Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

The Growling Thread 2.0

Before asking any questions, CLICK HERE OR BE SLAIN

***Please read this entire post before posting yourself***

Here's how this is going to work. I don't have a lot of free time lately and I don't proclaim to have all of the answers in any field. It is because of this that I am opening this faq to all of the metal forum goers who have knowledge of death/black growls/gutturals/shrieks and thrash vocals.

I am going to be editing these posts for some time with a list of guides/tips for all of the different types of extreme vocals within the metal spectrum.
King for Decap!

Last edited by King ofKumbucha : 07-21-2012 at 09:24 PM.
King ofKumbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

General Tips:

• You can't sound exactly like your favourite vocalist. Everyones voice is different. This is akin to everyone having a different singing voice.
    Instead of copying Åkerfeldt, Benton, Corpsegrinder etc, try to find your own sound/voice.
    [Guitarmike123]

• If you are younger than 16, be extra careful. Your vocal chords are developing and could suffer damage from improper technique (note that this isn't an "official age limit" everyone develops on a different time line).
    [Guitarmike123]

• Do not "cup" the mic (unless you are inhaling/doing brutal guttural vox which need cupping to be heard in a band situation (e.g. Disgorge) - King)! A lot of serious growlers consider this cheating. If you lack the power and have to cup, practice more instead.
    [Guitarmike123]

• You do not have to learn how to sing in order to growl nor is there any evidence to suggest it will help. This is something that is often said however it is speculation at best. To offer such advice on such an unexplored art form is foolish. It may help just as donating time to a local soup line may get you laid by that busty girl in your English class. If you want to explore the possibility, feel free but I would suggest that your time would be better spent practicing your growls if this is the type of vocal in which you wish to become proficient.
    [King ofkumbucha]

Guide to getting started with Death metal power exhales By King ofKumbucha:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King ofKumbucha
Ok, so basically, when it comes to power with death exhales you can't be worried about how deep your voice is. If you are so focused on sounding brutal that your growl comes out like a whisper (volume or tone wise) then you are doing it wrong. I'm going to go against convention here and say PUSH

Yes, it will make your throat sore for a while. (after a few minutes hurting is when you stop for the day)
Yes, you will sound fucking awful for a while (a few months practicing every day most likely)
Yes, your band will consider getting someone else.

I'm telling you, pushing your voices limit is the only way to break that limit. Technique will only get you so far and should only be employed once you have a solid foundation, aka a powerful voice.

I don't even eq my voice during practice anymore (no echo/delay/compression/parametric/3 band etc...) because it sounds great without it. I am convinced that only comes from months of practicing every day without any sort of crutch...

I use a shitty 100 watt pa and I can hear myself over two 100w guitar amps and a triggered drum kit. It isn't as loud as it should be but I still use it because it forces me to push harder, kind of like weight training... You struggle to lift 150lbs every day and when it comes time to show off for that hot blonde who's face you want to fuck you'll be able to lift 100lbs like it's nothing.

Bottom line, when it comes time for a show and the volume is good on a solid venue pa with compression and a touch of reverb and eqed parametrically, and you've been practicing without any of that working on your volume and tone bare bones... that's when you'll sound fucking amazing.

F.A.Q.'s:

Guide to getting started with Brutal Gutturals By Insideac:

Quote:
Originally Posted by insideac
How to do Gutturals

F.A.Q.'s:

Guide to getting started with Inhales:

F.A.Q.'s:

Guide to getting started with Thrash vocals:

F.A.Q.'s

Disclaimer: I realize that in the end, vocals must be experimented with and technique may go out the window... these are simply meant for the absolute beginner who may have just heard Tomb of The Mutilated for the first time and says "Gee, I wonder how he does that!" By no means are these guides to be all inclusive. There is always a way to refine technique.

Good vocals are expressed, not executed.
King for Decap!

Last edited by King ofKumbucha : 07-21-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Guide to getting started with Black metal rasps by Slaytanic1993:

Many people will tell you that black metal vocals cannot truly be expressed without ruining your vocal chords. Honestly, if you’re into Neige’s and Varg’s vocals, that’s pretty much true. But, I can tell you a simple way of getting vocals similar to Ihsahn all the way to Jon Haughm of Agalloch. Now, you must know how to sing with your head voice to be able to perform either vocal.

Okay, for the rasp vocals, these are much easier than shrieks. Rasps are much easier because they are inherently quiet and don’t require much “emphasis” to explore. The vocals begin, as with all extreme vocals, by pushing from your lower abdominal area. Then, the difference is that you have some nasal control, in that you should close your throat a bit and pushing your tongue against the back of your teeth in a curved, like rippling waves. Then, as you see fit, add power or volume. The rasp is not a “powerful” form of vocal, so if you wish to stay true to the vocals original idea just leave the power behind.

For vocals similar to like Beherit or Venom, it is simply thrash yelling, with a bit of phlegm.

Shrieks, shriekedy shrieks.
Now, all of you know that these are the most predominant vocals in black metal. What most of you probably don’t know is these can be done without ruining your singing voice, or voice in general. Like guttural vocals, shrieks are begun in the abdomen, and then pushed through the throat. What makes shrieks different is the fact that you use your head voice to infuse the almost falsetto edge to the shriek. For the type of vocal similar to, say, Ihsahn you will need as little phlegm in your throat as possible. It is recommended to drink lukewarm water before practicing, as this eliminates the phlegm. Now, when you get your vocals into the throat stage, it is entirely necessary to open up your throat. I REPEAT: do not close your throat up, as this will cause hacking and coughing which is very bad for your vocals. Now, before you start falsetto-ing your way to being the next King Diamond, remember that you must keep a source of phlegm in order to keep the raw edge of black metal. If you try the vocals of Maniac from Mayhem, for example, you will hear a slight distortion. Yes, they used reverb and this caused a distortion effect which further empowered the shriek. So, you’ve got to the throat, and now you have to add your head voice in to get that insanely high edge, which will take at least 2 to 3 months to get at least somewhat well down.

F.A.Q.'s:
King for Decap!

Last edited by King ofKumbucha : 04-28-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Scowmoo's Audio Tutorial for 'melodic growling':
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1057041
King for Decap!

Last edited by King ofKumbucha : 07-20-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

***reserved
King for Decap!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Last one
King for Decap!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
MetalMessiah665
Blasphemofukker General

u dont need any thred 4 grwoliez cuz iz no talented anyway i could do it but im not ghey ololololololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote:
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!

Last edited by MetalMessiah665 : 02-24-2009 at 07:22 PM.
MetalMessiah665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns

Who cares about doing it right

Tearing up your vocal chords is way more metal man!
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Damn Messiah... even for you that was the fastest spam I've ever seen :p

Anyway, I'll be out for a bit but when I come back tonight I hope that some of you will have chosen to contribute. I will be typing up a very basic power exhale guide later.
King for Decap!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
GBcommander

I thought this was a pretty decent guide on how to growl. Helped some of the people in the old thread.

http://www.wikihow.com/Growl

Then I woke up and life sucked.
GBcommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior

That was very quick. I wasn't expecting a mock-up of this thread for a while.
\Powerslave/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
MetalMessiah665
Blasphemofukker General

Quote:
That was very quick. I wasn't expecting a mock-up of this thread for a while.

Then you should have told King to start it while I was at school

Quote:
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote:
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
MetalMessiah665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
Guitarmike123

The worthlessness of The Zen of Screaming has to be mentioned. Otherwise I'll see if I can type something up.
Guitarmike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
Lappo
High Inquisitor

I like this--good idea, good potential.
Lappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmike123
The worthlessness of The Zen of Screaming has to be mentioned. Otherwise I'll see if I can type something up.

Done. Reread the intro post

FAQ's will be constantly updated from the bulk of this thread. Otherwise I'd appreciate it if general tips/whole guides (if anyone wishes to tackle a topic) were pm'ed to me directly.

It will make it easier than having to read through the entire thread as it gets larger,
King for Decap!

Last edited by King ofKumbucha : 02-24-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka

I can give a very simple (non anatomical) relation on black metal rasps and shrieks. And, the Abbath froggy.

Do want?
Originally Posted by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Slaytanic1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
Guitarmike123

Quote:
Originally Posted by King ofKumbucha
Done. Reread the intro post

Great
Guitarmike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #18
xChristgrindeRx
Mother Earth Fire Thunder

Here's some advice I gave to a kid on Youtube who commented on my videos about 2 months ago. You don't have to add them, since they're fairly common sense I presume, but feel free to tweak them how you like.

- Keep the mic out of your mouth or you're gonna look like a p*ssy (choking on c*ck is not the way to go, unless you're Helmuth, then you have right to slobber on the mic).
- You have to play around with your mouth, throat, and muscles to get out a different sound/tempo/pitch
- If you feel yourself choking up while going for a long growl, just kinda, play around with your various stomach muscles (not throat). This will help sustain it much longer.
- Try different tempos. Some people find themselves better at shrieks while others like guttural, and some in between.
- When you hear a vocalist, try and imitate it. It's good to have your own sound, definitely, but be diverse. You'll certainly have to practice to sound like them. I'm still practicing on getting that Nergal sound, but with practice I'm getting closer; do the same.
- Sometimes the best vocal workout, is simply a sustained growl.
- Practice. Yes, it's a repetitive note, but it's not too difficult with guttural/shrieks. I do it in the shower all the time (a lot of Naglfar and Dimmu too), and it helps. Do it while walking, listening to metal, and the best way... record it! I'm not in a band, yet, but I still make covers. The first time I tried to make a cover, I got out my mic and started trying, and it sounded like ****. Then, a week later, I felt the balls to make my Hammer Smashed Face, my second vocal recording. Since then, with advice and motivational comments, I've been making more.
- Last tip. I can't stress this enough. My guitar teacher once told me when I went to try out for guitar in a prog. death metal band, "If they can't tell you why you suck, they have no reason to say you suck". Of course this means, if they can't explain their criticism, they're either envious, ignorant, or just stupid. Don't let some arrogant a*sf*ck tell you that you're bad without advice or explanation.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

^Yes, some of that is fairly common sense but remember that an absolute beginner won't know any of this. These topics will be covered in my contribution later in greater detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytanic1993
I can give a very simple (non anatomical) relation on black metal rasps and shrieks. And, the Abbath froggy.

Do want?

Affirmative
King for Decap!

Last edited by King ofKumbucha : 02-24-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #20
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka

I'll start a rough draft as I have issues relating what my body does to words.

Originally Posted by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Slaytanic1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: