Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
mielieHobo

Yamaha SG Parts needed!

Hey all

I rescued a 1979 Yamaha SG-2000. This is pretty much my dream guitar and is pretty rare around where I live. I got a good deal on it so I took it.

Here is a link to the pictures (there's a lot so I just provided a link to the gallery):
http://postimg.org/gallery/7xw39dsc/

Pickups are working and sound good. As you can see, the bridge has been swapped out for a tremolo one, a Kahler I think. The body has also been routed.

I really would like to restore the guitar to it's original form.

If anyone has a complete original brass bridge and the original tone pots, that they're willing to part with please let me know! They're really tough to come by here. I'll pay for postage and everything/

I hope this is in the right section.

Any help appreciated!
mielieHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

To be honest with you, you'd have better luck at maybe one of the dedicated MIJ forums or maybe even LP forums (since they tend to deal with MIJ a lot more).

You could maybe shoot some of these guys an email and see if they can help out:

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/

http://www.guitarsjapan.com/

http://www.japanvintageguitars.com/

The parts might not be easy to come by either if you want original. If not then you could probably just grab some GOTOH hardware.

EDIT: Saw the pictures too. You'll have to fill the trem cavity if you want to restore it no? Might want to consider going for a solid color then because the plug will show with a clear finish.

Only at times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
There are sites called plushdotyiff where people talk about yiffing plushies

Axel in heat.

Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R : 12-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
mielieHobo

Thanks bro, I'll give those sites a shot. Got some other MiJ guitars I'm restoring too!

Yeah I know. I'll insert the same tone wood block in there then will make a decision on that. If I don't come right with finding the original I'll definitely look at GOTOH
Old 12-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mielieHobo
Thanks bro, I'll give those sites a shot. Got some other MiJ guitars I'm restoring too!

Yeah I know. I'll insert the same tone wood block in there then will make a decision on that. If I don't come right with finding the original I'll definitely look at GOTOH

For what it's worth, most likely the stock hardware the guitar had would probably be GOTOH as well.

Only at times, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
There are sites called plushdotyiff where people talk about yiffing plushies

Axel in heat.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
dkcol

Did you ask the person you bought it from if they have the original parts, or if they know the person who had it before?
dkcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
HomerSGR
What?

I'm very sad seeing someone did that to what I think is the best looking guitar ever made. It looks to be in good condition otherwise. Many old ones are beat to death.

Yamaha needs to make these available again, not the ugly SG1800-series with the same features as everything else - the 1000, 2000 and 3000. I'd do anything to get a new SG3000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
For what it's worth, most likely the stock hardware the guitar had would probably be GOTOH as well.

They never put any standard tune-o-matic bridges on these guitars. The tailpiece and bridge is very unique to these Yamahas and one of its defining features. Gotoh may well have manufactured the parts for Yamaha though, I have no insight in suppliers on 30+ year old guitars.

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/imag...3000-473571.jpg

How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R

Not even close. These were Yamaha proprietary parts.

Have you considered contacting Yamaha? How about contacting the Frets Guitar Center in the UK? They're one of the few places other than Japan that actually carried SG2000 and SG3000 stock this century (might even still do). In theory, we were supposed to be able to get SBG2000's in the modern era, but that was nearly impossible.

You have the original pickups (looks like) with the original pickup covers. Those can be painted or powder coated back to like new, and the pickup surrounds are stock (when you replace them, have the bottom contoured to match the surface of the guitar; don't simply screw them down and produce a bend in them as some idiots do).

You can find the original brass sustain block (what the bridge screws into); it's only partly there in your photos. That's an integral part of an SG2000, as is the original, fairly heavyweight bridge. You'd have to fill the rout cavity, and that's not going to be pretty. I think a repaint on that guitar is a silly expense.

Honestly, if I were refurbing this guitar, I'd take it to Gary Brawer in San Francisco. I'd put a new Kahler on it (it's period correct, and Yamaha used both its own design trems and Kahlers) rather than go through the pain of replacing wood and going to a hard tail. The new ones can be locked down as a hard tail or unlocked and used as a trem, and they're very good. You'll need a gold one. You can choose the saddle material, and you should talk to www.wammiworld.com about what, specifically, you want. I've got Kahlers on both new and old guitars, and they're actually very good (though you get the occasional Internet Wonk who will tell you -- usually without ever having had one in his hand in his life -- that they "suck tone"). You should probably replace the string lock with a new one (same with the string tree behind it), also from wammiworld.com, also in gold.

I'd double check those tuners to see if they're stock (I don't have mine readily at hand), but I notice there's no screw in the back of those (or can I simply not see it?).

After that, have Gary check the frets for level, maybe give them a run on his PLEK, maybe have him superglue the frets, polish everything up and send it back.

If it were mine, that is.

Last edited by dspellman : 12-18-2014 at 03:44 PM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR
I'd do anything to get a new SG3000.

Absolutely worth it.

Interesting that while the SG3000 is a neckthrough guitar like the SG2000, it did NOT come with the sustain block. OTOH, it does have those killer Spinex pickups, and the SG2000 did not. Seems to me there's a sort of hybrid SG2500 that showed up at one point that had both. But rare.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #9
mielieHobo

Appreciate the major response to this thread! I got the guitar for pretty much a steal, I traded my Avion Les Paul for it which I paid extremely little for (as in less than $100) and the guy gave me some cash for a case. I'm based in South Africa which makes trying to source these parts even more tough as I'll have to pay for shipping, customs, etc...

It's my dream guitar for the past couple years now, so I'm willing to put in the effort.

dkcol - the previous owner was a kid who just finished school, he bought the guitar in an auction from a drug dealer who got busted...and I highly doubt that dealer was the original owner. Besides I'm not about to ask a dealer if he has the original parts!!!

HomerSGR - I agree...seriously can't stop looking at her (minus the changes ofcourse). SG3000 is amazing, but really rare.

dspellman - thanks for the input bro, makes a lot of sense. I sent World of Yamaha South Africa an email last night so just waiting for a response from them. I've been told they generally have spares but unfortunately they cost quite a bit. I'm gonna sell another one of my guitars and put all the cash into this beauty. I'm going to go ahead and contact Frets Guitar Center now, I have a friend in the UK so it would be great if they have the parts.

Pickups are original and working (removed them last night and checked underneath) and so are the covers. The bridge pickup cover has a slight crack which is easily glued. The pickups themselves are quite worn on top, but I'll worry about that last. I'm not going to stress about the cosmetics of the guitar, if I can save her tone I'll be really happy.

I noticed that, atleast I still have that block, however the Kahler bridge on here has a brass bass to which the springs are attached. Is this normal or has it been done for this guitar specifically.

I'd fill the route cavity after having played around with the original parts a bit. Just to make sure that's what I want. Refinishing is definitely pricey and a clear finish is going to show throw so I'll have to look for another option. I really want to keep it as original as possible.

I'm nowhere near SF unfortunately but I have some good tech's around here in SA, although genuine Kahler parts are extremely rare. I'll consider it, if the guitar cannot be saved (and as an absolute last resort) I'll order the hardware and instal it. I do like Kahlers, just a real pity a fool modified this beauty. I suspect the change was done in the 80s though..not many people these days would mess around with an SG-2000's originality.

The tuners are 100% original dspellman, made sure of that. I cleaned up the entire guitar last night, the neck and frets are in immaculate condition. Gonna clean and polish them now and then oil the neck...would boiled linseed oil work or is there something else more recommended on here? I know linseed is used as a finish and may be used once every couple years which is why I want to use it now then revert to lemon oil in the future.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
dspellman

I'd NOT use boiled linseed oil on the neck, personally. Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars says you can use it once, then not again for at least two years, then not again after that for ten years <G>. If it were me, I'd just use some mineral oil or lemon oil furniture polish (which is mostly mineral oil with some cleaning solvents added). Wipe it on, wait about three minutes, wipe it off, and definitely do NOT let it "soak in." Remember that you're not "replacing vital oils" or any of that BS; you're just keeping liquid moisture out of the grain ends and making it look pretty. That takes almost nothing.

The tuners look to be in pretty good shape. Great that you have the originals.

Part of the reason I'd simply replace the Kahler is that you've also got the cosmetic issue of the string lock and string tree to deal with (you'd get a new one of those as well). That IS an '80's conversion (everything had to have a trem in the '80's -- you should see some of the Les Paul hackjobs from that era!). There's been something removed from the sustain block in order to accommodate the Kahler, so if you went back to original, you'd need a new sustain block as well. If it were me, I'd send those photos to wammiworld.com and ask what's going on; they've been pretty good about getting back to me via email (this isn't a big enterprise <G>).

There ARE some original solid finishes for these beyond black. Some are quite rare, but were factory -- a bit of research will tell the tale there. Most weren't popular for a reason, though. The wine burst on the SG3000 is opaque, but may have been exclusive to that guitar (won't swear to it) -- for a long time it was the only alternative to a sparkly black finish for that particular guitar. Yamaha didn't put a lot of effort into the (usually) three piece maple tops on those guitars, so a very well done fill-in piece might pass mostly unnoticed.

The pickup covers can be sanded, filled and repainted with a tough spray and will probably age gracefully from there. I don't know what can be done with the bobbins (short of sanding them), but I don't know that I'd worry over them.

One last thing -- see if you can get the receipt or the information on the auction where the last owner bought the guitar. Given its provenance, you'll want to document your procurement history. It was very possibly stolen at some point, and if the serial number is still in someone's system somewhere, you might have to deal with the hassles of proving your title.

How's the fretwear on that guitar? Overall, I'd say you've stolen it, and anything you put back into it is money well-spent. Here's the information on Frets: http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/ They just sold a good used one for 1399 (pounds sterling): http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...y_Sunburst.html

Last edited by dspellman : 12-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
mielieHobo

Great! I'll go ahead and get some lemon oil tomorrow.

I'm going to do just that tonight. I'll take some detailed pics to help them figure it out. The prices I'm being quoted for the bridge are something ridiculous...the tailpiece alone is being priced between $100-$300. I will restore it to original condition in the long run but as I'm a student and funds are tough, I'd do what I can afford for now. I'm really not liking the current bridge, not in terms of playability (Kahler is fantastic) but in terms of cosmetics. I'd get one in brass/gold-plated. As for the piece removed from the sustain block, it seems to have been attached to the bottom of the Kahler. So I'm going to find out about that.
I'm after the Carlos Santana tone and sustain...main reason for trying to get the brass back.

Hmm...you make some interesting points regarding the finish. I'm really not worrying about the refinishing of the block right now but I'm going to speak to some of the guys locally and see what can be done. Although this will be the last step in the process as it sounds like an immensely costly affair.

I was considering sanding them down and respraying but I think I'd leave them the way they are. I'm gonna try get some gold plated screws to fit in though, these ones have lost their lustre.

I would've done that but unfortunately I don't think the seller has it any longer. These kids unfortunately don't know the value and importance of these items. Not sure what to do in this regard.

The funny thing is, the fretwear and condition of the neck is pretty much brand new, with some minor wear here and there. I'm beginning to wonder whether this has been a wall-hanger for the better part of the past 35 years. The neck and frets are definitely genuine and original.

Really appreciate the detailed responses dspellman, steering me in the right direction for sure!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #12
HomerSGR
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Have you considered contacting Yamaha? How about contacting the Frets Guitar Center in the UK? They're one of the few places other than Japan that actually carried SG2000 and SG3000 stock this century (might even still do). In theory, we were supposed to be able to get SBG2000's in the modern era, but that was nearly impossible.

I bought my SG2000 new from Rich Tone Music in Sheffield, UK in 2011, but that's the only time I've seen new ones for sale. (It was 1600 GBP, which was far less for a Swede then than it is now.) I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression they have discontinued the classic models for the sake of the new take - SG1800's, eliminating everything that made these guitar unique. Look! Duncan or EMG pickups, SKB plastic case, rosewood fretboard, Tonepros bridge, Grover tuners. Thanks but no thanks, it's like buying an ESP Eclipse when I want a Gibson R9 Burst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
There ARE some original solid finishes for these beyond black. Some are quite rare, but were factory -- a bit of research will tell the tale there. Most weren't popular for a reason, though. The wine burst on the SG3000 is opaque, but may have been exclusive to that guitar (won't swear to it) -- for a long time it was the only alternative to a sparkly black finish for that particular guitar. Yamaha didn't put a lot of effort into the (usually) three piece maple tops on those guitars, so a very well done fill-in piece might pass mostly unnoticed.

Yamaha did a Vintage White SG2000 as a limited edition back in 2011, and it was one of the colours available when I bought mine. Looks really good, but I always wanted the classic brown sunburst.

I got into Yamaha SG's when I saw Thomas Silver of Hardcore Superstar play custom made SG2000's, particularly one in vintage white with three pickups and gold hardware, like a Gibson LP/SG Custom. It was just by pure luck that I managed to get a new one. Pics here:

http://guitarz.blogspot.se/2010/05/...om-yamahas.html

And now we got Phil X... Have nothing against the guy, but the Custom SG's he has is about as exciting as a Buckethead LP sig is for someone who likes classic Les Pauls.

How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
mielieHobo

Thanks Homer, those SG's sure are amazing, especially that triple humbucker one. I have an Epi G400 Custom like that. Great sound.

I'm looking for a gold kahler (made of brass) now. Decided to embrace what I have and buy the original parts over time. Anyone know where I can get one a decent price?

It's way too costly. I'll be buying the original tone knobs soon.

Also, someone has recommended I put in CTS pots (I'll retain the originals ofcourse). Which ones should I go for? I'd also like to add in coil splits on the two tone knobs while I'm at it.

Rate This Thread: