Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
paul.housley.7

almost finished with my first guitar amp. (scrap parts build)

http://imgur.com/gallery/3zdKnmL

Pic there.
I have never owned a tube amp, never built anything this complicated before either. It looks dirty and full of old parts because it IS dirty and full of old parts, but I'm on the home stretch. The chassis on the bottom has 2 rca 6L6 tubes and a sylvania 12ax7a. The smaller "box" up top is my output transformer. It occurred to me after the fact that heat might do something interesting to the sound but i guess i'll find out soon enough.
The bigger chassis on the right has my filter capacitors, my bridge rectifier and my big resisters underneath it. The switches are standby, power, and i don't have the third switch connected but i was planning to wire some mood lighting later if the amp works out well enough.
No tone stack yet. Just a volume knob on the front (not in this picture).
The box that i'm using used to be a space heater. The part where the fan used to be is slotted and should allow a cool view of the tubes while they're cranking. And my mood lighting of course.

I have lots of wiring to shorten, secure and connect and i still need to get the speaker connections mounted on the back. It may be a few more days before i'm ready but it's getting very exciting. I feel like a bad mofo.(i hope it works)
paul.housley.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
monkeybike

I'm a piano mover by trade and I come across all sorts of electric organs that end up getting junked. I've been considering harvesting the tube amps out of some of the decent Hammonds and Allen organs to do something like your amp.
Epi LP jr
Yamaha RBX170
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
paul.housley.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybike
I'm a piano mover by trade and I come across all sorts of electric organs that end up getting junked. I've been considering harvesting the tube amps out of some of the decent Hammonds and Allen organs to do something like your amp.

Absolutely.
There's no need to "scrapyard" it as I've done. I added a lot of work because i'm folding up my own chassis and fabricating custom parts. If you find an amp then it might be as simple as replacing the capacitors and tubes. That said - there's a lot of theory to know if you ever plan on doing your own circuit. I am at subsistence level myself. I barely know enough to get by.

I connected the final wires today but I didn't finish the hole in the cover for the switches, nor did i test the circuit for proper voltages. Still at least - i'm guessing at least an hour or two left before i would be willing to plug anything in to it.

This is intense thou. Intense for sure. Woah.
Old Today, 03:17 AM   #4
paul.housley.7

Well i have sound. It's so quiet that i can barely hear it but i do have sound. Will work on the problem and try to get more volume. More updates to come.

Rate This Thread: