Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRavioli

If that's Holdsworth's voice, he should try singing

He has indeed sung before, on At The Edge (from the rather bland, drumless The Things You See album). It's too bad he had to go all experimental on his '80s albums, with those ghastly female vox by Rowanne Mark (and Naomi Starr on Wardenclyffe Tower). That awful caterwauling damn near ruins some of the songs.

And I'm probably blaspheming by saying this, but... I've never really dug '70s Holdsworth. He hadn't yet crafted his crazy style and tone by then, and the bands he played with (having listened to some of their albums) have never captured my attention. I would say the moment I.O.U. was released, the real Holdsworth was born. Thank goodness for that day, and the fact that he's never really changed up.

... Kinda like Malmsteen, but in a good way. In all honesty, there's absolutely nothing about Holdsworth's albums or playing that I'd change! More frequent releases would be about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegrinder#9
yes. Thank heavens for someone who actually agrees with me on this.

Wow, a non-Govan fan on UG? I didn't think such a breed existed.

Last edited by DaFjory : 09-29-2009 at 07:38 PM.
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #22
tomohawkjoe
Up For Crabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulShredder
PREPARE TO DIE!!!!
and "54 duncan terrace" which doesnt exist on youtube.

This is quite possibly my favorite AH song next to City Nights. Pretty much all of Secrets is amazing actually.
cuz now your life is done
tomohawkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #23
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

So, any fellow diehard advocates of Hard Hat Area? I've gone on and on about it before in other threads around here, but it needs a mention now that we're actually engaging in proper discussion about the great man.

Yeah, I just love that CD to death. It's Holdsworth at his best IMO - tonally, musically, technique-wise, album structure, album length; the works.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #24
MRavioli
Thread Killer

I'm a diehard advocate of Road Games and Metal Fatigue. The first album I got was Secrets, but I was just freaked out about Holdsworth because the music was so insane. I decided to try again and fell in love with Metal Fatigue. I got Secrets again, though.
Carvin X212B
MRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #25
lobster624
stop that

those are the only two holdsworth albums i have listened to. metal fatigue is my favorite of the two, but they are both so awesome. i have been meaning to check out IOU and hard hat area, but i always forget. i actually believe DaFjory was the one to recommend me those two albums a while back.
lobster624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #26
josippesut

Just listened to 'Road Games' today.. He's incredible..
josippesut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #27
MRavioli
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothongz
I kinda feel hes a little overrated. Yes, he has an awesome legato technique and is a really smooth player, but is he really THAT good? I find players like Guthrie Govan, who plays just as technical stuff, much more listenable to, more melodic.

Maybe I haven't listened to enough of his songs, but it all just seems like soulless random playing.

Just my opinion *puts flame shield up*

I can see why you might say that, but 'overrated' is totally the wrong choice of word. Think about it. Overrated amongst WHO? I had to post this in a different sub-forum just for this artist to get more discussion.

It sounds fairly soulless because there are no bends in his soloing, as is most jazz. I found it kind of hard to see emotion in Coltrane's Giant Steps.
Carvin X212B
Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #28
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobster624
those are the only two holdsworth albums i have listened to. metal fatigue is my favorite of the two, but they are both so awesome. i have been meaning to check out IOU and hard hat area, but i always forget. i actually believe DaFjory was the one to recommend me those two albums a while back.

One really can't go wrong with that pairing - although they're hugely different, with I.O.U. having a lot of crappy vox ('courtesy' of Paul Williams) and raw production, whilst Hard Hat Area is entirely instrumental and crystal clear in terms of sound quality.

If anyone were to want to particularly hear his most insane and ferocious playing, I'd say Hard Hat Area and Heavy Machinery (with Jens and Anders Johansson) are the best places to look. He absolutely rips it up.

From the '90s, Wardenclyffe Tower and The Sixteen Men Of Tain are also very good. They, too, contain some undeniable classics of his. Other stuff I wouldn't exactly recommend, but would merely suggest for the curious...

- Flat Tire (completely SynthAxe-dominated experimental stuff)
- Sand (all-instrumental, a bit boring in parts, but has some classic cuts)
- Velvet Darkness (the infamous, unspectacular, 'unofficial' debut album which he hates so vehemently).

Quote:
It sounds fairly soulless because there are no bends in his soloing

Well damn, you're right. I hadn't realised that until now. The most he ever does in terms of vibrato is subtle whammying, and that gargling thing where you tug back the bar really hard and let it go. Otherwise it's all just straight-up notes and chords all over the place.

Last edited by DaFjory : 09-29-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #29
MRavioli
Thread Killer

Yeah. The whammy bar thing is 'fluttering' I think.

Why does Holdsworth hate Velvet Darkness?

I don't think I found Wardenclyffe Tower on the internet, though.
Carvin X212B
Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 AM   #30
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser

i downloaded Velvet darkness and thought it was crap.

also, MRavioli, forgive my ego but, didnt I get you into jaco?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 AM   #31
Axegrinder#9
I pwn You

Quote:

I don't know if you're aware of it - but that album was basically a pretty rough jam session that the record label released without Holdsworth's consent. Holdsworth was never fond of the material, and he really comes down hard on the record company for screwing around like that..
Axegrinder#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #32
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegrinder#9
I don't know if you're aware of it - but that album was basically a pretty rough jam session that the record label released without Holdsworth's consent. Holdsworth was never fond of the material, and he really comes down hard on the record company for screwing around like that..

I was not aware of that, actually, I was only aware that he hated it.
stupid record companies trying to get undeserved money.
tut tut tut.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #33
MRavioli
Thread Killer

Quote:

also, MRavioli, forgive my ego but, didnt I get you into jaco?

Well, Weather Report, specifically. And I'm damn happy that you did.

I probably won't dld Velvet Darkness. I would hate for my image of an immaculate Holdsworth to be tarnished.
Carvin X212B
Old 09-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #34
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
I probably won't dld Velvet Darkness. I would hate for my image of an immaculate Holdsworth to be tarnished.

It's not horrendous by any means... the quality just isn't up to the usual standard set by him (obviously, since by his own account it was nothing more than a rehearsal session), and overall it's very boring fusion with too much acoustic shit thrown in. It is what it is.

I downloaded it out of curiosity, and ended up buying it just for completeness - sorry, Allan!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #35
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser

Ahhh but I just remembered. the song "Kinder" is some pretty phenomenal "acoustic ****" and Im pretty sure there might be some pulloffs in that song.

saw him play it live on some vid on YT ages ago...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:35 AM   #36
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you

Location: Friday night beneath the stars, in a field behind your yard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFjory
It's not horrendous by any means... the quality just isn't up to the usual standard set by him (obviously, since by his own account it was nothing more than a rehearsal session), and overall it's very boring fusion with too much acoustic shit thrown in. It is what it is.

I downloaded it out of curiosity, and ended up buying it just for completeness - sorry, Allan!

I forgive you.

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Alter-Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #37
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter-Bridge
I forgive you.

wait what?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #38
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Leave Them On should be a song on Snakes And Ladders (the new album which should've come out last year, according to the man himself when I spoke to him in late '07).
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #39
MRavioli
Thread Killer

Oh, wow that's really short hair.

you spoke to Holdsworth? Tell us, did you have to remove your sandals when he spoke?

he still records?
Carvin X212B
Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #40
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
you spoke to Holdsworth? Tell us, did you have to remove your sandals when he spoke?

he still records?

More like I had to control my shaking, like a true little fanboy. I was waiting around for a bit at the stage area after him the band had finished their set, upon which I whirled around and saw him standing right in front of me - "ALLAN! Oh my god... Please sign my Hard Hat Area CD! Oh man... Thanks so much. You're the greatest!" And yeah, he's bloody tall (I'd say about 6' 2" or thereabouts) and has those famously mahoosive hands. When you see him up close doing his thing, he makes a guitar look like a toy whilst playing.

Besides that, I asked him if he had anything new in the works and he said there'd be a new album "next year" (2008). According to an interview, that album should indeed have been released last year... Too bad Vai can't give him a kick up the arse and tell him to hurry it along. It's been much too long since Flat Tire.

At least the main thing is that he's active. I guess he may be holding out from releasing anything because his main income is that of touring. Since he's had so many bad experiences with labels in the past, he's probably wary to cling on for dear life to any material he's recorded for fear of getting shafted yet again. I remember reading somewhere that Favored Nations is actually a crap label for which to be signed...

Rate This Thread: