people will value something like gold, it's not hard to understand why people will spend so much money on a guitar.

Do I think spending ridiculously large sums of money on aesthetics and sentimental value is stupid? Yes, I concider myself a realist though.

Would I spend ridiculous amounts of money on a guitar if I had the money to spare and it wouldn't affect my financial situation (I'm a rich mofo in this hypothetical...)? Yes, because I'm human.

Final point: humans are stupid, we do things that are illogical and dumb. But really, we don't care, because when faced with our own mortality our mistakes aren't important as long as we feel we are alive.

'Today young men on acid realised...'

+1

Don't forget, aesthetic beauty is subjective though.
yLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #100
James13v
Psychic Alien Jellyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeylynch
'Today young men on acid realised...'

+1

Don't forget, aesthetic beauty is subjective though.

True, true. There're some things that are universally attractive to people though, gold & fire for example. Ofcourse, I do keep in mind the subjectivity of beauty.

O yeh and Bill Hicks/Tool FTW lol, thanks.
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: