Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #3701
end_citizen
New bird. Flightless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab_Philosofer
So I got me an old Raven hollowbody at the pawn shop, it needs a new nut of which I want replace with a Tusq brand nut. The nut has strange dimensions and is quite narrow, so my question would be; is it wiser to buy a thicker nut with similar height and width and sand the nut down two or three mm, or sand down the truss rod cover to match the nut?

Buy the fat nut and sand it to fit.

Learn the gist of tube amps
end_citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #3702
Arab_Philosofer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by end_citizen
Buy the fat nut and sand it to fit.

That's what I did, although I just got a cheap plastic nut for now.
F*cker sure was fat.
Arab_Philosofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #3703
calebrocker
Awesome User

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a Carvin built for me in the next few months, and I wanted to get some "wood experts'" opinions on the types of woods I am wanting to use. I have not seen many guitars around with this wood setup so I was wondering if it would sound good.

Mahogany body and neck, a ruby red quilted maple top, stainless steel jumbo frets, with tung oil finish on the back of the neck and the fingerboard, and the fingerboard being birdseye maple.

I was wondering if the maple fingerboard would totally clash with the warmth of the mahogany neck and body. I like how maple looks compared to ebony and rosewood for fingerboards, plus I really like the density of it and the snap it brings to your tone. I'm wanting the mahogany body and neck because I like the full and warm sound it has. I love the sound of an SG but they use rosewood fingerboards mostly, and it would look weird with the bright red finish. I've also been reading up on Koa guitars and they're looking like that happy medium I'm wanting so if anyone has opinions on that, I'd like to hear them as well.

My current guitar is an old 80s Charvel, it's basswood with a quilted maple top and a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and the sound is good when I'm playing up high, but it really just doesn't punch like I want when I'm playing lower frequencies.

Thanks for the help

I want it to look like this :

but sound like this

I'd be doing a Suhr pickup swap too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!

Last edited by calebrocker : 10-12-2012 at 11:53 PM.
calebrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #3704
deathbycontrol
*insert awesome here*

I bought a body from a Jackson Dinky with nothing in it, and it was routed for a Floyd Rose. Will any FR fit, or would I need to get a specific one? Thanks! :3
deathbycontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #3705
DJMonty

I'm putting an old guitar into the shell of a NES. However, the pickguard is too large to put directly onto the console. Could I get a 1:1 scale design of a SSS strat pickguard, please?
DJMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #3706
samuel.p.reed

Hello folks replacing the jack on my gretsch electromatic jimmy C custom and I have never done my own guitar tech so Im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what makes a good jack socket.
samuel.p.reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #3707
Major Sparky

Hey, what's the easiest way to finish a strat neck and give it that vintage tint?
Major Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #3708
repoTHEemo

It's possible I'm getting an all-white, maple neck stratocaster. The only thing is, will I be able to possibly spraypaint the body a different color without it looking cheap and/or chip when it's finished?
repoTHEemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #3709
cminxi

Where is the best place to purchase veneers for electric guitars online? I'm trying to mod my Squier and I'm looking for some maple (probably quilted or spalted). Also, for stripping paint, will any kind of chemical paint stripper work or do I need to get a specific type for wood?

Thanks!
cminxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #3710
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

I painted my guitar and holy crap ! it turned out like shit, i'm rubbish at DIY...
What's the fastest way to strip the paint off ? i'm sick of sandpaper...

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #3711
Tmusician

How do you lower the action on a bolt-on electric guitar? I remember something about a small piece of wood between the neck and the body but don't remember the details.

Edit: Hmmm it looks like this thread is a dud. Just a bunch of endless unanswered questions.
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #3712
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmusician
How do you lower the action on a bolt-on electric guitar? I remember something about a small piece of wood between the neck and the body but don't remember the details.

Edit: Hmmm it looks like this thread is a dud. Just a bunch of endless unanswered questions.

Putting a shim in the neck pocket is NOT the first way to go about it. Go to the "Electric guitar" section and look up "the ultimate setup guide", That'll show you how to do it.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #3713
Tmusician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
Putting a shim in the neck pocket is NOT the first way to go about it. Go to the "Electric guitar" section and look up "the ultimate setup guide", That'll show you how to do it.

Thank you, you proved me wrong about this thread. I forgot about the thread, it's a good one. :P
Tmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #3714
Chainer

Hey guys, I got a quick question for ya:

I've been modding my Strat for a while, it's a Japanese Contemporary with no pickguard. I put two Cool Rails mini-buckers into the neck and middle position, but they don't fit exactly. The screw holes don't align, and I had to route out a little bit of space to fit them in.
My question is about the screw holes, what could I do to plug the old holes and put in new ones? The spots for the new ones would only slightly be outside of the old ones, so I wasn't sure if you could just plug it with filler or something..

Thanks for any help guys!
Chainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #3715
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainer
Hey guys, I got a quick question for ya:

I've been modding my Strat for a while, it's a Japanese Contemporary with no pickguard. I put two Cool Rails mini-buckers into the neck and middle position, but they don't fit exactly. The screw holes don't align, and I had to route out a little bit of space to fit them in.
My question is about the screw holes, what could I do to plug the old holes and put in new ones? The spots for the new ones would only slightly be outside of the old ones, so I wasn't sure if you could just plug it with filler or something..

Thanks for any help guys!

you could wood glue a dowel/toothpick into the hole and then drill a new one where needed.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #3716
Chainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
you could wood glue a dowel/toothpick into the hole and then drill a new one where needed.

Good idea man! Didn't think of that! Thanks buddy
Chainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #3717
XEasyTarget

Just a quick one: I want to re-paint a cheap strat copy. It has a solid blue poly finish, and I will be replacing it with a cream poly finish. Will I need to completely remove the blue and all the undercoats, or can I just take off a few layers and cover it up with the new colour?

Thanks
Ditto Looper
XEasyTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #3718
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEasyTarget
Just a quick one: I want to re-paint a cheap strat copy. It has a solid blue poly finish, and I will be replacing it with a cream poly finish. Will I need to completely remove the blue and all the undercoats, or can I just take off a few layers and cover it up with the new colour?

Thanks

If I were you I'd sand it all the way down just to be safe.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #3719
XEasyTarget

gotcha. But safe from what? What might happen if I don't sand all the way down? Will the old colour show through? or will the new paint not stick?
Ditto Looper
XEasyTarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #3720
Viban
UG's resident bum

Well you should sand regardless to help the paint stick, But I'd be afraid of the old color showing through as white often does allow things to show through. Plus you don't want a really thick coating of guitar finishes on there, they get easier to crack when they're thicker.

Rate This Thread: