Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Hungryformore21
And God bless you all

Convince me mac is the way to go

I need a new computer and I want to start recording soon. I'm a pretty well practiced guitarist, but I know next to nothing about recording, DAW's, etc.

I've used Windows computers almost exclusively and I love them (albeit I'm not fond of windows 8 for aesthetic reasons). I know you can buy a comparable PC for half the price of a mac and customize it your heart's content.

On the other hand, I've never really used a mac. People who have them seem to think they're the bee's knees, and that makes me a little skeptical because I hate hype. Is mac really worth the extra money??? Is mac the ultimate computer for the aspiring artist??? Will it make me happy???

Objectively and subjectively, which OS has better DAW's, and, for that matter, better workflow? Keep in mind I don't just want to record guitar songs but I also want to start delving into EDM and synthpop (which probably isn't important but idk).

In essence: i know nothing about recording. I know about PCs. I don't know about macs. I also really love my PC's.

Oh and hey, I don't care about hardware because if I did I would go straight for a PC no question. This is about the OS and recording.

Last edited by Hungryformore21 : 07-16-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Hungryformore21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

It's not.

You don't need a mac.

The mac won't really give you self-fulfillment and eternal bliss the advertising and hype suggests and providing you aren't an idiot, you can do pretty much everything on a PC that you could on a mac. If price is no object, get whatever you feel in the mood for.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Weaponized
UG Member

once you go mac you never go back

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

If you're content with Windows there's no need to switch up everything you know. The industry standards such as Pro Tools and Cubase are available on both systems.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Both can be used for pretty much anything. Macs are largely standard in most industries that are focused on content creation (like "the arts"). There's probably reasons for that that go back to the 80s and 90s and the start of personal computing, but I don't know the history particularly well.

Both have almost the same major DAWs, with a few exceptions. Logic is OS X only, and there are probably some Windows only ones, but the old standbys like Cubase, Ableton, Pro Tools and Digital Performer are cross-platform. As is the most popular cheap option, Reaper.

I personally WAY prefer OS X, but I've been using it for a long time and am used to it. I think it's generally a much nicer experience than Windows, but there's nothing particularly special about it that makes it superior for audio production.

Also, there is going to be sooooo much anti-mac shit in here, so prepare yourself.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Hungryformore21
And God bless you all

Thanks, Jazz.

Everyone's input is welcome. I just mostly value the input of people who have either gone from PC to mac, or mac to PC.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

You could always go hackintosh and get the best of both worlds.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Cajundaddy

Macs are not flying unicorns but... they are very intuitive to use and they just work... all the time. No viruses, crashes are very rare but still possible, and interfacing with other things like printers, interfaces, wifi, phones, and cameras is almost too easy. I used Win exclusively since 3.1 and jumped ship during XP because I found my self spending several hours every week doing Win housekeeping maintenance chores instead of being productive.

I use Win 8 at work and Mac at home. For music, photos, video, and internet, I prefer Mac.

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” - SRV

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 07-16-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
SkepsisMetal
./.\.

You don't get anything that is mac exclusive which works better than anything you can get on both OSs.
Logic isn't fantastic, and is just like a slightly shabby version of Cubase in terms of workflow. And, arguably, Ableton is better than both and available for both. Though I personally prefer the UI of Cubase.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
EndTheRapture51
thank u based ramsey <3

Macs are for hipsters with too much money to spend. Buy a PC and spend your money on other stuff.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

I recorded just fine using a PC, Pro Tools, Cubase, and Reason. Your choice of OS doesn't matter immensely unless you want to use Logic Pro.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Both can be used for pretty much anything. Macs are largely standard in most industries that are focused on content creation (like "the arts"). There's probably reasons for that that go back to the 80s and 90s and the start of personal computing, but I don't know the history particularly well.

according to my old design teacher who said a few years ago something like:
back in the 90s mac computers bought out a company that was known for making good chips for graphic design and incorporated them into their high end ranges and so drew the graphic design and visual artist markets all to them. these were the days when actual computer hardware was still some incomprehensible thing to majority of people and they saw the computer as just a box to turn on an off. there wasn't the huge swathes of IT expertise like today so unless you got expensive consultants in to tailor build for you, you just went on word of mouth and bought the nice, tidy, complete mac package.

At some point the recording dudes jumped in on the bandwagon, not sure why. may have just been tv studios and such using them for video editing and just having the sound guys work on them too. nowadays with custom builds being super easy there's less reason to rely on one company to provide you with the 'best' total graphics machine or whatever.

I think he was bullshitting to an extent but I remember researching it a bit and seemed to be somewhat true.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Trowzaa
munchy crunchy

If you buy a Mac then you turn into an elitist prick, I've seen.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
according to my old design teacher who said a few years ago something like:
back in the 90s mac computers bought out a company that was known for making good chips for graphic design and incorporated them into their high end ranges and so drew the graphic design and visual artist markets all to them. these were the days when actual computer hardware was still some incomprehensible thing to majority of people and they saw the computer as just a box to turn on an off. there wasn't the huge swathes of IT expertise like today so unless you got expensive consultants in to tailor build for you, you just went on word of mouth and bought the nice, tidy, complete mac package.

At some point the recording dudes jumped in on the bandwagon, not sure why. may have just been tv studios and such using them for video editing and just having the sound guys work on them too. nowadays with custom builds being super easy there's less reason to rely on one company to provide you with the 'best' total graphics machine or whatever.

I think he was bullshitting to an extent but I remember researching it a bit and seemed to be somewhat true

Yeah that sounds about right. I know graphics designers liked them because of font packs or something like that? Basically they just came out with better tools earlier and so everyone flocked to them and never moved back.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah that sounds about right. I know graphics designers liked them because of font packs or something like that? Basically they just came out with better tools earlier and so everyone flocked to them and never moved back.

yeah I remember him saying it had a lot of features good for visual design in the hardware and bundled software, so for your average design company back then, it was less hassle and expense going for a mac with everything all taken care of. these days with pretty much everyone having dedicated IT people and computer building being super easy it's not as attractive to just have apple take care of it all for you.

obviously an extension of mac's treatment of consumers for a while (and still? I dunno, don't pay attention to them really...) which is fair enough when you have a populace who aren't computer literate like back then, but is a bit silly these days when most people know enough about computers to know exactly what they need out of their machine.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

OSX definitely comes with little attention to detail that are appreciated for certain professional applications. There are lot of photography/visual design/audio bits that Windows just does not have built in. Utilities such as Audio MIDI Setup makes it possible to route complex audio and MIDI connections. Other little things such as built-in remote desktop makes it easy to administer. And Windows still does not have a comprehensive backup solution, since its file system is so convoluted.

My New Workstation
Old 07-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper

Its not
Wiegenlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #18
Hungryformore21
And God bless you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
OSX definitely comes with little attention to detail that are appreciated for certain professional applications. There are lot of photography/visual design/audio bits that Windows just does not have built in. Utilities such as Audio MIDI Setup makes it possible to route complex audio and MIDI connections.

Little things like that make a difference, I think.

I want my computer to be a tool specifically for music.

___

Imagine my computer was a guitar/piano/whatever: its only purpose is to play music (bad analogy, sue me)

Can I rely on it to be dependable when I need it? Will it work well with my other musical equipment? Can it be used in a live setting? I know mac can do these things, but does it do it that much better than PC?

These are the burning questions that keep me awake at night.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #19
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

When I was playing live with a band I was running my macbook for sound processing from my guitar.

It is a great live device, very solid and easy to handle, both form and function.

It just feels weird trying to convince. Just buy it and try it out. You can always return. Just another perk of capitalism.

My New Workstation
Old 07-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
captainsnazz
no

Switched from windows to mac about 7 years ago and the improvement in my general quality of life was so vast that I couldn't even imagine having to use windows for any extended period of time any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
Anyone who needs a degree to think their good isn't doing music right, it's like taking a class in being funny.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: