Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #61
madbasslover
UG's ***** Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by blood8815
how do you do Devin Townsend like vocals? and i mean clean and growled ones

Devin Townsend's vocals are pretty standard as far as technique goes. He just has a unique voice.

EDIT:
Quote:

well i suck at singing high and thats what i need help on

Are you talking about those really high pitched screams he does? I think those are best left untouched unless you've already got impeccable technique and know what you're doing.

D E N S E_F R E N E T I C_N O I S E

Last edited by madbasslover : 03-12-2009 at 09:23 PM.
madbasslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #62
GBcommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Man16
Anyone?

One more thing, today my throat's sore, like when you're sick. Should you feel a vibration in your chest while you're growling.

It seems like your doing it wrong. The only time my throat hurt is when I was doing it incorrectly. Make sure your pushing the air up from your abs. It should feel like you are flexing them. Also to tell if your doing it correctly, your shoulders shouldnt rise when you breath in and when you do exales your stomach should move inward, since the air is rising up from there and passing over the vocal cords causing the distortion.

Then I woke up and life sucked.
GBcommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #63
blood8815
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbasslover
Devin Townsend's vocals are pretty standard as far as technique goes. He just has a unique voice.

EDIT:

Are you talking about those really high pitched screams he does? I think those are best left untouched unless you've already got impeccable technique and know what you're doing.

not that, i mean his regular screams, i cant get a decent high scream

blood8815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #64
madbasslover
UG's ***** Hands

Quote:
not that, i mean his regular screams, i cant get a decent high scream

It could be that his scream is naturally kind of high and your voice is deeper than his or it could be that you simply need to work on your technique a bit more. If your voice is significantly deeper than his you won't be able to sound like him even if you're hitting the exact same pitch. If it's an issue of technique, you just need to work on it. His screams are naturally kind of high, so if it strains you to do them, just work on other stuff until you get better and then try doing his stuff again. I used to try using Devin Townsend material to practice my screams and I'm lucky I didn't ruin my vocal cords.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM   #65
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Frankly, Blood, you should worry more about forming your style of screams. It will get you farther than sounding like Devy.
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic
severed-metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #66
blood8815
UG Board King

Quote:
It could be that his scream is naturally kind of high and your voice is deeper than his or it could be that you simply need to work on your technique a bit more. If your voice is significantly deeper than his you won't be able to sound like him even if you're hitting the exact same pitch. If it's an issue of technique, you just need to work on it. His screams are naturally kind of high, so if it strains you to do them, just work on other stuff until you get better and then try doing his stuff again. I used to try using Devin Townsend material to practice my screams and I'm lucky I didn't ruin my vocal cords.

yeah, my growls are pretty low and i have a bit of trouble in the high register. what about singing high cleanly and staying in tune?

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
Frankly, Blood, you should worry more about forming your style of screams. It will get you farther than sounding like Devy.

its not abou sounding like devy, i just want to have a wider range since im pretty much limited to a low register

Last edited by blood8815 : 03-12-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #67
madbasslover
UG's ***** Hands

Quote:
yeah, my growls are pretty low and i have a bit of trouble in the high register. what about singing high cleanly and staying in tune?

its not abou sounding like devy, i just want to have a wider range since im pretty much limited to a low register

Well, depending on your range you may have to work a bit for it or you may never sound like Devin Townsend. If the issue is that your voice is naturally too low, then you need to find out what your singing range is before you go any further or you WILL hurt yourself trying to sing like he does.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #68
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

You'll just need to practice then, Blood. But, as madbasslover said, don't strain yourself looking for that perfection...you'll get there with practice.
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic
severed-metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #69
blood8815
UG Board King

Quote:
Well, depending on your range you may have to work a bit for it or you may never sound like Devin Townsend. If the issue is that your voice is naturally too low, then you need to find out what your singing range is before you go any further or you WILL hurt yourself trying to sing like he does.

so i will have to work my way up?
and also, will singing lessons help at all?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #70
GBcommander

Yes, and Yes. Singing lessons help massively because your teacher can hone in on exactly what you have a problem with and help you.

Then I woke up and life sucked.
GBcommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #71
madbasslover
UG's ***** Hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBcommander
Yes, and Yes. Singing lessons help massively because your teacher can hone in on exactly what you have a problem with and help you.

This. Some people are born knowing how to do screams and will tell you that you don't need lessons. If you're not one of those people, ignore them. Singing lessons will help you learn proper technique for normal singing and teach you how to properly utilize the anatomy of your voice so that you can make better progress towards safe, quality screams.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #72
NeonTerror

Ugh. I been practicing my gutturals today. I was having trouble with them badly. I couldn't hold the note but for the first time in my life I think I've used my diaphragm to produce such vocals. If i do not suck in a whole bunch of air and push it out with my abdomen. These vocals stop in a matter of seconds and I cough.

They aren't great by any means, but most people don't realize how hard gutturals actually are :0 Cephalotripsy was my main influence.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/56961763b9965ffe/

The end was done on purpose lol... throwing up hairball.

I'm still not sure how some bands do that gurgle sound. I;m not sure if its even the same technique as a growl, because what I did isn't. No power behind it, just straight guttural noise.

Last edited by NeonTerror : 03-13-2009 at 08:27 AM.
NeonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #73
blood8815
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by King ofKumbucha
Guide to getting started with Black metal rasps by Slaytanic1993:

Many people will tell you that black metal vocals cannot truly be expressed without ruining your vocal chords. Honestly, if you’re into Neige’s and Varg’s vocals, that’s pretty much true. But, I can tell you a simple way of getting vocals similar to Ihsahn all the way to Jon Haughm of Agalloch. Now, you must know how to sing with your head voice to be able to perform either vocal.

Okay, for the rasp vocals, these are much easier than shrieks. Rasps are much easier because they are inherently quiet and don’t require much “emphasis” to explore. The vocals begin, as with all extreme vocals, by pushing from your lower abdominal area. Then, the difference is that you have some nasal control, in that you should close your throat a bit and pushing your tongue against the back of your teeth in a curved, like rippling waves. Then, as you see fit, add power or volume. The rasp is not a “powerful” form of vocal, so if you wish to stay true to the vocals original idea just leave the power behind.

For vocals similar to like Beherit or Venom, it is simply thrash yelling, with a bit of phlegm.

Shrieks, shriekedy shrieks.
Now, all of you know that these are the most predominant vocals in black metal. What most of you probably don’t know is these can be done without ruining your singing voice, or voice in general. Like guttural vocals, shrieks are begun in the abdomen, and then pushed through the throat. What makes shrieks different is the fact that you use your head voice to infuse the almost falsetto edge to the shriek. For the type of vocal similar to, say, Ihsahn you will need as little phlegm in your throat as possible. It is recommended to drink lukewarm water before practicing, as this eliminates the phlegm. Now, when you get your vocals into the throat stage, it is entirely necessary to open up your throat. I REPEAT: do not close your throat up, as this will cause hacking and coughing which is very bad for your vocals. Now, before you start falsetto-ing your way to being the next King Diamond, remember that you must keep a source of phlegm in order to keep the raw edge of black metal. If you try the vocals of Maniac from Mayhem, for example, you will hear a slight distortion. Yes, they used reverb and this caused a distortion effect which further empowered the shriek. So, you’ve got to the throat, and now you have to add your head voice in to get that insanely high edge, which will take at least 2 to 3 months to get at least somewhat well down.

F.A.Q.'s:

Jesus Christ i love you

Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #74
Athetosis
has no useful title

Semi-reviving the thread, since it's a good resource, and Kumbucha never even wrote that basic exhale tutorial he said he was going to do. Get on it, you bum

On topic, my growls pop quite a bit when I try to do anything that's not really low. I realize this is due to me tightening my throat too much, but when I loosen it, I lose the growl. Do I need to hit that perfect equilibrium between tightness/looseness, or might it be something else?

Oh, and I can do lows fine (though they're a bit gurgly), it's just mids/highs that I can't seem to shape my throat properly for.

That'll make you look mad.
Athetosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #75
\m/Gaz

I didn't know there was a V2.0
Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #76
Athetosis
has no useful title

Quote:
Originally Posted by \m/Gaz
I didn't know there was a V2.0

It's why the first one ended. Kumbucha linked to it in the last post there

That'll make you look mad.
Athetosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #77
Monolith295
Life iz Hell

Does anyone know how I can get really low lows? Like those of Disgorge or Infernal Revulsion.

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsTi...feature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Monolith295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #78
King ofKumbucha
Gore not Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athetosis
Semi-reviving the thread, since it's a good resource, and Kumbucha never even wrote that basic exhale tutorial he said he was going to do. Get on it, you bum

On topic, my growls pop quite a bit when I try to do anything that's not really low. I realize this is due to me tightening my throat too much, but when I loosen it, I lose the growl. Do I need to hit that perfect equilibrium between tightness/looseness, or might it be something else?

Oh, and I can do lows fine (though they're a bit gurgly), it's just mids/highs that I can't seem to shape my throat properly for.

I'm sorry. Been working early mornings lately and having band practice at night... tired as hell by the time I get home.
King for Decap!
King ofKumbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #79
MasterOfTheAxe
Metal Warrior

So, I've been on/off practicing a decent growl for about 2 years now, but I still don't know if I'm doing it right.

I'll push through my abs, but when I try to growl, half the time it just sounds like compressed air xD. The other half of the time it pretty much works. What's going on? I might not know what "opening up my throat" feels like.

Quote:
*seinfeld slap bass solo*

ba doop bop bop bingo badanggg
MasterOfTheAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #80
Tubyboulin
UG Spammer

When you guys growl, can you still feel it in your throat like vibrating a bit? I always read "DONT USE YOUR THROAT!" and I do push from my stomach, but yeah I can still feel the growl in my throat. It hurt a bit after the first day, but thats gone away pretty much. Am I doing it right?

I still can't do high growls. I want to do Amon Amarth style vocals, and I always close my throat when I try to get higher.

I Should probobly have waited for a Death FAQ to be put up, but in the meantime...
SG Commando #4

It's Solo Time
The Loud
Tubyboulin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: