Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #21
seamanse237

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris

Why does my voice ‘not sound like me’ when I hear a recording of it?

When you hear someone else's voice, or when someone else hears your voice, the voice is heard as the sound waves travel through the room and eventually arrive at your ear drum. Those sound waves are subject to a small degree to the conditions of the room.

When you hear your own voice, you hear it distorted by two factors. One, your ears are behind your mouth, so you are hearing your voice from an unusual direction. A more significant factor, though, is the fact that as your vocal cords vibrate and produce sound, that sound resonates in your chest and/or your sinus cavities before coming out of your mouth as sound. You actually sense the vibrations that occur as part of this resonance and perceive it as sound. That sound travels through the various parts of your body before arriving at the inner ear, and that sound is then mixed with the sound that comes out of your mouth. It's almost like your voice is being blended with a second, different voice that nobody else except you hears. When you hear your voice on tape, you are hearing it without the mixing of that familiar "second" voice.

CT

Okay I've got a question about this one. I think that I sing pretty good (I play guitar and it seems to sync up to me) and I know that the sound others hear of my voice is different from the sound I hear myself making because of the vocal chord vibration and the sound waves coming out of my sinus cavities and whatnot.

Heres the question... even though it sounds different, is the PITCH itself different? Something can sound different but be the same note you know what I mean? I have a good ear thanks to the guitar and can tune that easily so I HOPE that my pitch is about where I am hearing it but it seems like you're telling me otherwise.

Normally I'd just use some kind of a microphone and record myself playing the guitar and singing to it but the only ones I have that record are the shitty sound recorder on my moms ipod and the even WORSE sound recorder on my cell phone. Literally they're awful.

I ask this because I have been singing for people almost 5 years now. I have not had many complaints but at the same time I would walk up to someone who was singing and playing guitar, punch him in the face, step on his guitar and be like QUIT SINGING YOU SUCK. I chalk it up to the "politeness" of my audience (its usually my family) but I'm a pretty big and physically threatening guy to some people so I just dont think I'd get the 100% percent honest to god truth about what someone thought of my singing.

If I find out I've been singing like a HALF-note under the real pitch all this time I am gonna be embarassed but happy I know about it. I have my first band practice next week and I'd like to look forward to NOT ****ing it up entirely.
seamanse237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
LOLyer

I was all bummed out that I was going to have to hire a vocal teacher until you compared it with needing a teacher to learn guitar.

I am adamant that guitar teachers are a waste of money, and the only thing that really matters is practice. I learned to play guitar (pretty proficiently, I might add) and a respectable amount of music theory with no help other than this website and lots of practice.

I'm hoping to do the same with vocals. Is that possible?
LOLyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #23
SingingSabre
Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLyer
I was all bummed out that I was going to have to hire a vocal teacher until you compared it with needing a teacher to learn guitar.

I am adamant that guitar teachers are a waste of money, and the only thing that really matters is practice. I learned to play guitar (pretty proficiently, I might add) and a respectable amount of music theory with no help other than this website and lots of practice.

I'm hoping to do the same with vocals. Is that possible?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: guitar (and many other instruments) are a matter of placing the right digits in the right place at the right time. You can't see or feel your voice like you can your hands, the vocal folds are just not as dexterous or visual as your hands. A vocal coach will know what to listen to and how things are working to get you singing in a way which gives you control over your tone, volume, and a host of other things. More than that, they'll do it in a way which is safe and sustainable.

FFS, invest in your art. You spend hundreds of dollars on a guitar, small amounts on strings, even more on gear, and plenty of time on practice. Put a little money into the one instrument that you can't forget to bring with you.

Rate This Thread: