Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #81
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBurningFish
Quite a shreddy bit of nonsense for him, so maybe some of the Buckethead/satch/etc. fans may be able to relate to it a bit more.

Satch and Buckethead are shreddy nonsense?

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #82
MRavioli
Thread Killer

afaik, Satriani never alt. picks really fast.

If only I could get that legato volume.
Also, my pinky seems to make a tiny pull-off sound when I do legato.
Carvin X212B
MRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #83
motoko

tbh i was never really impressed with his chord-melody approach. it sounded really boring to me, he should stick to his strengths

holdsworth is kinda controversial (same with al di meola, john mclaughlin etc), im not suprised it didnt get much of a response in the jazz forum
motoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #84
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoko
tbh i was never really impressed with his chord-melody approach. it sounded really boring to me, he should stick to his strengths

I feel the total opposite. Great chordal approach, boring lead playing.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #85
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

I think he's pretty damn good at both.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #86
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse

as do I. I LOVE his use of swells so much. The ground on my volume knob actually got loose cause i was swelling so much while playing "Shallow Sea"'s intro. Its also a 10 year old used guitar I got off eBay [it's MIJ though lol], so...

But yeah he's great at chordal work and lead. He does both at the same time to me in "Tokyo Dream".

Anyone have his tab book? I wanna know if it's correct before I Buy it. Ramm_ty told me it was incorrect in places, I just wanna confirm/disprove that before I decide to buy it
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Colton165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #87
Freepower

I have all the Holdsy books, even the out of print ones. As far as I can tell, it's correct, but bear in mind that I can't reach all the chords.

None of them contain any lead guitar, btw, although they do have the riffs from Toyko Dream and IIRC Road Games and such.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #88
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse

ah...

well then...

*cough* can you um send me some peeksies of some of those out of print tabs?

ill buy the books that are still available in due time, but um... help a brother out?

I have a few out of print Steve Morse tab books. [I shamelessly put up most of high tension wires guitar pro files i made without asking steves permission]

I told steve that when i met him a few weeks back and he said it was fine; but just not to do it anymore, just send to others through e-mail and private use, but he said what i had already done was OK.
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #89
Freepower

Nope, talked to the guy with the law degree in the mod forum, ain't happening.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #90
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse

Damn, that sucks. Means I'll have to wait for one to pop up on eBay. Theres a "Structural Damage" album tab book for the Steve Morse band on Amazon but its like $100+ so...

i wont be getting that.

I spent $120 on the tab books for Coast to Coast and High Tension Wires. Is that sad?
Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 AM   #91
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton165
I spent $120 on the tab books for Coast to Coast and High Tension Wires. Is that sad?

yes
Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #92
TheBurningFish
has a ****ing GODIN

Location: Lying on my back, thinking "Where in shitting crikey is my nose?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
Satch and Buckethead are shreddy nonsense?

Stop being a *** and trying to start an argument, because I did not say that Buckethead and Satch are shreddy nonsense, nor did I imply it. And if I did, it was not in an insulting manner. If you're so bored you're gonna be Mr internet smart arse, go outside.

Edit: On the topic of Holdsworth's legato volume, I suggest that you ever meet him, you take a good look at his hands. They are big meaty sunsabitches and long in the finger to boot. That combined with his really low action (which I think really means that the whole reverse hammer thing is a myth, you can practically just look at a fret hard enough and cause a note to ring out) makes his legato playing supreme. Plus, you know, years of practice, but who wants to hear that?

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies.
Fuck the lick and fuck you too.

Last edited by TheBurningFish : 11-30-2009 at 01:25 PM.
TheBurningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #93
Freepower

For someone who believes people who start arguments are asses, you seem pretty keen to join their ranks.

Cool down and explain what you meant if you feel you've been misrepresented, don't just insult the other person.

ED: And why would the reverse hammer thing be a myth if action was really low? If anything, it lends credence to the idea...
Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #94
TheBurningFish
has a ****ing GODIN

Location: Lying on my back, thinking "Where in shitting crikey is my nose?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
For someone who believes people who start arguments are asses, you seem pretty keen to join their ranks.

Cool down and explain what you meant if you feel you've been misrepresented, don't just insult the other person.

It is impossible for me to describe the amount of willpower it is taking me to refrain from saying "Yes, dad."

Although, in my defense, I didn't call him an ass. And I'm quite cool, thank you.

Maybe I over reacted, but I see people on the internet constantly who like to read something, immediately and purposefully take it out of context and it's original intention to start some crap, and I'm not in the mood for it. If this wasn't his intention then I apologise.

Edit: Yeah but it shows that it's not really something he practised, or perhaps even does intentionally (or discovered intentionally).

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies.
Fuck the lick and fuck you too.

Last edited by TheBurningFish : 11-30-2009 at 01:34 PM.
TheBurningFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #95
Freepower

I just guessed that *** was ass. I can't think of much else without an extra *.

Griff's pretty cool, I don't think you need to worry about him being an anon internet ***. I assume he was just puzzled. (as was I)

Regarding the hammeron backwards thing, yeah, it's definitely something he does intentionally, I've read plenty of interviews where he's talking about his quest to remove his few remaining pull-offs from his playing and how he started using the technique to avoid the sound of pull-offs.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #96
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Regarding the hammeron backwards thing, yeah, it's definitely something he does intentionally, I've read plenty of interviews where he's talking about his quest to remove his few remaining pull-offs from his playing and how he started using the technique to avoid the sound of pull-offs.

Confirmed. Those interviews are all over the net if one searches hard enough, and I sort of agree with him. I'm still avoiding regular pulls as much as I can.
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #97
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse

takes practice... changing something i thought was good and making it better altogether.

and, wishfulshredder; i dont think its sad to spend that much for music you love
Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #98
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton165
takes practice... changing something i thought was good and making it better altogether.

and, wishfulshredder; i dont think its sad to spend that much for music you love

hahaha I understand, I do the same thing (when I have spare money)
I just thought that it would be a funny answer to your question
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #99
Colton165
UG's Steve Morse

i figured lol.

and my parents fronted half for me and i paid them back.

anyone else think that the vocals on "Was There?" intro remind you of something middle-eastern almost?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #100
MRavioli
Thread Killer

Kind of.

I can't stand the vocals on 'In the Mystery', though.

In the mysteryyyyy
In the mysteryy...
In the mysteryyyyy
In the mysteryy...
In the mysteryyyyy
In the mysteryy...
Carvin X212B
MRavioli is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: