Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #41
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member

The Aussie Vocal Coach channel on Youtube has a 20 minute warmup and a few exercises, I've recorded them all onto a big mp3 file and do them every day. They seem to be quite good, although I do have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 AM   #42
lew255
UG Newbie

Check out my music its brilliant, I tried to find my own videos on youtube Becasue I forgot my username and my videos popped up. The sound and video arent brilliant but the guitaring on "Here I Am Again" And my original songs arre great, take a look, also I found myself on facebook!

LYRICS ARE BRILLIANT I'M ONLY 17

**facebook and youtube links removed**

**fixed by axemanchris**
lew255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #43
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member

^This isn't exactly the most viewed thread in the forum, why the arse did you choose this one to post spam in?
Old 07-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #44
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

^ That's okay. I fixed it for him.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #45
Mattofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew255
Check out my music its brilliant, I tried to find my own videos on youtube Becasue I forgot my username and my videos popped up. The sound and video arent brilliant but the guitaring on "Here I Am Again" And my original songs arre great, take a look, also I found myself on facebook!

LYRICS ARE BRILLIANT I'M ONLY 17

**facebook and youtube links removed**

**fixed by axemanchris**

This exercise actually works. *thumbs up*
Mattofla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #46
sweetsinger101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankthebank
Hey, i have a question about warming up exercises... are there any really good ones that i could do (like on a youtube video or something)?

And also, how long should you do a warm up for? How many?

Thanks,
AJ

AJ,
I usually warm up right before I perform and just do it long enough till my voice doesn't crack or slip. And i usually try and warm up with the vowels.

Hope it helped!
sweetsinger101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #47
guitarsruleyeah
Banned

I love "youtubing" vocal warm ups and just following along. Great free resource.
guitarsruleyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #48
Anexa
Soprano on a Guitar Forum

MMmm my singing lessons are going to run out soon (and I can't currently afford more) so I'm going to record the next ones to try to help me remember the ones we use (though I'm taking lyrical/opera singing lessons, truest form of singing though if you want to be picky).. so maybe I can add that here after.

In the meantime though I can still contribute which what I remember and some youtube videos that are decent.

So with my teacher we warm up by stretching like a tree. Make sure shoulders are lose and you're comfortable, relaxed and free.

Then we do a little hum starting low and going up.

Afterwards we break into scales mainly and various "ya" "oiu" sounds etc.

This youtube video I really like and use when I am at home, it isn't long enough for my taste but it is well done:

After I poke at this one:

The videos are decent and you can actually find useful stuff on youtube
Anexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #49
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Iv recently found an exercise which is using an Egg, I have one made of stone but boiling an egg would work just find. Its said that a great opera singer could sing with a raw egg in his mouth without breaking it.

Place the big part of the egg in the back, this is raising your soft palate and pushing your tongue forward opening your throat. the narrow part of the egg will help you with forming your lips.

making the Ah sound you will see this helps a great deal with resonating (tone) and volume (projection). after you sing a few notes take the egg out and try singing a song..you will notice a difference.

Im sure you will be able to tell when the quality of your voice lowers and your projection and resonating is not as loud anymore. this means its time to use the egg again..

If your singing correctly and comfortability your voice should be very loud in your head.

don't knock it till ya try it!

check out my youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevenebowen
metalmetalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #50
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

Location: Down here at the Pawn Shop what has been sold not strictly made of stone just remember that it's flesh and bone
Will my voice improve by just singing more?
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Robbin'TheHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 AM   #51
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbin'TheHood
Will my voice improve by just singing more?

Of course it will robbin. But only by singing correctly and in your range. learning to sing out of your range will give you vocal flaws. A good technique should be acquired before worrying about how many notes you can hit

Vocal exsersizes and warm ups are great because not singing words and singing vowels and continents really help hear your vocal flaws, breathing exsersizes really gets you on the right track because you can not have a relaxed mouth without proper breath control.

Ever notice how some of those words just give you trouble while singing on higher notes?

you could literally learn to sing very well by just singing one note. the best note you can sing

check out my youtube

Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #52
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

Location: Down here at the Pawn Shop what has been sold not strictly made of stone just remember that it's flesh and bone
Got any more exercises and techniques for this style of singing?

BTW these excersizes really work
Quote:
Quote:
Too much Sublime.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #53
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Quote:
Got any more exercises and techniques for this style of singing?

BTW these exercises really work

Vocal exercises apply to all styles unless maybe yodeling or something and still im sure these exercises would help there too. But the very first place to start is your breathing learn how your diaphragm works aswell as your intercoastal muscles that surround your lungs.

Advice dont mimic other people, atleast pick someone that matches your natural voice. always focus on staying relaxed very important to have good breath support for that. no harm in enjoying yourself but stay in your range you should be more concerned with quality. you will gain extra notes over time.

I personally dont do lip trills anymore. I do light Hums, vowels and continents, tongue movements ta la te stuff. and the breathing exercises givin below.

http://belcanto.myseriestv.com/showList.php

Theres a few exercises there around lesson 7 or 8 some of the names are mixed up id listen to them all personally. I did

check out my youtube

Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #54
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

I can't get them to play^

EDIT: the website works, but the videos won't play on my computer( I don't know why). Could you explain the more usefull breathing techniques? Thanks for the help. BTW I played the flute/saxophone for 3 years and learned about the diaphram, does that apply to this at all?
Quote:
Quote:
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood : 02-02-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #55
metalmetalhead
Panterica

Im sure it does help.

for the breathing. pucker your lips like your sucking through a straw place the tip of your fingers on the center of your stomach. you want to imagine your trying to touch your spinal chord.

Inhale at a steady moderate pace using your diaphragm your chest should not bulge at all and your shoulders should remain normal your stomach should bulge, and when you push in on it, it should seem like a sponge.

Exhale 3 times about 3 seconds each time the last exhaling all breath. repeat this 5 times do it 20 times a day. first thing in the morning is the best time.

Before you begin to sing take in a breath and hold it. you what to get the feeling of holding your breath even as you exhale because your diaphragm does not push air out of your lungs. the elastic bands around your lungs called "intercoastal muscles" do that part. tricking your body into thinking your holding your breath allows your to use those. you want to keep your diaphragm in the lowed position as long as possible.

this is where the phrase "sing as if you was continuing to hold your breath" comes from.

You want air to get into your nasal cavities and project off your hard palate. you can not keep a relaxed mouth unless you have well trained breath support. dont focus on vibrato one day it will be there. and remember to always stay in your range and slowly go higher after you have perfected these techniques.

Smile a little when you sing aka mask of the face. and read this www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I hope all this helps it sure helps me im sure it will help you dont rush into things if you go a full day without any kind of pain or anything you have done great thats very important for moving forward as a singer. its no good if you can only sing 1 or 2 hours. sticking to your range really helps this part.

Dont force volume i find that its something you slowly build up, staying relaxed and comfortable is key. its natural to get a little louder in your higher notes. but never sacrifice volume for tone.

check out my youtube

Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #56
Anexa
Soprano on a Guitar Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmetalhead
Iv recently found an exercise which is using an Egg, I have one made of stone but boiling an egg would work just find. Its said that a great opera singer could sing with a raw egg in his mouth without breaking it.

Place the big part of the egg in the back, this is raising your soft palate and pushing your tongue forward opening your throat. the narrow part of the egg will help you with forming your lips.

making the Ah sound you will see this helps a great deal with resonating (tone) and volume (projection). after you sing a few notes take the egg out and try singing a song..you will notice a difference.

Im sure you will be able to tell when the quality of your voice lowers and your projection and resonating is not as loud anymore. this means its time to use the egg again..

If your singing correctly and comfortability your voice should be very loud in your head.

don't knock it till ya try it!

I LOVE that you mentioned this. My teacher would often tell me "sing like you have an egg on your tongue and you don't want to break it".

So yeah here are some breathing exercises from my lyrical (opera) singing lessons:

--------------------------------------------

Writing these down is a little weird as it would really help if I could TELL you the sound, but I will do my best to explain them. I will explain the sounds first and then write out the exercises.

You want to think of all of these as the kind of sound that would be annoying when you're on a microphone. You need all that air behind it, if you were on a mic without a pop shield it would be making those plosive sounds.

R- rrruh (rolled r)
P- Puh (exaggerated P noise)
T- Tuh (exaggerated T noise)
K- Kuh (exaggerated K noise)

Ssh- Shhhh (like you're telling someone to be quiet)
Sss- sss (snake noise, call upon your inner snake!)
Ch- huch (a german ch, sorta like you're hawking a loogie)
Ft- Ffffit (kinda like you want to let out a certain curse word that starts with F but you decide not to and hold it in.. to disguise it you say a T sound at the end) best way I can think to explain it, lol
Wht- Whhhht (sort of like a whistle, but without the whistling and more wind. Ends with an exaggerated T)

All of those sounds when you make them should be coming from your diaphragm. You should start feeling your lower abdomen move (around your navel), that is how you know you're doing them right.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So here is the exercise set, generally done as if they were quarter notes (I'm bad at reading music, but this is what I have written):

R, P, T, K x2
Ssh, Ssh, Ssh, Ssh x4
Sss, Sss, Sss, Sss x4
Ch, Ch, Ch, Ch x4
Ft, Ft, Ft, Ft x4
Wht, Wht, Wht, Wht x4

That is the set.. It'd be like:

Ruh, Puh, Tuh, Kuh
Ruh, Puh, Tuh, Kuh

Ssh, Shh, Shh, Shh
Shh, Shh, Shh, Shh
Ssh, Shh, Shh, Shh
Ssh, Shh, Shh, Shh

Sss, Sss, Sss, Sss,
Sss, Sss, Sss, Sss,
Sss, Sss, Sss, Sss,
Sss, Sss, Sss, Sss,

Etc

You do that set FIVE times.

Once a day is probably good practice.
Anexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 AM   #57
queenofthenight

One exercise I use is the 1-3-5-1-5-3-1 major scale pattern. Say you're starting on middle C. Let's say middle C is C and the octave higher is C'. That would go C-E-G-C'-G-E-C. Solfege would be do mi so do so mi do. Also using these scale degrees is a staccato exercise that goes 1-3-5-1-1-1-1-5-3-1.

Also useful is an exercise from one of the bel canto books I have that goes up and down the scale on whole notes, doing a gentle crescendo and decrescendo on each note.

For breath control and diction, I like this spoken exercise:
What a to-do to die today at a minute or two to two, a thing distinctly hard to say and harder still to to, for they'll beat a tattoo at twenty to two, a rat-a-tat-tat-a-tat-tat-a-tat-too, and a dragon will come when he hears the drum at a minute or two to two today, a minute or two to two.
The goal is to eventually be able to say it clearly and distinctly in one breath.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #58
Robbin'TheHood
Reggae Freak

How do you properly "inhale ones voice?" I'm doing it by taking a deep breath and holding it in my mouth/throat before singing each line. Any help with this? Thanks.
Quote:
Quote:
Too much Sublime.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #59
cutecub00
Banned

Breathing from the diaphragm can give better sound or voice than breathing from the nose..

New Hindi Song Lyrics
cutecub00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #60
whalepudding
UG Lovely Member

Quote:
How do you properly "inhale ones voice?" I'm doing it by taking a deep breath and holding it in my mouth/throat before singing each line. Any help with this? Thanks.

I'm not anything remotely resembling an expert, but the way I understand it is that you sing normally, but rather than seeming to project your voice straight outward, imagine inhaling it into your face as you sing and allowing it to resonate in your head. I don't think it's a drastic change in technique, I think it's a subtle change in where you aim your voice, and visualising an inhalation of sound is a good way of working out how to do it.

http://belcanto.myseriestv.com/showList.php

The sixth video there deals with it.

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-her...id=33&Itemid=35

The steps there also help.

Last edited by whalepudding : 04-24-2011 at 02:32 AM.
whalepudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: