Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Hrm.... damn.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
vict
Outvile

So can you find some videos (or give a clue where i can) about this bel Canto tech? Main thing I want is to hear good example of its use.
vict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #23
nght12

Another good exercise that I have been using to increase the range on my Phyreangal Falsetto/Head Voice screams (Halford style) are basically sirens.

I start on the Lowest note I can hit in Falsetto and then jump to an octave up in falsetto.
I then go to the next note up in the scale from the lowest note, then I jump to an octave up from that note. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I also do this during warm-ups so I can get into my range easier when I start singing.
nght12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
Spacecowgirled
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
I'll give this a shot.

Vowels are what gives each word a sound. Therefore it is important to work on the sounds you create singing by working on vowels.

Start with any note, and drone it with the vowels A, E, I, O, U.

I really should post a clip of what it sounds like, but without stopping you go;

AAAAAAEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU

Then shift it up a little/down a little.

I did this and my dog ran over to me and laid his head in my lap, as if he was concerned about me. Lol. XD
Spacecowgirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #25
pistols
i no longer like chicken

i can't really afford vocal lessons, especially since i think i have a pretty terrible voice, and i'd like to see if it's actually any good before i start getting them. but even if i do decide to get lessons i probably won't be able to for a while.

so, my questions: are there any simple exercises (particularly involving technique) that don't really require a teacher? if i recorded myself singing with what i presume would be incorrect technique (just to see if i'm any good) would that sound drastically different to correct technique (for example, if i had a kind of gravelly tone or something, would it sound slightly smoother if i had the correct technique)?
and would it be bad for me to chuck on an album that goes for around 40 minutes, and sing along with that once a week?

cheers.

that is what girls find attractive.
pistols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #26
pistols
i no longer like chicken

can anyone help? i was also wondering if singing success is useful even to people who don't have a teacher...everyone here seems to say you need a teacher, but i've heard a lot of people saying they ditched their teachers after buying it.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #27
auratohna
God Amongst Men

Alright, so my choir teacher (i know, rock and choir are different genres)
is having me do these excersises that make me feel like i'm frying my throat. And i'm kind of getting sick of it. Her excersises are the basic do-re-mi-fa-sol-lo-ti-da reverse. and what not, but she won't teach me how to get my voice similar to the point of Escape The Fate's Ronnie or The Devil Wears Prada's lead/screamer.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #28
auratohna
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by auratohna
is having me do these excersises that make me feel like i'm frying my throat. And i'm kind of getting sick of it. Her excersises are the basic do-re-mi-fa-sol-lo-ti-da reverse. and what not, but she won't teach me how to get my voice similar to the point of Escape The Fate's Ronnie or The Devil Wears Prada's lead/screamer.

Okay, before I get shit for this, I meant as in like similar to theirs. Not exactly like it
Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #29
Black Star
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by auratohna

Have you tried completely relaxing your throat while you sing? If your throat is tense, it's going to have that feeling to it.

As for her not teaching you that vocal style, I don't blame her. It's very easy to destroy your vocals that way, and choir directors have too much respect for the voice to do that much abuse to it.
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Black Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #30
Mahjoe Jazz

An exercise I used to do was to pick a note and start holding it down for a few seconds followed by singing that same note but an octave higher.. once you got the note on both octaves you start going up or down, whatever you prefer..
Of course you gotta keep in mind to portion your air..
Mahjoe Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #31
auratohna
God Amongst Men

How about getting notes that are high like Shaant from Cute.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #32
llisyspa67
Banned

One Vocal exercise is
"One- One two one- one two three two one- one two three four three two one- one two three four five four three two one- one two three four five six five four three two one- one two three four five six sev six five four three two one- one two three four five six sev one sev six five four three two one" To make it a bit challenging, choose a number and replace saying that number with a clap of the hands, like "One two *clap* four five four *clap* two one"
do it everyday........
Old 05-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #33
cutecub00
Banned

hello,

warm ups... i think i am not doing warmup. actually i just sing first for the lower note songs and slowly going higher as my voice is awakening. And doing this everyday is very nice, your voice will become more beautiful.

thanks,
voucher codes
discount vouchers

Last edited by cutecub00 : 05-17-2010 at 08:43 AM.
cutecub00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 AM   #34
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistols
can anyone help? i was also wondering if singing success is useful even to people who don't have a teacher...everyone here seems to say you need a teacher, but i've heard a lot of people saying they ditched their teachers after buying it.

Wowzers! You're in Canberra too!

I was actually given a pirated version of Singing Success for my birthday a couple of years ago. It is good, but still doesn't give you constant feedback, or is able to recognise what you personally have to work on for your singing.

My singing teacher in Canberra is actually very good. I can PM you her details if you're interested. If she's booked out she can at least point you in the direction of another good teacher.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #35
RaiLeff

I personally bought Bret Manning's singing sessions... they're great!!!
Im used to sing really bad.. now people's ears dont blow off!
RaiLeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #36
Slayertplsko

Well, this is for the guy who asked for exercises. Yes, exercises will make your voice sound better if executed correctly. That's what they were created for, aye?

First you need to make sure about a few basic things. You should stand up straight, but your shoulders should remain naturally down, so that you don't have some kind of an artificial military posture. Now, as you breath in, I suggest doing so through your mouth, and seeing that your whole waist expands (=breathing low, to stomach). You don't want to raise your shoulders or chest. Also to add power to your tone, contracting your abs downwards is crucial. It feels sort of like blowing a candle (notice how your abs contract). This is the only way you want to contract your abs (do not tense them as if someone punched you or anything else) - this is referred to as support. Contrary to a quite popular myth, support IS NOT pushing a lot of air with your diaphragm. You should push only as much air as you need to vocalize on that tone. In fact, you need only as much air that when you sing an open vowel and put a lit candle before your mouth, the flame is not affected. Therefore it's good to imagine that your in fact inhaling (even though you're doing the opposite!). This will make sure that you're not too breathy. Now as you execute that tone, make sure you direct it to the soft palate and try to feel your teeth buzzing from that vibration. Keep your throat open so that you don't sound nasal. There is a reliable test for this. Pinch your nose and sing something. If this affects your tone, then you have to open your throat a bit more, because your tone must remain unaffected by pinching your nose. To feel the sensation of an open throat, yawn. I think I explained everything important.

Now, just a little pointer. When doing exercises (or singing for that matter), there are some drinks that can keep your voice in good condition. First, I suggest a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice (just squeeze s little in your mouth), but no more. I once drank a cup of lemon juice in belief it would help my voice, but in such amounts it does the exact opposite. Sipping hot water with honey can help, too. Just put one tablespoon of honey in a cup and add to about 1/3 of cold water, then fill the other 2/3 with boiling water (honey shouldn't be mixed with boiling water, that's why I mix cold+boiling). And finally a lot of room-temperature water. Drink this always, because your vocal folds need to be hydrated and fresh water is best for this.

Before doing the actual exercises, there are some warm-ups that others already mentioned - lip bubbles, gargling, humming, zzzz sound, nnnn sound etc. From 10 to 30 minutes of these is essential, especially if it's morning.

Now when you feel you're ready, let's tackle some real exercises.
1, portamento exercises
There are waaay too many variations of this exercise, but I suggest using octave slides. Begin on a pitch in the lower part of your range, sustain it for two to four seconds and slide slooowly up an octave and then sustain it until you run out of breath. This is best done in your full voice (but not shouting), it's a full-out exercise. Then continue upscale until you reach your highest pitch. Let's say you started on C3, slided up to C4 and sustained. Then you started on C#3, slided up to C#4 and sustained...all the way up to F3->F4 slide. Now come back to C3, slide up to C4, hold for a few seconds, and slide back down and sustain. Then B2, up to B3, back to B2 and sustain. And continue downscale until you reach your lowest pitch. It's equally important to train your bottom, so don't neglect it, ok?

2, mesa di voce (spelling?)
As the name suggests, this is an old Italian exercise. This is probably the toughest exercise out there, but very beneficial. Choose a pitch that is somewhere above the halfway of your range (let's say you're a baritone with a comfortable range from G2 to Eb4, so you may pick anywhere between A3 and C4). Execute the pitch with a small falsetto-like soft tone (but not whispering), but I want you to keep it ''breath-free'' (not using too much air). Now start increasing the volume. To do this, it's helpful if you imagine a beam pointing out of your mouth (=this will be your tone). First this beam is very tiny and not too flashy, but it will be becoming increasingly flashy and really wide, too. Also, ab support (read above) is absolutely crucial here. For the first week, you may be performing crescendo (increasing volume), the second weak you may change it to diminuendo (decreasing volume) and then the third week you may combine it (crescendo and then diminuendo on a single breath). Just like the above exercise, continue upscale by half-steps and then come back to the original pitch and work downscale.

3, sustaining the tone
Nothing really to explain here. Just sustain a tone in your full voice for as long as you can. This is a great breathing exercise. Start on a comfortable tone, then work upscale and then downscale. Use a stopwatch if you want.

And remember to RELAX!! NEVER STRAIN!!

After you perform these three exercises, you can proceed to some singing (I mean songs) or some endurance exercises (scales and the likes). Or you can leave it at that. But when you're finished, always cool down. Just perform a few of the warm-ups and it'll be fine.

You might want to consider these books:
http://books.google.com/books?id=RP...0manual&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=GK...epage&q&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=I0...epage&q&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=qZ...urvival&f=false

Go ahead!

Last edited by Slayertplsko : 05-25-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Slayertplsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #37
veggielover

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
It's broken up into nine parts, with the ninth clip being vocal exercises. There are, I think three there that are *exactly* the ones I did in my lessons and do with my students.

http://belcanto.myseriestv.com/showList.php

CT

I watched the first two and they were very good. The best explanations I have seen among many singing DVD's and youtube videos. But that lady in the video was very distracting
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #38
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Yes, I see they're working again.

The man in the video is my instructor. He was the youngest tenor (at the time anyways) to ever join the Metropolitan Opera and has taught a lot of people in the Canadian music industry - Brian Vollmer from Helix, Gill Moore from Triumph, Andy Curran, Daniel Lanois, etc.

Though the video is very good, learning the technique really does require having someone sit with you and lead you through it, though.

@slayert - a couple of corrections. You should not push or contract with the diaphragm. Support comes from holding the diaphragm outwards, as if it were still filled with air. Check out the bottom part, "the hold of the breath" for more. http://thebelcantotechnique.now-her...id=33&Itemid=35

Second, never aim the sound at the soft palate. The soft palate will merely absorb the sound and you will have to work much harder to create a tone. Compare beating the bejeezus out of a beanbag chair with a baseball bat to rapping easily on a large garbage bin. The latter represents the volume and ease you will get by aiming sound at your hard palate.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #39
auratohna
God Amongst Men

What are some warmups I should be doing for metalcore singing? If you have any, please comment them onto my profile
Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 AM   #40
pistols
i no longer like chicken

sorry i haven't checked in on your responses, i thought i had. must have been on a different thread.

slayert, cheers for the exercises, i'll try them out.

alan: the details would be great. won't be able to afford lessons for a little while though.
also, would it be worth it to get singing success anyway? or does that style kind of conflict with the teachers style?
i was thinking it might be good to get that, and then when i have more money coming in, get lessons.

cheers.

Rate This Thread: