Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 AM   #1
EarnHF

Planning To Upgrabe My Bullet Squire

Hey guys! I am planning on upgrading my Bullet Squire & I would like your opinions & recommendations.

I am planning on upgrading the tuners, pickups, nut & pots. I want to have locking tuners for stability as I use the tremolo quite a lot.

I mainly play rock music. I play a lot of Van Halen, AC/DC, G'n'R, etc.

Can you guys give me your recommendations on what I should upgrade to? Thanks.
EarnHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:33 AM   #2
slimjimmypage

Hola friendo. These recommendations all depend on your budget. If you want to upgrade everything to something nice, I'd vote for using that money for a nicer guitar. The new pickups and pots and tuners might be fun, but you won't be satisfied with them on the Squier Bullet platform and will LOSE A LOT OF MONEY and effort in the process. Especially since this is your first time and we all screw up and cut corners the first time, eh? If your budget is going to be low, then we can talk about upgrading a little bit.

So what's your budget?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
EarnHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjimmypage
Hola friendo. These recommendations all depend on your budget. If you want to upgrade everything to something nice, I'd vote for using that money for a nicer guitar. The new pickups and pots and tuners might be fun, but you won't be satisfied with them on the Squier Bullet platform and will LOSE A LOT OF MONEY and effort in the process. Especially since this is your first time and we all screw up and cut corners the first time, eh? If your budget is going to be low, then we can talk about upgrading a little bit.

So what's your budget?

Well, I have about $500. I want to upgrade my Squier because I really like the feel of it. It feels really nice to play & I guess I am used to it.
EarnHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
John Sims

As above - buy a Mexican Strat. You are planning on ploughing $500 into a $200 guitar which, when you have finished, will be worth $150.

Granted the actual value is of no consequence if you never sell the beast, and there is a lot of satisfaction to, in effect, making your own unique guitar. But with all building work you need a firm foundation.

A Squire will always be a Squire.

The lines blur once it says Fender. There is still the distinction between an American Strat and a Mexican Strat. I have both and probably play the Mexican more because of where it lives and the American isn't sufficiently better for me to go to the other room and get it. I probably prefer the finish on the neck of the Mexican (and it looks more interesting) but otherwise the American is better in many almost imperceptible ways. In the same way a Mexican Strat will be better than your Squire.
John Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Robbgnarly

www.guitarfetish.com has everything you need at very reasonable prices ($32ish for locking tuners). I use them all the time on guitars that are <$500 and have never had an issue with anything from them.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
Tallwood13

I would honestly just spend the 500$ on a new guitar on craigslist / gumtree (uk) or kijiji (canada), if you're an online shopper ebay or musiciansfriend.

grover tuners the vintage 9.14mm ones
graphtech tusq nut
the pickguard - IKNMusic (ebay seller) you will have to re-drill or dragonfire guitars for a H/S or H/H one.
for single coils hum cancelling pickups - this is any single coil with 4 wires or the EMG SA pickups that are active
for humbuckers - anything, brand doesn't matter, it's all about getting those sounds you're missing from the guitar
the bridge - it's a 6 bolt tremolo, the same kind on ebay for 6$, but graphtech tusq saddles aren't bad.

electronics
CTS or Bournes - push pulls where needed - B250k across the board
a CRL 5 way switch
wire is wire, single conductor I like most
sprague orange drop or malory paper in oil capacitor - 0.022uf or 0.033uf for the main tone (make sure to use gator clips when installing the higher end capacitors)
copper shielding tape to increase clarity - insulate the whole guitar and solder a wire to ground.
switchcraft input jack

mods and all to really utilize the pickups you can use mini toggles, super 5 way switches (Good luck wiring them) or like I said before push pulls.

the Fender S1 volume pot or Fender TBX tone knob I recommend highly

this is my typical fender strat wiring though , it's a 2 band master EQ with the option to use just the outer 2 or all 3 pickups if you pull up on the tone knob. I call it my modern strat wiring.

Last edited by Tallwood13 : 02-18-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: